Does Mwo Have A Anticheat System?

34 replies to this topic

#1 Rocket2Uranus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 359 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:50 PM

So today... I ran into a player... their name sounded very familiar, so I'm thinking there were shady things that happened in the past. If I recall only times I remember player names are if they are good in the shadiest way possible. Like aligning their lasers straight to people's cockpits. Or being able to aim off the game model and lands hits. Anyways, today I ran into him driving a light mech on Polar Highlands. I was in my Spider and went 1000m away from my team AROUND the damn map with my ECM on never exposing myself at all. What do I see when I come around the corner is this guy, RUNNING straight at me.

The biggest map in game. He comes straight at me. Says it was a coincidence.

I've seen videos of aimbots and wallhacks posted on forums. So I'm 100% pretty sure there are hacks.

Is there an actual anti-cheat system for the game? Or are bans only done via player reports?

I've seen some pretty shady stuff in game. And this one is one of them. Along with few players who pre-fire even before I come out of cover 1000m away.

I wonder if there is anti-cheat and if the tournament will be monitored for cheaters.

Edited by Rocket2Uranus, 06 May 2016 - 04:51 PM.

#2 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:02 PM

Dunno... only 65 were ever banned for it

#3 Afuldan McKronik

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:07 PM

Hope you record every game, before the "proof or GTFO" crowd rolls in here...

Yes. Paid hacks. Not certain what measures are taken, as games that have these services usually install them at the same time the game is, or is bundled into the game service (Steam VAC).

So remember, once this thread gets overrun by lots of people telling you that there isn't, that you need to record everything, there is cheats.

#4 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:19 PM

View PostRocket2Uranus, on 06 May 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

So today... I ran into a player... their name sounded very familiar, so I'm thinking there were shady things that happened in the past. If I recall only times I remember player names are if they are good in the shadiest way possible. Like aligning their lasers straight to people's cockpits. Or being able to aim off the game model and lands hits. Anyways, today I ran into him driving a light mech on Polar Highlands. I was in my Spider and went 1000m away from my team AROUND the damn map with my ECM on never exposing myself at all. What do I see when I come around the corner is this guy, RUNNING straight at me.

The biggest map in game. He comes straight at me. Says it was a coincidence.
Not impossible. You know where people start, and you know where people are likely to go. Odds to run directly at someone aren't that long.

I've seen videos of aimbots and wallhacks posted on forums. So I'm 100% pretty sure there are hacks.

Is there an actual anti-cheat system for the game? Or are bans only done via player reports?
There is.

I've seen some pretty shady stuff in game. And this one is one of them. Along with few players who pre-fire even before I come out of cover 1000m away.

I'm frequently firing at people before they're fully out of cover 1000m away. Sometimes, I'll toss a shot where I know they're covering to hold them in place, or if I see them just starting to move out (1000m away, with zoom, you're pretty big on my 40" display) I'll start firing before they can even see me.

I wonder if there is anti-cheat and if the tournament will be monitored for cheaters.

Yes there is, and of course it will be. Don't be daft.

Look, there ARE cheats, but everything you've said here doesn't even suggest people using them. Take this:

Or being able to aim off the game model and lands hits.
This is clearly illustrating that you have no idea what you're talking about, and need to learn how the game works before you make accusations of cheating.

When you are spectating, what you see and what the player sees are not the same thing. The game is NOT streaming you the video that pilot sees, it's transmitting the data from the server.

So what you see has several differences - most notably, you don't see anything that requires input from the spectated player's client.

Thus:

1) You see his gunfire without HSR. If you don't know what HSR is, then you need to go learn how that works (or ask, and I'll explain it) before even considering something like this is a cheat. But the short version is, it's normal to see people firing in front of/behind enemy mechs and hitting them, despite that shot clearly being a miss. On that player's screen, those shots are lined up properly. Spectate a bunch of lights fighting at high speed, particularly if the player you're spectating is at high ping, and this effect is extremely visible.
2) Another effect of the above is that you'll see mechs you're spectating move irratically, jerky, teleporty.
3) You don't see his weapon groups
4) You don't see his inputs - so you're not going to see Gauss charging, etc.
5) This is a server authoratative game. This means that while there certainly are hacks possible, one thing that cannot happen is impossible shots to be made (that is, literally impossible shots, not "that shot was so hard it's impossible"). You can't shoot someone through a building, or spoof your mech's location.

