New Players, Do Not Declare For A Clan.

39 replies to this topic

#21 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:03 AM

View PostStormbringer13, on 07 June 2016 - 07:19 AM, said:

I've encountered that many times. Or, I'm standing there firing at someone, and a bigger mech decides to come over and stand in front of me to take my firing position. I'm sure he's pissed when my AC-10 blows out his back armor, but whose fault is that?

I'll willingly take a time-out penalty for killing an a*****e. too late. I have not joined a unit yet, as I'm still new-ish. and I am kinda tired of being talked-down to by other players.

That is of the many problems with playing with players that do not know what they are doing. They might have been in the Military but never used a weapon. I try to explain how to move from a file to a firing line, or simply get side by side and no one gets it. Jumping in front of everyone is a problem, no one understand fields of fire.

And one of the reasons I quit being on anyone teamspeak for a few weeks was the way they talked about new players. And I'm more than 100% sure when I'm not on the channel, they talk about me.

#22 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:52 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 07 June 2016 - 09:55 AM, said:

Time zones are not a problem for me. I'm disabled so I have no life and I have insomnia so I only sleep about every 5th night. Which can make you a little crazy at times.

I cracks me up when someone complains all day "I just could not get to sleep last night".

Tell me you got yours from military service, too.

Man, if MWO were around in 1995 when my insomnia was that bad...

Edited by Sister RAbbi, 07 June 2016 - 10:53 AM.

#23 Stormbringer13

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 02:53 PM

as one example of the rude treatment I've received as a PUG. Yes, I'm still using Trial mechs. I own 3 hunchbacks, and have 5 mech bays. Limited space, so I use whats available.
People were yelling(not specifically at me) for players not to bring LRMs into CW. I've never seen this posted anywhere, so was wondering how new players are supposed to know this. When I asked 'why?', the only real reason they could give me is "they suck". Funny thing was, our offensive push was being eaten alive by LRM volley after LRM volley. Yet I could not get any more info out of the 'experts' about it. THen I was told to "shut up and learn something", and then dismissed as "just another n00b who will rage-quit without going to the forums first and learning the right way of doing things"

I've already mentioned the shortcomings of the Forums search function, so what, exactly, should I be learning?

#24 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:43 PM

View PostStormbringer13, on 07 June 2016 - 02:53 PM, said:

<<<snip>>>

I've already mentioned the shortcomings of the Forums search function, so what, exactly, should I be learning?

I get exactly how you feel. Some people just aren't willing to help others in order to help themselves. LRMs require a spotting lock maintained, and LRMs can't track without it. But, people aren't willing to stick themselves out to help their missile launcher handlers hit and give them payouts for it. People would rather complain that LRM users should "get their own locks", when LRM use requires operating as a 2nd-Line Support. Otherwise, the LRM handler can't ensure constant hits without losing that assistance power too early because they were getting beat up as well. Thanks to PGI's "Weak Radar" game mechanic, LRMs can't behave like they did back in the earlier MechWarrior PC Games, where the radar always sensed powered up mechs unless your/their radar was on passive. It's like everyone's radar in MWO is passive-only, which really destroys LRM usability and viability as a weapon in the game. It's rare anymore that I can get a good round in where I'm lending my best hand with my favorite choice of weapon, the LRM. I guess soon, LRMs will be an unused weapon due to people constantly trying to apply a negative stigma instead of learning how they can use it to their advantage. And to deck it all off? A lot of people either haven't played the Tutorial, or they're unable/unwilling to use their Target Lock key (default "R") to look where the enemy is weakest, and provide telemetry to their team to help them. So many drawbacks in the community to overcome, and the chance of getting a good round with LRM usage due to it is too low. So yeah, there's just too many idiots out there who think they're going to force you to use Direct-Fire weaponry and not let you help them to help you. It isn't a matter of "learning something", but a matter of "their dogma running your karma over" instead. They're bent on teaching you to do things only their way, which doesn't work for everyone, because each player really has their own style. They've forgotten that this isn't "BrawlWarrior", but instead "MechWarrior", which is supposed to be a synergy of all those play styles, not just a single one being the only one used. If that isn't bad enough, between PGI's Code of Conduct and Game Round Time Limits, plus the impatience of a lot of players, it's like you're forced to fight at point-blank range even if it damns you, instead of being able to stop to think and possibly work out a winning strategy. MechWarrior isn't supposed to be a twitch-fest, where compressing into 15 Minutes for Quick Play rounds gets you wrecked without learning anything, due to it just being not enough time to play properly. It should have been 24 minutes per Quick Play round, like the older MechWarrior games, in order to allow strategies to play out and be learned from. :(

