#101 Kaethir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 236 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY, USA

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:33 AM

View PostAggravated Assault Mech, on 14 June 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

I'm still wondering how the devs expect someone to play an Atlas on this map.

I've done it, and been successful. Not very often, and it's hard, but possible.

ECM + Radar Dep D-DC, lots of patience, teammates that are good at distracting without getting killed, and never leaving low ground until you're 400m or less from the enemy. And anybody that tells you you're not sharing armor can go to hell.

#102 MayoSkin

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:08 PM

no cover only concealment, get eaten alive by poptarts and lrms

#103 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:18 PM

Any one else have good games in short ranged mechs on this map?
Coz I do

#104 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 16 June 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

Coz I do

Depends on how fast the mech is and what game mode you're playing. Map is actually fine on Conquest.

#105 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:04 PM

View Postcougurt, on 07 June 2017 - 10:06 PM, said:

AMS should not be necessitated by a map's design, especially when there's no way of knowing which map is going to be played beforehand, or whether the enemy team will even have LRMs. i'm not going to waste precious tonnage on something that may very well be completely useless.

while the hills do provide a small degree of cover, that all goes out the window if even one person happens to spot you, or god forbid you get NARCed.

assuming you're a brawler, sticking with your team usually means that you're just going to be dead weight for at least 75% of the match. you can try to sneak around on your own, but once again, all it takes is a single person spotting you to immediately put an end to that idea. and finally, even if you are able to close the distance, you're going to have a difficult time hitting anything if your weapons are below chest height.

also, the LRM boats will almost always be hanging out with the rest of their team; closing in on them specifically is rarely an option.

Yeah, this 100%. It has nothing to do with not "understanding" the map. I understand the map just fine. If your a brawler, it sucks, if you have low mounted weapons, it sucks. If the enemy team has 2 or more LRM boats, it sucks.

#106 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:21 PM

Okay I'll toss in my worthless opinion on this map with everyone else's:

Polar Highlands is a great map:
Large but can be easily viewed across the entire map.
Lots of small valley's to maneuver around in.
Adequate cover opportunities without being an entire map (effectively) of cover opportunities (HPG, River, Frozen, etc).
Incursion game mode on it is probably the best combination with the new game mode.
While nearly the whole of the map can be viewed from anywhere the valleys still provide all that is needed in order to be able to scout out the map, maneuver the main body to any location, even to break up the main body into two flanking units, etc.

Polar Highlands Sucks:
It simply being a 'cold map' causes it to receive a disproportionately over favored amount of votes and therefore game time.
As few teams these days (pugs I mean of course) know how to 'murderball' getting the whole of the team to merge up into a directable unit is doubly rough on a map where few know how to use the valleys.
**Honestly those are really my only two complaints about this map and if I were to title the section properly it would read: Playerbase on Polar Highlands Sucks **

Polar Highlands I feel like is today's Terra Therma of old. Really great tactical map that the player base will completely ignore and get themselves into a lemming pattern and then complain to PGI that they hate the map.

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 16 June 2017 - 06:18 PM, said:

Coz I do

Same, and most often you and I are against each other lulz. Honestly though it requires mm having been kind enough to give you a team of people who actually know what the meaning of the word PUSH is.

Edited by Bellum Dominum, 18 June 2017 - 09:22 PM.

#107 H i e u

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:40 PM

stupid map

#108 Drakhan

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:53 PM

I dunno if anyone else has seen this bug but I was playing my urbie K-9 on polar and my shadow showed my light bar floating above my head.

#109 The Boneshaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 481 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

View PostDrakhan, on 22 June 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

I dunno if anyone else has seen this bug but I was playing my urbie K-9 on polar and my shadow showed my light bar floating above my head.

I have seen this on just about every map with my missile doors on both my Archer and Catapult.

#110 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

simple solution for Incursion as brawler:
camp the base.
i will never do something else than that anymore on that map with that mode.
in fact i wish i could just jump off a cliff everytime that map shows up.

#111 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:13 PM

Polar is my favorite map and the one that I have the best stats on. I use short and mid-ranged builds. No LRMs amd no Gauss/erPPC. I have been on break for most of the last 7 months but I am returning to the game in August. Please do not mess up Polar in the meantime.

Terra Therma (the new one) is my second most favorite map. Please do not change that one either. Posted Image

#112 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:40 PM

Polar is a good map, more like real Terrain, not a Arena map with many Tactical Position and variations in Assault and Skirmish or Conquest ,Clear View and perfect for Scouting ,and brawl ?! wait of the Rush from the Reds, thats the Job for Brawlers only in Polar ...is nor the Question what The Team or map is doing for You , its the Question what you Doing for the Map and the teamplay .You narcistic and have no Teamplay Skill ? go away and play Singleplayer games..not the Map is thats Problem , its the egomanic View of many "Kids" ..Im have a Big Atlas ,now im wish the Map ,The team for my Playstyle for grinding Rewards and Honor ...Thats the Peoples thats rush alone ,and Cry and whine for the bad Team ...To many "Trumpets" thats use the Team as Metshild

Whine and Cry ...Bad Map for Atlas Pilots thats have more Armor as Tactical Awarness, thats only will Play brawl (Aim and Hit to terrible in more as 10m???) learn to play with Maps and Mechbuilds thats stand in each terrain and can doing the Job (thats like lRM Pilots ,thats nothing doing for the Team and stand far away back with no Backup Weapons or backstanding Sniping Ravens last Stand with 100% Armor and a Dead team)

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 08 July 2017 - 10:04 PM.

