• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:02 AM

Gomand

Fellanin II, Kessel Prefecture

Benjamin Military District, Draconis Combine

29 May 3039

As the Cyclops’s Zeus-36 Mark III autocannon savaged the BattleMech, the twenty-ton Wasp in Fourth Proserpina Hussars colors separated in two along its waist with a flash of concealed secondary explosions and a puff of shattered internal structure. The upper body hammered into the asphalt bridge, gouging troughs as it skidded for several meters before coming to a stop against an abandoned car. Meanwhile the legs clipped one of the five-centimeter steel suspender cables of the magnificent Trandim Bridge, which stretched northeast across the Alba River and into the city of Gomand. The cable sheared clean through the Wasp’s already weakened right leg with almost surgical precision, and the shredded leg parts avalanched down onto the uncaring bridge as well.

The enemy ’Mech already forgotten, Major Ariana Winston breathed the acrid stench of her own sweat from long hours in the cockpit and snuck a quick sip of stale, lukewarm water from the straw stuffed under the edge of her tight-fitting neurohelmet. Then, with her Cyclops, Sleipnir—she was such a sucker for Norse mythology—planted in the middle of the bridge as sure as any foundation, she listened to overlapping comm channels and watched avidly as the skein of red and green arrows moved within the tight confines of Gomand.

Fingers played the BattleMech’s cockpit console as a maestro, drawing out details. Others often scoffed at her ride, underarmed and underarmored compared to other ninety-ton ’Mechs, but her Tacticon B-2000 Battle Computer gave her unparalleled battlefield information. She was a good pilot, no doubt about it, but she was an excellent commander, largely due to maximizing the use of the tools at her disposal.

Dammit all! Those Hussars be moving up three streets over. Recon Lance, shore up that position. You let them Snakes outfox ya, and I’ll personally take stripes out your backside, boy.

Ariana smiled at Captain Delphi Jacob’s tone, as her key-frequency for the Seventy-first Light Horse Regiment—and Jacob’s Company—matched up with moving icons on her battle computer display. You’d think he was a crabby fifty-year-old instead of just into his thirties.

That’s it, Hussars. Come on, take the bait. No infantry hiding down this street. Just a lone Mech, cut off from her lancemates, waiting for you to show ’em whose boss.

Another channel from much farther into the city. Captain Clarissa, from her own Twenty-first Striker Regiment, but the Fifth Striker Battalion instead of Ariana’s Seventh Striker. Giant ones, Clarissa. But dangerous to use yourself as bait to lure them into a trap … should’ve used one of your scouts. Dangling as bait is part of their job. They lose you, your whole company might just fall apart.

Zavier’s down, as well as Hadim. Pull back up Third Street, and we’ll wheel back down Fifth to meet up with the Striker Lance. They’re starting to push hard. Don’t think we can hold it….”

That would be Zavier’s Company, also part of the Seventy-first. Ariana grimaced. She had never met the man personally, but he was known throughout the Eridani Light Horse as a good man to have at your back.

She pulled up several overlays onto the city, eyes tracking movement as she continued sampling comm channels, her long studies of battles and her innate command ability projecting several potential outcomes.

The pattern snapped into place several minutes before it would become apparent to others. These Snakes would drag the city down around the Light Horse’s ears if they had to, but they had to know they couldn’t keep playing cat-and-mouse. We’ll win, they’ll lose. So the Snakes were going to push out of the city. And they would push right through her.

lf an hour of her own silence in the dry heat of her cockpit, she had to swallow heavily before addressing her troops. “Our R-and-R is just about up, folks. The Fourth Proserpina Hussars have just realized they can’t hold the city and can’t damage us enough to make long-term entrenchment worth the pain. They’re gonna break out, and they’ll be coming right through us.”

She eased her hands onto her joysticks with casual ease, excitement lighting a fire in her eyes. “Time to earn our keep.”

CYCLOPS “SLEIPNIR”

Per Star League Defense Force Quartermaster’s request, Stormvanger Assemblies, Unlimited delivered an assault command platform for Regular Army forces operating in swift, mobile offensives. Its above-average speed for a ninety-ton BattleMech—sixty-four kilometers per hour—superb command capabilities in its Tacticon B-2000 Battle Computer, and Olmstead 8400 communications system covered the requested specifications in spades. Unfortunately, many SLDF commanders often tried using the Cyclops as an assault BattleMech along the lines of more heavily armored Awesomes or Stalkers, only to find themselves outgunned with below-average armor. This earned it an unfair reputation, leaving it an unusual BattleMech, with most having lost their Tacticon long ago due to poor repairs and lack of supplies.

The daughter of Colonel Charles Winston, Ariana was a mercenary brat, raised by the soldiers of the Eridani Light Horse. What could easily have turned into nepotism was anything but as she joined basic training after her nineteenth birthday. Forswearing even a hint of favoritism, her poor study skills left her struggling under the extra burden of too many watchful eyes. Despite an inauspicious start, through grit and determination she ultimately graduated top of her class.

Upon taking command of the Seventh Striker Battalion, she chose a Cyclops—which she named Sleipnir—knowing its poor reputation would test her skills even further.

Written by Randall Neil Bills

Catalyst Game Labs

#2 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:05 AM

Looks good.
Very intrigued in how the model itself will look like, though.

#3 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:15 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 16 May 2016 - 10:05 AM, said:

Looks good.
Very intrigued in how the model itself will look like, though.

