Contest

64 replies to this topic

#21 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:06 AM

24 hours left to add a story to win cyclops or other stuff!
Hurry hurry we need more stories.

+bump Posted Image

#22 Ibrandul Mike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:41 PM

done ... :)

#23 Highlighter

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:12 PM

Man, I want to continue the story I posted. Well, I already have. I've forgotten how much I enjoyed writing Battletech. It'd be fun to post here too. Ah well.

#24 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:38 PM

Cool stories guys! Been fun reading them! I finally got mine in after its been stewing for a week or two.

#25 DeLaguna

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 6 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:26 PM

Commander's Log

Date: Classified
Mission: Classified
Year: 3050

Command Mech: Loadout
  • 10 Single Heat Sinks
  • RT: Gauss Rifle & 2Tons Ammo Protected with CASE
  • LA: Medium Laser
  • RA: Medium Laser
  • CT: Medium Laser
  • LT: C3 Master
  • B-2000 Computer

0500 hours : Abord Dropship on the way to the fight.
Today I will take my top of the line Cylops into battle today. The other commanders don't understand why I got this thing, but then again many of them didn't start on the front lines of battle like I have. How many of them ever piloted an ATLAS. They say spare parts are hard to find, and the Cyclops is weak. Most Mechs are weak if you know where to attack. Anyways, so the factory was destroyed in Caph but that was a long time ago, I trust Grumium Creations, I mean it's 3050! Leave the past in the past. My CP-11-C Variant is the best they have put out. I can command my troop and snipe at the Enemies weakness-exposing them for my men. It's a shame they had to remove the LRM's but that's what I have my men for. The new C3 Computer allows me to do so much more tactically. Not to mention they were able to put on 2 more tons of armor. I will say though I would love to remove this Gauss Rifle with its dangerous capacitors, however with it Case protected I should be safe. I almost crippled my ATLAS running a Gauss Rifle, my Case protection was the only thing to save me, made me a believer. If I had my way though I would switch it out with an ERPPC not as strong but if I threw in another C3 computer or something I could lead precision attacks on the enemy with better intel.

Unlike Brigadier C. Enright, I won't be as brash with my Cyclops. One thing I don't think he understands that you can be fluid and surprising without having to take huge risks. Anyways mine isn't painted Blue and White like a big target. My Cyclops fresh off the Factory floor I am using a special Camo, that will hide me from the enemy. I am not allowed to divulge more as I called in some favors from a Black Ops Regiment, working on some crazy Mech they didn't share the details but they told me some of the technology was researched for a model (BMT-3RX) and told me to upgrade to that mech if I wanted even better surprise factor. They didn't say when they would be finished with it. I could have pulled rank but I have a lot of respect for that unit, ever since that mysterious accident where a whole mech teleported and just disappeared test crew and everything.

I know some men put Extra decoy shields around the Cyclops Cockpit but seems to me that only increased the casualty and injury rate. If I keep my distance and use my lances correctly I should be able to avoid hits to the head.

Well, I have to power up the B-2000 and rally the men. Yea you read that Right I got one of the models with an operational B-2000 Computer by adjusting the parameters a little everything works great. Thanks to my rank they reserved it for me. Now do not go thinking life is easy, I paid my dues, unlike some other Officers. I didn't start with rank, I earned all my rank through hard battlefield promotions. I have seen things and done things that would have scrambled lesser men's minds. We all have our reasons for taking up arms. But as I tell my men. We do this So Others may live.

1300 hours : Quick SITREP
We had our first contact around 1100. A lance of light mechs, 2 Kit Foxes and Adders came up over the horizon, faster than I have ever seen them move, I spooled up the Gauss Rifle. Gave the orders to my men, not to give chase but to put them down. Sure enough no sooner had they been spotted, we saw a rain of LRMS in the air. I had my men form up so the AMS among them protected the others. While the Men with Guardian ECM moved into LRM Defence formation. The LRM threat nullified for the moment I turned my attention to the Scout lance, that had tried to target us. With precision focus fire I gave fire support to my men, relaying important data to them via my new C3.

Due to its speed and distance, I had to fire my Gauss Rifle, into one of the threats. I could see the round tearing through its armor in a shower of sparks. That hit combined with my men's directed fire destroyed the mechs leg, and following my lead, my men finished the job, putting the critically wounded mech down.

The attack continued with a couple of my men taking a beating, but when the sizzling of heatsinks and rumble of AutoCannon fire stopped, we were victorious. Partly due to my Cylops, and mostly to the valor of my men.

Our Mechs stand proud my Cyclops like a monster worthy of Commanding Respect. Its gaze over the Battlefield piercing but confident.

The skirmish had been won, but not the battle it would be a while before we were truly victorious on that battlefield.

