Once Upon A Time... This Was Meta!

60 replies to this topic

#41 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:38 PM

The big problem with poptarting was that so many people did it. Which is the same thing that happens with most metas whether it really is the be all end all option or not. Thing is nerfing something into the ground isn't the right fix because it just kills a entire style and brings up a new single style meta. Notice how you barely see any poptarting at all now, just a couple of mediums and maybe a Panther here and there? So go ahead and put some buffs back in to allow some more poptarting. As long as they don't go overboard with it, it won't become the be all end all, especially with the other changes that the game has had since then. Then we will have another good option which adds variety to the game.

#42 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:45 PM

View PostMoldur, on 16 May 2016 - 01:39 AM, said:

I was just thinking about how the filler shots in that video looked better than most other MWO footage.

Search up the rest of Celestial's stuff, he be no joke wit the vids.

#43 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,568 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:57 PM

There was once a time when the general MWO playerbase would have given literally anything to never see another poptart 'Mech again for as long as they lived.

Are Victors in a rough spot? Yeah. Do PPCs as a weapon class need some adjustment (and consequent lessening of ridicu-quirks for PPC 'Mechs)? Sure. Would it be great if assault-weight jump jets weren't garbage? Yep.

But really. Lasers aren't as big a problem as most people figure they are. Especially after tomorrow, when DakkaStorm Kodiaks and Spirit Bear-shaped battering rams are going to make all the laser machines hate their lives forever.

#44 Xocoyol Zaraoul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 178 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:02 PM

Urgh, what is that music?

I need to collect it and add it to my "Battletech" playlist for tabletop fridays...

Edited by Xocoyol Zaraoul, 16 May 2016 - 02:02 PM.

#45 H I A S

• 4,971 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:02 PM

Jumpsniping <3 Best meta we ever had <3

#46 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:03 PM

Ah when MWO was fun.

Where is Donald Trump to come and "MAKE MWO FUN AGAIN!!!!"?

#47 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

I never poptarted, I jump brawled, gave me a big jolt of hell yeah, shooting down at an earth bound mech, as the jets took you over its head, turning mid air, if you carried the speed to get behind an atlas to give it a full set of SRM's and an ac20 in the back.

Games never felt as close to that feeling since JJ's got killed

#48 Xocoyol Zaraoul

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 178 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:10 PM

View PostCathy, on 16 May 2016 - 02:47 PM, said:

I never poptarted, I jump brawled, gave me a big jolt of hell yeah, shooting down at an earth bound mech, as the jets took you over its head, turning mid air, if you carried the speed to get behind an atlas to give it a full set of SRM's and an ac20 in the back.

Irritatingly that was half of the point of Jump Jets in BattleTech TT, getting behind targets easier when they were close enough. I'd buy a Phoenix Hawk in a heart beat if JJs had more Vertical Oomph to them and better mobility in mid-air.

Edited by Xocoyol Zaraoul, 16 May 2016 - 04:11 PM.

#49 Voq

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 249 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:24 PM

View PostCathy, on 16 May 2016 - 02:47 PM, said:

It's totally true for me as well.
I loved when my heavies, lights, and assaults soared the way mediums still do.
It made JJs a real choice, and using them well so satisfying.

Fine, 35+ PPFLD was too much in combo (+ the bad hitboxes people mentioned). But the fun of genuinely mobile heavy platforms was so much fun.

#50 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:46 PM

I'll be quite honest:

I never want that singular, dominant style of gameplay ever again.
It was boring, the same thing time after time, with no effective counter ("But SRM!" No, your 1.5 damage nerfballs were worthless)

HoverJets™ can be fixed, and PPCs can be given a proper role (not 2KM/s 10 damage 8 heat every 3 second monstrosities...pick and choose, don't give them EVERY category)

#51 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:02 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 16 May 2016 - 04:46 PM, said:

I'll be quite honest:

It was boring, the same thing time after time, with no effective counter ("But SRM!" No, your 1.5 damage nerfballs were worthless)

HoverJets™ can be fixed, and PPCs can be given a proper role (not 2KM/s 10 damage 8 heat every 3 second monstrosities...pick and choose, don't give them EVERY category)

I'm OK with 2 km/s, 10dmg/10 ht every 4.5 seconds or so. Heat would not be as much a concern with me if they were fast enough to be reliable at long range.

Problem is one needs to set it so that every weapon has set roles they are for, because atm ERLL and LPL and Gauss are much more the all purpose nuisance on average.

Of course our issues go so far beyond the balance on a handful of individual weapons, it ain't even funny.

Without realistically addressing 1) Aiming, 2) Heatscale and 3) Open Mechlab, in that order, this game simply can't be balanced. At least not as a "Battletech Game".

View Postwanderer, on 16 May 2016 - 01:06 PM, said:

The problem with poptarting was accurate fire in midair (Paul whiffed on this by making accuracy only drop while the jets are active vs. making fire in midair inaccurate, period).

