4 replies to this topic

#1 Archangel27

• Pip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:21 PM

Hope I put this in the right place.

I was bored over the past week and, having nothing else to do, decided to create a basic combat doctrine for both CW and random battles. This will not only help build a combat practicum, but also a doctrine for the campaign focus as well. I do not claim to be an expert in military tactics, but I am willing (and bored) enough to start a discussion with more sound tacticians.

I am aware that much of the Art of War deals with morale, fear, and logistics, but still holds many useful bits if we look deeply enough.

Originally posted on my Unit's (The Praetorian Legion) Forum.

Posted Image

XI. THE NINE SITUATIONS

The art of war recognises nine varieties of ground: 1 Dispersive ground; 2 facile ground; 3 contentious ground; 4 open ground; 5 ground of intersecting highways; 6 serious ground; 7 difficult ground; 8 hemmed-in ground; 9 desperate ground.

1: Dispersive Ground

Posted Image

When a chieftain is fighting in his own territory, it is dispersive ground.

On dispersive ground, therefore, fight not.

As is stated, dispersive ground is when a company/lance is on the defensive, and when one is on the defensive, do not fight. With my understanding, fighting while on the defensive does not always mean that you are defending a position, rather it is when a force is being driven back. An example would be a defending Company defeating a wave of invaders, then pushing out of the gates to fight nearer to the invading spawn. Here, the defending force has all of the advantages. They decide when, where, and how to fight. Therefore, it is good for the invading force to avoid conflict until they can regain a foothold and the advantage.

We (the Legion) had such a case against the 228th some time ago. They had pushed us hard and were driving us back to our spawn. We waited for them to attack. They chose when, where, and who to fight. We lost.

However, using the doctrine above, we should not have hunkered down and waited for them to attack. Instead we should have disengaged, partly or fully, and move away from the enemy force. This would remove some of their advantages, and given us some.

Overall, this situation would be left to the drop commander to fully decide, but the doctrine would best be remembered.

2: Facile Ground

Posted Image

When he has penetrated into hostile territory, but to no great distance, it is facile ground.

On facile ground, halt not.

This one's fairly straightforward and simple, and mostly relevant to the Invasion type. HALT NOT! When your company has advanced towards an enemy position, don't stop to fire at 'mechs or to beat little turrets into submission. Yes, do take pot shots and focus lance/company fire on 'mechs, but don't bother stopping to destroy them.

This is especially urgent in the early minutes of a match, where every second counts. Typically, the strongest mechs will be used in the first wave, and it is from the success of your first wave that you may determine further courses of action. If your first push was successful and generators were heavily damaged/destroyed, then you may chose to devote subsequent waves to destroying enemies. But if it was not successful in doing so, then you must again push and HALT NOT. This may be the defining factor of a victorious force over a failing one.

3: Contentious Ground

Posted Image

Ground the possession of which imports great advantage to either side, is contentious ground.

On contentious ground, attack not.

Now this one I don't have many words for, as we're gigantic walking killing machines. Basically, if both companies engage each other in open combat, with lots of large rocks, trees, buildings, Atlases; or over-arching cliff faces to protect from LRMs. Most fights in this territory would leave both sides bloodied and battered in any case. Attack not comes from the fact that the defending force already has set advantages over an attacking one. However this advantage can be removed, if the defending party was flanked, so it is somewhat left to the discretion of the Commander to decide a course of action.

4: Open Ground

Posted Image

Ground on which each side has liberty of movement is open ground.

On open ground, do not try to block the enemy's way.

Again, fairly simple, although it applies most to a defensive mission. Instead of forming a firing line (in the enemy's path) during an enemy push, which, while a decent enough tactic, results in fairly large casualties. When we faced the 228th, they made great use of the 4th ground, making a firing line on the left of the gate. They had wide lanes of fire and a lot of open ground to hit us on. We didn't do much damage to them as we mostly were going the other way, but we were demolished.

Usage of this doctrine will lead to firing lines on either side of an enemy rout, where all 'mechs can get the most shots off without endangering themselves.

5: Ground of Intersecting Highways

Posted Image

Ground which forms the key to three contiguous states, so that he who occupies it first has most of the Empire at his command, is ground of intersecting highways.

On ground of intersecting highways, join hands with your allies.

Sadly, not much use for this in MWO currently. Perhaps if they had prolonged engagements, where multiple companies duke it out for a while, in a manner similar to Planetside (unlikely, but one can dream) this would be really useful, but not now.

