• The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:43 AM

View Post1453 R, on 06 May 2016 - 09:32 AM, said:

Revis.

Wintersdark is baffled not because he's trying to be a jerk, but because NOBODY KNOWS WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

You seem to be insanely offended that the Night Gyr might get the same sort of heat-transfer quirk they gave the Hellslinger, but you have not yet explained why. Or what your issue actually is, if that's not it.

As has been explained multiple times: in the original tabletop game, and thusly established BattleTech canon, the Laser Heat Sink was an experimental system which was installed in early runs of the Night Gyr. Laser heat sinks use [BATTLETECH MAGITECHNOLOGY] to convert thermal energy into visible-light energy instead, shunting that light outside of the BattleMech for reasons. They do not use convective cooling. As such, laser heat sinks cannot benefit from the increased efficiency of convective cooling in cold environments, but in trade they are unaffected by the decreased efficiency of convective cooling in hot environments.

In terms of gameplay, this effect has already been implement via the Hellslinger's external heat transfer quirk. The Hellslinger does not use laser heat sinks. It is an apocryphal 'Mech designed by Piranha, not Catalyst, FASA, or anyone else, and was given the EHT quirk for Piranha Reasons. The only reason the Hellslinger has been mentioned in this thread at all is specifically and solely for the purpose of citing an existing, in-game example of how such a design feature might be implemented for the Night Gyr. Ramping the EHT quirk up to 75% or even 100%, then applying it to the Gyr, would allow Piranha to simulate the uniquely stable performance profile of laser heat sinks.

That's it. That's all. That is the only reason anyone has mentioned the Hellslinger at all.

Does that help clarify the issue at all?

Posted Image

Long but reasonable explanation. I hope Revis understands.

Wintersdark doesn't usually argue, but he will and point out or ask why. Wintersdark is probably one of the most respectful people here IMO, and he won't insult you unless in some way or form that you insult him or others.

I believe I was the first to mention the hellslinger as well I believe, could be wrong.

#102 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:18 AM

Revis.

Wintersdark is baffled not because he's trying to be a jerk, but because NOBODY KNOWS WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

You seem to be insanely offended that the Night Gyr might get the same sort of heat-transfer quirk they gave the Hellslinger, but you have not yet explained why. Or what your issue actually is, if that's not it.

As has been explained multiple times: in the original tabletop game, and thusly established BattleTech canon, the Laser Heat Sink was an experimental system which was installed in early runs of the Night Gyr. Laser heat sinks use [BATTLETECH MAGITECHNOLOGY] to convert thermal energy into visible-light energy instead, shunting that light outside of the BattleMech for reasons. They do not use convective cooling. As such, laser heat sinks cannot benefit from the increased efficiency of convective cooling in cold environments, but in trade they are unaffected by the decreased efficiency of convective cooling in hot environments.

In terms of gameplay, this effect has already been implement via the Hellslinger's external heat transfer quirk. The Hellslinger does not use laser heat sinks. It is an apocryphal 'Mech designed by Piranha, not Catalyst, FASA, or anyone else, and was given the EHT quirk for Piranha Reasons. The only reason the Hellslinger has been mentioned in this thread at all is specifically and solely for the purpose of citing an existing, in-game example of how such a design feature might be implemented for the Night Gyr. Ramping the EHT quirk up to 75% or even 100%, then applying it to the Gyr, would allow Piranha to simulate the uniquely stable performance profile of laser heat sinks.

That's it. That's all. That is the only reason anyone has mentioned the Hellslinger at all.

It sure does, and thats all i was after. Was some clarity so i dont sound like a doofus (anymore then i already do) when im talking about it. What i was talking about was "what the difference between the Hellslinger and the Night Gyr"? either in Lore, the game, life. i dont care i just was curious if it would behave differently or if it was just a re branded version of what we already see in the Hellslinger. Was it a NEW mechanic or tech or is it just something we already have repackaged for this mech too. I dont have TRO;s nor am i familiar enough with the TT game to know this off the top of my head.

My questions was How does this differ from the Hellslinger, if you cant understand that then i dont think the issue is with me, maybe. But that seems like a perfectly structured question to me. But again, maybe I need to rephrase it im not above that and a simple can you explain would have sufficed for me to elaborate.

I am not offended, if you read my posts you would see i was actually happy about it. I was willing to throw my money at them NOW if it was going to be a glowing effect. That's awesome...but again i wanted to know the difference between it and the hellslinger other then the glow.

Winter must have misunderstood me, i have no beef, i was generally curious. My vagueness and brevity im sure came off as just being short over text or being upset. I can assure you i am not. But where he got the idea i was arguing with him i have no idea. But when people claim they know my intent before they asked about it and over text none the less i find it hilarious.

Cadence doesn't carry over text unless explained in detail or you give text some emotion, these mistakes are real easy to make on forums....everyone always thinks everyone mad on forums. Its really funny to me...

If you dont understand what im saying thats one thing and understandable. id gladly have rephrased it if he asked me too or for more details. He just said "why are you arguing with me" when i was not, i was trying to get to the bottom of the difference if there was one at all.

I was generally curious winters just misunderstood me and then took it wrong or thought i was mad? again, no beef and i dont know where his animosity in the begging came from and yes i poked fun at him but that was unwarranted and since has been removed (thanks scout)

I wanted to know what the difference was, i have found my answer (kinda) but i wasn't here to argue. I was here to discuss and now i see hat was just too much to ask for.

thanks for the info

Edited by Revis Volek, 06 May 2016 - 11:32 AM.

#103 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:33 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 06 May 2016 - 10:43 AM, said:

Posted Image

Long but reasonable explanation. I hope Revis understands.

