7 replies to this topic

#1 Rejarial Galatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:09 PM

I am beyond confused by the majority of players. I continuously see players forsake the objectives in quick play. Does not matter if its Assault or Conquest or sadly even if its Domination, players consistently ignore getting the objectives in favor of kills.

I keep asking people why they keep doing this, and the response is the same: "It is better xp and cbills to kill them all."

I am sorry, but this is a fallacy. Sure, for a SINGLE MATCH this is true, I cant deny that, BUT, over time, its LESS XP and CBills earned if you just kill the enemy and fail the objective of the match, be that Base Capture or Resource Capture or even standing in a silly green circle for 60 seconds.

I have played online games since the days of AOL sending you those silly little disks, so, thats what, 20 years or so of online gaming. The majority of my time gaming has been spent playing Final Fantasy XI, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Trek Online, World of Warcraft <since vanilla only quitting after cataclysm came out>, Guild Wars and Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn/Heavensward.

And one thing holds true to ALL of these games: Getting objectives completed or dungeons done swiftly killing only what is mandatory to move to the next objective or boss <which ever way you wanna coin the phrase> and then getting your next group as fast as possible to do it all over again. The one thing you NEVER do in dungeons in MMO's is something called a full clear <unless you are bored as hell and your team is on the edge of a level up during THAT SINGLE RUN>. It takes longer and in the long run, thats less time spent in faster moving groups getting more cash and more xp at a higher rate of speed.

This SAME logic holds true here. Hit Quick Play, get group, drop into the fight, clear the objectives as swiftly as humanly possible, get out, do it again over and over and over. Staying around and only killing the 12 enemy mechs is SLOWER far more often than it isnt. The only time the "kill em all" mentality does NOT cost you time and then xp and cbills is if you drop with a FULL 12 man premade and are highly coordinated in a way that burns mechs down faster than a cap would be, which is rare.

The bottom line is, do yourself and your team a favor, push the objective, get that capture as swiftly as you can and rinse and repeat and reap your higher XP/Cbill rewards. The most important part of this is: you MUST look beyond the single match and track your progress over time, its not how much you get in a single match, but how much you can crank out in say a 2 hour window. Full kills over 2 hours = less than speed runs of objective based play only.

I only have 20+ years of experience telling me I am absolutely 100% right about this.

#2 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:24 PM

You, my friend, need to get in on some Community Warfare. Well, I mean, when the queues are good. Seems like you might have the right attitude for it.

~Leone.

#3 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:40 PM

I would, if not for the fact that its a huge wait and lately ive come on and seen NO ONE in the queues available to clan wolf. The idea is to make xp and cbills in a swift manner not make it take even LONGER.

#4 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:55 PM

I fail to see why this is such a hard thing to grasp. faster fights = more xp and more cbills over time. period. I know your problem people, its an inability to think beyond the micro and into the macro. Guess you people love wasting your time and efforts. BUT, a little story for you that proves my point that faster matches are better.

I play an MMO called Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn, I play a class called Dark Knight, I am what is called a tank. Some of you are familiar with this term, some are not. I am for those not in the know, a meat shield. I take damage so my team does not have to. I am good at my job in FFXIV, very good. Only time I lose team mates or healers is when either my internet goes down or they do something catastrophically stupid. BUT, more to the point, when I run end game dungeons, I do so with a single intent. That is to help the team get as much gil <our in game currency, think CBills if that helps> as swiftly as possible. I do this by taking the shortest possible path to each Boss that I possibly can, making sure to pull everything to certain points so the DPS can burn them down whilst I hold the enemies attention. Then, take the boss and move on ultimately getting to the final boss as fast as we possibly can. I make roughly 3k to 15k in gil per run, over the time span of about 3 hours I can end up with 18000 on small dungeon sets to north of 90000 in gil alone, NOT counting loot. Factor in loot, I can end a 3 hour session of tanking <this is an avg of 2 30 minute runs <<slow runs>> per hour mind you> with maybe 2,000,000 gil total. IF I get a few sets of bad assed high end dps, I can easily TRIPLE or QUADRUPLE those numbers in the same time.

Apply the same speed here, finishing assault lets say in 4-5 minutes with captures alone, you could end up with 3-4 MILLION in cbills alone in a few hours if not more. BUT, until this mindset of NOT looking at the larger long term fixes itself and you start to do this, you are not working at your full potential which is sad. BUT, thats YOUR problem if you cant look beyond the micro.

#5 4ries

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 79 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:08 AM

Yes, you are correct in that assumption dear sir.

I have just played a quickplay with a ******* derp fuckteam... It was conquest on Grim Plexus.
By the time that we reached the middle (point theta) the enemy had already taken THREE points while my own derp ******* fuckteam only had ONE point... Almost nobody was doing any effort in taking points.
There were only TWO players with that intent. Myself and that other player that captured that one point we had.
I looked at the battlegrid and noticed that noone was even going to sigma, so while that derp ******* fuckteam was ******* around the ******* middle point I decided I would go and cap sigma.
But hell no, as soon as I left cover I had 2 or 3 enemy mechs lurming me to death or atleast trying to and I also had an oxide on my goddamn ***... Suffice to say I died without glory...
The moment I died I just quit the ******* game. I had some bad games before but this one takes the cake so far.
I also wonder what disease they must have to play like that... I hope I never catch on to that disease...! My simple brain tells me its uncurable.(incurable? I am not english...).

#Puglifeforever?
#Forgetplayingasyoushould

Maybe I should start making video's about such games... Hell yea, seems fun!

#6 BGrey

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:03 PM

Maybe, just maybe, people play the game because its fun. Not because they are chasing the carrot and stick that is xp and cbills...

#7 Karl the Plumber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:35 PM

View PostLeone, on 31 May 2016 - 04:24 PM, said:

You, my friend, need to get in on some Community Warfare. Well, I mean, when the queues are good. Seems like you might have the right attitude for it.

~Leone.

nailed it

seriously man, come play FP with us. we need the company these days.

#8 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:38 PM

You do realize this is a GAME with the sole purpose of wasting time while having a good time (hopefully) of doing it right?

The reason you see almost all matches spiral into an attrition match is that is how it gets won about 90% of the time.
first off it is a pug group and almost never any coordination.
second the couple people that like to do the objectives usually get pummeled to death quickly when they try to the objective such as a cap. This in turn reinforces the idea to pug players that doing the objective isn't worthwhile for personal gain even if the team wins. The get minimal cbills/exp due to dying early in the match.
third, once the opposing team has lost a few mechs they are at a serious disadvantage of winning since they are now facing multiple 2v1 or even 3v1 matchups.
fourth most maps aren't large enough that a team can't forgo objectives long enough to demolish 1/2 to 3/4 of the enemy and still capture the objectives needed to prevent an opposing team win.

lastly it is a pug and you are asking for coordination and teamwork. you would be better off in a group/unit drop.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users