You Are A Better Mech Pilot If...

88 replies to this topic

#61 A Cultist

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUzbekistan

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:52 AM

There is approximately 50% chance to win or lose no matter the tier. If you lose and play very well you level up a little. If you lose and play average (300-400 dmg) you get =. But almost any win gives you tier up. So it is only a matter of time.
Still, if you level up really fast-then you are a good pilot.
If you want a good estimate of your quality of play-consider KMDD as the most important.

#62 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:50 AM

View PostKeshav Murali, on 22 May 2016 - 10:31 PM, said:

A unit mate created an alt account, went from T5 to T4 in (I think 5 games) with the trial Jagermech a few weeks back . He thought there might be some sort of PSR boost when you're a new account.

As you know, the PSR calculations took into account all games from Jan2015 for the original PSR rating and there is no such possible bonus for your main.

Yeah you get a big boost to PSR in the early going. If you get really big scores, you'll jump in tier fast. My alt account had matches with something like 1400, 1200 and 1100 dmg in the first three games using a champion TDR-9SE, and was immediately in Tier 3 with a good chunk of the bar filled. I actually felt kinda bad.

View PostA Cultist, on 16 December 2016 - 08:52 AM, said:

There is approximately 50% chance to win or lose no matter the tier. If you lose and play very well you level up a little. If you lose and play average (300-400 dmg) you get =. But almost any win gives you tier up. So it is only a matter of time.
Still, if you level up really fast-then you are a good pilot.
If you want a good estimate of your quality of play-consider KMDD as the most important.

KMDD is definitely a good indicator, I wish it was tracked more easily. I also like win% if you play solo, it should over time show if you're pulling your weight. If you play group there's other variables at play.

Edited by Luscious Dan, 16 December 2016 - 10:51 AM.

#63 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:52 AM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 16 December 2016 - 10:49 AM, said:

Yeah you get a big boost to PSR in the early going. My alt account had matches with something like 1400, 1200 and 1100 dmg in the first three games using a champion TDR-9SE, and was immediately in Tier 3 with a good chunk of the bar filled. I actually felt kinda bad.

I wouldn't feel too bad. You progressed so quickly out of those tiers that your influence there was probably rather minimal. Instead of being there for hundreds of games (think if you didn't have that PSR gain/loss increase), you where only there for 3 matches or less.

You have proved the reason behind the function, and justified it's reason for being in the game. You've also, at the same time, proved the reason why we have the PSR tiers, and at least some of the effectiveness of having them...

#64 rctechnologies

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:50 AM

The Tier system is...dysfunctional?....irrelevant?....There are a lot of words to describe it. The only hard fact I can present to the people is that I consistently achieve match scores within the top 5 of my team and damage score in the top 3 of my team while pugging. By consistently, I mean 93 out of 100 (I wrote it down for a week). I am still in the high end of tier 5.

I think someone said "just don't pay attention to it". That person is absolutely right. Just don't pay attention to it.

What a pilot should pay attention to is:

"How often do I ask myself 'what can I do for my team mate next to me right now'. "

"Hey I should shield those heavies with ECM "
"ooooh a Mech out in the wide open field. I should lock him and call out his target for lrms!"
"oooh theres a gauss sniper, or lrm boat, maybe I should daka him till he runs away"
"pretty sure I should just watch this flank right now"
"focus target delta, ok, ill do it NOW"
voip-"pssht...hey buddy I know that guy has lots of backup around that corner, let them get bored and come to us...pssht"

Most specifically asking yourself what you can do for the guy LITERALLY standing next to you is the magic pill for being an effective team player. This is also a mentality used by military special forces teams in all countries around the world. -And we know how effective they are....

So, if MWO is scored based on "being a valuable asset to your team", and the fore mentioned is one way of being a valuable asset to your team, then it follows that asking what you can do for your nearest team mate is one way to be a better mech pilot.

#65 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 02:45 PM

That 2 to 1 grind was wicked..... i shot up to about 1/2 way up on the t1 bar in like a 2 week span after entering t1

Now it has stopped...

Nothing has changed.. Still wrecking ****, getting 250k cbill rounds... 12- 1900 xp I mean dont get me wrong.. The pug drop brings you rounds that you have no choice or chance to win, MM has just put a bunch of old heads, with new heads or people who are trying builds out.

There are so many variables

#66 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:16 PM

If you

1) Hit the same target as your team mates

2) Concentrate your fire

3) Focus Fire

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 12 February 2017 - 06:17 PM.

