Question

27 replies to this topic

#21 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:40 PM

We did some testing with AMS against streaks and found some insteresting things:

First off if the streaks are fired below ca 200m range AMS doesn't work.

Most importantly though the effectiveness of AMS depends a lot on the chassis. For example if you fire 2 Streak 6's at a double AMS Crab from the front at over 200m the AMS will shoot nearly all of them down. But on the Crab the AMS will not fire at missiles coming in from the rear.

We tried several other chassis and most of them have dead zones not covered by AMS.

#22 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:57 PM

View PostCount Zero 74, on 03 May 2016 - 01:40 PM, said:

We did some testing with AMS against streaks and found some insteresting things:

First off if the streaks are fired below ca 200m range AMS doesn't work.

Most importantly though the effectiveness of AMS depends a lot on the chassis. For example if you fire 2 Streak 6's at a double AMS Crab from the front at over 200m the AMS will shoot nearly all of them down. But on the Crab the AMS will not fire at missiles coming in from the rear.

We tried several other chassis and most of them have dead zones not covered by AMS.

And here I recall claims that they fixed the deadzone bug. (Many mechs have come out since then; so the real question is such a problem on older mechs that were supposedly 'fixed'?)

That said... Doesn't work as in doesn't react, or doesn't work as in shoots nothing down?

Edited by Koniving, 03 May 2016 - 01:57 PM.

#23 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:01 PM

Doesn't react at all

Some other Mechs we tested:

On a Battlemaster it shoots down SRMs from the rear but not the front.

On a Blacknight it doesn't react to SRMs targeted below the waist-

Of course this only applies to SRMs cause LRMs mostly come from above.

#24 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:03 PM

This is sounding like a big issue. Are you collecting video? Tomorrow I can help out with testing, collect some video as well and send in a report. This may explain why so many think AMS is worthless.

#25 PFC Carsten

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 03 May 2016 - 02:50 PM

View PostKoniving, on 03 May 2016 - 11:45 AM, said:

Still, take it as per second, then it makes sense. Will ask for clarification.

Looking forward to the response.

#26 Deadead

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:29 AM

Any update on this? I was just putting together a 3 ams nova to see how it would do vs inner sphere srm6 spam Griffins and hunchies. If ams is glitchy i will be passing on the idea.

#27 Exard3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:35 AM

I was using a 3x AMS Kit Fox for quite some time. You can effectively reduce SRM damage by a huge margin depending on your range. SRMs from 50m have much less time to travel than SRMs from 290m.

Single AMS almost nullifies LRM5 chainfire and ~30% dmg reduction vs. IS LRM15, even more vs. clans, so single AMS is very useful.

AMS for most mechs is about damage mitigation from missiles, not a hard counter. Special Mechs with 2x AMS (lots of Mechvariants) or 3x AMS (Nova/Kit Fox) can pretty much protect their own team vs. LRMs like ECM does but with way higher range. You can even cover teammates 700m away from you with good positioning.

Edited by Exard3k, 10 September 2016 - 11:13 AM.

#28 Deadead

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:53 PM

I wanna do a nova s double ams (a) torso ams overload and range with one or two shield arms(c, +26 armor) for 3 ams a ton of ams ammo and whatever meager guns i can make fit in whats left. (Last version didnt have ams but had shield arm and 2 lpl,1ml. Was great fun. Thinking i might fit an lpl and 2 ml if im lucky, some mix of 3-5 ml/spl if not. But i wanted to be sure the ams is worthwhile against srm as i havent bought any modules or components and its expensive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users