22 replies to this topic

#1 FalconerGray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:22 AM

Mechwarrior of the Future

It's hard work, being a longtime Mechwarrior fan. I've been captivated by the series and it's universe for 20 years now but through numerous generations, I've always been left wanting for more. And I'm sure there are others around who have invested even more time than I have who are feeling the same! The Battletech universe is one full of great stories, intrigue and diversity, make it one of the best settings for a video game, with the potential for much, much more than we have ever received. For various reasons, I don't feel like there is any one title out there that has successfully captured the rich magic of Battletech, so I've decided to pool together the thoughts and dreams I've been sitting on for these 20 long years in the hope of finding the Mechwarrior of the Future.

A few things to get out of the way first – this is about discussion and conversation. I'm not a designer of games, nor an absolute authority on all things Battletech, so there will undoubtedly be ideas or suggestions made in this post that might have better alternatives - or they could just be bad ideas full stop – but that's ok. I won't say that my way is how it has to be, or try to stamp out any form of alternative viewpoint, I love the series and hopefully you do too, so lets see what the future may look like.

This is going to be a long one so I've decided to split it into two main sections – one that focuses on the various components of mech combat, such as piloting, weapons system and the battlemechs themselves, with the second section being dedicated to the depth of the game itself, the universe, the game modes / game types and how to create a long lasting, refreshing and rewarding experience.

I'm completely expecting there to be some (perhaps even many) parts of my concept that some people may not respond well to, so the purpose of breaking everything into sections is so that each point can be taken on it's own merit. If you don't like or agree with one section, I understand completely, but please take the time to read on and see if there is anything else that you might appreciate.

1.0 – The BattleMech, Piloting and Combat

We've made great progress through the many different titles in the MW series, but one area that I feel as stagnated somewhat is the simulation element. A mech is an extremely complex creation, with the many different systems that come together in creating it's combat effectiveness, as well as the actual physical nature of the mech all being extremely important in regards to the overall character of the battlemech when compared to other vehicles. I feel like a major objective of any future MW title should be the delivery of an authentic simulation, allowing the player to at last enjoy the awesome experience that is piloting a mech. I expect this means the gameplay will be different, effective piloting will likely become more difficult, although it is important not to focus on difficulty for difficulties sake. The best paralell to draw is the differences between 'games' and 'sims' that we might find in the flight or racing genres.

1.1 – Building the mech, eliminating RNGeezus, discovering death
  • Complete modelling of every mech component, inside and outweighing
  • Simulation-esque direction over 'arcade' stylings
  • Each component having the ability to be damaged or destroyed
  • Damage of each component resulting in the loss of capabilities provided by that part
Spoiler

1.2 – Piloting, battlemech operation and the sensitive topic of TTK

• Balance, terrain awareness and the effect of adverse conditions
  • Modelling footsteps and travel against the terrain
  • Systems awareness and variable sensors
  • Slowing down the gameplay thus increasing TTK
Spoiler

1.3 – Weapons, heat and other related systems – looking to the novels for guidance
  • Aiming - movement, weapon position and recoil
  • A new mechanic – individual weapon heat
  • AMS – a more effective counter, but no longer automatic
  • Jump Jets – the difference between plotted and instant jumps
Spoiler

1.4 – Mech design and melee
  • Changing aesthetic differences into functional differences
  • Chicken walkers vs humanoids and different capabilities between the two
  • Arms, hands, mounts, making a genuine tradeoff
  • Mechs that should and should not be using melee
Spoiler

1.5 – Combat
  • Maps, environments, diverse conditions and their effect on mechs and combat
  • High risk, high reward
  • Individual brilliance to outshine incompetent teamwork
  • Effective teamwork to become far more involved and complicated, but with greater levels of success
Spoiler

-Closing-

Spoiler

If you've made it this far, congratulations. I hope if was worth it, though I am well prepared for a barrage of TL;DR and the just as likely possibility of no responses whatsoever. But things like this need to leave the mind and be put out there to the world so that I'm not constantly running through it on my own. The reason for writing such an in-depth and thorough treatment to these mechanics is due to the heated discussion that comes up in regards to TTK and the correct 'feel' for a battletech game. Our current title doesn't have anywhere near the depth that I'd like to see, which would then allow us to enjoy a more accurate battletech experience, although given the circumstances, I must say that they are doing the best that can with what they have to work with. But there needs to be a clarification on the topic for those who don't understand when some of us say that as things stand now, mechs are too tough, TTK is too high and that we're attempting to slow the game down with the wrong system of changes. We don't want it to be COD. We don't want it to be a twitch shooter. We don't want games to be over in 2 minutes. We want Battletech.

