56 replies to this topic

#41 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:41 AM

I've received a request for building and using a kit fox with high damage output (likely mid to close range) and I wanted to find out what builds are effective after the addition of new tech. I've got a build, still untested, with 1 HLL, 2 erML, and 2 LMGs. Any thoughts on that build or maybe something effective and punchy in that range?

#42 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:49 AM

If you have the Purifier pods, HLL works great. I run 1xHLL+3xERML on my Purifier, and it is a devastating ridge peeker... but I would not want to run the same build on a variant without those shoulder mounts. 1.5 seconds is a lot of exposure time, and the KFX has a huge target profile; by the end of your HLL burn, you'll probably take more damage than you send out.

Instead, for an arm-based KFX, I would do this. You still get LMGs, and more of them, but shorter burns on the boring old-tech lasers mean you won't have to commit suicide to get some hits in.

#43 Stf Sgt Marblez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the battlefield, trying to make a difference.

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:17 AM

Ive found a bit of success with the triple ams fox with two heavy meds and 3 light machine guns as back up, find somebody without ecm or ams, maybe both, stick with them and just shoot whats a threat, and simply rake in the c-bills. Fairly simple laid back way of playing the game and all the while being useful on the battlefield.

o7

#44 Brethren

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:38 AM

KFX-C
3 ER-Medium, LB-5X, ECM, Set-of-8-Quirks

Works really well for medium range support. Just stick to your fire line mechs and amplify their damage.
Most of the time you will be ignored in favor of another target and the LB-5X is very good at critting components, even when running hot.

Drop a heat sink for an extra ton of ammo, if you think you'll need it.

Edited by Brethren, 04 September 2017 - 05:38 AM.

#45 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:46 AM

Well, with the new tech around, I had a lot of fun messing with the 6 HML build. KFX-C ST makes it somewhat more tolerable, but the main kicker is that you can stuff it full of DHS and come out with a LOT of sustained DPS.

#46 Trissila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 439 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:28 PM

I'm having a lot of fun with a support-oriented Kit Fox C that takes advantage of Heavy Large Lasers to provide surprising large punch -- 36 hitscan alpha out to 450 meters is nothing to sneeze at from a light that is also bringing AMS, ECM, and NARC.

KFX-C

You could also drop a ton of NARC ammo to put up that third LAMS if you feel that you're not really using more than 12 NARCs per round, but I'd rather have some buffer for whiffs given that LAMS is largely heat-bound anyway.

Alternatively, if you want to be more aggressive with the HLLs, you can drop the LAMS for regular AMS, but here you really have to drop a ton of NARC so that you can get in two tons of AMS ammo. The third AMS unit is not worth losing half a ton of ammo; better to shoot down WAY more missiles than to shoot down more at a time.

KFX-C

I then give it a skill tree like this, to take maximum advantage of its various team-supporting gear, buff up the consumables to supplement the offense, and help keep some of the heat in check.

You need to be proactive in toggling your LAMS to manage the heat it generates, and make decisions around whether to shoot down some missiles or get in some damage with your lasers, you can't really do both. But this build gives you options to hang back and support the team with a lot of electronic warfare options, or be more aggressive and get in some really mean flanking stabs with those HLLs. Open a guy up with those things and then NARC him so that your team's launchers can finish him off.

Edited by Trissila, 01 October 2017 - 11:19 PM.

#47 DemonicDonut

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:51 PM

Purifier with 6 med pulse, ecm and some extra HS. Runs hot, but you can stagger your shots. Alpha and run to a new spot. I've been doing very well with it. Unless I do something dumb, I generally get ~400 damage and usually a kill or three. Best game was ~950 dmg and 9 kills.

#48 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:11 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

PPC to kill stealth and pop tart. HMLaser for head and kill shots, UAVs, fast movers. Missiles for over the horizon and dumping on pop tarts with 4xjj. ECM, cons-2xair strike, 1xUAV.

Pretty consistent damage output but a little weak at small laser range unless you are good with jump spin firing retreats and hitting moving targets with a PPC while flying through the air Like a Boss.

On a side note, why do some people strip their cockpit armor to zero?!?!? Not complaining... keep doing it, please.