~Mr. D. V. "Don't get me started about Faction Warfare modes... Those should be at least 48 minutes..." Devnull

#25 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:07 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 05 June 2016 - 11:12 AM, said:

At least I have a winning record in QP. Because of my horrible record in invasions, I will be a Tier 5 pilot forever.

I wanted to be part of something but I'll just be another player in the QP area.

I just do not want other new players to make my mistakes.

Faction warfare has no effect whatsoever on your Tier rating.

#26 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:13 PM

View PostSister RAbbi, on 07 June 2016 - 10:52 AM, said:

Tell me you got yours from military service, too. Man, if MWO were around in 1995 when my insomnia was that bad...

Here are the people that always made me jealous. Someone would say "OK, you have 45 minutes" and "this guy" would be asleep within 2 minutes.

And I would be like...."how do you do that?"

#27 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:20 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 07 June 2016 - 05:07 PM, said:

Faction warfare has no effect whatsoever on your Tier rating.

I get it, I suck...LOL. Here is a funny thing. I knew nothing about Tiers till a week ago. And I saw someone's sig here about getting out of Tier 5 hell. So I started looking up how do you get to Tier 6.

It was really hard to find but I found a small thread about it here on the forums. And that is when i found out that I'm the lowest of the low, lol.

Maybe if I did not spend so much time spotting for LRM boats and getting shot in the head for my trouble......hehe.....I'm glued to the target and I often do not see the LRM boat move off etc and I see that I'm really by myself out here. I need to get over the always being out front mentally that for some reason I've always had.

#28 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:24 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 07 June 2016 - 04:43 PM, said:

I get exactly how you feel. Some people just aren't willing to help others in order to help themselves. LRMs require a spotting lock maintained, and LRMs can't track without it. But, people aren't willing to stick themselves out to help their missile launcher handlers hit and give them payouts for it. People would rather complain that LRM users should "get their own locks", when LRM use requires operating as a 2nd-Line Support. Otherwise, the LRM handler can't ensure constant hits without losing that assistance power too early because they were getting beat up as well. Thanks to PGI's "Weak Radar" game mechanic, LRMs can't behave like they did back in the earlier MechWarrior PC Games, where the radar always sensed powered up mechs unless your/their radar was on passive. It's like everyone's radar in MWO is passive-only, which really destroys LRM usability and viability as a weapon in the game. It's rare anymore that I can get a good round in where I'm lending my best hand with my favorite choice of weapon, the LRM. I guess soon, LRMs will be an unused weapon due to people constantly trying to apply a negative stigma instead of learning how they can use it to their advantage. And to deck it all off? A lot of people either haven't played the Tutorial, or they're unable/unwilling to use their Target Lock key (default "R") to look where the enemy is weakest, and provide telemetry to their team to help them. So many drawbacks in the community to overcome, and the chance of getting a good round with LRM usage due to it is too low. So yeah, there's just too many idiots out there who think they're going to force you to use Direct-Fire weaponry and not let you help them to help you. It isn't a matter of "learning something", but a matter of "their dogma running your karma over" instead. They're bent on teaching you to do things only their way, which doesn't work for everyone, because each player really has their own style. They've forgotten that this isn't "BrawlWarrior", but instead "MechWarrior", which is supposed to be a synergy of all those play styles, not just a single one being the only one used. If that isn't bad enough, between PGI's Code of Conduct and Game Round Time Limits, plus the impatience of a lot of players, it's like you're forced to fight at point-blank range even if it damns you, instead of being able to stop to think and possibly work out a winning strategy. MechWarrior isn't supposed to be a twitch-fest, where compressing into 15 Minutes for Quick Play rounds gets you wrecked without learning anything, due to it just being not enough time to play properly. It should have been 24 minutes per Quick Play round, like the older MechWarrior games, in order to allow strategies to play out and be learned from. :( ~Mr. D. V. "Don't get me started about Faction Warfare modes... Those should be at least 48 minutes..." Devnull