Aimbots are possible, but can only make actually possible shots. It's very tough to see if a shot is aimbotted or not, though. Cockpit shots are neither impossible nor even unlikely with skilled players, not to mention the times when it's just lucky.

Wallhacks definitely happen.

Edited by Wintersdark, 06 May 2016 - 05:19 PM.

#5 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:24 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 06 May 2016 - 05:19 PM, said:

Not impossible. You know where people start, and you know where people are likely to go. Odds to run directly at someone aren't that long.

There is.

I'm frequently firing at people before they're fully out of cover 1000m away. Sometimes, I'll toss a shot where I know they're covering to hold them in place, or if I see them just starting to move out (1000m away, with zoom, you're pretty big on my 40" display) I'll start firing before they can even see me.

Yes there is, and of course it will be. Don't be daft.

Look, there ARE cheats, but everything you've said here doesn't even suggest people using them. Take this:

This is clearly illustrating that you have no idea what you're talking about, and need to learn how the game works before you make accusations of cheating.

When you are spectating, what you see and what the player sees are not the same thing. The game is NOT streaming you the video that pilot sees, it's transmitting the data from the server.

So what you see has several differences - most notably, you don't see anything that requires input from the spectated player's client.

Thus:

1) You see his gunfire without HSR. If you don't know what HSR is, then you need to go learn how that works (or ask, and I'll explain it) before even considering something like this is a cheat. But the short version is, it's normal to see people firing in front of/behind enemy mechs and hitting them, despite that shot clearly being a miss. On that player's screen, those shots are lined up properly. Spectate a bunch of lights fighting at high speed, particularly if the player you're spectating is at high ping, and this effect is extremely visible.
2) Another effect of the above is that you'll see mechs you're spectating move irratically, jerky, teleporty.
3) You don't see his weapon groups
4) You don't see his inputs - so you're not going to see Gauss charging, etc.
5) This is a server authoratative game. This means that while there certainly are hacks possible, one thing that cannot happen is impossible shots to be made (that is, literally impossible shots, not "that shot was so hard it's impossible"). You can't shoot someone through a building, or spoof your mech's location.

Aimbots are possible, but can only make actually possible shots. It's very tough to see if a shot is aimbotted or not, though. Cockpit shots are neither impossible nor even unlikely with skilled players, not to mention the times when it's just lucky.

Wallhacks definitely happen.

HBK vs EBJ pops into my head when I read that last bit. Then my ears begin to bleed just from the memory of that video. If you know it, then you know what I am talking about. If you don't, shame on you.

#6 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:48 PM

View PostAfuldan McKronik, on 06 May 2016 - 05:24 PM, said:

HBK vs EBJ pops into my head when I read that last bit. Then my ears begin to bleed just from the memory of that video. If you know it, then you know what I am talking about. If you don't, shame on you.

There's a reason "definitely" was italicized.

#7 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:55 PM

If you put a vowel after A, you need to turn A into An.

Posted Image

#8 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:59 PM

Posted Image

#9 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:05 PM

Aaand theres the Git Gud crowd. It happens so often I wonder if you are trying to pass it off as a conspiracy. Seriously.

#10 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:14 PM

View PostRocket2Uranus, on 06 May 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

hack do exist, best thing you can do is record and report. that said...

A death cam like the old CoD4 had that shows the last few second leading to your death from your killer point of view clears alot of moment where you think something shady is happening.

For example someone could be aiming at someone else, shooting him and then you come into the picture and he switch, you get the hit and you die, these things happens. You could have been spotted by someone or under uav or the top of your mech is showing or it's one of those map you run in heat vision and your heat bleed through cover and stuff. Sometimes, that dude who puled an insane stunt shooting at you and killed you ISNT the one that killed you at all, it just look that way.

It could be a hack too but who knows. Record and report thats, the best thing you can do.

Winterdark has another good point, what i see(spectate) on my friends screen and what he sees on mine can sometimes be drastically different.

Edited by DAYLEET, 06 May 2016 - 09:16 PM.

#11 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:23 PM

View PostAfuldan McKronik, on 06 May 2016 - 09:05 PM, said:

Aaand theres the Git Gud crowd. It happens so often I wonder if you are trying to pass it off as a conspiracy. Seriously.