The response was incompletely fixing the actual issue and breaking jump jets along with leaving the primary metamechs crying in the quirk dust. And then leaving it that way.

This is, of course the normal process of things in MWO.

well then again, when an actual "fix the poptart issue only" solution was proposed a hefty portion of the comp nation cried their little hearts out, too. (Hint... extend reticle shake after thrust cutoff). Would have still left it doable, but a lot more difficult, especially with JJ heat and fall dmg implemented (both of which overall were good ideas). Oh, and if they would ever properly implement JJs to be exponentially scaling so that people weren't still sneaking 1-2, etc and that 8 JJ mechs weren't still basically hovermechs.

#52 Steel Claws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 665 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:00 PM

Sigh... such good memories I have of while driving my Dragon Slayer or Highlanders. I still drag them and my 3D phract out on occasion but PPCs are still too hot to be very viable. It took skill to lay down a smack down with PPCs, and now everyone just runs instant hit weapons. Point and click warriors. Sad. I actually loved running mediums snipers more but....

Sadly PGI has yet to learn an important lesson. Listen well Grasshopper, the nerf hammer has never been a solution. It is as I have always said, nerf something and another will take its place. To nerf is never the answer. All you ever do is drive away parts of your player base. All because some people can't figure out how to defeat other people's tactics or don't take the time to try.

Edited by Steel Claws, 16 May 2016 - 06:03 PM.

#53 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,726 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:02 PM

FIx my lurms!

#54 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,754 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:47 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 16 May 2016 - 04:46 PM, said:

I'll be quite honest:

Increase cooldown for long range energy weapons to be closer to current GR timings. Those energy weapons are a very large energy draw. It wasn't just the jumping with the need of only 1 JJ, thus saving 4-6tons of weight, the synergy between GR/ERppc or AC5/ERppc (primarily due to velocities being closely matched), etc, but also the ability to rapidly refire said energy weapons again and again, be it poptart or peekaboo.

Increase ballistic/ERppc velocities, not necessarily to prenerf settings, increase the jump height/acceleration of Class 1/2 jump jets but in order for them to be effective the need to equip min 3 JJ, not the just the prenerf setup of just needing one JJ and any additional provided barely anything else.

I want my jump brawling back too. The satisfaction of jumping in the middle of a lance or two, watching the amount of friendly fire while my fellow samurai open up their backsides...

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 16 May 2016 - 07:27 PM.

#55 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:15 PM

Summoner D left arm structure quirk pls?

#56 Steel Claws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 665 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:16 PM

All this fix this talk and pop tarting wont be an issue. Sadly that ship has sailed. Mostly lasers are far easier - as I always said - especially pulsed lasers. The maps aren't as open as they once were either, with the exception of some of the remaining older maps. With the way the game is now it isn't as effective. I still try it from time to time but even if the hover jets came back, it wouldn't be as effective. Too much has changed. Half of you are still flogging a dead horse.

#57 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:18 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 16 May 2016 - 08:32 AM, said:

LOL.

"If the meta becomes people being stupid and tanking enemy fire, then I would be happy."

Sure, and while we are at it, we should also make everyone wear fluorescent cammo and March in formation at all times. Then we can form squares when the enemy charges with cavalry and push them back with our Pikemen.

Yes... because a stupid thing is spotting for LRM's or using for LRM's...

Great to see the community is trying to make the game great.

#58 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:21 PM

I want JJ to feel like JJ again, I mean screen shake is fine, it takes skill to line up a shot falling down as it should be. Along with still some luck to it.

#59 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:26 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 16 May 2016 - 02:09 AM, said:

The best place its been in over 2 years ...
You mean 3 Large pulse lasers + 4 Medium lasers on every mech?
Dat variety!!!

I don't think anyone in these forums hates meta more than I (maybe bishop steiner too...lol)... And i'm telling you when you screw every other weapon and system in the game... 60+ giga-alpha laser puke is what you get.

Poptart meta was not good by any means... PGI just killed every poptart "mech" instead of killing poptarting!

ACs are used much more often, especially in brawlers. So are SRMs. Streakcrows are also a thing, although it was overly powerful at one point, but they're still viable now. Gauss has always been decent, and always a good option when paired. With the new open maps, LRMs has even come into their own.

The only weapons which are crap are pretty much cUACs, LBXs and PPCs.

The dominant weapons are still lasers, but there number of viable builds and weapons has drastically improved in the past 2 years.

#60 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:33 PM

View PostSteel Claws, on 16 May 2016 - 06:00 PM, said:

Sigh... such good memories I have of while driving my Dragon Slayer or Highlanders. I still drag them and my 3D phract out on occasion but PPCs are still too hot to be very viable. It took skill to lay down a smack down with PPCs, and now everyone just runs instant hit weapons. Point and click warriors. Sad. I actually loved running mediums snipers more but....

The medium ones still work, Hunch 2C being a fine example of Gauss+PPC

Adequate for long range, but woefully inferior up close...as it should be.

35 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 35 guests, 0 anonymous users