At best I would put this to use in CW. Don't just coordinate attacks and defenses with your own faction, but join with others of the IS or Clans to achieve a more sure victory on a planet.

6: Serious Ground

Posted Image

When an army has penetrated into the heart of a hostile country, leaving a number of fortified cities in its rear, it is serious ground.

On serious ground, gather in plunder.

Again, this situation, and it's solution, are of little to no use in MWO. Moving on.

7: Difficult Ground

Posted Image

Mountain forests, rugged steeps, marshes and fens—all country that is hard to traverse: this is difficult ground.

In difficult ground, keep steadily on the march.

While still somewhat relevant, much of the ancient problems of warfare don't really matter to us. We're in big killing machines after all, mud is no obstacle in this game. It was in previous installments, water would slow you down, climbing hills would slow you, and stop you if steep enough.

Best I can say for this is for commanders to avoid trying to advance on enemies in superior positions, such as hills, as they would be required to either toil their way over bugged terrain or find a way around. Really all I have to say about that.

8: Hemmed-in Ground

Posted Image

Ground which is reached through narrow gorges, and from which we can only retire by tortuous paths, so that a small number of the enemy would suffice to crush a large body of our men: this is hemmed-in ground.

On hemmed-in ground, resort to stratagem.

In such a position, some scheme must be devised which will suit the circumstances, and if we can succeed in deluding the enemy, the peril may be escaped.

Tzŭ's advice here is rather vague, but I'll try and interpret what I can from this. Some may do better.

As is said, it varies with every circumstance, and every drop commander may see the situation differently than another. When cornered, with no hope of maneuver or reinforcement, I think a mech company is rather screwed, unless it has some lights with JJs that can escape the area and try to lead enemies away.

9: Desperate Ground

Posted Image

Ground on which we can only be saved from destruction by fighting without delay, is desperate ground.

On desperate ground, fight.

If you are defending the orbital gun with only a short while left on the clock, or vice versa, don't be too cautious. If you die you lose, if you do nothing you lose. Best to fight and die with the possibility of success than to wait in safety with no chance of victory.

It's over, finally. Feel free to discuss, criticize, and more.

All images are credited to SpOoKy777, an amazing artist and he does a lot of battletech stuff among other things.

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:03 AM

Morale and logistics and even fear still play a part of this game. I've seen some decent pugs pull together and give twelve mans a decent fight by tamping down their fear, but not everyone knows to do so. I've also seen half a twelveman turn an engage a single light in their backfield, wholly out of proportion to the threat, and leaving their front line outgunned.

As for logistics, well, I general, you should probably attack in waves, but there are times when you'll want a quick reinforcement, usually so someone can drop in a light hunter, but I've seen other uses, such as overwhelming a solid defense to clear omega.'

As for some of the less covered situations.

View PostArchangel27, on 01 June 2016 - 06:21 PM, said:

5: Ground of Intersecting Highways

Ground where multiple path's meet? Such as a choke point? I believe this, here refers to guarding the choke points as a team. A good choke point ambush is a surefire way to gain an edge in the match.

6: Serious Ground

Serious ground, in the heart of the enemy? As in, within the base? I beleive this means if given a respite by the enemy, take turrets and gens. Clear out everything of value on invasion should the enemy give you leeway to do so.

7: Difficult Ground

I think one can use this in areas of close quarters combat, and broken terrain, where the push can get bogged down into poking battles. The idea being, don't get bogged down, it let's the enemy out maneuver you. Think Invading Grim Portico, pushing on the left. Easy enough to stop and try holding ground, but if you press on through you can flank around an catch the defenders in a cross fire. If you do stop, the enemy can flank around. Either way, manouver so your only fighting on one or two sides, never get surrounded enough to worry about your back.

And in alotta broken terrain, that means stay mobile.

8: Hemmed-in Ground

Gate crashing a solid defensive set up is tough. Don't let your enemy set up. If at all possible, rush the gates before the other team can get a solid firing gauntlet.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 02 June 2016 - 03:15 AM.

#3 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:40 AM

Pretty cool! :)

#4 Grinster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 101 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:58 AM

In the context of Conquest and Assault Modes; when in Serious Ground seize opportunities to cap bases, but do not tarry.

#5 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,997 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:58 AM

I like my translation's rendering of the last situation: "In death ground, fight."

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users