Anyone Else Having Trouble Playing Other Shooters After Mwo?

48 replies to this topic

#1 Kaeb Odellas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:40 PM

Playing Overwatch has made me realize how stupidly easy we have it when it comes to hitting targets. I can core out targets and break kneecaps reasonably well in MWO, but I can't hit a goddamn thing in Overwatch. I think years of shooting at big, easy targets has dulled my shooting skills. Even slow Heroes are harder to hit than our fastest light mechs. It's maddening. I find I have to resort to melee, grenade spam, or support characters because I'm an absolute liability with anything that requires any kind of twitch shooting skills.

Anyone else having this issue? Or am I just getting old?

#2 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:52 PM

Hmm. Not sure. I don't play MWO because it's free to play, or because it's multiplayer. I begrudgingly play it because it's the only thing set in the Battletech universe that's been made in over a decade by either real game studios or fan groups that made some sort of attempt at continuity between missions. For whatever reason, nearly nobody is ever willing to touch anything Single Player with a ten foot pole - not studios or fan communities.

I got turned off of multiplayer stuff decades ago. I like immersion in my games, and multiplayer never provides. I just kind of grit my teeth and bear this until HBS's title comes out, and then my hanging around here becomes considerably more limited.

#3 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 24 May 2016 - 11:59 PM

View Postice trey, on 24 May 2016 - 11:52 PM, said:

Hmm. Not sure. I don't play MWO because it's free to play, or because it's multiplayer. I begrudgingly play it because it's the only thing set in the Battletech universe that's been made in over a decade by either real game studios or fan groups that made some sort of attempt at continuity between missions. For whatever reason, nearly nobody is ever willing to touch anything Single Player with a ten foot pole - not studios or fan communities.

I got turned off of multiplayer stuff decades ago. I like immersion in my games, and multiplayer never provides. I just kind of grit my teeth and bear this until HBS's title comes out, and then my hanging around here becomes considerably more limited.

I know how you feel mate.

Just found out about this. It might be more up your alley. (if you don't know already). Will be downloading and playing the new campaign just as soon as I get home.

#4 Darky101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 219 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:04 AM

Play some Quake3 on nightmare!
Its the best shooting training out there, once you learn proper strafe jumping you will find every other game a slowmotion rewind.

Edited by Darky101, 25 May 2016 - 12:05 AM.

#5 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:08 AM

TBQH, the hit-boxes in Overwatch are frickin' massive, especially the head. I watched my character get shot square in the chest and, blamo, it was a head-shot.

Couple that with the fact that Overwatch has two things that should never be legal in any shooter, wall-hacks (Widowmaker) and aimbot (Soldier 76), and it feels harder than it otherwise would.

#6 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:56 AM

Its just practice.. MWO is almost unique among shooters in that it pays far more to take your time aiming and be methodical and precise than it does to twitch fast - because that fast twitch isnt going to kill the enemy anyway in this game, whereas in most FPS games if you can twitch fast with a powerful gun (sniper rifle, rocket launcher, whatever) you can oneshot your enemy and not get hurt. That means being good at MWO means getting used to MUCH lower mouse sensitivity than is ideal for other FPS games.

I tried playing unreal tounament recently and was sodding terrible at it, and i used to be pretty good.

Funny how everyone claims MWO is a twitch game, while playing it actually ruins your twitch skills...

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 25 May 2016 - 01:57 AM.

#7 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:36 AM

How old are you Kaeb?

I'm almost fifty and my reflexes have definitely slowed down, which makes playing the 'thinking' shooters like MWO such a blessing.

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:41 AM

My ping is a huge issue in twitch shooters such as Overwatch. I played in Open beta and the only server it had was in NA, which did not agree with my connection. I did have fun with Junkrat and Symmetra. Little need to aim well with those two. :P

#9 Iron Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMy private booth in the Restaurant At The End Of The Universe

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:17 AM

I've paid Blizzard enough to beta test there products over the years so I won't be overwatch(ing).
That being said, I have been playing DooM and other than control key differences I'm really not having issues with aim.
Then again, I am in my 50's and have long since learned to compensate for loss of reflex / reaction time due to age.. ������

Edited by Iron Heel, 25 May 2016 - 03:18 AM.

#10 LegendaryArticuno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 664 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:34 AM

Play Reaper, very similar to a brawler.