#67 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:34 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 12 February 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

If you

1) Hit the same target as your team mates

2) Concentrate your fire

3) Focus Fire

Isn't that three ways of saying the same thing? Posted Image

#68 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:38 PM

Well it's rarer than you know 1 , 2 and 3

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 12 February 2017 - 09:38 PM.

#69 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:34 AM

Hell... Us old time pilots begged for VOIP... we got it.. and now we cant get you young jacks to even use your mic.. lol

The team that talks together... walks away together

Edited by Burnin2nd, 03 March 2017 - 03:45 AM.

#70 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:18 AM

If you...

... dont vote for crimson, hpg or mining and do the same routine every round, every day, over and over again...

#71 Shu Horus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:21 AM

Rule #1: Only Login if you are willing to participate.

NO ONE likes idle Players.

Rule #2: Participate from the beginning.

Games with 24 Players in it are no place for goofing around. If you need time to get used to your Setup and check your Firegroups or what ever keeps people sticking at the drop locations, firing holes into the air, rocks, walls or team mates legs and backs...that's what the testing grounds are for.

Just use your brain and a simple century old golden rule:
You should not do to others what you would not want them to do to you !

#72 Mad Skull

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:41 AM

Sorry i do not agree. If this be the case it would be entirely the luck of draw. I pug myself more then most players. I was in a few teams that disbanded till i created my own with only 3 members.
I have had good games with pugs and bad games with pugs. But it don't matter how good i am but it matters how good my team will be during that match.

#73 Ragnahawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 645 posts
  • LocationAce in RVN-3L, HBK-4P, CDA-2A, AS7-S, BNC-3M, Won Top Dog Tourny.. Those are my bests

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:12 AM

This has nothing to do with mechwarrior tutorial. Tier means you have more experience or more skill. It's one or the other. Both are values that contribute to success.

#74 warner2

• 1,101 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:53 PM

View PostTesunie, on 16 May 2016 - 08:30 PM, said:

I also tend to give a lot of advice and technical information all over the forums. I'd hate for someone to take misinformation just because someone has a high(er) tier.

Doesn't matter what my tier is, T5, T1 or something between. I might not have the skill to do stuff (or luck), but that doesn't mean I do or don't know what I'm talking about. (As I've told others, my knowledge often exceeds my skills.)

Even then, I play only to have fun. Often times, I've found lower tier matches to just be more fun than higher tier matches. I know, as I have two accounts. Not to mention this account as progressed through tiers...

I would play Devil's advocate here and point out that even a player with average raw skills (such as aim or piloting ability) can be a very good player through knowledge alone. Knowledge about builds, positioning, maps and so on far out-weights skill IMO. You don't need skill to be a very good player it's all the other things that are more important.

PSR isn't about skill it is about effectiveness at winning matches. Your PSR goes up if you win. Ask the guys who are "Max Tier 1" who can't pilot for toffee - they got to T1 by playing on the group queue being carried to victory after victory.

I'm not defending PSR however it does seem to be broken at the moment.

#75 warner2

• 1,101 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 01:56 PM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 16 May 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

Good points Metus. Here is a weird example that proves statistics/tier ain't all there is.
I played on Alpine and i ran all the way behind the enemy alone. I held the attention of half the enemy team as they kept shooting at me in vain.
I distracted them so well that my teammates had a very easy time of overwhelming them.

I finished the match with a bit over 200 damage and no kills. Don't think i even gave good enough lock for an LRM salvo or take off the limb of a single enemy.
Despite this i influenced the match just as much as my most damaging teammates by keeping the enemy shooting at rocks and air.

I think i got tier percentage decrease from that match. If a player could do this every match and stay tier 5 from it then he is just as good a player as any of those "elite" players.

Funny fact about that match....my mech didn't suffer a single scratch throughout the match. Not even so much as a bump or laser scratch....nothing.
That's efficiency for you. +200 damage but no damage in return. Even elite players have a hard time doing 200 damage without suffering a single point of damage in return.

Did you win or lose that match? You said that your teammates "had a very easy time of overwhelming them".

I don't think I've ever won a match AND gone down in PSR. In-fact quite the opposite - I've played really badly, had a terrible match, but my team has wne and my PSR has gone up.

Regardless if you do things like that in a match and it is effective then your team will win and in my experience at least a win equals an increase in PSR.

#76 Ayaka Quinn

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

View PostPraetorGix, on 18 May 2016 - 10:38 PM, said:

Neh... if you reach tier one it just means you played a lot. I am happily going up in the ranks as we speak despite being quite bad and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Agreed.