1530 hours : Extract.
My men are currently doing what repairs to our mechs that we can before we fight our way to extract coordinates.

We have had some hard fighting, however, the extra intel and reach the distance of my Cyclops, has given us the advantage. While casualties are a hard fact that any good Commander has to accept, I am proud to say that we have not sustained any total losses today. Along with the salvage that we have taken from the battlefield, we are well equipped for what lay ahead.

Commander D4RK_4NG3L Signing out.
"So Others May Live"

Edited by DeLaguna, 14 May 2016 - 11:28 PM.

#26 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:06 AM

Wow lots of great stories! Posted Image
http://mwomercs.com/...-event-entries/

Only 6 hours left, get those last minute entries in. Posted Image

#27 Windschreiter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Gunsho-ni
  • Gunsho-ni
  • 215 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:38 AM

had a story laid out but family things kept me from writing it down - so I have to pass(~2.5 hours to go).

Thanks for the Event!

#28 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:21 PM

Not a fan of the mech. But I love the fact that someone took the initiative to get something like this going. Good job, whomever!

#29 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:09 PM

View PostDeLaguna, on 14 May 2016 - 11:26 PM, said:

Commander's Log

Date: Classified
Mission: Classified
Year: 3050

Command Mech: Loadout
  • 10 Single Heat Sinks
  • RT: Gauss Rifle & 2Tons Ammo Protected with CASE
  • LA: Medium Laser
  • RA: Medium Laser
  • CT: Medium Laser
  • LT: C3 Master
  • B-2000 Computer
0500 hours : Abord Dropship on the way to the fight.

Today I will take my top of the line Cylops into battle today. The other commanders don't understand why I got this thing, but then again many of them didn't start on the front lines of battle like I have. How many of them ever piloted an ATLAS. They say spare parts are hard to find, and the Cyclops is weak. Most Mechs are weak if you know where to attack. Anyways, so the factory was destroyed in Caph but that was a long time ago, I trust Grumium Creations, I mean it's 3050! Leave the past in the past. My CP-11-C Variant is the best they have put out. I can command my troop and snipe at the Enemies weakness-exposing them for my men. It's a shame they had to remove the LRM's but that's what I have my men for. The new C3 Computer allows me to do so much more tactically. Not to mention they were able to put on 2 more tons of armor. I will say though I would love to remove this Gauss Rifle with its dangerous capacitors, however with it Case protected I should be safe. I almost crippled my ATLAS running a Gauss Rifle, my Case protection was the only thing to save me, made me a believer. If I had my way though I would switch it out with an ERPPC not as strong but if I threw in another C3 computer or something I could lead precision attacks on the enemy with better intel.

Unlike Brigadier C. Enright, I won't be as brash with my Cyclops. One thing I don't think he understands that you can be fluid and surprising without having to take huge risks. Anyways mine isn't painted Blue and White like a big target. My Cyclops fresh off the Factory floor I am using a special Camo, that will hide me from the enemy. I am not allowed to divulge more as I called in some favors from a Black Ops Regiment, working on some crazy Mech they didn't share the details but they told me some of the technology was researched for a model (BMT-3RX) and told me to upgrade to that mech if I wanted even better surprise factor. They didn't say when they would be finished with it. I could have pulled rank but I have a lot of respect for that unit, ever since that mysterious accident where a whole mech teleported and just disappeared test crew and everything.

I know some men put Extra decoy shields around the Cyclops Cockpit but seems to me that only increased the casualty and injury rate. If I keep my distance and use my lances correctly I should be able to avoid hits to the head.

Well, I have to power up the B-2000 and rally the men. Yea you read that Right I got one of the models with an operational B-2000 Computer by adjusting the parameters a little everything works great. Thanks to my rank they reserved it for me. Now do not go thinking life is easy, I paid my dues, unlike some other Officers. I didn't start with rank, I earned all my rank through hard battlefield promotions. I have seen things and done things that would have scrambled lesser men's minds. We all have our reasons for taking up arms. But as I tell my men. We do this So Others may live.

1300 hours : Quick SITREP
We had our first contact around 1100. A lance of light mechs, 2 Kit Foxes and Adders came up over the horizon, faster than I have ever seen them move, I spooled up the Gauss Rifle. Gave the orders to my men, not to give chase but to put them down. Sure enough no sooner had they been spotted, we saw a rain of LRMS in the air. I had my men form up so the AMS among them protected the others. While the Men with Guardian ECM moved into LRM Defence formation. The LRM threat nullified for the moment I turned my attention to the Scout lance, that had tried to target us. With precision focus fire I gave fire support to my men, relaying important data to them via my new C3.

Due to its speed and distance, I had to fire my Gauss Rifle, into one of the threats. I could see the round tearing through its armor in a shower of sparks. That hit combined with my men's directed fire destroyed the mechs leg, and following my lead, my men finished the job, putting the critically wounded mech down.