Lack of patience is so big here. Lack of it kills you and your chances of a team win over and over.

#29 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:44 PM

as one example of the rude treatment I've received as a PUG. Yes, I'm still using Trial mechs. I own 3 hunchbacks, and have 5 mech bays. Limited space, so I use whats available.
People were yelling(not specifically at me) for players not to bring LRMs into CW. I've never seen this posted anywhere, so was wondering how new players are supposed to know this. When I asked 'why?', the only real reason they could give me is "they suck". Funny thing was, our offensive push was being eaten alive by LRM volley after LRM volley. Yet I could not get any more info out of the 'experts' about it. THen I was told to "shut up and learn something", and then dismissed as "just another n00b who will rage-quit without going to the forums first and learning the right way of doing things"

It's the dynamics of CW that agitate against LRM use. In CW maps, there are generally interlocking fields of fire interspersed with cover and concealment. This in turn means that players with long-range direct-fire weapons are trying to take advantage of the fields of fire, while short-ranged 'mechs (or teams trying to kill objectives) are trying to use cover and concealment to get to them. LRMs take the worst of both worlds. Using LRMs against enemies in cover is a fool's errand: sure, it makes them duck, but so will a Gauss round - and the direct-fire weapon may actually deal damage. In general, the only time you'll get sustained locks is when your team is charging them, or their team is charging you; you may also get locks if the enemy is too unobservant to kill or move away from a UAV. These drawbacks can be overcome, but only with great difficulty and teamwork - thus, they are not a good weapon for Faction Warfare.

Take Boreal Vault as an excellent example I used to call that map Clannerville during the Tukayyid events: you'd open the gates and be greeted by a literal panorama of long-range weapons fire. Our objective was to get the frack out of that Clanner-centric kill zone by the gates and move up one or the other side avenues to reach cover and get close to the enemy and/or the objectives. This gave Clanner LRMs a narrow window to acquire and maintain a lock through ECM long enough to place shots on a target. Once we got to the side approaches (or even the middle; sometimes that surprised the Clans enough you could get a wave of fast Heavies/Mediums through) we wanted to put constant pressure on the enemy and advance into knife-range under cover of our supports. Occasionally a Clan missile boat would deal some significant damage here, but only if we were stopped by their direct-fire 'Mechs. In either case once this stage was reached we would slug it out with the enemy and attack the objectives until we were blasted down, then regroup our next drop wave and return to square one - getting past the Clans' direct-fire advantage as quickly as possible.

PS: LRM users should get their own locks. If it's unreasonable to expect the LRM user to expose himself from the backfield long enough to ensure his own hits, it's certainly unreasonable to ask the guys on the front line to expose themselves to even more fire at close range. This doesn't mean it's ok to not hit R, or refuse to cooperate with the LRM boat - but the expectation of some LRM users that everyone else is there to spot for the LRM "support" is bad play.

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 07 June 2016 - 05:13 PM, said:

Here are the people that always made me jealous. Someone would say "OK, you have 45 minutes" and "this guy" would be asleep within 2 minutes.

And I would be like...."how do you do that?"

I've been "that guy!" Unfortunately, the answer turned out to be "moderate sleep apnea."

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 07 June 2016 - 05:20 PM, said:

Maybe if I did not spend so much time spotting for LRM boats and getting shot in the head for my trouble......hehe.....I'm glued to the target and I often do not see the LRM boat move off etc and I see that I'm really by myself out here. I need to get over the always being out front mentally that for some reason I've always had.

