In My Honest Opinion: We Need More Information On Crates And Possible Reworking.

87 replies to this topic

#41 DeadEye COTP

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:47 AM

Just another thing to add to the already overflowing list of reasons I will never support PGI. They've made everything a pay wall, and a massive one at that. It's hard to be excited about something like this when it's just begging you to give them more money. They have failed to fix or change a multitude of issues over the years, even glaring ones like allowing you to quick swap modules to a mech without going to another mech and having to pull them off. It's frustrating for me as I enjoy playing a different mech every game.

The shady workaround for it not being called gambling is far too prevalent in this day, and it's exactly what it is. In every other game that does this, for example you'll spend 3$ to open a crate; a vast majority of the time what you'll get is worth about 10 cents. This is gambling disguised as 'always receiving something' for your money.

It's bad enough to attain even the hero/champ mechs in the game is several thousand dollars, not including ridiculous costs for colors and patterns. What a joke this company is.

Edited by DeadEye COTP, 10 May 2016 - 08:49 AM.

#42 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:48 AM

- If a Lone Light Mech runs around looking for the crate and avoiding combat, can they be reported for Non Participation Abuse?

- Can you kill 11 enemies and leg the last one on a Skirmish/Assault match, then your remaining team spends time looking for the crate, or is that Griefing/ Non Participation?

- Can a disconnected player be rewarded a crate? Can an AFK player with no damage and no movement for the entire match be rewarded a crate?

- Can a Team Killer be rewarded a crate?

- Will there ever be Crate Rewards issued that have less MC value than the cost of a Lockpick?

-

#43 davoodoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:52 AM

View PostGonaDie, on 10 May 2016 - 08:19 AM, said:

As I said, IF THE CREATE IS REWARDED AFTER THE MATCH.I do not support PGI's current plan.

Besides, there are lots of space poor who need every extra coin.

And ppl pointlessly running around map for 1 in 12 chance of getting a 20k assuming your team somehow gets it everytime will help it how??

Doing extra assist per match will earn you more.

#44 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:54 AM

It kinda sounds like a take on my salvage mechanic mini-game I proposed a long while back...

End of match, everyone gets a salvage token, winners get two. In the front end, spend tokens for random grab bag goodies.

PGI -- You don't have to be vague and possibly implement it so differently. I offer my ideas free of charge. :D

#45 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:59 AM

View PostRobot Kenshiro, on 10 May 2016 - 07:06 AM, said:

×10000000000 on the more info..... hate it when sometbing totally new is implemented is gets 3 sentences of what it is and thats it.

Crates? What crates? What did I miss?

#46 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:01 AM

View PostMystere, on 10 May 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

Crates? What crates? What did I miss?

Prepare your **** for csgo chests in mwo.

#47 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:02 AM

View PostCD LoreHammer Lord, on 10 May 2016 - 08:54 AM, said:

It kinda sounds like a take on my salvage mechanic mini-game I proposed a long while back...

End of match, everyone gets a salvage token, winners get two. In the front end, spend tokens for random grab bag goodies.

PGI -- You don't have to be vague and possibly implement it so differently. I offer my ideas free of charge. Posted Image

Okay, now that's a system I could get behind and fully support.

#48 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:02 AM

View PostDeadEye COTP, on 10 May 2016 - 08:47 AM, said:

Just another thing to add to the already overflowing list of reasons I will never support PGI. They've made everything a pay wall, and a massive one at that. It's hard to be excited about something like this when it's just begging you to give them more money. They have failed to fix or change a multitude of issues over the years, even glaring ones like allowing you to quick swap modules to a mech without going to another mech and having to pull them off. It's frustrating for me as I enjoy playing a different mech every game.

The shady workaround for it not being called gambling is far too prevalent in this day, and it's exactly what it is. In every other game that does this, for example you'll spend 3$ to open a crate; a vast majority of the time what you'll get is worth about 10 cents. This is gambling disguised as 'always receiving something' for your money.

It's bad enough to attain even the hero/champ mechs in the game is several thousand dollars, not including ridiculous costs for colors and patterns. What a joke this company is.

you say PGI has a paywall, yet...

they make events which give out free MC, mechs, champions, and more?

no one in this thread has spouted this kind of hate talk, and this is a bad written and explanatory one at that.

$7000 dollars for a hero mech? c'mon, you completely obseleted your whole argument with that folly Hyperbole.

oh, and read much? I said to not jump on the hate bandwagon so quick, but it seems that you already have; others have good reasons, you just went off in a complete rant that just shows how little some even know what PGI does at times, and this is coming from someone who respects quite a bit of people who are pretty mad, pretty angry, with PGI, or others here.

