8 replies to this topic

#1 Ketheres

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:33 PM

Hi,
I just started playing MWO after a 3-4 year break. I participated in the beta awhile ago and noticed it was finally on Steam so I downloaded it again.

Game is just as fun as it was before, however I'm encountering a strange bug/glitch where the game puts me into "Power Saving Mode" at random times. I would then get a black screen but I can still hear people talking on the mic during the game. I am unable to alt-tab out or close the game. I've tried the Windows key, CTRL+ALT+DEL, Alt+F4, etc. but nothing works. Only a hard, manual power reset will restart my computer.

I've experienced it while trying to do the tutorials (it would crash when switching to the next checkpoint) or during the middle of a match.

System specs:
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz
16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 380
1000 W CoolerMaster PSU

Full screen mode on MWO w/ High Graphics

This is the only game where I'm experiencing this problem. I've been playing The Division lately on med/high graphics and have no issues.

Would appreciate any advice or help on this as this is driving me nuts and I'm unable to play.
Thanks in advance!

#2 Moomtazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 577 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:36 PM

This happened to me yesterday on crimson straits. Screen went black for about 5 seconds. Probably a new feature.

Edited by Moomtazz, 17 May 2016 - 02:36 PM.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,737 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:02 PM

That is the monitor's Power Saving Mode. It will do that when it is no longer receiving a video signal. Try Alt Enter (changes to windowed mode) to see if that does anything. If not then the driver had not recovered itself, possible driver issue.

Control Panel, Power Options, set to Best/High Performance.

Are you playing the game at your monitor's native/normal resolution or are you running the game at a different resolution?

You mentioned you are playing in FULL SCREEN. Change it to a full/normal Windowed mode and test.

Are you running the newest Crimson drivers for your GPU? Roll it back a version or to the last set of Catalyst drivers.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 17 May 2016 - 03:05 PM.

#4 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:03 PM

It's the new AMD driver. Roll it back to the previous one.

#5 Ketheres

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:08 PM

Hi Tarl Cabot,

I tried switching it from Fullscreen to Windowed Mode and still got the same error after 5 minutes into a match.
I'm running it at my native/recommended resolution

I just switched my Power management from Balanced to High Performance. Yes, I have the latest Crimson drivers. I'll look into rolling back to a Catalyst but if I can solve the issue without it, I'd prefer it.

Thanks

View PostTarl Cabot, on 17 May 2016 - 03:02 PM, said:

That is the monitor's Power Saving Mode. It will do that when it is no longer receiving a video signal. Try Alt Enter (changes to windowed mode) to see if that does anything. If not then the driver had not recovered itself, possible driver issue.

Control Panel, Power Options, set to Best/High Performance.

Are you playing the game at your monitor's native/normal resolution or are you running the game at a different resolution?

You mentioned you are playing in FULL SCREEN. Change it to a full/normal Windowed mode and test.

Are you running the newest Crimson drivers for your GPU? Roll it back to the Catalyst drivers.

#6 Ketheres

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:53 PM

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

Changing my power settings to High Performance and going into Full Windowed mode helped a bit. I was able to play a full match before the bug hit me again.

I'm going to try rolling back to an earlier video driver version and see if it helps.

#7 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,737 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:59 AM

Try the 15.11.1 drivers. Do an uninstall on the current set of GPU drivers first.

http://support.amd.c...-30-hotfix.aspx

Several reported last month that reverting to the 15.11.1 drivers resolved their black screen/signal loss issue.

https://community.am...art=15&tstart=0

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 18 May 2016 - 05:59 AM.

#8 Ketheres

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:20 AM

Wow. Thank you so much for researching those links Tarl!
I did some more tinkering with my power save settings last night and was able to play matches without crashing. About 5-6 matches.
However, when I tried the academy training sessions this morning, it promptly crashed within 10 minutes. So..I have no idea what it is.

I'm gonna look into rolling back the drivers though.
Thanks again!

View PostTarl Cabot, on 18 May 2016 - 05:59 AM, said:

Try the 15.11.1 drivers. Do an uninstall on the current set of GPU drivers first.

http://support.amd.c...-30-hotfix.aspx

Several reported last month that reverting to the 15.11.1 drivers resolved their black screen/signal loss issue.

https://community.am...art=15&tstart=0

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:40 AM

It's noteworthy that when video card drives first make their change (or if you accidentally opt into beta drivers)... you end up with something that's bound to screw up. Like this from Skyrim and a Radeon update in 2012 where just after updating, I wound up with the game doing what is shown.

I tend to wait 3 to 4 weeks after AMD driver updates roll out to let the bugs get worked out first before updating as a result.

Edited by Koniving, 18 May 2016 - 07:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users