Kdk3: Please Just Get The Inevitable Nerf Out Of The Way With? **achieved! Thank You Whiners!*

1017 replies to this topic

#1001 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:15 AM

I'm not seeing any fewer Kodiaks in matches. And they seem just as tough and mobile as they ever did.

#1002 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:19 AM

View PostChados, on 20 July 2016 - 03:15 AM, said:

I'm not seeing any fewer Kodiaks in matches. And they seem just as tough and mobile as they ever did.
In fact they are tougher than before. So, KDK still OP cheese mech.

#1003 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:47 AM

Tonight I was usually the only KDK in the games I dropped in...on both sides. 1 KDK out of 24 players? Yeah, must still be OP hmm? Even allowing for the Viper release, I would expect more KDK's around. They're simply not being played as frequently as people expect. They are a good chassis, certainly - even post mobility nerf (+5 points of CT structure is virtually meaningless all told, but welcome none the less).

To be fair, the Dual UAC10 heat scale bug probably isn't helping matters, but even allowing for that, where are all the Hero Spiritbrawlers with their 110 points in 1 second (4xCSRM6A, CUAC20 dbl tap, 2xCERLL) or the versatile KDK-1's (6CSPL, CGauss, CLPL, 2xCLRM10A's) or the variant KDK-3 builds like ERPPC/CGauss, or dual CUAC20's with CLPL's?

They're good mechs, but they're not OP mechs, and they're not for everyone's play-style. If they were, we'd be seeing a lot more of them than is the reality right now.

#1004 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:09 AM

My drops still have 1-3 Kodiaks most of the time. :3

#1005 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:01 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 19 July 2016 - 07:19 AM, said:

The map won't make that much of a difference, even before the tourney, in 8v8 matches pushes were dominant, and the Kodiak can do that well with its 80 alpha and speed to keep up. The only time you might not see the Kodiak is on maps like Alpine or Polar where the ERLL Battlemaster might still win the day.

You may be right, just going off the WC matches I've played so far and in those the Kodiak haven't seemed like a good pick because of the wonky terrain favoring more speed and jumpjets. For example if you need to break a cap advantage and can't take the shortest route there because your Kodiak can't go over a ridge, or if you want to push hard against the enemy but they have moved down behind a wall you have to go around instead of over if you have a Kodiak. But it's also possible you can work more with static overwatch positioning and I just haven't seen the Kodiak used well on canyon yet.

Edited by Sjorpha, 20 July 2016 - 05:06 AM.

#1006 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:06 AM

51 page thread for the Pedobear balance. Wow.

#1007 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:57 AM

Clearly, the Kodiak needs to be nerfed until it's as common as a Victor!

#1008 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:53 AM

Dakkabears virtually vanished last night. Kodiaks did not.

Most meta types swapped to Gauss and ERPPC builds. The rest of the non-3's were the usual mixed bag, including an LRM Spirit Bear.

#1009 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:30 PM

I did see more LBX40 KDK-3s yesterday. Both 4LBX10 and 2LBX20.

#1010 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:51 PM

2x5, 2x10 uacs. It's all I ever ran.

Slightly less damage than 4x10s but you can run the 400xl in it for better handling.

I can tell a bit that it's nerfed, slower to stop and start and twist but it's still about as good as my BLR. Slightly inferior but not much.

#1011 Roughneck Cobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 462 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:53 PM

The heat issues now with the KDK3 for a twin 5 twin 10 UAC system is borked.

The heat spikes too high, used be able unload a few double taps before worrying on heat, tested it after patch and what a fracking disaster, Polar Highlands and Im redlining after two double taps.

PGI fracking things up as per USUAL.

#1012 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:35 AM

The issue was: Double tap was causing ghost heat on dual UAC10s. (and singe UAC20) But the ghost heat penalty in itself was low.

Fix: Increase GH penalty by a bit, make sure that ghost heat doesn't affect double tap.

PGI: Let's make the GH penalty 15 times what it was, because we have so much tears about the 4UAC10 KDK.

Atleast Paul picked up on the dual UAC10 and single UAC20 double tap causing ghost heat, since he said it's getting fixed with today's hotfix.

#1013 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:20 AM

So glad they saw sense and nerfed the KDK3.

Someone bought me one a while back, after numerous arguments about how it was too strong compared to other mechs. Just so i could apparently see how OP it isn't. This idea failed, as my first 5 matches i had 3 kills and 500 dmg at least, every match except one. I didn't even have basic proficiencies, and i was running UAC's, 2 x 5's and 2 x 10's.

The thing was an absolute monster, cannot believe people were trying to give it legitmacy.

It was fun, that is no doubt, but as Mischief said, fun isn't balance.

#1014 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:48 PM

Oh ya, was that me? :-)

#1015 DeathlyEyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • 940 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMetaphorical Island somewhere in the Pacific

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:49 PM

The mech wouldn't need as bad as a nerf if PGI would start taking hard point placement balance into account when designing a mech model. Putting such high balistic mounts on anything is just asking for trouble.

#1016 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:59 PM

I don't even think this nerf is an issue for 4x CUAC10. I don't own a pedobear, but I plugged up my direwhale with CUAC10s and was just firing with 2 groups of 2 and I was able to fire non-stop for the most part. Other pedobear-3s I saw were chain firing the whole set and doing alphas when they had a kill shot opportunity.

#1017 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 02:03 PM

View PostElizander, on 22 July 2016 - 01:59 PM, said:

I don't even think this nerf is an issue for 4x CUAC10. I don't own a pedobear, but I plugged up my direwhale with CUAC10s and was just firing with 2 groups of 2 and I was able to fire non-stop for the most part. Other pedobear-3s I saw were chain firing the whole set and doing alphas when they had a kill shot opportunity.

Impossible. The only way to use quad UAC/10 is alpha'ing. No exceptions.

#1018 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 16 October 2016 - 01:51 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 May 2016 - 11:53 AM, said:

Actually I wish they'd just cave in and do exactly what the forums ask. Then when the game ends up a million times worse than now, I can laugh at them.

Sounds like "Atlas Shrugged" to me. That said, you do have a point. If PGI went and completely destroyed the game all at once (as opposed to the current gradual drip drip drip), then they would be pretty much forced to sell it to someone else. With any luck, it would be someone that actually cares about the lore and do the game the justice it so rightly deserves (as opposed to someone who is all about the money).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users