Or you can focus on an ECM scouting light and do it professionally - I recommend the Spider 5D! But if you're piloting the big, slow stompies, or even a Medium... yeah, see my reasoning above as to why LRM carriers need to get their own locks. "I'm a support, so you need to take the damage" should be a slappable offense.

Oh! On topic: No new player should declare loyalty for any faction until you've gotten your feet under you. Freelance around and get used to both sides of Faction Warfare before you commit - and usually, that commitment should be in the form of a loyalist unit.

#30 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:52 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 07 June 2016 - 05:44 PM, said:

- and usually, that commitment should be in the form of a loyalist unit.

Only if you have the time to commit to being Loyalist and/or in a Unit. Otherwise you'll just drag them down, and with how 'FW, Phase 3' is, they would have to eject you again and leave you to searching around once more. :(

~D. V. "There's the big drawback." Devnull

#31 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:02 PM

Eh, it depends on the unit. There are units out there that aren't gung-ho hard-core - or have members who are more casual based on grandfathered size. My unit supports just about all levels of involvement in the game. There's no reason you can't find a casual unit to support a casual schedule.

#32 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 10:29 PM

You should be learning that LRMs suck. Duh!

Okay, but seriously...

A lot of folks whine that they're no-skill weapons, and that's true. A lot of folks bring up the VERY good point that they reinforce BAD habits that will lead to disappointment as you try to manage direct-fire mechs. VERY true. But mostly...

People hate getting LRMs rained on them. I can blame ME if I gave an enemy line-of-sight to me to hit me with Gauss or ERLL or whatever. But there's something helpless about that whole getting-lurmed-to-death-in-concealed-positions thing. It sucks. And that suck translates to hate for those doing the lurming.

Never mind that there ARE folks out there, tier 1 hotshots, who are plenty capable of putting up 1100+ damage in a HBK-4J with nothing but LRMs. Not naming names, but I've got this teammate at QQ ...

Anyhoo. They have their place, and the haters have learned to compromise a little bit. That compromise says, "GET YOUR OWN LOCKS NEWB!" Not very polite, is it? BUT, there's some great truth at the center of that pearl.

For instance, Artemis IV FCS only works for you if YOU, the FIRER, have line-of-sight to the target. If someone else is spotting for you, then your A4FCS is a waste of 1 ton and 1 critical slot per launcher. So, short of boating LRM-5s (really only sorta-doable in a CPLT-A1 or MDD, for proper effect, and MAYBE the ARC-5W), you WANT Artemis. For it to be worthwhile, you WANT to get your own locks, and to have direct LoS to your target. And that means ...

Get CLOSER to the target. There's a point, in terms of range to target, at which LRMs take a higher arcing flight path from launcher to target. And don't forget that missiles have a speed, hence a flight time that gets longer and longer the further you are from the target. That's more time that the target is getting that "INCOMING MISSILES" warning, and can react appropriately. That's more opportunity for the enemy to thwart your effort to kill him. And while LRMs DO have that minimum arming distance (180m), at one meter beyond that they do FULL damage. That's pretty close. They're just as damaging to the enemy's paint job at 181 meters as they are at 999. Just easier to hit with up-close. Most folks will tell you that 300-550, give or take, is your ideal range bracket for LRMs. I don't disagree. And getting closer lets you ...

SHARE ARMOR. Look, 9/10 times if you're sitting in the rear with fresh armor, your teammates are gonna get clobbered for being 1 mech down (yes, 1/12 makes a BIG difference in MWO), and then the 8-10 enemy mechs that survived clobbering your shorthanded teammates are gonna follow the pretty smoke trails back to your LRM boat and toast you like a Subway sandwich (too soon for a Jared joke?). So get up there with them. No, you can't generally BRAWL with LRMs. But being in the near end of the mid-range fight is pretty reasonable for a good LRM boat. You can still rotate into and out of enemy LoS with your teammates (sharing armor), and if you brought along an active probe (any good LRMer should) then you're also helping them bust the nearest ECM. BONUS! And you can target enemy UAVs with it, too! But anyhow...