Link to part 2: http://mwomercs.com/...2-the-universe/

Edited by legatoblues, 05 June 2016 - 04:16 PM.

#2 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:06 AM

Well, you asked for it:

Posted Image

#3 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:19 AM

Holy

Thats not a thread or a post, that is a novel....Daaaayyyyyyuuummmmm

#4 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:46 AM

Can I get a summary of the summary please?

#5 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:51 AM

Holy Sheet...there is a multi-volume post

View Postlegatoblues, on 03 June 2016 - 03:22 AM, said:

Wow. Impressive work.

#6 FalconerGray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 01:52 PM

View PostAntares102, on 03 June 2016 - 07:46 AM, said:

Can I get a summary of the summary please?

Probably should have done that in the first place....here we go!

The short version is that it's a look at how to bring gameplay closer into line with what we would find in a battletech novel or an intro video. I was always mesmerized by that slow and dangerous style of combat, but the games never really pulled it off.

It covers many broad ideas that are supposed to link together, such as slowing down the gameplay and increasing average player life through the use of mechanics other than a heavily buffed health bar (recoil effects, terrain effects, balance, variable and sometimes unreliable sensors, etc), diversifying mech abilities based on their designs (creating a performance difference between humanoid and chicken walker, for example). The easiest comparison to make is the difference between an arcade game and a highly detailed simulator. Those familiar with flight or racing sims will know what I mean.

The second part is a look at a far more detailed Faction Warfare concept, linking our current style of gameplay in with the missing elements such as political struggles, factionwide economy, the value of cheap, mass produced units and creating a PvP experience closer to what a player would find in a PvE campaign.

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 03 June 2016 - 07:19 AM, said:

Holy

Thats not a thread or a post, that is a novel....Daaaayyyyyyuuummmmm

Yeah....across the two threads, it's 17 pages and 11408 words. Perhaps the biggest single thing I've ever written. But, better to have it out there with a ton of noonecares.jpg posts than leaving it trapped inside my head.

#7 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:03 PM

I appreciate the efforts that you took to convey your vision of what a great MechWarrior/BattleTech should be and I will read the entire thing and compare your vision with mine. Thanks for sharing.\

Edit: As promised I read every word of it. Much of it reads like BattleTech Nirvana for anyone who is a true fan of the franchise. While I believe some parts of it are a bit too intricate, I do see why, if all things were possible, you would want the game to play this way.

I sincerely hope that there are people out there that will read this and think, "Hey, that is a great idea!" about parts of it.

I, too, have ideas about how this game (MWO) could be better. Of course, they are only my opinions, wants and wishes. I have often thought about typing them out for consideration but I have not seen a whole lot of evidence that independent ideas for improvements to this game will get any recognition or chance of implementation from the people who are steering the development of the game. That is fine. It is their game and they have their own vision for it. I can chose to play it or not but that dissuades me from taking the time and making the effort to make a up a presentation like yours that will probably never be read anyway.

Instead, I do what many others do and respond to threads on various subjects with bits and pieces of my ideas for consideration by those in the community that may be interested or have an opinion.

Again, major props for you for taking the time and caring enough to make this presentation.

Edited by Rampage, 03 June 2016 - 04:48 PM.

#8 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:17 PM

View Postlegatoblues, on 03 June 2016 - 01:52 PM, said:

Yeah....across the two threads, it's 17 pages and 11408 words. Perhaps the biggest single thing I've ever written. But, better to have it out there with a ton of noonecares.jpg posts than leaving it trapped inside my head.
True, I often think the same way. Have you thought about putting in a google doc for later reference?

#9 FalconerGray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:57 PM

View PostSnowbluff, on 03 June 2016 - 02:17 PM, said:

True, I often think the same way. Have you thought about putting in a google doc for later reference?

