• 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:06 PM

View Postgimmie, on 20 May 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

I for one will be moving over to the next StompyRobotSimulator™ that drops onto the market.

IDK.. Heavy Gear Assault looks like a hot bag of garbage.

#22 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:25 PM

HGA looks better than MWO did in alpha.

Edited by MischiefSC, 20 May 2016 - 04:27 PM.

#23 Adamski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:32 PM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 19 May 2016 - 08:29 PM, said:

The only simple fix I can think of is allowing peeps to reinforce attacks, just like defense. While it doesnt fix the core issue of too many factions for small populations it would open up more matches.

That would be a double edged sword, more drops, but more casual seals giving up hard fought territory / scouting data.

#24 Armando

CookieWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • LocationRaiding the Cookie Jar

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:53 PM

View PostAdamski, on 20 May 2016 - 04:32 PM, said:

That would be a double edged sword, more drops, but more casual seals giving up hard fought territory / scouting data.

When Seals queue up against a team of Walruses it normally ends with the Seals WISHING they would have been Clubbed. It is a true today as is was the day the game was first dropped.

The only question is "Which is worse"....the Seals getting consumed by Walruses after a 60 second wait, or Seals getting consumed by Walruses after at 60+ minute wait???

#25 Necromantion

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:05 PM

I havent been playing for this exact reason for the most part.

Phase 3 was not a content patch which it was disguised as, it was a QQ dampening attempt that really introduced no more significant depth or reward to the game.

When Russ announced the major features and then said that this would likely be the last large patch to the faction play game mode I was like well screw this...

Edited by Necromantion, 20 May 2016 - 07:45 PM.

#26 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:21 PM

Phase 3 fell flat on its face. Except 4v4 it failed to add anything that could help CW to gain more players or fix the glaring issues we are having since day 1 of its release. well at least we have a second xp bar now (Leaderboard)

Ones more Russ announced big and delivered litttle (which was to be expected).

#27 Commander A9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:14 PM

The major units quitting CW or breaking up is giving PGI exactly what they want.

Which I refuse to yield to.

So you can expect me to keep playing CW.

Edited by Commander A9, 20 May 2016 - 09:18 PM.

#28 _Comrade_

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:38 PM

Yes they need to fix the loyality penalty stuff. For example i was in a unit that was loyal JF...they aren't around much anymore so i left. But now im stuck as a loyalist unable to go anywhere without incurring a penalty.. Basically PGI is forcing me to stay with my faction (or be penalized). Maybe if you leave a unit you should have to re-pick your career with no penaltites?

Edited by Grimwill, 20 May 2016 - 09:39 PM.

#29 Kwea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 374 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:42 PM

View PostContrex, on 20 May 2016 - 09:47 AM, said:

Or just split those super bit units into max 50 member units. So if 2 units switch faction, none realy cares.
MS has 360 member + a sub unit. They might play together the first days after the cut, but time after time they gonna seperate.

Actualy there is no need at all for those super big units. I think, that even 50 is mutch. U cant know everyone if u have a unit that big, so who cares if he is with you there. The only reason is, to get planets, but its bad for the populationchanges.

You have no clue. Most nights we have 2-3 12 mans going, that's it. We have 360 members, with maybe 130 that play CW...scattered over 5 countries world-wide.

How about you play with your friends, and we play with ours, and we fix the game so it works for everyone rather than blaming the only unit large enough to carry a faction to Terra twice in one season.

#30 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:32 PM

View PostKwea, on 20 May 2016 - 09:42 PM, said:

You have no clue. Most nights we have 2-3 12 mans going, that's it. We have 360 members, with maybe 130 that play CW...scattered over 5 countries world-wide.

How about you play with your friends, and we play with ours, and we fix the game so it works for everyone rather than blaming the only unit large enough to carry a faction to Terra twice in one season.

I've said this repeatedly. You would not believe how much nobody is willing to believe it. I've had someone try to tell me that yes, they can go to MS TS and see there's only 2 12mans there but actually you have separate hidden TS with many more 12mans dropping so nobody knows how big you are.