And you'll likely want backup weapons of some sort for short-range work. Consider the CPLT-A1(C), for instance. Designed by the community here. Carries not JUST LRMs, but also SRMs. Why? Because sometimes you gotta fight within 180m, and LRMs don't cut it there. The C1 and C4 also have E hard points, so you can mount backup lasers (AND a TAG) on them as well as your missiles. And the forthcoming Butterbee hero mech will 4 each (as far as we know) E and M hard points, the best of both the C1 and C4. Smooth. MDD has options to accompany the missiles with E or B weapons, too. And so on. 3/4 Archers have E hard points. The HBK-4J has some Es on it. And so on. That's valuable not just as a deterrent to some hungry light with an appetite for LRM boat flesh, but also as a way for you to contribute in the short- and mid-range fight with your teammates while armor-sharing.

Thing is, while this advice is liberally slathered all over this forum (both NPH and the Guides/Strats, at least, and probably thrice a day in GD as a salt topic), it seems all but inaccessible to new players, who are naturally drawn to 'I'm a long-range support pilot" B. S. by the intimidating learning curve of the brawl. Sure. G'head and take a break from that, and huck hateful lurms at the emeny. It's cool.

But most new folks DON'T heed that advice, whether they've heard/read it or not, and thus induce the rage of their teammates in any given match. We've seen it SO many times.

One last thing. In the current state of the game, being able to pinpoint your damage output to a particular component of a target mech is (IS) the difference between life and death. It's what the best players do SO VERY WELL, along with other things, that makes them the best. You can't DO that with LRMs. Just like with Streak SRMs, and to a lesser extent the LB-X autocannons and MGs, it's sandblasting. The LRMs hit where they hit, and that's that. You can pick the target, and you can pick your nose, but you CAN'T pick your component with LRMs like you can with LPLs or Gauss. Sorry. That's the rules. Even standard SRMs (preferably with Artemis) allow the firer some considerable degree of accuracy in this, that Streak and LRM firers just don't have. You'll likely notice, if the stats page ever gets un-borked, that you have a much MUCH higher ration of damage:kills with LRM boats than with direct-fire mechs, especially once you've gotten good at the latter. That's not a good thing. It's inefficient, in a game where efficiency in killing is SO very valuable...

In short, that's why people hate on LRM boaters.

But play your game, player. Make the experience what YOU want it to be. Someone gets salty, BLOCK 'em. Go right on playing it how YOU want to play it. There's nothing at stake. You're not going to lose the house or the wife because your faction failed to capture Planet X today. You're not going to make a million bucks if they do. It doesn't matter, except in that you have a good time playing. So do what puts a smile on your face, and f**k anyone who has a problem with that...

#33 Brut4ce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLand's End

Posted 07 June 2016 - 11:04 PM

Ummmm......LOL?! OP, All i can comment is this;
Faction Play Phase 3, where all the Inner Sphere Citizens and armies have been evacuated to the Outer Rim and all that remains is a few hundred brave warriors onboard a couple of very advanced jumpships called "PGI" :)

#34 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:30 AM

Well, damn it! I have the awesome KIT FOX!

I spent $4M C-Bills on AMS overload so I need the LRM boats to have a purpose! At least in Quick Play.

In faction warfare...not so much.......On some QP maps, you can use LRM's fairly well IMO. And one reason people hate them is that they hate being killed by something they cannot touch or see.

