Newbie Mech Advice

8 replies to this topic

#1 CptSwitters

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:27 AM

hello mwo community,
i started game few days ago and just finished my first 25 match. mostly played shadowcat and endup half of tier4 i tought i liked it untill i played crab.but crab is just so good at least it worked for me, thing i want to ask is can you recommend me medium or heavy mech like crab i mean the asymetrical ones. i feel like i could soak more dmg with crab then shadowcat, im looking for a mech that i cant put my weapons one side and armor one side.I saw few centurion videos but couldnt decide as a newbie which one is better or which one is worth as a first mech?
and i got only 20m do i need to buy all variants to be effective?

and also i came this game from eve online, after spaceships, battlemechs was kinda weird at first but its really fun now, and can someone explain me how does optimal range thing work on this game, im assuming dmg drops off same way beyond optimal but, under optimal range is there any draw back? in eve weapon tracking gets worse if enemy too close and you are less likely to hit.

and do i need to lock my arms all the time?

Edited by CptSwitters, 19 January 2017 - 08:32 AM.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:29 AM

Based on what you are asking for I sugest Marauder, Griffin and Hunchback, most varients of all 3 have the bulk of there firepower in the Left torso With energy hardpoints in the arms, and once you figure out deadsiding can take a lot of punishment before going down.

The Marauder has ballistic hardpoints in the LT on most variants and is one of the tankyest Mechs in MWO.

The Hunchback is the same tonnage as your crabs, most of its firepower is in the LT hunch on most varients, it has missiles and lasers, Balistics and lasers, missiles Balistics and lasers or just lasers depending on which variant, one of the missile varients does not even have a hunch.

The Griffin has missiles with lasers on most varients, it is a great brawler Mech, one varient can take ECM. Unlike MAD or HBK the GRF has huge arms which side on almost completely block the torsos

There are many other Mechs which would fit your criterior but those work best for me

#3 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:30 AM

Hello and welcome, for mechs i recommend snuggles yt guides. Just looked into them and you get all the info you need (as a newbie).
As for your questions:

I would recommend you stick 2-3 mechs which work on basic skill level. Reasoning is the upcoming skilltree system which will get rid of the need to force you to buy 3 variants purely for the elite skills.

Minimum range for weapons only affects CLAN-LRM (damage falloff from 180 to 0 meter) and Innersphere PPC (no damage below 90 meter)

And as for armlock, you can (and should) switch to your liking. If you want your armmounted and torsomounted weapons to shot focused use armlock (especially while moving) if you want faster torsotwist or shot something which your torsomounted weapons can not reach anyways simply disable armlock.
So get used to use both on situations.

these two are probably interesting for you:

#4 Grixa19

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:03 AM

Pick only IS mechs tho, cause Clan mechs are fast overheating and made of paper.
Dont look at their firepower, its a damage ull make to potatoes (if enemy mech would stand still). Clan lasers have long laser duration, and their Autocannons fires a few rounds in one shot (but those few rounds make same damage as their IS counterparts).
And all IS mechs have good quirks.

#5 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

View PostGrixa19, on 19 January 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

Pick only IS mechs tho, cause Clan mechs are fast overheating and made of paper.

Every mech can be good if you build it properly.

Centurions are asymmetric by default, Shadowhawks can make some good asymmetrical builds, a few Wolverine and Griffin variants too. Crab felt tanky because it is, those hitboxes let it take a lot of punishment.

Heavy mechs are where you'll find the strongest asymmetrical builds but I always recommend mediums to new players.

Edited by Roughneck45, 19 January 2017 - 02:02 PM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

Welcome to mwo. My time is short at the moment so will address armlock and optimal range.

In mwo optimal range is Battletech's accurate range (without difficulty - if Ac/20 makes no sense this is because Ac/20 is supposed to be a big MG firing 4 to 100 explosive shells in very short times depending on the brand name). Here it does full damage at optimal range. Damage drops linearly in most cases. At twice range in most cases damage is zero. Missiles self destruct beyond opt range. Battletech has minimum ranges for many weapons in which a penalty occurs for many reasons. In mwo the worse you get is sub optimal pinpoint impacts where weapon A from left arm and weapon B from right arm may hit two or more different enemy hitboxes instead of just one.

Sometimes if at close range against twin Ac/20 the only defense is to ram and blast or risk instant death if those land on your cockpit.

No. Armlock slows down torso twisting in exchange for precision aiming of all weapons in the same spot. With it off you have more range of movement, faster movement, and can even attack two targets at the same time.

Edited by Koniving, 20 January 2017 - 04:05 PM.

#7 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:12 AM

Addendum: The IS ppc, (Not the Extended Range Particle Projection Cannon, but the actually useful lowered heat one,) will do no damage within 90m, and IS Long Range Missiles will not arm within 180. Everything else has no minimum range.

~Leone.

#8 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:49 AM

View PostLeone, on 20 January 2017 - 03:12 AM, said:

Addendum: The IS ppc, (Not the Extended Range Particle Projection Cannon, but the actually useful lowered heat one,) will do no damage within 90m, and IS Long Range Missiles will not arm within 180. Everything else has no minimum range.

~Leone.

the 90 meter are reffering to the center of a mech, if your rangefinder tells you 91 meter on a mechs, but the ppc hits the actual front of a mech @ 85 something meter the ppc will still do damage.

#9 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:11 PM

Sweet! good to know.

~Leone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users