52 replies to this topic

#21 Evil Tiki Tiki

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts
  • LocationGulfport, MS

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:35 PM

For collecting, I use the Raven 3L with 3 medium lasers and 2 srm 4s with ecm.
For protecting, I have found good love for the KTO-GB with 3 medium pulses, 5 srm4s. A little on the slow side, but packs a punch.

That is just me though.

#22 Murphy7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:40 AM

9th Sword scouting doctrine is pretty similar to what JohnnyBlue describes, but we like the Hunchback 4SPx3 and an Oxide.

#23 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:50 AM

4 oxide lance... pretty dang potent.

Clans would have to counter with tons of streak boats, but because that is not always viable, you may only see them occasionally..

#24 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:55 AM

It's good to have a blend, but:

Oxide
Griff 2N
Cent AH

Big alpha brawlers, in other words.

I've seen a lot of people running my beloved CDAs, but in my opinion, they're really situational: they aren't fast enough to get away from Crows, they don't have enough armor to tank, they're too big to hide and seek. It seems like they'd be a natural fit for Scout, but I only see them survive in 4-0 slaughters.

#25 Argent Kaiser

• Pip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:11 AM

Whenever we lose a match if it wasn't purely because the enemy decided to leg us ((It is infuriating when this happens, I mean come on you already have better mechs than us you can even give us a straight up fight? Clan mechs are already ****** enough being so damn fragile and considering the clans only have 4 viable mechs for scouting. Storm Crow, Hunchback IIC, Jenner IIC, and Arctic Cheetah.)) It was often because of the uberfast locusts making that last mad dash for the drop zone. Or in case when we are trying to gather intel, the gryphon and the blackjack (but not the arrow, that mech is hot garbage in scouting) just carrying so damn many weapons and still being fast closers.

Whenever I see a Crab I'm not to worried, but whenever I see any of the mechs I just mentioned we do our best to focus them down ASAP. If anyone recognizes me from games and I called you legging ****** I would like to apologize, its just so frustrating to not have a chance at a fair fight.

Edited by Argent Kaiser, 09 May 2016 - 08:12 AM.

#26 JohnnyBlue07

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 66 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:51 AM

View PostArgent Kaiser, on 09 May 2016 - 08:11 AM, said:

If anyone recognizes me from games and I called you legging ****** I would like to apologize, its just so frustrating to not have a chance at a fair fight.

I don't recognize your name, but I often get salty remarks at the end of scouting matches because a premade lance of NS (my unit) legged every enemy mech regardless if it's protect or gather intel. I mean, what can I say to that besides better coordination trumps lack of coordination. :|

#27 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:57 AM

View PostArgent Kaiser, on 09 May 2016 - 08:11 AM, said:

Whenever I see a Crab I'm not to worried, but whenever I see any of the mechs I just mentioned we do our best to focus them down ASAP. If anyone recognizes me from games and I called you legging ****** I would like to apologize, its just so frustrating to not have a chance at a fair fight.

I think I recognize your name and yeah - I probably legged you with my Oxide. Often, my rallying cry for the last mech left alive is "Leg them and leave them!" so my team can collect as many points as possible. No hard feelings.

#28 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:05 AM

Know your objectives before you drop. If your objective's include 'killing the enemy' then don't drop in your speedy raven, commando or whatever and then cry foul when enemy storm-crows drop you like a sack of sad. ESPECIALLY don't run off alone and expect to take a pack of crows in your commando.

Storm-crows move at 104 kph, easily. You need to move at least 40 KPH FASTER than that if you want to play run and snipe against them, and you're not going to have time to do that if the enemy's objectives can be satisfied by ignoring you. Or if one of them brought ranged weaponry. CerML will still scrape your face off at most ranges you'll be engaged at in scouting. Legs are the only viable way to kill a crow, as they can usually torso twist damage off their center torsos. Since they're generally tough enough and fast enough that you're not going to be able to keep them from blitzing the drop-ship, about the best you can do is try to ambush them at known concentrations of data pickups, or if the mission calls for it - avoid them entirely.

Edited by no one, 10 May 2016 - 10:25 AM.

#29 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:06 AM

You know,
I have been in lots of winning drops and the mech choice isn't as important as some simple aspects of the mech.

First, for Gather Intel -- something fast (at least 120) and preference given to ECM. Your whole goal should be to fan out, get to 10 within 2 minutes, spend 30 seconds getting to 14-15 then all charging into the dropzone with almost no time left to extract for the win. We can usually end a gather intel in less than 5 minutes. I know boring but we look at the gather intel as a sacrifice for the glory of your house. If more than one of your team is/has engaged the enemy you are not being efficient. Nothing funnier than having a locust kite stormcrows all around the map while the rest of the team gets 17 data points.

Second, on protect intel, heavy and fast -- nothing less than 45 T and nothing slower than 95 kph. What is of critical importance is to have a flamer (or 2 but no more than 2). Clanners have such awesome alpha-strikes and you can't let them get off more than one. Your flamer is a DPS adjuster. You can drop a clan down to doing almost no damage because they can be kept at a high-heat state easily with the flamers -- a SRM/Streak crow that is forced to chain-fire is a dead crow. Your other weapons you should equip are good DPS weapons. In protect you are either going to wipe them out or, force them to leave with less than 10 data points. And remember EVERYONE IN YOUR GROUP SHOULD BE SHOOTING AT LEGS.