#49 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:08 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 10 May 2016 - 09:02 AM, said:

Okay, now that's a system I could get behind and fully support.

http://mwomercs.com/...vage-mini-game/

Shockingly it's still alive in GenDis too! Someone tweat it to Russ. :D

#50 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:16 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 10 May 2016 - 08:48 AM, said:

- If a Lone Light Mech runs around looking for the crate and avoiding combat, can they be reported for Non Participation Abuse?

- Can you kill 11 enemies and leg the last one on a Skirmish/Assault match, then your remaining team spends time looking for the crate, or is that Griefing/ Non Participation?

- Can a disconnected player be rewarded a crate? Can an AFK player with no damage and no movement for the entire match be rewarded a crate?

- Can a Team Killer be rewarded a crate?

- Will there ever be Crate Rewards issued that have less MC value than the cost of a Lockpick?

-

- How long can players retain Crates before they have to sell/unlock them?

- will a Global message be sent when a crate is found to discourage further searching by both teams?

- will crate keys ever be given away as event rewards?

- are crate keys purchasable and can they be inventoried, or are crates opened directly with MC?

- are there plans for Advanced Lockpick that let you keep more content per Crate?

- does premium time have any effects on crates/payouts?

Edited by Prosperity Park, 10 May 2016 - 09:18 AM.

#51 GonaDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationThe biggest party you have ever seen

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:17 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 10 May 2016 - 08:52 AM, said:

And ppl pointlessly running around map for 1 in 12 chance of getting a 20k assuming your team somehow gets it everytime will help it how??

Doing extra assist per match will earn you more.

You are clearly not reading or understanding what I am saying.

I am trying to say this:

Creates rewarded to a random person OUTSIDE the match= GOOD (Like it works in TF2)

PGI's current plan=BAD

Even if the create is rewarded to one person, it's still FREE money.It's better than nothing.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

Edited by GonaDie, 10 May 2016 - 09:45 AM.

#52 IQcreditscore

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:24 AM

Unfortunately the crate system opens a real can of worms for the developer. They start making money, but not enough. Pretty soon reduced weight/crit slot/heat weapons will be included as "rare" items. People will chase them by spending money, especially the whales that are left. Purists leave due to the chance that some dude buys a "rare" star league era medium laser with 1000m range 8 damage and 2 heat while weighing 1/2 ton.......

I hope they don't do this, but it's generally a sign that a company needs more money when they start to pull out the gimmick stuff. Pity I have only played a month and was starting to enjoy myself.

#53 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:28 AM

The biggest change that crates need is to be handled 100% outside of actual combat gameplay. They should ONLY exist in the front end UI area where combat isn't affected.

Having to find a physical crate on a map during a mission will screw up gameplay by dividing teams and distracting them from their real objectives.

Edited by FupDup, 10 May 2016 - 09:28 AM.

#54 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:30 AM

View PostFupDup, on 10 May 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

The biggest change that crates need is to be handled 100% outside of actual combat gameplay. They should ONLY exist in the front end UI area where combat isn't affected.

Having to find a physical crate on a map during a mission will screw up gameplay by dividing teams and distracting them from their real objectives.

Yet, ironically, I suspect that these crates will distract a majority of each team to their location. Or, atleast, the lights.

#55 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:36 AM

View PostFupDup, on 10 May 2016 - 09:28 AM, said:

Lights cover the whole make in the first few minutes of the game. I dont see this being an issue. They're not going to make it super hard to find. They want people to find them and spend mc on it. If they make it cost more than say 500mc most players are not even going to care. Even if it was 10mc i wouldnt waste my time looking for it.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 10 May 2016 - 09:37 AM.

#56 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:39 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 10 May 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

Lights cover the whole make in the first few minutes of the game. I dont see this being an issue. They're not going to make it super hard to find. They want people to find them and spend mc on it. If they make it cost more than say 500mc most players are not even going to care. Even if it was 10mc now i wouldnt waste my time looking for it.

The "spending MC" part is fine. The "finding" part is not.

The "finding" should only happen outside of combat gameplay. You shouldn't have to physically locate a crate on the map, because it disrupts gameplay in a very bad kind of way.

The "finding" should happen in the post-match score screen. It could be a random drop every so often like TF2, or you could earn one from getting a high enough score, or from winning, or every few matches played, or some other criteria. ANY criteria other than splitting up teams and distracting them from objectives.

