Better Social Tools

7 replies to this topic

#1 Ice6

• PipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:42 AM

I am a longtime player of battletech/mechwarrior since the 90s. The one social feature I thought was the best for this kind of game was in Battletech: Solaris from the gamestorm days. It was like a small map that you could click through to go to different "bars" and areas and go into another units territory and socialize/hold meetings/setup matches, etc. There is almost zero crosstalk in this game because of a lack of chat rooms/lobbies and the ability to see who is actually in them.

The current unit and faction chat just don't really cut it. Without teamspeak there wouldn't be any teams or any coordination at all. This is how I see who the hell is online in my faction, and a large amount of players are not even on the house teamspeak server...making coordination incredibly difficult. This is why there are so many PUG matches in CW. At a bare minimum have a feature where we can see who is actually in the faction chat, as well as what unit and what their faction rank is. I would go a step further and add current allied factions to that chat.

Lets be honest here, there aren't too many units that can put a complete 12 man group for CW. Sure there are some, but most groups are mixed units of the same faction. A chat room would improve coordination immensely.

Bottom line: We need better social features.

Just thought of a faction roster of who is online...this goes beyond unit rosters. Displaying Name, Faction Rank, Unit. This would be helpful as well.

#2 Ice6

• PipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:49 AM

As in its current state you might as well include teamspeak in the download package.

#3 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:27 AM

@Ice
isn't voip enough for you?
I don't want crap I will never use and teamspeak is one of them, it would just use extra space on my PC that I could use for something else.

now if it was an optional download where you have to physically click it then sure go for it.

only thing I use from Voip is the auto so I can hear people who have things that make sense or has anything to do with the game at hand, I don't use the built in mic on my headset.

After all if I want to talk to people while playing any game I will play Battletech with my group(which we play BattleTech every other weekend).

in this game I only need in game mode voip.

Edited by VinJade, 08 May 2016 - 09:28 AM.

#4 Ice6

• PipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:08 AM

It was more like a comment for teamspeak that you need it to get any sort of organization in this game to setup groups. I think you missed the main point that the social functions in this game are piss poor.

#5 Jiyu Mononoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 05:37 PM

I hope PGI will listen, we've brought up chat a lot. Needs improvement plz.
- I 100% support any efforts to improve and integrate the chat system throughout the game.
- Thank you for keeping the subject in light, it needs attention and would vastly improve the game.
- I personally would like to see room based chat, imagine having a club house room for units, clans and mercs. we could banter and ally among each other better.

Started by Freebrth, Dec 24 2015: http://mwomercs.com/...19#entry4904719

Started by Freebrth, Aug 02 2014: http://mwomercs.com/...h-the-team-etc/

by xX_Nero_Xx, Oct 30 2012 : http://mwomercs.com/...age__mode__show

Started by Andi Nagasia, Sep 05 2014: http://mwomercs.com/...stem-expansion/

Started by Dedzone, Dec 15 2014: http://mwomercs.com/...-chat-channels/

Started by Anu Kajal, Dec 07 2013: http://mwomercs.com/...atar-chat-room/

Edited by Freebrth, 08 May 2016 - 05:38 PM.

#6 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:16 AM

you people already waste space on my hard drive with voip lets not waste anymore space for something I don't use.
besides you can get team speak for free iirc so just go download it yourself and stop pushing garbage on the rest of us.

#7 Jiyu Mononoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:45 AM

Sorry Jade, but much of the game is built around social activity, group tactics, unit strategies, and coordination. The very nature of MMO (and similar) games invites the formation of units, guilds, clans, or even simple friendships that require communication and the exchange of information to operate smoothly. By default the game should have a complete communication/chat suite that facilitates community/faction warfare, day to day unit. Group operations, or simply the ability to play with friends on Sunday.

~ Maybe have an opt out for the few people like VinJade that simply play the game as a sudo-single player game. But by defalt, we need a good communication program.

~ In a former write-up, Jade, I actually suggested the chat/comms be a "separate but integrated system" that could be used, turned on or off separate from the primary client. That way people could open just the chat to say Hi and hang out with the unit/online buddies or could just play the game without it, or even delete/opt out of the chat if they choose to. It could launch the game as needed, or be deleted without harm. it would need to be well integrated (Kinda like how over-wolf operates, but chat style).

LoL @ "You People" ... But then, I guess that's why you don't have a need for this function... Many of us however enjoy playing with (and having) friends in our units and would happily sacrifice a bit of hard drive space for better comms/chat and community functions.

Edited by Freebrth, 09 May 2016 - 08:53 AM.

#8 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:57 AM

@FB
To be fair I didn't join this game to make friends, I joined because it is the only free MW game we have at the moment and even with all of its short comings and the fact I didn't join to socialize doesn't mean I won't use voip as it does everything that is needed for team play.

the problem is getting people to work together using voip.
don't need to be friends to work together, besides as often as we swap sides in this game there is no point being anything other than teammates whenever we are part of the same team.

and like I said before make it optional and not a forced download where it has to be ether chosen at the time of instillation or at a later date.

still there are free programs for team speak, a friend of mine uses it whenever she plays pnp D&D electronically(or something like that), so if it works for her why can't it work for you guys?

I think its a fair question.`

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users