In My Honest Opinion: We Need More Information On Crates And Possible Reworking.

87 replies to this topic

#21 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:56 AM

The only way to improve crates, is to erase this stupid idea, taken from any rpg (OAHH!!! I've just found a treasure chest!!!) or dota/cso/teamfortess/whatever.

#22 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:56 AM

View PostAfuldan McKronik, on 10 May 2016 - 07:50 AM, said:

I am trying to stay neutral, and not have a fit, but this does feel like a foul ball. Yes yes "moar microtransactions moar moniez moar mechz". Still feels like a strange thing to monitize. Drop decks, good. This.... is kinda wierd.

I think there should always be a Premium option and a Non-premium option when it comes to things like this. While you can spend MC and get them easier, the Non Prem should be a longer way and take more time and effort.

#23 Alan Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:58 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 10 May 2016 - 07:03 AM, said:

Look, I like PGI for what it's done; I've bought their products, I've done giveaways for the community, and I've even became a Moderator because I find this place to be of a sorts, a home away from home.

But this? Crates? I'll have to say:

There's barely any substantial information on these things. Not only that, but PGI should have at least said something along the lines of WIP for the thing. Because now we have everyone hopping onto the hate bandwagon and giving PGI the middle finger for revealing something that's completely new and not what some expected.

Back to my point, PGI should at least provided some more background info on it, hell, even reworked the Mechanics of it.

Already I saw problems; Crate was to be spawned randomly on map. No bueno. When match is over crate is randomly given to a player, plus another if team won. Bueno.

Why is the second sentence good?

Well let's think about it; When someone sees something they want, and it's the only or last thing left, everybody fights over it. Could you imagine the anger, rage, and problems that would cause if people fought over it? Not only do you have to be careful of greedy teammates, but you also have a enemy team who might also be closing in on it.

But let's get down to it, needs some reworking. I looked around the threads here a bit and see some alright and good reworks, so here's my short fix:
  • Both teams should have a crate that they and they only can collect, per example Blue team gets a crate they can collect, and Red Team gets a crate they can collect.
  • Even if the crate is not found, but won by the team, they still get a bonus crate awarded to a random person on the team.
  • Sometimes when a crate is found, a fragment or a whole key can be found. 3 Fragments of a key would equal a whole key. (Chance per say could be 15%)
  • Combining a Key Costs 1 Million C-Bills.
That's my opinion of fixing the Crates. Again, don't hop on the hate bandwagon; you just show and alienate PGI from even listening or even deciding to care about your opinions. If anything, try to be respectful for once, it might actually get you places in the long run.

Derek, while I agree with your premise, I disagree wholeheartedly with everything else.

There's one, and I mean literally one reason why Crate/Lockboxes are literally the worst idea PGI could have implemented into this game.

Literally every other MMO type game out there that has these things, more often than not, say on the order of 75% of the time, people will be playing by themselves, so they can get all the boxes they want and do with them what they want.

These things have no place in FPS type games because it detracts from the game itself. MWO, CS:GO, etc are team based games played in arena style deathmatch... We all know every round in MWO basically devolves into "kill it with fire" over "play the f***ing objective".

So, now you're going to have one... Literally one flipping crate spawn randomly somewhere on the map? The possibilities not only for ganking and griefing, but for just straight up greed are ludicrous.

Say the enemy team finds the crate because it miraculously spawned near one of their drop zones... Enter a lone wolf light mech. The possibility for him to be insta-killed is enormous if the enemy team positions themselves right.

Now, lets say someone on the enemy team gets greedy, they see someone going for the crate, so they blast away and leg, and/or destroy their teammate going for the crate.

I'm not saying this will happen, only that it CAN happen, and eventually when it does start to happen, the rage will make the Phoenix Rising and other forum kerfluffles seem like a couple dogs just play wrestling.

I just... I literally for the life of me cannot fathom why anyone thought this was a good idea for an FPS PvP team-death-match type game, it just doesn't fit.

I literally uninstalled Star Trek Online when they introduced this kind of mechanic, and I'm seriously considering uninstalling MWO now for the same reason.

It just does not fit. Plain and simple.

