Good Is Scouting Mechs?

52 replies to this topic

#41 Crux7

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:51 AM

well im just going to say now, in my current frustration, that it's very annoying. why did I go IS???
obviously not to enjoy the game in faction play scouting.
sometimes a game goes ok. and yes, this is not coordinated drop, but to try (yeah right) to get scores in the current even.

but often they clan just run off and cant be caught and capture intel so quickly... and scarper. one game they had 2 intel and we had not got out of the drop ship yet....
another we collected intel and they jut hid until the last minute and managed to swarm and kill....
and killing themwhilst defending?... just doesn't happen.
to win at gathering means to get no points, so it';s pointless in the current event where you have to get 50 points.
rally...I am not enjoying it and will stop playing MW fo a while. losing all the time is no fun.
oh yeah and you just try playing with 300 ping; that's what all faction play is since it's on US servers, so for Aussies....its rubbish.
and yes I have that griffin 2n build and the centurions too. spent all my cbills to get them ad build them up and wasted many hours....but in the end it's a waste of time.

#42 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:11 AM

^ if you are getting outrun by Clammers then you are either bringing the wrong mechs or wrong builds. Possibly both.

In the alternative - no offense - your tactics or skill may need some work.

Edited by Boogie138, 17 July 2016 - 01:12 AM.

#43 Count Zero74

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 05:50 PM

Another thread about this "Scouting" thing? What the hell are you guys talking about?

#44 BrunoSSace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 December 2016 - 11:26 PM

I find the way I scout you need a standard engine in your Is mech. The best one atm with the beat quirks is theHunchback 4SP. It has insane structure quirks. Additional Structure Center Torso+32Additional Structure L/R Arm+16Additional Structure L/R Torso+24Additional Structure L/R Leg+24
Energy Weapon Cooldown10%Medium Laser Heat Generation-20%Energy Weapon Heat Generation-15%Missile Weapon Cooldown30%Missile Weapon Velocity10%SRM Spread-10%
Acceleration50%Deceleration50%Turn Rate40%Torso Yaw Speed35%.
Put in max armor,max standard engine 275. 2 sr6 and 5 spl. Fast. Hits hard, kinda cool, super tanky and it will out dps any other mech in the mode with cool down modules equipped. I play with 280ping from Australia I have no trouble beating clanies. Be nice if people knew how to fit their IS mechs better.

Edited by BrunoSSace, 24 December 2016 - 11:38 PM.

#45 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:43 AM

I like where this thread is going, and after driving it a bit I'm seeing why the Crab isn't all that scary to clan pilots. I mean, I like using it, the trouble is it's only as tough as the people shooting it. The leg hitboxes are giant and they don't have that much armor. My Griffin 2N seems to be more reliable. I still think SPL Novas do more DPS, and Shadow Cats have been showing up more and more often. I also see lots of Vipers. Those mechs tend to overheat though. The Blackjack, Griffin, and Centurion are really solid for scouting. I haven't seen many shadowhawks but I bet they'd be fine with the right build (really tall mech though, massive hitboxes). Those that I know who run Cicadas run them like a giant raven. Gathering intel and skirmishing. Oxide is great in a fight, and it's decent enough at the 'smoke dive' but the lack of ECM and Jumpjets kinda hurts it. The Wolverine is basically a griffin with worse geometry. It can work but the hardpoints on most of them aren't really optimal.

I haven't seen a single firestarter in the drops I've been a part of.

A PSA: If you're a new-ish player thinking "I wanna try out scouting!" Here are some mechs to avoid at all costs
DO NOT USE
Kintaro: I see a lot of these with LRMs Posted Image . While with SRMs the Kintaro could probably brawl, it's not known for durability, and arm weapons are also a weakness as you can lose a lot of firepower very quickly. Also the hardpoints are...annoyingly placed so that they're spread out over the whole mech, so your SRMs tend to splat all over the target.
Trebuchet: Another typical LRM medium. Please don't The Variants that don't have missile hardpoints have very sparse hardpoints, all arm mounted. Oh, and it's legendary for bad hitboxes. Loup De Gere is cool though, but not everyone owns it and the best hero for scouting is probably either Oxide or Grey Death.
Hunchback 4J: Only try this if for some reason you don't have a 4SP and you wanna put SRMs on it. The LRM spam may get you loads of end screen damage in 12 v 12, but in 4v4 you aren't going to have anyone to hide behind and you're opponents are going to close with you way too fast. Damage in this mode is all about brutality and you can't reliably stay 190m away from quicker clan mechs like the shadow cat and nova.
Vindicator: Another fire support mech. While an excellent sniper, the Vindicator is too fragile to brawl, and needs support in a close fight. It's also on the slow side for 45 tonners.
Urbanmech: While it's hilarious, it's on the fragile side, and it tends to mount a low number of weapons. It's another 'support mech' It'd be great to actually see a trash-can platoon pull off a win, but for newbies, avoid it for now.