#11 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:48 AM

I found MWO play very slow, i to am over 50.
People go on about situational awarenes, when you know the maps the holdpoints ect, game only speeds up a bit when there is a brawl and it involves in reality only a handful of oponents.
I enjoy Warthunder, 24 people in an area with highly maneuverable fast planes, situations change by the second, your target evading like mad in all dimensions while you try to avoid those canon shell you see flickering behind you.
MW should be slower paced but it also should be the thinking mans game but the maps//objectives really really lack for that type of game..

Edited by N0MAD, 25 May 2016 - 03:49 AM.

#12 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:21 AM

Yes, i think so too. But the more often i play other shooter again it starts to "feel" the same again. Hitting an enemy in MWO has never been really challenging.

#13 Kasumi Sumika

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:27 AM

Thankfully my reflex is still sharp after playing hours of MW:O. Tried when free Open Beta and I'm doing good I think.

My main is Genji. I am able to outflank enemies and able to use right skill at right time. I feel like playing Warframe due his agility and flexibility.

Playing Mercy is like playing Medic in Team Fortress 2. You heal / buff your teammates health and always bunny-hopping and strafing dodging enemy attack.

I think playing D.Va is like playing Assault in MW:O. Because her Mech is Tanky. And She can summon new Mech if it's destroyed and after "Nerf This!" Ultimate. She's like have 2 lives and I love her. My second main hero.

#14 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:33 AM

I still enjoy playing Planetside 2, but I can't stand twitch games like Team Fortress or Counterstrike any more. Probably just party of getting old!

#15 Seraphim007

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:15 AM

Pure light mech user here.

I actually enjoy the play tempo on MWO versus things like MW and halo.

When I started I used to do the whole twitch/shoot/twitch/evade/shoot thing in a lot of close range brawls. I found myself effective but I ended up getting killed a lot by heavier mechs, the tactics that worked elsewhere didn't work here.

Instead I stay back and guard the heavies, then when a target presents itself I picked my angle of attack, picked my target component, picked my escape route and assessed enemy mechs and reaction time.

The difference in effectiveness has been immense, and I for one enjoy the strategic elements of mwo versus the pure reaction time of other games.

#16 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:22 AM

Nope. But I never stopped playing TF2 and other shooters in addition to mwo.

Also... try D.Va In her mecha she's less dependant on twitch reflexes than other characters. Granted if you suck at thinking in 3 dimensions (people normally keep 3 dimmensional images of all the maps in their head right? right?) you'll end up being worse than the other tanks.

Edited by Narcissistic Martyr, 25 May 2016 - 06:56 AM.

#17 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:41 AM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 24 May 2016 - 11:40 PM, said:

Playing Overwatch has made me realize how stupidly easy we have it when it comes to hitting targets. I can core out targets and break kneecaps reasonably well in MWO, but I can't hit a goddamn thing in Overwatch. I think years of shooting at big, easy targets has dulled my shooting skills. Even slow Heroes are harder to hit than our fastest light mechs. It's maddening. I find I have to resort to melee, grenade spam, or support characters because I'm an absolute liability with anything that requires any kind of twitch shooting skills.

Anyone else having this issue? Or am I just getting old?

Possibly a combination of skill at a certain gamestyle and getting old,...

Le me:
  • completely suck at Tom Clancy's Ghost something shooter,
  • mediocre at tank games like Modern Warfare and Warthunder
  • quite decent in MWO
  • feel like an overpowered uberplayer in Dreadnought
From this I can only surmise that I completely suck at split second aiming and triggering but start to outclass others as the pace of the game slows down. In the first on the list, It often feels like peeps are cheating like crazy, they shoot me before I even have a clue where they are, the shoot first on close encounters etc etc. Guess I'm just losing sight and reaction speed,... ^^

Edited by PyckenZot, 25 May 2016 - 05:43 AM.

#18 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:00 AM

Took a break from MWO, played the new DOOM. After a level or two in I found my groove and was kicking arse. I don't mean to brag but I'm pretty good at pretty much every game I play. Except LoL, because it's not fun and I don't give two shits about MOBAs

#19 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:00 AM

Not really. I can't stand mindless, generic twitch shooters like Overwatch.

I have fairly quick reaction speed, so twitch shooting isn't hard for me (on PC anyway...I suck at console shooters)....it's just boring.

I find the slower-paced, tactical aspects of MWO to be far more challenging, as positioning, map knowledge and teamwork are far more important in this game than most shooters.

#20 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:04 AM

This is why I still play Brutal Doom.

Edited by Mister Blastman, 25 May 2016 - 06:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users