Real Matches As Fan Fic

Fanmade Semi Fiction

2 replies to this topic

#1 Moldycheese

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBehind you in an ECM Jenner. Bwahaha!

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:11 PM

I'm starting this topic for all you Mechwarrios who have the ability to record your gameplay.

I thought it would be cool to have a place where you can turn your real life matches into Fan Fic.
Since the battles actually happened it would be like stories told to each other by seasoned veterans of the Inner Sphere/Clan Conflict.

I won't be telling stories as I currently have no ability to record gameplay Posted Image

So all you Mechwarriors out there, record your gameplay, review it, and tell us a story of your hard fought battles! (Fan Fic style)

Edited by Moldycheese, 20 May 2016 - 03:15 PM.

#2 Samyblizs

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:46 AM

Huh, this seems pretty interesting. I've actually been writing a crossover of something like this for a while, where the characters lance-drop into matches and play through the game as it updates and changes. Here's the link if you're interested:

https://www.fanficti...hwarrior-Online

Hopefully your topic gets some interest, and don't sweat not being able to record your matches! Just get a memorable one in mind and start writing! You'll see a story evolve as long as you keep at it!

#3 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:23 AM

“Sh*t! Sh*t! Sh*t! No, no no…”

Two signatures on the seismic sensor were approaching the corner. I flipped through the engagement data. I wiped at a stinging bead of sweat as the data for armor statuses on the two was dumped into my consciousness from the neurohelmet. An 85-ton Stalker and 100-ton Atlas logged, never taken down. Now those signatures flashed nice and bright as the massive war machines pounded across the bridge toward the inside of the volcano. Suddenly, my own 65-ton Catapult seemed inadequate.

My cockpit sat atop the angular-oval carapace that resembled a helicopter with no rotors. On each side, this variant of the “Cat” had two huge cube-shaped boxes that housed the main weapon system: twin 15-racks of long range missiles. The entire chassis was propelled by two massive legs that resembled the digitigrade form of a hind dogleg. Three medium backup lasers peeked from under the cockpit.

I leaned forward to get a little better view out the left of my cockpit. The inside wall of the volcano’s throat was lined by a metal platform. I had backed my Cat up to the wall by the entryway so that as the enemy burst forth I could be ready to run past them and back out; leaving this geological deathtrap!

Those two could kill but could they catch? My machine might be smaller, but it was faster. If I could gain range, I could use my long range missiles. My ammo level indicator blinked orange. ’Low ammo’ is better than 'no ammo', I told myself.

“Taskforce Nine, this is Tyger. Any unit, respond.” Only faint white noise.

The enemy Assault Mechs would round the corner in a few seconds. My eyes flicked around the heads up display and various readouts. Fortunately, the neurohelmet not only controlled my 65-ton machine but also helped me sift through the battle info at the speed of thought.

The last known status on that Atlas was that the center of his Mech was…chewed up. If I could land a shot, I could probably kill him. That is, if his pilot didn’t get a lucky snap-shot in with that Defiance autocannon-20. Everyone knew the Defiance brand jingle; and that line of cannon wasn’t called a “Mech Hunter” for nothing.

The push to drive the occupying force out of this volcano fortress was more than a little costly. But we’d managed to hold it for a brief minute until they tried to push back in. We’d traded a few more casualties on both sides and now it was just me and them. The inner walls glowed from the lava below the platform.

”Retake the middle.” I’ve had about enough of this planet, I thought.

The team had ejected one by one as we took casualties assaulting the center of the volcano. Intel reported the location itself as a highly defensible vantage point for establishing a firebase. From there we could monitor this sector for aircraft, troop movements, field repairs. So, important to the brass; whatever. We soldiers keyed in on the line: “highly defensible”. We knew it was going to be painful.

My good friend Elias, aka Crazyhorse, and I had picked up some extra work in the system while our mercenary corps wrapped the back end of the current contract. We’d been fighting for this House Kurita front for the past two months and while our unit was repairing Mechs, haggling with Kurita for replacement munitions, payment and the like, we’d decided to head back out. For a few c-bills more, I thought.

Moments away now. I did a one last flick through the battle info and saw the Stalker was also looking vulnerable. It had much of its left leg armor sheared off and with a touch of luck, he also had some ammunition stashed in there that I could take a potshot at and blow.

The seismic sensor registered at the corner. At the same time, a massive metal fist started to come in to view. The funny thing is, when you spend so much time merged with your machine, you get used to “being” twenty meters tall and you begin to forget the real size of these humanoid vehicles. That fist was actually the size of my teenage car back home.