People get irrational about 'enemies'. That nefarious, mysterious 'other'. 'Them'. For what it's worth you've actually triggered the Boogieman response in some people. You tell them to just go drop in MS TS and many flat out refuse like it's supper with the devil.

Part of that though is your tendency to pull a 'I do wut I want' all the time. At someone point you're going to get burned. You think the offhanded nerfs from PGI have been bad so far just ask NKVA what it's like when PGI decides to hatchet you. They'll ban you then change ToS *afterward* to include what they banned you for. PGI weaponized boredom in FW and considers it a good mechanic. Be careful about assuming they won't just do a full nutty at the drop of a hat.

#31 Randy Poffo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:48 PM

If that's how you felt then why did y'all scream bloody murder about the existence of a solo q?

I thought the whole point was making it so that people HAD to play with you if they wanted to play at all.

#32 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:53 PM

I've played CW a lot, and quite exclusively for months.
But having only one lane is so dumb it skyrocks waiting time..... so I'm not playing cw anymore...

GG pgi, you managed to do it...

#33 crustydog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:19 PM

I spent Friday night drop commanding pug pick up groups for the FRR. In spite of waiting in queues (longer I think due to Kodiak event) we still completed 10+ invasion drops during the evening.

Even though we were pugging it, we won every drop until MS 12 mans started defending the world we were attacking. Many of our earlier drops involved fairly skilled opponents, including some of the best known players in the game. You couldn't say the same for the players on our side.

Later on, when MS showed up with full teams, we did not fold like a wet paper bag - we gave them a run for their money each and every time, and all of our matches were defeats - but close defeats. Nobody camped our dropzones, or anything similar to the type of outcomes you see when you are severely outclassed.

So what we are seeing at the FRR teamspeak hub is a system that is producing random pick up groups of reasonably competent players, even able to play against organized teams without getting rolled. In theory, this is the ideal scenario for how FW is supposed to work for the solo players. Everybody gets a good long match, against talented and challenging opponents, and everybody gets paid for their efforts.

So how did this happen? It came about through the deliberate efforts of teams. Teams working together to support the hub structure and it's management. Teams working together to provide an environment where the new guys can integrate themselves, and have the time needed to develop their skills. It works, and it is continuing to work, and PGI has nothing to do with it.

Pug groups challenging MS teams? Who would have thought that possible? Not if you listen to the whining and anti-team garbage spewed by some ignorant members in this forum.

Somewhere along the line PGI picked up on and bought into this anti-team mentality, when all the while it is the teams and their mutual efforts to support the game that are keeping the wheels on the wagon. The efforts to further restrict the day to day actions of the teams have all but broken the participation spirit of this place, and placed the survival of the entire project into doubt.

Perhaps it is time to start supporting the teams again, and well past time to start listening to them. In general, the teams are often made up of the best and brightest players in the game, the ones who actually understand what is working, and what is broken. It is time to give the teams a much greater input into what goes on around here.

If PGI is smart enough to see it.

#34 FallingAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 627 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:43 PM

So how does "we" fix the game...? MS going to fix the game? The community going to fix the game?

#35 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:36 AM

View Postcrustydog, on 20 May 2016 - 11:19 PM, said:

I spent Friday night drop commanding pug pick up groups for the FRR. In spite of waiting in queues (longer I think due to Kodiak event) we still completed 10+ invasion drops during the evening.

Even though we were pugging it, we won every drop until MS 12 mans started defending the world we were attacking. Many of our earlier drops involved fairly skilled opponents, including some of the best known players in the game. You couldn't say the same for the players on our side.

Later on, when MS showed up with full teams, we did not fold like a wet paper bag - we gave them a run for their money each and every time, and all of our matches were defeats - but close defeats. Nobody camped our dropzones, or anything similar to the type of outcomes you see when you are severely outclassed.