#24 GonaDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationThe biggest party you have ever seen

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:59 AM

Reward them after the match is over(without having to find it, of course) and I am all for it. Extra C-bills is just what we need.Tho I am sure as hell not going to open them..Good thing you can just sell them.

Edited by GonaDie, 10 May 2016 - 09:50 AM.

#25 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

View PostAresye, on 10 May 2016 - 07:40 AM, said:

I'm not too fond of the "crate" system itself, but if PGI did something like CS:GO, where these crates contained unique textures and patterns of varying value, I could see it being pretty cool.

yea... it is very common to go in a battlefield and collect treasure chest with camo colors inside.... Posted Image

Pgi just threw away the mask with this move....
The funny thing is Russ said that he does not need any suggestion by playerbase to improve the game (meanwhile the ship is slowly sinking)

#26 Afuldan McKronik

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationCanada

View PostScout Derek, on 10 May 2016 - 07:56 AM, said:

I think there should always be a Premium option and a Non-premium option when it comes to things like this. While you can spend MC and get them easier, the Non Prem should be a longer way and take more time and effort.

Maybe have a MC cost that is small to open them, and a large CBill cost to open them also. Gives free players a way to open them, on the chance that they get something worth more than the cost to open them.

#27 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:03 AM

hey 1 million cbills a pop to sell them- helps support my pokemech SHS to DHS switching funds.

and for chuckles i'd like to see crates in the deepest pools of lava in terra therma where 8 mechs all surround it overheated unable to actually get it while they get picked apart by those who don't care about the crate.

#28 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:05 AM

View PostGonaDie, on 10 May 2016 - 07:59 AM, said:

Reward them after the match is over and I am all for it. Extra C-bills is just what we need.Tho I am sure as hell not going to open them..Good thing you can just sell them.

And how much do you think they will sell for.

Im being pretty optimistic when i think 20k...

#29 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:06 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 10 May 2016 - 07:58 AM, said:

Derek, while I agree with your premise, I disagree wholeheartedly with everything else.

There's one, and I mean literally one reason why Crate/Lockboxes are literally the worst idea PGI could have implemented into this game.

Literally every other MMO type game out there that has these things, more often than not, say on the order of 75% of the time, people will be playing by themselves, so they can get all the boxes they want and do with them what they want.

These things have no place in FPS type games because it detracts from the game itself. MWO, CS:GO, etc are team based games played in arena style deathmatch... We all know every round in MWO basically devolves into "kill it with fire" over "play the f***ing objective".

So, now you're going to have one... Literally one flipping crate spawn randomly somewhere on the map? The possibilities not only for ganking and griefing, but for just straight up greed are ludicrous.

Say the enemy team finds the crate because it miraculously spawned near one of their drop zones... Enter a lone wolf light mech. The possibility for him to be insta-killed is enormous if the enemy team positions themselves right.

Now, lets say someone on the enemy team gets greedy, they see someone going for the crate, so they blast away and leg, and/or destroy their teammate going for the crate.

I'm not saying this will happen, only that it CAN happen, and eventually when it does start to happen, the rage will make the Phoenix Rising and other forum kerfluffles seem like a couple dogs just play wrestling.

I just... I literally for the life of me cannot fathom why anyone thought this was a good idea for an FPS PvP team-death-match type game, it just doesn't fit.

I literally uninstalled Star Trek Online when they introduced this kind of mechanic, and I'm seriously considering uninstalling MWO now for the same reason.

It just does not fit. Plain and simple.

I understand, just as I said before and again, my opinion to fix it.

Honestly I don't even think this would be a good idea, but I'm just offering what I think of it, and how or what is needed.

By all means if everyone wants to rid of it, do so, but only after the fact that we know absolutely for sure, that this is a bad idea. Plus, it we aren't even close to this thing, what, 1-2 months away? Let's give them some time to recoup and possibly add more to the substance of the Crate drops.

View Postdavoodoo, on 10 May 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

More like 300 C-Bills, considering what could be in them.

#30 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:06 AM

View PostTanar, on 10 May 2016 - 08:03 AM, said:

For chuckles i'd like to see crates in the deepest pools of lava in terra therma where 8 mechs all surround it overheated unable to actually get it while they get picked apart by those who don't care about the crate.