It was now or never.

When you move, the machine moves. Through the neurohelmet, the machine becomes an extension of you and its sensors become your senses. That’s what made these Battlemechs such a powerful weapon in the 31st Century; used for subjugation, freedom, war between the Great Houses, or even paychecks for mercenaries like us: Cameron’s Highlanders.

Regardless of this symbiosis, these behemoths moved like a ton of bricks. Veteran pilots have often retired and taken on a stigma from society for being “slow.” But you can’t blame them... There's a certain slow rhythm you follow during combat. The truth about these geezers is that the majority of their battles were spent analyzing information being piped directly into their brain via the neurohelmet; flicking through targets, checking maps, statuses on friends, foes. All in the few seconds it took to maneuver their mech to purposefully land incoming fire on their remaining armor before twisting back front to return fire.

At least if we’re slow we’ll be rich.

I moved out just as the Atlas breached the entryway.

He came in but was looking the left. The Stalker was on his flank and I aimed my Mech for the zone between them. The Stalker was a huge armless war machine that kind of looked like a blimp with legs. The only thing keeping it from being comical was its two squarish weapon pods and a long history of using them to end people. My hands vibrated as I steeled myself and focused on the mangled metal of his left leg. I had one shot or he’d have his.

My medium lasers flashed out at the Stalker, illuminating the walls green for a moment. The infamous skull-dome of the Atlas glowed eerily like a jack o'lantern under a yellow funnel cloud. The beams seared deep into the Stalker’s leg but I didn’t stick around to see what happened. I heard an explosion – which was enough for me – as I passed between the two hulks and headed for the bridge. The girders groaned as my Mech thundered across and began kicking up ashy dirt on the other side.

The Stalker and Atlas had both undoubtedly gotten turned around. They cruised around 50 kilometers per hour -- slow in the world of Mechs -- so I should have put enough ground between us to allow me to use my missiles. They arm in flight but only after they cross around 180 meters. Up ahead the ground dropped sharply into a valley with a lava flow running through it.

I launched the Cat into the air with half my jump jet fuel, using the other half to turn me in the air. Momentum carried me along a trajectory over the valley and at the apex I caught the Atlas in my targeting reticule. I feathered the jets to keep me hovering for just a moment more as my missiles locked-on. I heard the tone and launched. The missiles raced out like a cluster of stars followed by wispy smoke, slamming into the Atlas’ chest. He winked off the radar. Visually, I had the satisfaction of watching him fall as I began my own free fall upon cutting my jets. His wreck had almost hit the ground as I dropped out of view into the valley below. I tapped the jets again to pad my landing. Now that I was under cover, I cycled through my targeting info and saw my golden opportunity.

The Stalker was indeed crippled in that left leg. One nice thing about the Catapult is you can be running forward and nearly look behind you. I ran down the valley and turned to see the Stalker had limped up to the lip of the cliff. I took aim. At the tone, I launched a single volley at him. The enemy pilot reversed, and the missiles splashed the cliffside. The Stalker knew he couldn’t cross all this open ground without being rained to death by my missiles. Not that I had enough ammo to do that...or enough ammo to pull that threatening stunt again. But he didn’t know that. He backed out of view, awaiting his fate.

“-ome in. Task Force Nine, this is Command, any pilot read?” Through static I could hear the command channel coming alive with transmissions from the dropship.

“Command!” I calmed myself and tried again. “Command, this is Taskforce Nine. This is Tyger; we settled on a dropsite yet?”

“Nine, command. That’s a rog; check your nav and give us a once over of the site.”

I returned an affirmative. I saw the coordinates had indeed been uploaded and made my way to the site; a generally flat land surrounded by rocky spires. My radar indicated the 1700-ton Leopard class dropship was inbound with Task Force 7. I was also glad to see another indicator go off nearby: the ejection pod from my fellow Highlander, Crazyhorse.

“Crazy, Tyger. You read me? Site secure, boat’s coming in.”

It was silent for a moment.

“Crazy?”

“Yea...My f*ckin’ scotch spilled all over me.”

Real Story:
Was a fun clutch Assault match with 10 to 11 on Terra Therma. I killed the Atlas and legged the Stalker and bolted to cap the enemy base. I really did fire one LRM shot at the legged Stalker and he backed up to cover and never came out after me. And it really was my last volley of LRMs. Won by cap!

Edited by TygerLily, 10 December 2018 - 07:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users