So what we are seeing at the FRR teamspeak hub is a system that is producing random pick up groups of reasonably competent players, even able to play against organized teams without getting rolled. In theory, this is the ideal scenario for how FW is supposed to work for the solo players. Everybody gets a good long match, against talented and challenging opponents, and everybody gets paid for their efforts.

So how did this happen? It came about through the deliberate efforts of teams. Teams working together to support the hub structure and it's management. Teams working together to provide an environment where the new guys can integrate themselves, and have the time needed to develop their skills. It works, and it is continuing to work, and PGI has nothing to do with it.

Pug groups challenging MS teams? Who would have thought that possible? Not if you listen to the whining and anti-team garbage spewed by some ignorant members in this forum.

Somewhere along the line PGI picked up on and bought into this anti-team mentality, when all the while it is the teams and their mutual efforts to support the game that are keeping the wheels on the wagon. The efforts to further restrict the day to day actions of the teams have all but broken the participation spirit of this place, and placed the survival of the entire project into doubt.

Perhaps it is time to start supporting the teams again, and well past time to start listening to them. In general, the teams are often made up of the best and brightest players in the game, the ones who actually understand what is working, and what is broken. It is time to give the teams a much greater input into what goes on around here.

If PGI is smart enough to see it.

Admittedly part of that is units actively recruiting people. That's the real benefit of units - they collect players and share knowledge. It's why we function best in groups regardless of setting. A group of people will share their knowledge and produce a whole better than the sum of its parts.

It's why I don't like unit caps. There are so many better ways to fix the problem.

We don't need more lanes - we need better ones. One queue per front. No split attack/defend. One world, everyone on it. Solves a ton of unit v pugs problems. Increase total squares to take by 33% and boom. You've got a better overall environment. Units more likely to play against other units too.

Throw tagging planets out. Burn the idea with the rest of the trash. You play in 10 winning matches on a planet you get 10 wins worth of the MC reward or bonus cbills or whatever the 'flipping a planet' reward is. Quit making membership to a big unit the factor that determines your reward for taking planets. Make participating in a winning match the factor. Suddenly you'll have pugs begging to drop with good units and caring if they win the match because now there are rewards they can actually get.

Give loyalist a huge kitty of bonuses. Cbill bonuses, LP bonuses, even MC bonuses on flipping worlds. Let them vote to post some of those bonuses as rewards to mercs who fight for them. Mercs get 72 hours to 'vote' to take a contract there by X date, loyalists vote to accept/decline unit by unit. This way loyalists can functionally hire mercs. If they don't hire mercs they are making more than mercs do save for mercs good enough to be worth sacrificing your bonuses to hire.

That will promote lower population factions who can't take worlds spending more to hire mercs. It also means factions with more fighting than they can handle are prompted to hire mercs. It means the best mercs will get the best rewards and contracts.

Let mercs take 0 bonus contracts wherever they want.

Boom, loyalist/merc issues solved. Mercs with good reputations and good results will get sought out and paid better. Better coordinated and organized factions will be better able to coordinate hiring good mercs. Make using alts to try and swing deals for primaries something you get banned and cbills stripped over.

All of these issues can be fixed with existing mechanics. Players are just players - pug, solo, unit, loyalist, merc. The only thing that differentiates units from solo players is a willingness to put the effort into coordinating and gathering/training/communicating with other players. The problem isn't units - it's how many people are not in units but want the same rewards for less effort.

#36 Mordin Ashe

• 1,505 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:01 AM

Well lets be fair, CJF can get to Terra even without you. I agree on everything else though, blaming the only successful unit is really not the way to go.

#37 ShiftySWP and the Pleated Pants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:10 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 21 May 2016 - 02:36 AM, said:

The problem isn't units - it's how many people are not in units but want the same rewards for less effort.

I like your whole post but this part.....

The problem is that FP is not really that fun these days. 1 of 10 drops is a GG. 1 of 10 drops (from my experience) is a ghost drop. 8 of 10 drops is roll one way or another. Add 5-15min of waiting for a drop and 25min games means.... 1..2..3...280ish minutes of play time for 20-25min of GG. Add the fact that every game, every map plays the same.....

