Refitting Pb For More Burst?

11 replies to this topic

#1 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:00 PM

I love my Pirate's Bane, but I'm not a fan of the sustained-fire requirement of the current weapons. I'm looking to refit it so I can pop and bug out. I'm considering the following loadouts:
"Pilot's Brain"
"Baba Ditka"
"Little Joe"
"Don't Lean Right"

What do you guys think? I usually either circle larger mechs (risky and only if the conditions are right) or hit and run. Long range isn't out of the question. I prefer to flank and come in from the rear or sides, and I like grabbing up targets for LRM or just scouting.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 03:57 PM

My Ditka might blow this one out of the park, though I lack it's range.
https://i.ytimg.com/...0/hqdefault.jpg

Ditka won't do burst damage too well. But instant 2 damage has its merits.

#3 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:05 PM

View PostKoniving, on 07 June 2016 - 03:57 PM, said:

My Ditka might blow this one out of the park, though I lack it's range.
https://i.ytimg.com/...0/hqdefault.jpg

Ditka won't do burst damage too well. But instant 2 damage has its merits.

The Baba Ditka? I'm sorry, the "my" is throwing me off.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:10 PM

View PostApsyc, on 07 June 2016 - 04:05 PM, said:

The Baba Ditka? I'm sorry, the "my" is throwing me off.

Mine as shown in the picture is just a Locust 1...c or v. The mg one.
Anyway it's equipped with an AC/5. So 5 damage per cannon shell and as you can see in the picture it looks cool doing it. Mine lacks the range of the Ditka you have linked though.

Ditka is a reference to Dakka.
Defined in this image.
http://orig04.devian...ang-d2ya40k.jpg

#5 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:34 PM

The stock Pirates' Bane can be extremely effective, but only when you've got teammates who are actively trying to fight the enemy. If you have a field full of HideWarriors, you'll be unable to do your job for most of the match.

SO! If you're going to use the Pirates' Bane as a poking light, I'd recommend This Build. You've ditched the machine guns and small lasers for improved poke with four Medium Lasers, and you've got AMS with a half-ton of ammo because you literally can't fit anything else. Or, I guess you could go to Single Heat Sinks or something; you could also do a Poor Man's Laserchicken, but other 'mechs do that much better.

#6 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:11 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 07 June 2016 - 04:34 PM, said:

The stock Pirates' Bane can be extremely effective, but only when you've got teammates who are actively trying to fight the enemy. If you have a field full of HideWarriors, you'll be unable to do your job for most of the match.

SO! If you're going to use the Pirates' Bane as a poking light, I'd recommend This Build. You've ditched the machine guns and small lasers for improved poke with four Medium Lasers, and you've got AMS with a half-ton of ammo because you literally can't fit anything else. Or, I guess you could go to Single Heat Sinks or something; you could also do a Poor Man's Laserchicken, but other 'mechs do that much better.

I'm currently running with this. Being a noob, I'm sure the build has some serious problems. I don't really want to poke, because I'm not quick enough with targeting. With a XL190, I can circle a target. With less I'm limited to passing strafes which for me is fine. Strafes are less damage output, but also more survivability. Especially with an XL170 like I have now.

Edited by Apsyc, 08 June 2016 - 12:12 PM.

#7 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:04 PM

Eh, it's really not bad. You want the max engine, but I've seen worse trade-offs. And, like I was telling someone else the other day, the best builds in MWO are a lot like best-in-slot lists for games like World of Warcraft - they best things are often only the best if you have the rest of the set. In this case, that also includes teammates who act a certain way as well. So, your build is inferior to the one I listed, at my level of play - but if it's working for you now, at the times and level that you play, who cares if mine would work better if you were me? Posted Image Very few builds (I'm looking at you, Atlas LRM Boat) that they shouldn't be used at any level - understand what the meta is and why it works, and be prepared to change your builds and playing style as your combat landscape alters.