#35 Stormbringer13

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 05:56 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 07 June 2016 - 04:43 PM, said:

If that isn't bad enough, between PGI's Code of Conduct and Game Round Time Limits, plus the impatience of a lot of players, it's like you're forced to fight at point-blank range even if it damns you, instead of being able to stop to think and possibly work out a winning strategy. MechWarrior isn't supposed to be a twitch-fest, where compressing into 15 Minutes for Quick Play rounds gets you wrecked without learning anything, due to it just being not enough time to play properly. It should have been 24 minutes per Quick Play round, like the older MechWarrior games, in order to allow strategies to play out and be learned from. Posted Image

~Mr. D. V. "Don't get me started about Faction Warfare modes... Those should be at least 48 minutes..." Devnull

I'll be honest, the rush-fest that CW is right now does not suit me at all.
Blow up the gate, rush to the back and I get lost and confused in the furball that results, and end up with 150 damage.
That run and gun does not suit my playstyle at all. I'm still a new player. I'm learning the ropes. But right now my best ability is as a LRM support. Trust me, you don't want me up front brawling. I may as well jump out of my cockpit and kick the enemy forces. I can snipe a little with my Hunchback and his AC10, but still learning the torso twist thing. seems very awkward to me.

#36 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 09:51 PM

View PostStormbringer13, on 08 June 2016 - 05:56 PM, said:

I'll be honest, the rush-fest that CW is right now does not suit me at all.
Blow up the gate, rush to the back and I get lost and confused in the furball that results, and end up with 150 damage.
That run and gun does not suit my playstyle at all. I'm still a new player. I'm learning the ropes. But right now my best ability is as a LRM support. Trust me, you don't want me up front brawling. I may as well jump out of my cockpit and kick the enemy forces. I can snipe a little with my Hunchback and his AC10, but still learning the torso twist thing. seems very awkward to me.

Just got done playing a few winning CW matches with some teammates. Fun, in my opinion. But that's just me. Both were Invasion/Attack. JUST what you're talking about here...

So, there's a metagame at work here in FW/CW that's even MORE complicated (in some ways) than in QP. And a lot has been written on it. Honestly, if you haven't read the FW/CW section of the guide that Kin3ticX wrote, then you should probably do so before even clicking the Faction Warfare tab again. It's good stuff. And it covers a lot of this. Also look into GMan129's stuff on CW strategy at metamechs.com (yes, there's a LOT more there than just mech builds).

But anyhow, CW revolves around what WORKS. That's not to say that there's no use for long-range plinkers. QUITE THE F-ING CONTRARY! Some lone enemy defending on Emerald Taiga had 3 of us pinned down by himself in his dual-Gauss Jagermech, sitting on a hilltop off in the distance. It was effective. Try the wall in Vitric Forge-- long-range builds are fantastic there, as they can plink half of the map with ERPPCs or Gauss or ERLLs, and are hard to hit back, and get TONS of spotting assists for friendly LRM boats. Which is to say, that long-range WORKS in CW. Hell, play a drop on Boreal, then come back and tell me that long-range builds are second to brawlers. G'head. Hell, before the KDK, Clans didn't really HAVE A decent assault-class brawler, and mid-range stuff like dakka whales were the best they could do (at a steep price to their drop decks, no less).

Also, AC/10 is not a sniper weapon. The Ballistic Velocity quirk helps, but really only within its natural range bracket (it also has a 25% buff to Ballistic range, so you have the same flight time to optimal range, making it still too slow to really be effective AT that range). I'm assuming HBK-4G, not -4H or Gridiron. if you WANT to play sniper with that -4G, swap out to a Gauss rifle. Let that cooldown and velocity and range quirk set really SHINE (not to mention the -25% crit chance quirk, which helps out a LOT with the Gauss).

Hey, even feel free to roll with LRMs. But heed the above advice, and go read some LRM guides in the Guides & Strats forum. And go work on those skills a little in QP, too. And SHARE ARMOR. If nothing else, get up close and take your share of the licks. And if you can perform well with LRMs like that, then so be it. We'd PREFER that you saved LRMs for later on, as again they build BAD habits that will slow your progress, but if you MUST then at least do it right.

But me, I recommend mid-range builds. Do the laser vomit, that we all love to cry about but is quite effective (more so yet in CW). Do the dakka (multiple AC/5s and/or UAC/5s) that spits DPS like no other build philosophy. Play direct-fire LRMs inside 500 meters, with some backup weapons, and your own TAG and AP.

