Third Person Soft Targeting: Did You Know?

54 replies to this topic

#41 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,015 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:07 PM

Not bad over 400 dmg with a single PPC

You can put 4 PPCs on a Cat you should try that

#42 pwnface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:20 PM

Winterdark: 1
Sader325: 0

end thread;

#43 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:41 PM

Sader325: 1

I think people are simply failing to understand what Sader is saying; he doesn't care if it's not technically aim assist; the fact the reticle pops when it's over the nearest object (even if it isn't locking or sticking onto it) is a visual aid in helping to recognize when the reticle is over the target. The little visual "pop" acts as a visual cue that your weapons are currently trained on an object. Most of the time, that object is your target.

This can aid in poor visibility conditions when the enemy mech is not clearly visible, allowing you to faster ascertain if your reticle is over the target.

Basically, yes...it's NOT mechanical aim assist...but the visual quirk gives the player some helpful feedback (albeit minor) when training your weapons on the target.

Edited by Death Proof, 16 May 2016 - 05:44 PM.

#44 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,792 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:59 PM

View PostDeath Proof, on 16 May 2016 - 05:41 PM, said:

I think people are simply failing to understand what Sader is saying; he doesn't care if it's not technically aim assist; the fact the reticle pops when it's over the nearest object (even if it isn't locking or sticking onto it) is a visual aid in helping to recognize when the reticle is over the target.

Yeah, that's the case if you ignore how Wintersdark pointed out it can also work against you, so I'm pretty sure pwn's original score is right.

#45 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:12 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 16 May 2016 - 05:59 PM, said:

Yeah, that's the case if you ignore how Wintersdark pointed out it can also work against you, so I'm pretty sure pwn's original score is right.

Whatever, man.

That wasn't the argument; it was simply whether or not the visual cue can be helpful under the right circumstances. Is it "OMG haxorz!" level benefit? Not in the least...and yes under some circumstances it can work against you. None of that matters. The only thing matters is that it can indeed be helpful under the right circumstances. That's is all.

For me personally, the benefit isn't worth being in 3PV because it doesn't fit my playstyle...but that doesn't mean that it's not a helpful visual cue under the right circumstances, with the right player.

Wintersdark: 1

#46 Intrepid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 265 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:38 PM

View PostCoolant, on 16 May 2016 - 01:28 PM, said:

I watched the said start point in the video and I still don't know what soft targeting means?

That is ok since neither does the OP. Sadder is badder Posted Image

Edited by Intrepid, 16 May 2016 - 11:17 PM.

#47 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:17 PM

View PostDeath Proof, on 16 May 2016 - 06:12 PM, said:

Whatever, man.

That wasn't the argument; it was simply whether or not the visual cue can be helpful under the right circumstances. Is it "OMG haxorz!" level benefit? Not in the least...and yes under some circumstances it can work against you. None of that matters. The only thing matters is that it can indeed be helpful under the right circumstances. That's is all.

For me personally, the benefit isn't worth being in 3PV because it doesn't fit my playstyle...but that doesn't mean that it's not a helpful visual cue under the right circumstances, with the right player.

Wintersdark: 1

The reticule doesn't target anything in 3pv, it also doesn't stick or attract to mechs in any way shape or form. The reticule simply renders differently when on a closer target compared to a farther target due to perspective.

#48 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,792 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:44 PM

View PostDeath Proof, on 16 May 2016 - 06:12 PM, said:

So basically, in certain circumstances, with the right mech and pilot, it can be helpful? Alright, you got me, it be an aim assist 25-50% of the time, the rest of the time in is aim inhibitor.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 16 May 2016 - 07:47 PM.

#49 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:53 PM

View Postpwnface, on 16 May 2016 - 07:17 PM, said:

The reticule doesn't target anything in 3pv, it also doesn't stick or attract to mechs in any way shape or form. The reticule simply renders differently when on a closer target compared to a farther target due to perspective.