When the substance of accused cheating is all too easily explained with viable explanations then you get the Git Gud response.

#12 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:40 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 06 May 2016 - 09:23 PM, said:

When the substance of accused cheating is all too easily explained with viable explanations then you get the Git Gud response.

Have you not heard of our good friend and savior Google? Its there. Sorry.

#13 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:51 PM

View PostAfuldan McKronik, on 06 May 2016 - 10:40 PM, said:

Have you not heard of our good friend and savior Google? Its there. Sorry.

Nobody thinks there is no cheating. You're bordering on strawman there.

The point is, it's much more likely that it's normal behavior than cheating in cases like the OP mentioned.

Cheats - aimbots and wallhacks in particular - can and do happen. Rarely, but they do.

But all too often, people jump to "HAX!" as the reason for everything, and it's ridiculous. Particularly when the event in question is either normal behavior (spectated player getting hits when it looks like he clearly missed, for example) or really not an unusual thing to happen in normal play.

So, yeah. Cheating is a serious thing, and something people shouldn't accuse each other of willy nilly. As such, if you want to be taken seriously, it behooves you to provide some sort of evidence of cheating, not just a story of normal behavior. Otherwise, you look very, very much like That Guy who got rekt and wants anything to blame it on other than that he just got rekt.

#14 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:21 PM

Posted Image

#15 Seal Farmer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:43 PM

View PostAmsro, on 06 May 2016 - 11:21 PM, said:

Posted Image

Thats cheating, cats shouldnt be able to do that

#16 Rocket2Uranus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 359 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:52 PM

lol Git Gud crowd.

These are usually the kinda kids who usually scores 0-100 dmg per game.

They get a killing blow and they type "GET REKT" for 2 days straight.

And the grammar {Godwin's Law}. The weekend. The 12 year olds are out n about claiming their internet forum dominance memes and gifs. I'm super impressed.

Edited by Rocket2Uranus, 07 May 2016 - 12:05 AM.

#17 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 01:04 AM

There is no anti cheat in MWO.
Absolutely no anti cheat...
yup...

#18 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:15 AM

View PostRocket2Uranus, on 06 May 2016 - 11:52 PM, said:

lol Git Gud crowd.

These are usually the kinda kids who usually scores 0-100 dmg per game.

They get a killing blow and they type "GET REKT" for 2 days straight.

And the grammar {Godwin's Law}. The weekend. The 12 year olds are out n about claiming their internet forum dominance memes and gifs. I'm super impressed.

IT'S NOT ABOUT HACKING.

IT'S NOT ABOUT BEING GOOD.

IT'S ABOUT:

Posted Image

Play in a unit filled with good players and the whole "that guy must be cheating" thing goes away pretty quick. Or keep dropping by yourself and live in your pit of misery. Its no armor off our rear torsos.

Also coincidences happen a lot more often than conspiracies.

Edited by dervishx5, 07 May 2016 - 03:19 AM.

#19 The dog with a laptop

• PipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:52 AM

View Postdervishx5, on 06 May 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

If you put a vowel after A, you need to turn A into An.

Posted Image

Rubbish . . .
There are over 1500 variants of English used world wide including sub divisions and colloquial versions diverse as Pidgeon English and Scotts. Modern English is a widely used and ever changing language, used by many countries and cultures. ITA for instance has no rules on spelling only on grammar. So go knock your self out, constrain your self with rules and boundaries . . . . the rest of us will just use it to communicate with one another.

#20 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:08 AM

View PostThe dog with a laptop, on 07 May 2016 - 03:52 AM, said:

Rubbish . . .
There are over 1500 variants of English used world wide including sub divisions and colloquial versions diverse as Pidgeon English and Scotts. Modern English is a widely used and ever changing language, used by many countries and cultures. ITA for instance has no rules on spelling only on grammar. So go knock your self out, constrain your self with rules and boundaries . . . . the rest of us will just use it to communicate with one another.

sNIsgg aung! masd > as0fu? osdfnmmx x 384

The USA invented the internet and has the biggest and best guns. Since we can kill the rest of you no prob, then you speak our English.

:3

Edited by dervishx5, 07 May 2016 - 04:10 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users