ALSO, the Mechwarrior Academy has some events ("Gauntlet" and "Running Cored") that help train you on the torso-twisting thing, as well as the newer Battle Zone feature. USE THAT STUFF. Then practice it in QP. Then apply it in CW. You'll have a much better experience of it all, I assure you...

#37 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:11 PM

View PostSister RAbbi, on 08 June 2016 - 09:51 PM, said:

Hell, before the KDK, Clans didn't really HAVE A decent assault-class brawler,

You impune the 'Goyle?! ... Were we not on the same side, Oh t'would be circle of equals time. Alas Clan Jade Falcon can ill afford to lose such an accomplished mechwarrior during these troubled times.

~Leone.

#38 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:41 AM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 05 June 2016 - 11:21 AM, said:

New players, dont listen to him- join what ever clan wolf you want!

Heh, a Smoked Jaguar with the blood name Kernesky, this amuses me...

But in all seriousness, the entire Faction Warfare system is borked, as the large Merc units have a little too much say in who's faction is going to be on top till the next contract change....

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 07 June 2016 - 09:55 AM, said:

Time zones are not a problem for me. I'm disabled so I have no life and I have insomnia so I only sleep about every 5th night. Which can make you a little crazy at times.

I cracks me up when someone complains all day "I just could not get to sleep last night".

I know the feeling brother, after I got home after my last deployment fitting back into 'normal' life wasn't easy... the bed was too soft, the night was too quite... and some of the things I saw during those deployments made it hard to sleep... The upside was a couple of years after being back, I met my wife, and had our first kid, so me being up at night let her sleep during the night shift with our first kid being up... Still going on 5 years after getting back home, things are better now.

#39 Stormbringer13

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:28 AM

View PostSister RAbbi, on 08 June 2016 - 09:51 PM, said:

I do share armor. I don't sit back in the rear. as a Medium, I know that my position is right behind the heavy and assault mechs, ready to help wherever.
I tried the Gauss at furst and didn't like it. felt awkward to me. I will give it a second chance for a little variety.

Ive also just gained my first Thunderbolt, as per the FRR dropdeck guidelines. I'll be needing to leave and do a Merc Tour around the IS in order to deck any more than that. So I am experimenting and trying new things.

if there are any links people would like to provide for essential reading, I will read, learn and absorb what I can.
I watch the youtube vids when I can, but I think some may be a bit out of date.

#40 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:28 PM

View PostStormbringer13, on 09 June 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

I do share armor. I don't sit back in the rear. as a Medium, I know that my position is right behind the heavy and assault mechs, ready to help wherever.
I tried the Gauss at furst and didn't like it. felt awkward to me. I will give it a second chance for a little variety.

Ive also just gained my first Thunderbolt, as per the FRR dropdeck guidelines. I'll be needing to leave and do a Merc Tour around the IS in order to deck any more than that. So I am experimenting and trying new things.

if there are any links people would like to provide for essential reading, I will read, learn and absorb what I can.
I watch the youtube vids when I can, but I think some may be a bit out of date.

First, THE guide. The dude who wrote this KNOWS his stuff.

Then, a VISUAL guide that just rocks.

Next, THIS guy's awesome tutorial videos.

Those should get you off to a great start. No doubt, YouTube will have similar suggestions for you for videos. There's LOTS of tutorial stuff out there. Some of it IS older, but the basics are still the basics and have been since 2012.

You impune the 'Goyle?! ... Were we not on the same side, Oh t'would be circle of equals time. Alas Clan Jade Falcon can ill afford to lose such an accomplished mechwarrior during these troubled times.

Oh, man. The 'Goyle is a fine LASER brawler. Not TOO incredibly useful on Vitric, tho. The vicious SRM/Ballistic combo brawler is what I mean by 'brawler', and you must admit that it was just not there for Clans until the KDK-SB hit.

And no worries about Clan Jade Falcon losing an accomplished mechwarrior--I doubt I'd even put a scratch on you... ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users