#57 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:01 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 10 May 2016 - 07:58 AM, said:

Now, lets say someone on the enemy team gets greedy, they see someone going for the crate, so they blast away and leg, and/or destroy their teammate going for the crate.

It just does not fit. Plain and simple.

Why would anyone get greedy and shoot their own teammate? I do not understand the motive. If your team finds it then everyone on the team has an equal chance of getting it. Shooting at your own team makes zero sense. Of course, people do that now just for the heck of it so that I suppose those same people will continue to do it.

I do agree that it is a really odd fit in this game. I would much prefer a game mode where you try to capture a convoy and then if they want a pay aspect to it the team members could each have the option of paying for a salvage crew to lift the salvage off planet. If you buy in for MC then you get a share of the loot. If you choose not to buy in then you can sell your rights to a share for c-bills. That way it has kind of a mercenary slant to it. It is still an odd fit for loyalist Clan or IS though.

Edited by Rampage, 10 May 2016 - 11:04 AM.

#58 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:40 AM

View PostRampage, on 10 May 2016 - 11:01 AM, said:

Why would anyone get greedy and shoot their own teammate? I do not understand the motive. If your team finds it then everyone on the team has an equal chance of getting it. Shooting at your own team makes zero sense. Of course, people do that now just for the heck of it so that I suppose those same people will continue to do it.

I do agree that it is a really odd fit in this game. I would much prefer a game mode where you try to capture a convoy and then if they want a pay aspect to it the team members could each have the option of paying for a salvage crew to lift the salvage off planet. If you buy in for MC then you get a share of the loot. If you choose not to buy in then you can sell your rights to a share for c-bills. That way it has kind of a mercenary slant to it. It is still an odd fit for loyalist Clan or IS though.

Again, I'm not saying it WILL happen, just that it CAN, happen. You don't need to understand the motive, you just need to know that, someone, somewhere out there in the ether could get greedy and shoot their teammate in the back to stop them from capturing the crate.

They could be thinking the less teammates alive at the end, the more chance I'll have of getting that crate. There are people out there in the world stupid enough to try something like that.

#59 MadcatX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:53 AM

If the crates contain something that can normally not be obtained by any other means, then yea I can see a few folks prioritizing crate gathering in solo QP.

I can't help but think what the heck are they planning to put in 'em though.

#60 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:03 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 10 May 2016 - 07:58 AM, said:

Derek, while I agree with your premise, I disagree wholeheartedly with everything else.

There's one, and I mean literally one reason why Crate/Lockboxes are literally the worst idea PGI could have implemented into this game.

Literally every other MMO type game out there that has these things, more often than not, say on the order of 75% of the time, people will be playing by themselves, so they can get all the boxes they want and do with them what they want.

These things have no place in FPS type games because it detracts from the game itself. MWO, CS:GO, etc are team based games played in arena style deathmatch... We all know every round in MWO basically devolves into "kill it with fire" over "play the f***ing objective".

So, now you're going to have one... Literally one flipping crate spawn randomly somewhere on the map? The possibilities not only for ganking and griefing, but for just straight up greed are ludicrous.

Say the enemy team finds the crate because it miraculously spawned near one of their drop zones... Enter a lone wolf light mech. The possibility for him to be insta-killed is enormous if the enemy team positions themselves right.

Now, lets say someone on the enemy team gets greedy, they see someone going for the crate, so they blast away and leg, and/or destroy their teammate going for the crate.

I'm not saying this will happen, only that it CAN happen, and eventually when it does start to happen, the rage will make the Phoenix Rising and other forum kerfluffles seem like a couple dogs just play wrestling.

I just... I literally for the life of me cannot fathom why anyone thought this was a good idea for an FPS PvP team-death-match type game, it just doesn't fit.

I literally uninstalled Star Trek Online when they introduced this kind of mechanic, and I'm seriously considering uninstalling MWO now for the same reason.

It just does not fit. Plain and simple.

+1. Agreed.

That said, this also feels like one of those things that I can probably ignore (like CW/FP/whatever it's called this week). In my opinion it's a waste of development resources, but I can (probably) just ignore it in game and it won't affect me.

True, the side effects you talk about will affect me, but there are side effects to CW/FP that also affect me and I just ignore them. I suspect that in the long run I'll be able to ignore the side effects of crates also.

Basically, I suspect that they'll be really popular for a short while, then people will realize that they're not worth the effort and start ignoring them. People figured out really quickly that the side targets in Domination are pointless, after all. They'll figure this out, too.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users