#113 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:18 PM

I've started saving multipliers just to beat Polar Highlands.

This map is completely awful and needs additional cover badly.

#114 PJohann

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 52 posts
  • LocationSoviet Union

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:43 AM

Nice balanced map with lots of cover for skilled players. /s

Spoiler

I survived under lrm rain just a tad longer only because it was domination and i used dish as a giant umbrella. Everyone else just got deleted from existence in seconds after they got exposed or spotted.

#115 7VWIuV

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:21 PM

Team with more LRMs = win. Check your database, PGI.

Edited by 7VWIuV, 10 July 2017 - 07:24 PM.

#116 7VWIuV

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:45 PM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 08 July 2017 - 09:40 PM, said:

Polar is a good map, more like real Terrain, not a Arena map with many Tactical Position and variations in Assault and Skirmish or Conquest ,Clear View and perfect for Scouting ,and brawl ?! wait of the Rush from the Reds, thats the Job for Brawlers only in Polar ...is nor the Question what The Team or map is doing for You , its the Question what you Doing for the Map and the teamplay .You narcistic and have no Teamplay Skill ? go away and play Singleplayer games..not the Map is thats Problem , its the egomanic View of many "Kids" ..Im have a Big Atlas ,now im wish the Map ,The team for my Playstyle for grinding Rewards and Honor ...Thats the Peoples thats rush alone ,and Cry and whine for the bad Team ...To many "Trumpets" thats use the Team as Metshild

Whine and Cry ...Bad Map for Atlas Pilots thats have more Armor as Tactical Awarness, thats only will Play brawl (Aim and Hit to terrible in more as 10m???) learn to play with Maps and Mechbuilds thats stand in each terrain and can doing the Job (thats like lRM Pilots ,thats nothing doing for the Team and stand far away back with no Backup Weapons or backstanding Sniping Ravens last Stand with 100% Armor and a Dead team)

It's impossible to brawl in this map unless you're playing conquest because once you're engaged with the enemy all his friends can LRM you to death. LRMs aren't a total bad weapon system, mind you, but the way they are used in this map: with no defense other than specific loadout for it, plus zero risk to the attackers, it is just awful.
BTW, you can't take tactics away from Mechwarrior. Optimal range, formation, mindful positioning based on terrain. And all that because the original game where MW came from, Battletech, is a pure tactical game. Nonetheless, if the point is having more realism then let everyone pick the loadout once the map is chosen. No sane pilot will ever take a brawling mech to a plain.

Edited by 7VWIuV, 10 July 2017 - 07:47 PM.

#117 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:53 PM

Winning is easy, all you need is to get the team with 6-7 AMS and 4 LRM boats of your own. Easy as pie. Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Aggravated Assault Mech, 10 July 2017 - 10:53 PM.

#118 NomNomm

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:07 AM

View Post7VWIuV, on 10 July 2017 - 07:45 PM, said:

It's impossible to brawl in this map unless you're playing conquest because once you're engaged with the enemy all his friends can LRM you to death. LRMs aren't a total bad weapon system, mind you, but the way they are used in this map: with no defense other than specific loadout for it, plus zero risk to the attackers, it is just awful.
BTW, you can't take tactics away from Mechwarrior. Optimal range, formation, mindful positioning based on terrain. And all that because the original game where MW came from, Battletech, is a pure tactical game. Nonetheless, if the point is having more realism then let everyone pick the loadout once the map is chosen. No sane pilot will ever take a brawling mech to a plain.

He said it all. I wouldn't cry if we could pick our mech after the map selection. But nope, every time Polar highlands appears in map selection screen I know that I'm **ed because I'm brawler.

#119 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:13 AM

View Post7VWIuV, on 10 July 2017 - 07:45 PM, said:

It's impossible to brawl in this map unless you're playing conquest because once you're engaged with the enemy all his friends can LRM you to death.

Previously posts and threads have given advice about playing short ranged mechs on Polar. It is indeed possible to brawl.

I call this, "Show me on Polar, where the brawl Mech touched you"
Mech P0rn Director OZHomerOZ

Spoiler

Notice how I use cover.

Edit: Remember the grids with good cover and use them as part of your battle plan

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 11 July 2017 - 08:18 PM.

#120 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:52 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 11 July 2017 - 08:13 AM, said:

Previously posts and threads have given advice about playing short ranged mechs on Polar. It is indeed possible to brawl.

I call this, "Show me on Polar, where the brawl Mech touched you"
Mech P0rn Director OZHomerOZ

Spoiler

Notice how I use cover.

No offense, but posting a video of beating a badly-coordinated enemy team that's also trying to brawl, with probably 30 lrms across the entire team doesn't really prove anything.

Yeah, the map is basically fine if both teams have limited amounts of LRMs, but that isn't how it works- LRMs have been buffed and LRM boats will always vote for Polar. If you're getting Polar over HPG/Tourmaline/Grim, it's because you're about to drop into LRM hell.

It's easy to brawl when the other team wants to play your game, it's another thing entirely when there are 2-3 dedicated boats on the enemy team and getting hard spotted for 10 seconds can mean 200+ damage from LRMs. How's the "cover" work if someone brings a NARC? You're literally dead 100-0.

Because of how strong LRMs are, and how wide the open spaces are, and how low the cover is, the slower and taller you are, the more unforgiving the map is- much more so than any other map.

Edited by Aggravated Assault Mech, 11 July 2017 - 12:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users