There's a confusion of terms here; when people say "it snaps" to the target, they usually mean there is a visible cue when the reticle renders on an object closest to the player...typically, this is the enemy mech you are trying to target. It has been established to ad nauseum that this is not "targeting" the enemy mech or "sticking" to it or "locking" onto it, but rather rendering to the closest object. Nobody (well, I'm not anyway) is arguing that.

What is being argued is that this visual cue can, under certain circumstances, be helpful for some people in getting a faster visual cue on whether or not their reticle crosses over onto the enemy. This can be useful under certain circumstances; for example, when visibility is poor and it's difficult to see the silhouette of the enemy mech.

Is it "aiming assist" or "soft lock"? NO

...but it can be useful in the right circumstances. If some people find it useful, then there's not much you can do to change that fact.

Posted Image

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 16 May 2016 - 07:44 PM, said:

So basically, in certain circumstances, with the right mech and pilot, it can be helpful? Alright, you got me, it be an aim assist 25-50% of the time, the rest of the time in is aim inhibitor.

Exactly.

#50 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:04 PM

It's not an aim assist, it's not soft targeting. There was s no feature that attracts the crosshair to a Mech or aids in the retainment of a lock.

What you are seeing is the convergence range change as the pilot slews his crosshair over a target that is at a different range than he was previously aiming at!

Ya know what, here:

View PostProsperity Park, on 16 May 2016 - 01:14 PM, said:

It moved because the convergence range changed when the enemy walked into your Crosshair .You do not control the cross hairs in 3PV, you can only control the pilot and the pilot is responsible for moving your targeting Crosshair around. There are times when it looks like the Crosshair is jumping from point to point but from your pilot's perspective it is going very smoothly.

This does not include the walking Bobble that was unrelated to this Crosshair jumping.

Remember you cannot place your crosshairs on the Target that your pilot does not have direct line of sight on. Also that the location of the Crosshair in third person mode is a representation of where the pilot sees the shot will be impacting. You can often watch the Crosshair jump from one location to the other location when you were in 3rd person mode only because the pilot was slowly scrolling the Crosshair around and changed its convergence distance based on the Pilot's perspective.

In 1 PV your crosshair does not "move" when you drag it off the edge of a wall, but it will jump in 3PV because the convergence range changes.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 16 May 2016 - 08:06 PM.

#51 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:17 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 16 May 2016 - 08:04 PM, said:

It's not an aim assist, it's not soft targeting. There was s no feature that attracts the crosshair to a Mech or aids in the retainment of a lock.

What you are seeing is the convergence range change as the pilot slews his crosshair over a target that is at a different range than he was previously aiming at!

Exactly.

And that little "snap" as the reticle transitions from an object further in the distance to an object closer to the player acts as a visual cue to let the player know his reticle just crossed over onto a closer object..which most of the time, is the enemy mech they're trying to shoot. This little visual cue, can...under certain circumstances...be helpful.

Can we put this one to bed and break out the booze and strippers now?

Posted Image

#52 SpaceViking

Rookie

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 08:35 PM

While not being specifically "Aim Assist", 3pv can in some situations, assist your aim (by giving you a clearer picture of where your shots will go)

/end thread?

#53 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:03 PM

Aim assist. Meh. You guys are forgetting the single best feature about 3pv. The red blinky beacon. That alone is reason enough to not use the mode.

#54 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:11 PM

If I do a drawing or buy a nice full suspension bike. I can get equipment that makes my task easier and hopefully leads to better results.

When I was in college in the late 80s there were people who thought computers would write your papers for you. This was using the equivalent of modern day "word". I still had to do all the writing, but damn it was still a ton easier than using white out and spending 3x longer typing from a handwritten rough.

having "stuff" that makes the task easier is still different than having "stuff" that does the task for me.

#55 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:18 PM

I jump into the thread only to say that....

3PV should never have been implemented and should be removed.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users