The attack continued with a couple of my men taking a beating, but when the sizzling of heatsinks and rumble of AutoCannon fire stopped, we were victorious. Partly due to my Cylops, and mostly to the valor of my men.

Our Mechs stand proud my Cyclops like a monster worthy of Commanding Respect. Its gaze over the Battlefield piercing but confident.

The skirmish had been won, but not the battle it would be a while before we were truly victorious on that battlefield.

1530 hours : Extract.
My men are currently doing what repairs to our mechs that we can before we fight our way to extract coordinates.

We have had some hard fighting, however, the extra intel and reach the distance of my Cyclops, has given us the advantage. While casualties are a hard fact that any good Commander has to accept, I am proud to say that we have not sustained any total losses today. Along with the salvage that we have taken from the battlefield, we are well equipped for what lay ahead.

Commander D4RK_4NG3L Signing out.
"So Others May Live"

You need to post it here:
http://mwomercs.com/...-event-entries/

EDIT: NVM, you already did.

Edited by Odanan, 15 May 2016 - 01:10 PM.

#30 Danghen Woolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHarlech, Romulus, Outreach

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:18 PM

Spoiler

If only I had seen this before now...

#31 Aranzor

• PipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:07 AM

Thank you all for the entries! Its great to see not only how many submissions were sent in but also just how many views the contest has already received! A few things I do want to mention:

View PostDanghen Woolf, on 15 May 2016 - 01:18 PM, said:

If only I had seen this before now...

This is definitely a concern as I was surprised into the last few hours just how many people told me personally that they would have submitted something if they had known about the contest sooner. While I did allow a fair amount of time for the contest, I failed to properly get the word out. If you or anyone else have any suggestions for this, it will greatly benefit any future contests!

View PostThom Frankfurt, on 15 May 2016 - 12:21 PM, said:

Not a fan of the mech. But I love the fact that someone took the initiative to get something like this going. Good job, whomever!

Very much appreciated Thom! I must admit the mech's original aesthetics weren't all that appealing to me, but reading the history behind the mech is what caught my interest and got me to want to run this contest. I'll be looking for another chance to run one soon, but I do feel kind of bad that I got into this idea so late and missed out on a chance to promote some of the game's more iconic mechs.

And lastly, special thanks goes out to Max Rickson, Ibrandul Mike, and anyone else out there who helped to promote this!

#32 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:23 AM

Is it too late to do one quick vocabulary edit, or context edit?

#33 Aranzor

• PipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:25 AM

View PostBlind Baku, on 16 May 2016 - 06:23 AM, said:

Is it too late to do one quick vocabulary edit, or context edit?

Sadly going to to say yes, mostly because I've started reading the stories (not sure yet about the other judges, need to check on that) and making my selections. Any changes from here on would require rechecking each story and we want to make sure to get the prizes out in time.

#34 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:31 AM

View PostAranzor, on 16 May 2016 - 07:25 AM, said:

Sadly going to to say yes, mostly because I've started reading the stories (not sure yet about the other judges, need to check on that) and making my selections. Any changes from here on would require rechecking each story and we want to make sure to get the prizes out in time.

Perfectly understandable! Thanks for the comp!

#35 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:17 PM

Good luck friends! Karl, I hope your story about Mechs + PacNW destruction gets some love. It was really nice. Great read! xD

#36 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:28 PM

I'd like to say thanks Aranzor for doing this event & PGI, I haven't done fan-fiction in a long time and was great fun to try.

As for getting the word out more next time... perhaps ask PGI if they could mention in one of their Latest News announcements, also facebook, and twitter. For something crazier maybe ask what's needed for you to get a spot on PGI's radio chatter section or youtube???

It's nice to see that the judges won't have an easy time to decide, plus I liked all the stories so imo great work everyone!

#37 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:47 PM

Great work fellow writers.

#38 Highlighter

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:26 PM

I think Catalyst Games advertised this on Twitter. That's how I saw it. But, I agree, PGI should also advertise contests like these via their social media contacts.

#39 Aranzor

• PipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:18 PM

View PostHighlighter, on 17 May 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

I think Catalyst Games advertised this on Twitter. That's how I saw it. But, I agree, PGI should also advertise contests like these via their social media contacts.

Whoa Whoa Whoa....Seriously? Dude don't mess with me like that! Can you send me a link to this?!

#40 Highlighter

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:32 AM

View PostAranzor, on 17 May 2016 - 08:18 PM, said:

Whoa Whoa Whoa....Seriously? Dude don't mess with me like that! Can you send me a link to this?!

Sorry, my memory was wrong. :(

PGI shared the contest on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/...147607093870592

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users