• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:55 PM

View PostTercieI, on 20 May 2016 - 06:42 PM, said:

That's the part that bothers you?

(I don't disagree fundamentally but it's a comparatively minor issue IMO)

I thought it was a valid concern in competitive play, and that at dark times you have to have dark sense of humor. Obviously I was not entirely serious when suggesting to double the amount of matches.

EDIT: Jokes don't get better when you explain them, but I did actually say that it was unreasonable not to do double round robin.

Edited by MaxFool, 20 May 2016 - 07:09 PM.

#22 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:04 PM

View PostMaxFool, on 20 May 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

I thought it was a valid concern in competitive play, and that at dark times you have to have dark sense of humor. Obviously I was not entirely serious when suggesting to double the amount of matches.

Fair enough, sorry. My grouch meter is set to high right now.

#23 PoorDecisions

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 124 posts
  • LocationOregon, USA

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:15 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 20 May 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

5 pm pacific games ensure anyone on the west coast with a full time job is going to miss out.

First post truth bombs up in here.

Unbelievable that PGI apparently either completely disregards the experience that their community leaders (players) have in running tournaments for years or they simply don't bother talking to them in the first place.

#24 Shakespeare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 429 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL USA

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:28 PM

View PostPoorDecisions, on 20 May 2016 - 07:15 PM, said:

First post truth bombs up in here.

Unbelievable that PGI apparently either completely disregards the experience that their community leaders (players) have in running tournaments for years or they simply don't bother talking to them in the first place.

In fairness to our community leaders, none of them have run a tournament on this scale either. What works with 40 teams can get wildly unmanageable for 3 times that. There should have been consultations with industry professionals. This is not a new problem, even if MWO does have a few wrinkles.

#25 Bilson

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • 8 posts
  • LocationOn An Island

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:04 PM

There are so many better qualifying formats that could have been used, that were strongly suggested to be used. You don't have to have previous experience running a tournament this large to apply basic reasoning when planning it.

At this rate, breaking the big regions up into completely random brackets to allow flexible scheduling would be much fairer than the fixed schedules and high match count. And to be clear, randomly allocated brackets is a completely mediocre solution, but yet it's still much better, still much fairer than what was announced. Fixed schedules, posted after locking teams, with rescheduling limited by a massive round robin, would have to be the worst way they could come up with.

There is nothing fair, and there is no skill in a match determined by forfeiture because half your players are still at work.

Edited by Bilson, 20 May 2016 - 08:06 PM.

#26 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:11 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 20 May 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

As for Team Tags, I see in Dirk's post above, Tags can be 1-4 characters in length. I'll have the web team update that in the information release.

Thank you Paul. Much appreciated. Tag updated.

#27 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:36 PM

Posted Image

#28 Desintegrator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:38 PM

Well done !

Let the games begin !!

#29 Croaker Munin

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:38 PM

Are you kidding me? Right now the mwowc2016 is a huge f******* joke.

#30 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:17 AM

Seems like it would be a good idea to setup an interface where team captains can designate a time, and when both captains agree that will lock in as the new match time.
Would be up to captains to communicate and negotiate what works best.
If no agreement reached then it stays at the default time as published by PGI.

Some sort of sudden death qualifier or criteria would probably be a good idea to cut down the field to get rid of all the teams who just entered to be in it.
Perhaps something like submit screenshots of a 50/50 win/loss rate over 10 matches in a row with the full team in group queue and there is no point overcrowding the tournament roster with those games. Those teams can bump down into division 2 tournament which just awards spacebux and trinkets.
If you cant achieve that then the team is not a serious contender.

#31 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:15 AM

we still have to burn through 11K+ matches

No we haven't.
A team does not have to play against every other team, that is what pools and brackets are for. What if there were 500 registered teams? you would have made us play 500 games, one drop each night for one year and a half?

As it is now, this schedule is beyond stupid. Radical rework is required to make it work, or this tournament will be a 100.000$ farce and lose all legitimacy.

#32 MeatyBites

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:32 AM

If PGI would like some assistance with running the tournament. I can probably help you as I was one of the three admins that ran the BF2 World Tournament which had 320 teams across three regions and was all done and dusted in under three months.

#33 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:46 AM

... we still have to burn through 11K+ matches ...

If every registered team was playing every other registered team, there would be 153 * 152 / 2 = 11,628 matches in the round robin.

However, since we are divided by region, there are significantly less ...
... 20 * 19 / 2 = 190 for A/O, 51 * 50 / 2 = 1,275 for E/A, 82 * 81 / 2 = 3,321 for TA ... 190 + 1275 + 3311 = 4,786

Still, way too many matches to expect from the E/A and TA guys. I don't envy their scheduling. I predict that the winner will be the Top Tier team with the fewest DQs due to absences, not necessarily the best team, and that's kind of sad.

Note: for the record, I completely agree with the two-minute rule. If you're not ready for the match, you're not taking it seriously enough and wasting the other team's time (and the referee, and the caster, and the audience (if any) that showed up for the stream).

Edited by Kageru Ikazuchi, 21 May 2016 - 02:52 AM.

#34 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:55 AM

Sadly, members of my unit are saying "Phew, glad we didn't enter a team like you wanted us to."

More sadly, they may be right.

It's clear at this point that either qualifying rounds or pools are needed to reduce the overall number of matches to be played.

#35 SkavenDC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 155 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWith the Golden Foxes

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:05 AM

I just posted the same thing on my units forum.

I was on the fence when I thought it would be a handful of matches.

Super glad I decided not to participate.

#36 Hydrocarbon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • 659 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:34 AM

The most likely winners won't be the top team in skill, it will be 12 unemployed guys who live in their mom's basement. At least with this scheduling.

I can understand needing a timetable for your referees, but I also understand you're able to record all game data. You could easily have a few volunteer ref's (maybe toss them a few MC), then review the data if someone calls foul.

I think the biggest problem isn't as much the timetable as it is when we were notified. I'm certain many teams may have reconsidered their roster if they knew certain members could never make it, including mine. Now they're locked in with teammates that cannot fight.

#37 Coryphee

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 857 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:22 AM

Wow, matchs on saturdays, summer ?.... quite impossible for a lot of people I think...

#38 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:21 AM

STOP the whining.
whimsical wimps you are.
want the big dough but no effort?

ha ha ha.

on a serious sidenote:
i almost suffocated due to laughing when i saw what the na guys have to do to get da booty.
i feel pleased that i am a so bad player and feel no urge to be world champignon

Edited by ARP Haruna, 21 May 2016 - 09:22 AM.

#39 Paradox42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:27 AM

@PGI @Paul @Russ

How about you hire someone who actually knows how to run a tournament? I mean it is really not that hard. I would even do it for you, just because as a player and from a professional perspective (was responsible running sports leagues) I can't stand watching this anymore.

#40 Kalmoa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 164 posts
  • LocationLoire-Atlantique

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:46 AM

It's a joke, I'm sure it's a joke...
Family, work, real life mean nothing for you?

Edited by Kalmoa, 21 May 2016 - 12:11 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users