That being said, a max-engine build will almost certainly outperform yours if piloted correctly - I'm just saying to take the meta seriously, but with a grain of salt.

The best advice I can give you for Light piloting is this: make sure you are using Throttle Decay. Use Throttle Decay because it allows you to accelerate and decelerate faster compared to having it off - the difference is barely (but still) noticeable in large, slow 'mechs, and very noticeable in Lights. Essentially, if you are not using Throttle Decay, you are not getting the performance your chassis is capable of.

Edited by Void Angel, 08 June 2016 - 08:06 PM.

#8 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:11 PM

I agree with Void, that's far from the worst idea I've seen. Especially for a new player, the pulse laser is much easier to aim. What bothers me is your armor allocation, since you're cheating on STs and making it easier to one-shot you there.

IMO, this or a close modification is the only really serious build for the PB (and I rate it the 4th best LCT, at best, though in lower tiers it's higher because ECM is more important).

#9 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:06 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 08 June 2016 - 08:04 PM, said:

Eh, it's really not bad. You want the max engine, but I've seen worse trade-offs. And, like I was telling someone else the other day, the best builds in MWO are a lot like best-in-slot lists for games like World of Warcraft - they best things are often only the best if you have the rest of the set. In this case, that also includes teammates who act a certain way as well. So, your build is inferior to the one I listed, at my level of play - but if it's working for you now, at the times and level that you play, who cares if mine would work better if you were me? Posted Image Very few builds (I'm looking at you, Atlas LRM Boat) that they shouldn't be used at any level - understand what the meta is and why it works, and be prepared to change your builds and playing style as your combat landscape alters.

That being said, a max-engine build will almost certainly outperform yours if piloted correctly - I'm just saying to take the meta seriously, but with a grain of salt.

The best advice I can give you for Light piloting is this: make sure you are using Throttle Decay. Use Throttle Decay because it allows you to accelerate and decelerate faster compared to having it off - the difference is barely (but still) noticeable in large, slow 'mechs, and very noticeable in Lights. Essentially, if you are not using Throttle Decay, you are not getting the performance your chassis is capable of.

View PostTercieI, on 08 June 2016 - 08:11 PM, said:

I agree with Void, that's far from the worst idea I've seen. Especially for a new player, the pulse laser is much easier to aim. What bothers me is your armor allocation, since you're cheating on STs and making it easier to one-shot you there.

IMO, this or a close modification is the only really serious build for the PB (and I rate it the 4th best LCT, at best, though in lower tiers it's higher because ECM is more important).

Thanks guys. Every little bit of advice like this helps to expand my view on how to use the Mechlab responsibly.

#10 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:49 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 08 June 2016 - 08:04 PM, said:

So Throttle Decay is a setting under...settings. This is all i could find about it.

http://mwomercs.com/...throttle-decay/

well, i found some more...

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 10 June 2016 - 03:51 AM.

#11 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:13 AM

View PostTercieI, on 08 June 2016 - 08:11 PM, said:

A question: how can you run with 1 point of rear armor? When you're trying to get away from the enemy don't you get some shot in the back? I am not a good light pilot but in the light I usually have to run with more armor in the RTs than with an heavy...

#12 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:55 AM

View Postinvernomuto, on 10 June 2016 - 04:13 AM, said:

A question: how can you run with 1 point of rear armor? When you're trying to get away from the enemy don't you get some shot in the back? I am not a good light pilot but in the light I usually have to run with more armor in the RTs than with an heavy...

If you're running away, you should be juking, jiving and hugging cover, not running straight away.

The basic philosophy of armor is this: The game is heavily about good positioning. If you are playing well, you'll still get shot in the front. You get shot in the back primarily when you've made a mistake or are in a hopeless situation (already lost game). It's better to load up on front armor that you'll expect to use than back armor that you'll plan not to. And it becomes a virtuous cycle.

With a fast, poky light, back armor is a waste. I'd run 0 except I don't want to telegraph it.

Edited by TercieI, 10 June 2016 - 04:56 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users