Edited by nehebkau, 11 May 2016 - 08:18 AM.

#30 Iron Buccaneer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 290 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:19 AM

I switch my mechs up depending on the map and mode. Griffin 3M or 2N for protect unless I am on Polar Highlands then I run my Cicada 3M. Cicada 3M, Firestarter, or Raven 3L for Gathering missions. I've considered bringing a Yen-Lo Wang for Caustic Valley defend missions as well.

#31 Danjo San

• Hero of Liao
  • Hero of Liao
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:29 PM

4 oxide, gather and protect, always rekd

#32 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:47 PM

Another member of the Oxide fan-club here. It's on sale now too, so just buy the damn thing. You don't need two Mechs for gathering and protecting, it will do both jobs more than fine.

#33 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:03 PM

Yup a 4 oxide team with all the modules and well piloted is really hard to beat. I would bet 4 skillcrows would have to be extremely coordinated to beat 4 oxides, because even if thr crows try to focus one oxide, it actually could survive the first wave of alphas while his mates are legging the crap out of the crows... their survivability is just sick

#34 TELEFORCE

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:18 PM

I found that two flamers on my Enforcer give Clan 'mechs a very hard time. I've seen them pop on their own or shut down from overheating. So many of them can't regulate their heat in a brawl.

#35 Danjo San

• Hero of Liao
  • Hero of Liao
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 06:02 PM

Had great results today running 2 oxide and 2 Raven 3L (Ravens equipped with ECM, 2 SRM 4 and 2 Med Laser) one Raven helicopters one oxide and the streaknoobs have a hard time targeting, they are as fast as oxides and can keep up easy and a deck of four streaknoobs is countered quite effectively

#36 NUSQUAM

• PipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:35 PM

VS Clanners I have had a lot of success with the FS9-S with dual AMS, two flamers and 4MPL.

They key is to use thermal and choose the target out of a group or choose when to engage the flamers against single targets. The perfect moment is right before they turn white hot, not after, and right before their next salvo. That way you begin firing the flamers as they are firing. You effectively 'sneak' them up to 90% heat before they realize it. Then they fire and over heat thinking they were working with ~70%.

In the case of streakcrows and you're alone, use your superior agility and speed to stay at the edge of your optimal range while ducking in and out of cover. DO NOT CIRCLE-STRAFE. This lets your dual AMS do its work and mitigate their offensive output. Then when they're at 70-80% heat go full tilt into them with the flamers. Most times they'll overheat then you leg them and run; that makes them effectively dead and you can move on to objectives/their teammates. If they catch on or have over ride on then their DPS will drop off significantly. Combine with dual AMS and overload they're tickling you. It's a win-win.

I want to try a lance of 4 FS9-S with that build and go at them. Even if they group up tight, with the right attack location and an arty to break them up each FS9 can 1v1 them and come out on top.

#37 Haji1096

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 339 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:07 PM

Use the GRF-2N with 4SRM6+Artemis, ECM, Five tons ammo, 1 jump jet.

Kill then cap.

#38 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:17 AM

If you are playing the "Scatter and Run" strategy in gather missions, then never bring anything over 25 tons, and when I say anything over 25 tons, I mean only bring Commandos and Locusts, preferably with the biggest XL engine possible. Everything else is just too slow. Stay as far from your teammates as possible.

#39 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:41 AM

View PostRequiemking, on 06 July 2016 - 08:17 AM, said:

If you are playing the "Scatter and Run" strategy in gather missions, then never bring anything over 25 tons, and when I say anything over 25 tons, I mean only bring Commandos and Locusts, preferably with the biggest XL engine possible. Everything else is just too slow. Stay as far from your teammates as possible.

While this is true, most people won't be running it during the event as this tactic will not get you close to the 50 match score, unless you are unfortunate enough to be found by the enemy.... alone. ;)

For what it is worth, I've done the entire event in my Griffin 3M. 1 Med laser & 4 srm4s, with 1 JJ and an XL355. I'm moving at 112kph and hitting hard and fast. It also has +12/13 structure EVERYWHERE so it is extremely durable. The One JJ gives me some added manueverability. I can keep with in striking distance of most clan lights for periods of time, but since they often zig-zag through cover, I can even catch up at times. I rarely run out of ammo, but I do have to be mindful of heat.

My biggest problem was typically outrunning the other mediums in my lance and finding the enemy a little too early, but its great in an interceptor role.

#40 multisoul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • 327 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:20 PM

always teamplay wins and a combination of roles
omg. ams, bap, light mechs... what about weapons?
i experienced excellent team support from Griffins and Hunchbacks, also if there is an experienced light pilot who does not leave the team alone, Oxide is fine
4 lights against srm rain? lol. only if the clanners are recruits or have ping 400 or if you have been training this with your 4-man team

SLOWEST MUST DIE FIRST! (on our team) and thats me in my Shadowhawk, 2xUAC5+2xSRM4, there is a strategy winning with this mech and it includes patience from the team and right moment to protect and flee
other mech i love in scouting is the X-5 and the CIcada with UAC5+mdl most others die too fast facing accurate enemies
in intel gathering escaping is tough more easy is to fight and if it turns bad, the fastest must flee on time

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users