No, I hadn't thought of that, it isn't really something I'm entirely familiar with. Will it be available to the public to read? I can't see myself having a reason to return to it, but I link in my sig for any interested readers could be worthwhile I guess.

View PostRampage, on 03 June 2016 - 02:03 PM, said:

I appreciate the efforts that you took to convey your vision of what a great MechWarrior/BattleTech should be and I will read the entire thing and compare your vision with mine. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Rampage.

#10 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:53 PM

View Postlegatoblues, on 03 June 2016 - 02:57 PM, said:

No, I hadn't thought of that, it isn't really something I'm entirely familiar with. Will it be available to the public to read? I can't see myself having a reason to return to it, but I link in my sig for any interested readers could be worthwhile I guess.

You can set accessibility options to, for example, make it so whoever clicks the link can read it.

#11 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

View Postlegatoblues, on 03 June 2016 - 01:52 PM, said:

Probably should have done that in the first place....here we go!

The short version is that it's a look at how to bring gameplay closer into line with what we would find in a battletech novel or an intro video. I was always mesmerized by that slow and dangerous style of combat, but the games never really pulled it off.

It covers many broad ideas that are supposed to link together, such as slowing down the gameplay and increasing average player life through the use of mechanics other than a heavily buffed health bar (recoil effects, terrain effects, balance, variable and sometimes unreliable sensors, etc), diversifying mech abilities based on their designs (creating a performance difference between humanoid and chicken walker, for example). The easiest comparison to make is the difference between an arcade game and a highly detailed simulator. Those familiar with flight or racing sims will know what I mean.

The second part is a look at a far more detailed Faction Warfare concept, linking our current style of gameplay in with the missing elements such as political struggles, factionwide economy, the value of cheap, mass produced units and creating a PvP experience closer to what a player would find in a PvE campaign.

LOL, i know that feeling, I have that sometimes. I sit and contemplate things and it literally keeps me awake at night since I keep thinking about stuff as I randomly brainstorm ideas and I cant sleep for **** until I post it somewhere....hahaha.

I can never turn off my imagination....

#12 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:08 PM

Our current game makes use of large buffs to armour and survivability in an attempt to ensure more game time for the player. But as we've all seen, focus fire from multiple opponents quickly puts pave to that. So more buffs to health / nerfs to firepower are called for, but this doesn't really fix anything. As it stands right now, survivability in 1v1 engagements are far beyond what would be expected in the Battletech universe, which also then serves to negate the effectiveness of an individual pilot facing numerous opponents.

This is exactly why the key to raising TTK lies not in addressing the mechs themselves, but in reducing the number of mechs in any given location through dynamic gamemodes that force multiple smaller engagements.

The style of map will play a big part in shaping the battles and I expect it to be a tale of big contrasts, with open areas and rolling plains being just as likely battlefields as suffocatingly thick city sprawls. A common thread through both environments will be the value of covering as much ground as possible. A formation advancing with an even spread has a greater chance of locating the enemy first, whilst a huddled up deathball is at a high risk of walking into a trap. The environment should also be dynamic in it's ability to interact with and effect the course of the battle. Some maps or sections of maps should provide very little visibility, which I something to be taken advantage of from a tactical standpoint and some maps or sections of maps could provide sensor interference. Imagine finding yourself running without targeting or map information due to electrical disturbances? Communication and spotting would become critical in those situations.

I love this. Are you perchance single and female?

#13 FalconerGray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 362 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:00 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 03 June 2016 - 09:08 PM, said:

I love this. Are you perchance single and female?

Neg on both counts. Thanks for taking the time to read - it's encouraging to know that people are identifying with some of the concepts I've presented, it suggests that I'm not completely mad.

#14 Undercover Brother

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 323 posts
  • LocationThe Hood

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:57 AM

Sadly, many of these topics were covered back in the early 90's by Virtual World Entertainment.

The sim pods they used were fully immersive, and had peripherals to adjust power draw from the engine. The speed of weapons recycling had to be balanced between the speed of the mech itself, and coolant flow could be redirected so that your PPC barrel didn't melt from overuse, but your lasers would run hot as a result. If a limb was severed, you could direct all coolant and power from that severed limb into your remaining systems. It was a truly novel approach, and I was sad to see it go.