Wintersdark doesn't usually argue, but he will and point out or ask why. Wintersdark is probably one of the most respectful people here IMO, and he won't insult you unless in some way or form that you insult him or others.

I believe I was the first to mention the hellslinger as well I believe, could be wrong.

I understood for the most part, my questions was how is it different from the Hellslinger, other then the fact that it may glow its not.

So not a new mechnic or tech or anything which was my major questions. What we would see as far as changes...and the answer is none. Other then a new sprite to ride around in. That was my question from my first post. Thanks for info again guys.

#104 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:59 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 04 May 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

Lol, and yet nothing is said about the Hellslinger's quirk that has this. (at least I think so)

I think this is more of a guess, but it's pretty certain there will ALWAYS be at least ONE who complains.... it's a given Posted Image

As a mech pilot I'd be spraying black paint all over that **** to keep it from giving me away anymore than the laser beam already does...

#105 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:01 PM

Revis, man...you can sass me all you like. Unfortunately, evidence suggests that your question was not framed/presented as properly as you say it was, or it would have been understood and answered instead of leading several folks around in circles.

The difference between the Hellslinger and the Night Gyr is that the Hellslinger was given the EHT quirk because Piranha felt like giving it an EHT quirk for reasons nobody but Piranha knows. The Night Gyr, on the other hand, is a preorder 'Mech nobody knows a damn thing about except for its TT stats, which state that its heat sinks should perform in a way which the Hellslinger's EHT quirks would nicely mimic.

#106 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:52 PM

Revis.

This. I wasn't all "14 year old girl"; wasn't in any way upset, just had no idea what he was talking about.

#107 Nikki Kerensky

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:55 PM

Chatterchatterchatter a 'Mech that glows. OMGHELLYES.

#108 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:55 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 06 May 2016 - 11:18 AM, said:

Cadence doesn't carry over text unless explained in detail or you give text some emotion, these mistakes are real easy to make on forums....everyone always thinks everyone mad on forums. Its really funny to me...

If you dont understand what im saying thats one thing and understandable. id gladly have rephrased it if he asked me too or for more details. He just said "why are you arguing with me" when i was not, i was trying to get to the bottom of the difference if there was one at all.

I was generally curious winters just misunderstood me and then took it wrong or thought i was mad? again, no beef and i dont know where his animosity in the begging came from and yes i poked fun at him but that was unwarranted and since has been removed (thanks scout)

I didn't think you were mad, but you seemed to have some sort of strong feeling about something, though I had no idea what your argument was (argument as in point, not as in argument vs. discussion - sorry if I phrased that poorly in my prior post).

But yeah, there was no emotion on my part there at all, just genuine confusion. Sorry if I expressed it poorly.

Hugs?

#109 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:17 PM

View PostLugh, on 06 May 2016 - 11:59 AM, said:

As a mech pilot I'd be spraying black paint all over that **** to keep it from giving me away anymore than the laser beam already does...

Lol why not the color of the glowing HS?

Wouldn't that blend you in more? Black blends in pretty well though too.

View PostWintersdark, on 06 May 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

I didn't think you were mad, but you seemed to have some sort of strong feeling about something, though I had no idea what your argument was (argument as in point, not as in argument vs. discussion - sorry if I phrased that poorly in my prior post).

But yeah, there was no emotion on my part there at all, just genuine confusion. Sorry if I expressed it poorly.

Hugs?

More like mech bro fist

Posted Image

#110 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:15 PM

I'd like to see it with one caveat. Have the glow effect pronounced, but give them a higher cooling effect to make up for it. Trades off the visibility for added functionality and at the same time allows people to make the choice to use either/or as they prefer.

#111 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:28 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 04 May 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:

The FAQ says the Night Gyr might get quirks to resemble the effects of Laser Heat Sinks (essentially that environmental heat transfer quirk that the Hellslinger has based on how laser heat sinks work, I presume). They EVEN said they are considering putting in a "glow" effect to the Night Gyr when it heats up, because laser heat sinks are supposed to glow.

I'm going to go with "hell yes", especially to the glow thing. Its not guaranteed but that sounds very cool. Do it PGI!

GLOW BABY GLOW

#112 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:40 PM

View PostRandom Carnage, on 06 May 2016 - 04:15 PM, said:

I'd like to see it with one caveat. Have the glow effect pronounced, but give them a higher cooling effect to make up for it. Trades off the visibility for added functionality and at the same time allows people to make the choice to use either/or as they prefer.

It's already presumably coming alongside a quirk to ignore environmental modifiers to dissipation.

While that's a disadvantage in a couple cases, there are more hot maps than cold (and very hot spots in hot maps); being able to fight at 100% effectiveness even in the Caldera or freaking lava is a decidedly exploitable advantage. As well, having static, predictable heat management, while arguably less useful for the better players, is a very nice thing.

#113 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:23 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 06 May 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

Hugs?

Mech hugs?

Dont they do that with AC20's? :P

NO hard feelings on my end friend.

#114 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:44 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 06 May 2016 - 01:17 PM, said:

More like mech bro fist

Posted Image

They can both live!

#115 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:50 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 06 May 2016 - 01:17 PM, said:

Lol why not the color of the glowing HS?

Wouldn't that blend you in more? Black blends in pretty well though too.

More like mech bro fist

Posted Image

If PGI ever implements melee combat... we need the bro fist.

#116 Puresin

• PipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:21 PM

Why not get the laser heatsinks? The inner sphere is getting new tech, why do they continue to nerf the clan but favour the inner sphere? the Cyclops has a new computer tech that will help their teammates. The hellslinger has environmental heat bonus. And the clans have.........?

I say it's time for PGI to give their innersphere erections a rest.

Edited by Puresin, 08 May 2016 - 06:23 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users