Edited by Starbomber109, 26 December 2016 - 05:48 AM.

#46 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:04 AM

griffin 2n - ECM, 4xSRM6, 1-2 Flamers in the arm. 4-5 tons ammo and a big XL engine.

The ECM, helps you get a bit closer before they detect you. The flamers mitigate the high alpha mechs which are often *high heat* mechs...

In fact, any mech you plan to brawl with (and really, on most maps you should be brawling!) should probably include a flamer or 2. Learn how they work so that you don't cook yourself!

#47 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 04 January 2017 - 11:46 PM

I'm gonna throw in:
Hunchback 4g ac/20
Shawk 2h with ac/20

If you are a half decent shot, that is.
Those clanmechs HATE the 20. Especially the nova is quite vulnerable to ac/20.
I had some good matches lately (though i don't do much fw).

#48 -PUSH-

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 34 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOver yonder

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:05 AM

What mechs to bring isn't as important as coordination of all 4 members in the lance.

We usually drop, gather a few nodes and then deathball it to the enemy. Victory conditions:

- FOCUS FIRE 1 mech at a time
- leg the last one and LEAVE it the F*CK alone
- slowest mech goes to the drop ship
- rest spread out and gather as much intel as possble

Sometimes this tactic doesn't work as we have very bloodthirsty pilots that dont understand the concept of leave the last mech alive but we do ok. ( Yes Taco and yes Bad!! :-P)

As for mechs it doesn't matter what it is as long as it can go close to 100 or above.

I usually like to drop with 2xENF 5P or 4P and 2x GRF splats but anything under the sun works BEUTIFULL if you are on comms, focus fire, work as a team and REMEMBER if you dont have 11 intel points DON KILL the last mech as it will not move the Scouting bar.

(Disclaimer) Below is a video of some of our drops. there is strong adult language so view at own perl (/Disclaimer end)

https://www.twitch.t...the/v/110168357 - Fast forward to around 16-18 min and watch my noob self togter with my unit.

Edited by -PUSH-, 05 January 2017 - 01:08 AM.

#49 Fr0z7y

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 66 posts
  • Locationbehind 73h_m0nz73r

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:11 AM

you can obviously not have artemis, but i have it for times when i don't have it like this, and the placement of the ammo makes them try to core me or whatever, you can also get legged and still have a chance to do damage, or at least not have ammo cookoff and get hit in the mid torso, i dont know, maybe it's just dumb, but i ran like this a lot

i use my thumb mouse (one of them) as my ac 2, my pointer finger mouse as ac5, and my right mouse as my erppc, and i just keep holding down the ac2/5 and pound em, lighting up the erppc every so often.

http://imgur.com/a/NmrAS

#50 Fr0z7y

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:04 AM

also have this mech which i find to be of a variant not needing the phoenix variety

http://imgur.com/a/0PDkt

#51 B0ll0

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 03:50 AM

View PostFr0z7y, on 05 January 2017 - 02:11 AM, said:

you can obviously not have artemis, but i have it for times when i don't have it like this, and the placement of the ammo makes them try to core me or whatever, you can also get legged and still have a chance to do damage, or at least not have ammo cookoff and get hit in the mid torso, i dont know, maybe it's just dumb, but i ran like this a lot

i use my thumb mouse (one of them) as my ac 2, my pointer finger mouse as ac5, and my right mouse as my erppc, and i just keep holding down the ac2/5 and pound em, lighting up the erppc every so often.

http://imgur.com/a/NmrAS

View PostFr0z7y, on 05 January 2017 - 03:04 AM, said:

also have this mech which i find to be of a variant not needing the phoenix variety

http://imgur.com/a/0PDkt

Don't think they are GOOD scouting mechs. Most scouting games end in brawl. Your builds are for distance.
Also the second is much too slow.

#52 Hoshi Toranaga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts
  • LocationAround

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:23 AM

Griffin 2N with ECM and SRMs x4 form group, roflstomp clanners.

#53 Fr0z7y

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:19 AM

View PostB0ll0, on 05 January 2017 - 03:50 AM, said:

Don't think they are GOOD scouting mechs. Most scouting games end in brawl. Your builds are for distance.
Also the second is much too slow.

for a lot of pilots that aren't used to using the dakka of the ballistic cooldown +25% on the phoenix variant and +10% and the extra for the uac5 variant with the side arm of the erppc as bait, then i would agree with you, but i have used it and it turns out to be quite the little pugalist. if you have the c-bills and time to try it, i would say do so. both variants can hold their own (given the less frequent jam chance of the uac5 variant)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users