That being said, it was done with technology that's over 20 years old now. We're talking about the old 486dx processors (granted, each pod was running multiple processors and multiple GPUs to achieve this which is why, if a pod was down for maintenance, it was ALWAYS due to overheating). Current technology would most certainly be able to produce a much more superior game now, but the developers failed miserably by trying to restart a franchise from scratch, instead of building upon what worked before.

If PGI wouldn't have promised too much up front, and maybe if they'd teamed up with a more experienced group than IGP (which I honestly blame for rushing an unfinished product to the market). Sure, we probably would STILL be in BETA (aren't we still there?), but the promise of an "immersive experience" (LMFAO) and something much more akin to a true Battletech: MechWarrior experience, would be EASY if they'd conned a group like LucasArts into helping with the development.

As far as the story (economy/intrigue/etc...), see every topic I've posted over the last 5 years... There's only a couple, but watch how quickly I'm flamed for it.

Unfortunately, 97% of he simpletons who play this game aren't BT/MW fans. The fact that the Devs PROCLAIM they are fans, is a travesty in itself, seeing as how they consistently cowtow to the whiners who will never spend a dime to support this product, instead of those who were drawn in BECAUSE of the BT/MW branding, and have financed this endeavor since the beginning (which I feel I've seriously wasted at least $2000 by now...not counting PC upgrades). I still have faith (though, very little) that the Devs will eventually wake up and realize that if they went for something that was truly an authentic SIMULATION of the BT/MW, even the penniless whiners would be impressed enough to shut up, and open their wallets. Unfortunately, unless they go to a subscription-based game, I don't see that happening.

Edited by T Decker, 04 June 2016 - 08:12 AM.

#15 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:14 AM

I want to add my 2 cents.

Not maps, worlds

All MW games share a common approach to maps, squares of 1x1...8x8. It is time to try something different, model an entire planet... a bit scaled down.

Imagine having a square of 400x400 km, all environments would be seamlessly modeled on that huge map, cities, countryside, deserts, mountains, rivers, seas etc. The square is without boundaries, left size is connected with right side, low size is connected with high side, you could walk without ever meeting a boundary.

Solving problem of memory consumption

The map would be divided in smaller squares of 4x4 km, each client would cache in memory the square where it is and the 8 adjacent squares. When a square boundary is crossed the new 3 adjacent squares are loaded in background and the 3 disconnected squares are freed. The squares swaps can intelligently programmed to be performed in parallel with a low priority thread.

Solving problem of bandwidth

The server would only send clients info regarding the adjacent squares, the super map could contain hundreds of players. The map would have intelligent gateways (gates, bridges, roadblocks, fences etc) that would prevent players going into a zone with already too many players inside.

Global tactical info would be routed to all clients but those are relatively low-bandwidth.

Server load problem

Handling hundreds of players would be server-intensive, an approach could be to have server clusters, the map handling would be divided between many cores or even many servers. Crossing boundaries could bring you on another server. Other games already do this.

Game mode: persistent

The world is always active, you actions are persistent. When you connect a dropship brings you/team in a zone with relatively low load then it is entirely up to you to explore, it is a long game, deal with it.

Leaving the game would involve using friendly bases or having a dropship called for extraction.

Objectives

The whole world is an objective.

IS map

Multiply the above for how many planets you need or want.

#16 FalconerGray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 362 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 02:01 PM

View PostT Decker, on 04 June 2016 - 07:57 AM, said:

Sadly, many of these topics were covered back in the early 90's by Virtual World Entertainment.

The sim pods they used were fully immersive, and had peripherals to adjust power draw from the engine. The speed of weapons recycling had to be balanced between the speed of the mech itself, and coolant flow could be redirected so that your PPC barrel didn't melt from overuse, but your lasers would run hot as a result. If a limb was severed, you could direct all coolant and power from that severed limb into your remaining systems. It was a truly novel approach, and I was sad to see it go.