#49 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:21 AM

Posted Image

forgot to post (s)kill tree

#50 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 03:21 PM

So I just read another thread, where Fox With A Shotgun mentions some builds. https://mwomercs.com...ly/page__st__60

Apparently he's infamous. :-P Respect.

After more testing, that the extra 1/2 ton of LRM ammo was just never needed, and I swapped things up to get one more jump jet -so I can make it to the sniper/spotting roof at C2 in solaris... heh heh heh. I know, the ppc is "better" in the arm for hitting high/low targets, but that left arm puts it about at the KNEE joint, and I have a few spots I REALLY like to be able belly down, and snip from, and you don't have to show your whole mech to be able to hit your target. That left arm energy mount is TERRIBLE, the high mount makes you almost unhittable if you pick the right spot to hunker down (and less visible which is very important) It's a fun build, offering the feeling of gun, missile and laser in one mech, it has great tactical flexibility, it CAN overheat, but even playing balls to the wall it's rare. The other reason I like the PPC in the torso is for long range pop-tarting, it helps stablize my aim. I'll admit to wishing the PPC was in the arm at times, but I've also made a lot of shots that would have hit dirt if it was in the arm (or left me fully exposed just to trade damage, and trading in a kit fox is losing)

Posted Image

But my new favorite is this bad boy I call the Jedi, It's got 5 JJ and ecm, makes full use of the armor bonus on the arms for a very TANKY light. Plenty of heat sinks to balance the load out. And the dual HML is nothing to sneer at. As FWAS mentioned, the dual energy in the arm hit in the same spot, making it great for kill shots, after softening them up at range with the PPC. I've tried the 2xppc +ecm, which is a bit hot unless you strip armor, and the 4xhml (while good) suffers from a lack of flexibility, they are each lacking, this hybrid build allows better heat management than the dual PPC, and better range than the quad HML, making it a flexible damage dealer, and a good deterrent for lights.

Posted Image

Here is the 4xHML build for reference. It does heavy damage, heats up fast, but also cools fast. Only down side is holding that beam on target for the full duration, but if you can it really brings the pain.

Posted Image

Edited by John McClintock, 05 April 2019 - 03:26 PM.

#51 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 04:12 PM

First game of the day in the "Jedi" 2xHML, 1xPPC, ECM, 5JJ

This thing really brings the pain.

Posted Image

#52 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 04:53 PM

I know some of "you people" like to get in close and chew stuff up.

SPL are some of the highest DPS weapons in the game and relatively low heat, this build offers plenty of heat sinks when only firing the 4xSPL, with plenty of room for the...

2xHML in the right arm to take out UAV's and to offer some moderately high mounted mid range stand off weapons, also good for sweeping the leg. Did you hear that Piranha?

Good for scouting AND babysitting Dire Whales.

Posted Image

#53 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 05:10 PM

First game in the 4xspl, 2xhml build, it puts out the damage, for sure. Chain fire on the 4xSPL let you have a constant stream of laser fire, without raise the heat level and the 2xHML can be used at will. If anything there may be too many heat sinks, but it's hard to tell from one game on a snow map.

Posted Image

#54 John McClintock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 305 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:47 AM

First run, just to test it. I've always frowned at the streak2 until actually checking the dps/ton, and playing with 3 of them on the COM-2D

I kept the missiles on group fire, not bad for a support mech loadout

Posted Image

Posted Image

#55 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:05 AM

ahhhh, klitfox … still tickles yer fancies :)

#56 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,590 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:27 AM

My Wave1 Kit fox prime makes fun. Usualy dont piloting Lights, mostly Heavys and mediums but i like the lil fox and buyed the Kit fox Clan Wave package as the Clans was introduced and the pre order showed up for nostalgia collecting reasons.
Just running 3sm pulse and 2xSRM6 nothing more. Had several 3-5 k runs with 700+mg.Yea, works fine
Thhe 2nd pic below was the first take out of Hangar after a year in Hospital and my first light mech run since Closed beta^^ Really enjoyed it

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edit: Blacked out othe rplayers

Edited by Mighty Spike, 11 May 2019 - 10:44 AM.

#57 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:18 AM

KFX-D with 4xASRM-6 is perfectly viable:Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users