#77 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:14 AM

Is it even possible to lose your PSR? Can't tell.
Mine has stayed maxed out since they introduced it.
Maybe because I only play meta: Mist Lynx, Kit Fox and Dragon
LOL.

Edited by Kmieciu, 03 March 2017 - 03:15 AM.

#78 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:24 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 03 March 2017 - 03:14 AM, said:

Is it even possible to lose your PSR? Can't tell.
Mine has stayed maxed out since they introduced it.
Maybe because I only play meta: Mist Lynx, Kit Fox and Dragon
LOL.

It is possible, but only on a loss. If you win a match, your PSR score can not go down.

If you win and get a match score under 100, you will not change your PSR score. Any score above 100 will move you up. The higher that match score, the better.

On a loss, you will lose PSR for a match score under 300-350ish range (not sure the exact number). A match score around 300 will result in no loss, and a match score in the "this is crazy" territory (around 400) will give you a small boost.

However, to note, even on a 0 match score loss, you will always gain more PSR than you can lose in a single match. So it would take roughly two bad loss match scores before you essentially lose PSR from a single reasonable win (a win with a match score above 100).

At least as I've observed the system and what I've read from these forums.

#79 Heketon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 16 May 2016 - 08:23 AM, said:

Not entirely true.... the Teir system is weighted to move you up, eventually everyone will be T1, it just takes time... Also since the match score system is heavily influenced by damage done, it rewards sloppy gunnery and punishes efficient gunnery.

Then how come I'm drifting down into Tier 5? I've been floating in Tier 4 since the program started and I'm getting worse, not better.

(Although it doesn't help when the pug teams I'm on are consistently getting rolled 1-12/2-12/3-12 with me as the first dead mech.)

Posted Image I've been getting frustrated with my performance for a while now.

#80 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:54 PM

View PostHeketon, on 12 May 2017 - 03:55 PM, said:

Then how come I'm drifting down into Tier 5? I've been floating in Tier 4 since the program started and I'm getting worse, not better.

(Although it doesn't help when the pug teams I'm on are consistently getting rolled 1-12/2-12/3-12 with me as the first dead mech.)

Posted Image I've been getting frustrated with my performance for a while now.

Okay. Can't exactly help too much without seeing what you are doing, but there are several things you can consider for yourself. Though your teammates will have a larger influence on your individual matches, as you are only a single person out of twenty three other players, you need to leverage what influence you can make on the match as best you can. If you are the first one dead all the time, than it sounds like problem one may be you are playing too aggressively compared to your teammates.

I'm not saying to "sit out back", but try to stay with your team more, instead of pushing ahead of your team. (I'm taking a guess here.)

Another thing to consider is communication. Are you talking to your team at all? Even using the command wheel (default is pressing E) can help give direction to your team. If you have a mic, try to use it to provide intel (not insults or discouragement, as that doesn't lead anywhere). (Once again, not saying you are or not here.)

Something else you can consider is how your mechs are made. Though I'm all for freedom of design, playing to your skills/strengths and doing what you feel works best for you, there are always ways to improve your mech's builds to help optimize it for you. Meta designs tend to work great, but aren't for everyone and doesn't always provide the most for an individual person's skill set.

Last thing I can suggest is possibly seeing how your computer is running the game. Are you getting good frame rates? No? Check and reduce your graphic settings maybe. Is your internet being solid (Host State Rewind, a mechanic to compensate for latency/lag doesn't like internet that moves too much in PING)? No? Can you hard wire your computer to your internet if on wireless? Is there any way to adjust your internet to make it more stable? Having a hard time keeping your weapons on target? Have you adjusted your mouse sensitivity? The default mouse sensitivity is set to max within the game settings. Reduce this to help when lining and keeping shots on target. (And many other possibilities.)

So, without looking at your builds, computer or even how you play, I can't really recommend or help anything specifically. Of course, I'd also advise one to not worry too much about PSR and just play the game and have fun. It's a nice goal to motivate you, but shouldn't be something to depress you. PSR is inherently designed to push people up more than down, but people can drop in levels if they are not doing well enough in the tier they currently are placed (because in theory the higher your tier, the tougher your opponents).

I suggest you just play the game for the fun of it and not worry about your PSR or any other singular stat. Leave it as a goal to have, but don't stress over it. It's a game. Games are to have fun with, not to produce unneeded stress. Normal life provides plenty enough of that...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users