That being said, it was done with technology that's over 20 years old now. We're talking about the old 486dx processors (granted, each pod was running multiple processors and multiple GPUs to achieve this which is why, if a pod was down for maintenance, it was ALWAYS due to overheating). Current technology would most certainly be able to produce a much more superior game now, but the developers failed miserably by trying to restart a franchise from scratch, instead of building upon what worked before.

If PGI wouldn't have promised too much up front, and maybe if they'd teamed up with a more experienced group than IGP (which I honestly blame for rushing an unfinished product to the market). Sure, we probably would STILL be in BETA (aren't we still there?), but the promise of an "immersive experience" (LMFAO) and something much more akin to a true Battletech: MechWarrior experience, would be EASY if they'd conned a group like LucasArts into helping with the development.

As far as the story (economy/intrigue/etc...), see every topic I've posted over the last 5 years... There's only a couple, but watch how quickly I'm flamed for it.

Unfortunately, 97% of he simpletons who play this game aren't BT/MW fans. The fact that the Devs PROCLAIM they are fans, is a travesty in itself, seeing as how they consistently cowtow to the whiners who will never spend a dime to support this product, instead of those who were drawn in BECAUSE of the BT/MW branding, and have financed this endeavor since the beginning (which I feel I've seriously wasted at least $2000 by now...not counting PC upgrades). I still have faith (though, very little) that the Devs will eventually wake up and realize that if they went for something that was truly an authentic SIMULATION of the BT/MW, even the penniless whiners would be impressed enough to shut up, and open their wallets. Unfortunately, unless they go to a subscription-based game, I don't see that happening.

Fantastic post, pretty sure I agree with all of it. And I had no idea that the BT Pods were that detailed in their simulation abilities, I thought they were just a fancy MW2 peripheral....very impressive. The way you've described diverting coolant, prioritizing some weapons over others, etc, all that sounds amazing to me. Thanks for sharing!

#17 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:41 AM

View PostEvilCow, on 04 June 2016 - 10:14 AM, said:

I want to add my 2 cents.

Not maps, worlds

All MW games share a common approach to maps, squares of 1x1...8x8. It is time to try something different, model an entire planet... a bit scaled down.

Imagine having a square of 400x400 km, all environments would be seamlessly modeled on that huge map, cities, countryside, deserts, mountains, rivers, seas etc. The square is without boundaries, left size is connected with right side, low size is connected with high side, you could walk without ever meeting a boundary.

Solving problem of memory consumption

The map would be divided in smaller squares of 4x4 km, each client would cache in memory the square where it is and the 8 adjacent squares. When a square boundary is crossed the new 3 adjacent squares are loaded in background and the 3 disconnected squares are freed. The squares swaps can intelligently programmed to be performed in parallel with a low priority thread.

Solving problem of bandwidth

The server would only send clients info regarding the adjacent squares, the super map could contain hundreds of players. The map would have intelligent gateways (gates, bridges, roadblocks, fences etc) that would prevent players going into a zone with already too many players inside.

Global tactical info would be routed to all clients but those are relatively low-bandwidth.

Server load problem

Handling hundreds of players would be server-intensive, an approach could be to have server clusters, the map handling would be divided between many cores or even many servers. Crossing boundaries could bring you on another server. Other games already do this.

Game mode: persistent

The world is always active, you actions are persistent. When you connect a dropship brings you/team in a zone with relatively low load then it is entirely up to you to explore, it is a long game, deal with it.

Leaving the game would involve using friendly bases or having a dropship called for extraction.

Objectives

The whole world is an objective.

IS map

Multiply the above for how many planets you need or want.

That's...ridiculously ambitious for anything but the top developers. And it's not anything close to what we were promised by PGI.

#18 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:29 AM

you should use a .[spoiler function for saving space, otherwise wastes page space and makes it unfriendly to read. just a suggestion, and will read here in a minute.

#19 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:30 AM

I'm not reading that.

#20 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:38 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 05 June 2016 - 09:41 AM, said:

That's...ridiculously ambitious for anything but the top developers. And it's not anything close to what we were promised by PGI.

I never stated that it could be retrofitted on MWO. It would require a custom/customized engine and some serious design/programming skills. Technically it was feasible already 5 years ago or so.

Game developers are sitting on old concepts.

My ideal of a MW game would be something like MWLL with MWO artwork and a persistent setup like the one I described.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users