A week ago I was on every night. Now, I can and will do better things with my 4+ hours from until this gets better.

Wallet vote time as well. I gave back Kodiak before the release. Time to give back my last and only pre-order. Sad to say... bye bye Phoenix Hawk.

Edited by ShiftySWP and the Pleated Pants, 21 May 2016 - 03:18 AM.

#38 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:11 AM

All of these issues can be fixed with existing mechanics. Players are just players - pug, solo, unit, loyalist, merc. The only thing that differentiates units from solo players is a willingness to put the effort into coordinating and gathering/training/communicating with other players. The problem isn't units - it's how many people are not in units but want the same rewards for less effort.

QFT

The thing is, if people actually spent time getting better at the game (you don't have to be a comp level player - you simply need to be better than straight cannon fodder to become "just a guy"), you would have a better overall experience.

When you stay ignorant, clueless, and dumb, and not try to learn how to maximize your participation in FW, you're only going to conclude one thing... it's too damn hard. Well duh. You didn't want to learn how good dropdecks give you a chance at success, but hey, you can run that Mist Lynx or Vindicator and see how much "fun" you'll be having... being target practice.

I stopped trying to care, but let's be honest... PGI took little to no effort on learning the deficiencies of CW, and catered to the people that are LESS that dedicated to playing the mode to find what ails it.

I mean... PGI is doing what "quack doctors" did back in the day, where "medicine" was issued and didn't solve a lick. But hey, have a mech pack.

Edited by Deathlike, 21 May 2016 - 06:12 AM.

#39 Zuesacoatl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 614 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:39 AM

Another fix to add to the list is limit unit size. If you break up the mega units, you will have more people for the larger units to go against. I do not want to hear, "We want to play with friends" because MS is the perfect example, it is just a bunch of people who got together to seal club with the best of them. The more units we can have, the more units we can face, it is simple math. If you have 3 mega units, you only have 3 main battle areas, and if they refuse to face each other in hopes of easy seal clubbing instead, you lost even more attack areas. If you break said mega units up even in half, now you have 6 main battle areas, but you can not fix the fact they refuse to fight each other, and look for the seals to club. PGI can't fix the fact that the bigger units in the game wont face one another, so in all honesty, until the units fix that themselves, PGI has very little they can fix.

#40 Kuritaclan

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:41 AM

The problem isn't units - it's how many people are not in units but want the same rewards for less effort.

Get off of this horse. Units bind likeminded people - or at least thats their purpose. Units don't need an extra. They have in itself an advantage and get a extra no matter what. A unitplayer has a better c-bill reward, since his team is more likely to win anyway.

So why does unitplayers need more rewards additionally or on top of other players - why is a seperation on top a good thing?

I played over 250+ games in fw since leader board introduction. I didn't get a penny MC for it, because i'm not in a unit. So what. Do i blame around for this.

No. Write it in your book, I put at least the same effort into fw as a unit player, if not more. Units are a nice to have, if you need them. If not, it shouldn't be a setback. End of story.

View PostZuesacoatl, on 21 May 2016 - 06:39 AM, said:

Another fix to add to the list is limit unit size. If you break up the mega units, you will have more people for the larger units to go against. I do not want to hear, "We want to play with friends" because MS is the perfect example, it is just a bunch of people who got together to seal club with the best of them. The more units we can have, the more units we can face, it is simple math. If you have 3 mega units, you only have 3 main battle areas, and if they refuse to face each other in hopes of easy seal clubbing instead, you lost even more attack areas. If you break said mega units up even in half, now you have 6 main battle areas, but you can not fix the fact they refuse to fight each other, and look for the seals to club. PGI can't fix the fact that the bigger units in the game wont face one another, so in all honesty, until the units fix that themselves, PGI has very little they can fix.

It doesn't matter if 500 peps are orgenized in one unit or in five. If they vote for a certain faction all change it. Breaking up big units doesn't solve anything.

Edited by Kuritaclan, 21 May 2016 - 06:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users