That is why I hate that they are in the game instead of some random reward at the end.

#31 Lord0fHats

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 619 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:07 AM

All I have to say is someone didn't learn anything from Pay Day 2 and the backlash Overkill caught from the players when they did the exact same thing.

#32 GonaDie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:13 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 10 May 2016 - 08:05 AM, said:

Hey, that's extra money you get for free.Weren't people asking to increase match rewards? Well, here it is.

#33 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:14 AM

View PostGonaDie, on 10 May 2016 - 08:13 AM, said:

Hey, that's extra money you get for free.Weren't people asking to increase match rewards? Well, here it is.

Ill lose more due to lost match because someone rushed to get chest...

Also at this point i dont need cbills, i need slots.

Edited by davoodoo, 10 May 2016 - 08:16 AM.

#34 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:19 AM

I would much rather see MechCommander-style salvage containers on the maps that give everyone on the team a large pulse laser, or an LRM 5, or 10,000 C-bills, or 10 MC, or a seismic sensor...

#35 GonaDie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:19 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 10 May 2016 - 08:14 AM, said:

Ill lose more due to lost match because someone rushed to get chest...

Also at this point i dont need cbills, i need slots.

As I said, IF THE CREATE IS REWARDED AFTER THE MATCH.I do not support PGI's current plan.

Besides, there are lots of space poor who need every extra coin.

Edited by GonaDie, 10 May 2016 - 08:19 AM.

#36 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:27 AM

Idea for a crate concept:

1. Only the winning team can get a supply cache. The dead team is dead, and you can't take it with you.
2. Cache must be found by winning team. If the losing team finds the cache, it is destroyed.
3. Caches contain 12 items, each player on a winning side can buy 1 random item for MC (less than 15). No duplicate items, no RNG, so if that cache has something awesome in it and all 12 people buy it, someone is getting it.
3a. Yes, this means if you're in a 12 man on coms and the first guy gets the best thing in the cache, you'll know about it and nobody else will buy into it. Join a unit already.
3b. You can sell your unknown cache item for cbills for 1/2 market value without spending MC. So if luck says you would have pulled that XL400, you still get a decent reward.

I do like crates/events as a vector for new weapons/experimental tech, provided it is very limited and the weapons self-destruct over time. You pulled 1 IS ER medium laser? Sure, but it's good for 5 matches before it breaks and is gone forever. PTW? Possibly, need to be careful here. Lostech supply caches were a very real thing in the lore, so it can be done. Just need to be careful on how it rolls out so it seems like lore and not another FTP microtransaction.

#37 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:28 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 10 May 2016 - 07:59 AM, said:

yea... it is very common to go in a battlefield and collect treasure chest with camo colors inside.... Posted Image

Islander stuff

About as common as you taking your BattleMech out for a drive on a Saturday and finding another BattleMech to battle with. ;)

Haters gonna hate... :(

#38 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:30 AM

I agree with you, Scout. My first post in the big thread I started was:

View PostTercieI, on 09 May 2016 - 04:28 PM, said:

So it's free stuff, maybe, if you spend MC?

That's...huh?

...specifically to express my bafflement. I'm more confused than anything and feel this needs a lot more explanation (could start with a list of what sort of things they mean to include and cost of unlocking).

#39 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:35 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 10 May 2016 - 08:28 AM, said:

About as common as you taking your BattleMech out for a drive on a Saturday and finding another BattleMech to battle with. Posted Image

Haters gonna hate... Posted Image

I love to pilots robbotz and shoot at robbotz. I'm still here for that reason.

But yea, I'm in an island (about how mw should be). And it is a wonderful island, tho...

#40 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:47 AM

How about this:

Whatever resources are working on coding crates should go and start coding things that matter and which the customers actually asked for.

You don't need me to do a list of things most people actually want added to the game. But I have been on these forums for 3 years and 6000 posts, and I've never heard anyone clamoring for the introduction of crates.

If PGI added salvage to the game - that is, where actual undamaged components on the actual Mechs that you actually just fought in a match were allocated to the winning team - then that would a step forward towards the kind of simulator we were promised, instead of a step backwards to MechAssault 3.

Edited by Appogee, 10 May 2016 - 08:49 AM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users