As am I.

Quick question though with the legs presented in the BP;

Are they arched back like chicken legs or have they been flipped to be opposite of the Torso to legs? Kind of hard to tell but I'm guessing that's the case considering the way the rear of it looks.

#4 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:16 AM

Yeah, glad I pre-bought. Also....Wasp, eh? Hmmmm...

#5 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:19 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 16 May 2016 - 10:15 AM, said:

As am I.

Quick question though with the legs presented in the BP;

Are they arched back like chicken legs or have they been flipped to be opposite of the Torso to legs? Kind of hard to tell but I'm guessing that's the case considering the way the rear of it looks.

They seem to be bent normally (sort of how the Grasshopper's legs look like. Very similar design in fact)
Just comparing it to the Concept art makes the direction pretty obvious.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 16 May 2016 - 10:19 AM.

#6 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:25 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 16 May 2016 - 10:19 AM, said:

They seem to be bent normally (sort of how the Grasshopper's legs look like. Very similar design in fact)
Just comparing it to the Concept art makes the direction pretty obvious.

Or Archer might be a good example. Cyclops' gonna have cankles.

#7 sCOREscream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 859 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:28 AM

Very nice, like it. Beautiful. Hope the hardpoints will be higher !

#8 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:36 AM

View PostsCOREscream, on 16 May 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

Very nice, like it. Beautiful. Hope the hardpoints will be higher !

What do you think this is, a battle sim? We don't need no stinking useful hardpoints!

#9 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:13 AM

Cool story but someone forgot the hero mech has dual gauss rifles.

#10 Gannycus

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:15 AM

Mechbay sale please.

#11 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:28 AM

View PostGannycus, on 16 May 2016 - 11:15 AM, said:

Mechbay sale please.

(Cyclops preorder come with Mechbays...)

#12 pacifica812

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 310 posts
  • LocationAt home, at work, or on the stage... mostly

Posted 16 May 2016 - 11:39 AM

I always liked the unique head of this mech since I first saw it. Think it's gonna be sweet

However I'm thinking about the Tacticon though ... so the sole benefit of it is to boost the sensor range of nearby mechs ?

It would be nice if it had a special uav ability or uav boost or advanced uav duration. Or sth. like seismic sensor built in...
After reading the story it just feels like the Tacticon we're getting in game is a sub-standard or a downsized version of it compared to the importance of the one described in the story.

#13 Gannycus

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:13 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 16 May 2016 - 11:28 AM, said:

(Cyclops preorder come with Mechbays...)

(But Cyclops preorder is not in sale..)

#14 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

The concept of a specialized command vehicle is great, but until you can run the battle grid on a separate display from your cockpit view, you won't get maximum effectiveness from it.

#15 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:29 PM

View PostGannycus, on 16 May 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

(But Cyclops preorder is not in sale..)

(This is a Cyclops thread)

#16 Gannycus

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:15 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 16 May 2016 - 12:29 PM, said:

(This is a Cyclops thread)

(So why do you discuss with me? Say something about Cyclops or you will be OT)

Cyclops is nice... mechbay sale please!

#17 A Man In A Can

• 1,594 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted 16 May 2016 - 02:41 PM

View PostGannycus, on 16 May 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

But Cyclops pre-order is not on sale..

The Cyclops pre-order is already a sale. Similar to the mastery packs in value.

#18 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 03:09 PM

I'm on the fence, love the design of the Mech and I really need an IS Assault.

But I have a feeling PGI will over-value the sensor sharing ability and give the Cyclops beyond terrible quirks. As it stands, the Cyclops hardpoints are already bad.

#19 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 16 May 2016 - 04:20 PM

View PostLegendaryArticuno, on 16 May 2016 - 03:09 PM, said:

I'm on the fence, love the design of the Mech and I really need an IS Assault.

But I have a feeling PGI will over-value the sensor sharing ability and give the Cyclops beyond terrible quirks. As it stands, the Cyclops hardpoints are already bad.

It's low on energy, but can boat ballistics pretty hard. I don't see hard points being limited at all.

#20 Aidan Pendragon

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:16 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 16 May 2016 - 10:02 AM, said:

As the Cyclops’s Zeus-36 Mark III autocannon savaged the BattleMech, the twenty-ton Wasp in Fourth Proserpina Hussars colors separated in two ...Then, with her Cyclops, Sleipnir—she was such a sucker for Norse mythology—planted in the middle of the bridge as sure as any foundation, she listened to overlapping comm channels and watched avidly as the skein of red and green arrows moved within the tight confines of Gomand. Fingers played the BattleMech’s cockpit console as a maestro, drawing out details. Others often scoffed at her ride, underarmed and underarmored compared to other ninety-ton ’Mechs, but her Tacticon B-2000 Battle Computer gave her unparalleled battlefield information. She was a good pilot, no doubt about it, but she was an excellent commander, largely due to maximizing the use of the tools at her disposal.

I would give my right eye for a game where we could actually get and use combat info like this, instead of the sea of ECM, blank displays, and targets the computer can't tag even if you're looking at them.

I'd give the other eye for a game where a lone, "underarmed and underarmored" assault 'Mech with a single AC/20 can "savage" a 20-ton light. They must not have eight-hardpoint small pulse laser vomit and doubled armor values in this so-called "Battle Tech" universe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users