First Shot Crits?

22 replies to this topic

#1 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:47 PM

What are the chances of a first hit burning 50 pts or armor and taking out the RT? Within about 60 second of a match starting I took a front hit to my RT (which has the 50 pts of armor) that also took out both of my UAC/5's. I'm pretty peeved because that was game for me since those are my primaries. Especially because all contacts were to my left.

#2 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:54 PM

The odds are literally incalculable, because they vary by your opponents and their positions, none of which can really be verified and caluclated.

#3 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:58 PM

But overall, depending on who you walked out in front of - they're pretty good. All it takes is a couple of players with high-alpha laser vomit builds (the Black Knight comes to mind) who realize that you're carrying a lot of hardpoints on that right side.

#4 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:59 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 10 June 2016 - 03:54 PM, said:

The odds are literally incalculable, because they vary by your opponents and their positions, none of which can really be verified and caluclated.

Well I'm not looking for a statistician's analysis lol. I mean, one shot would have to do 50 pts of damage, plus whatever the UAC/5's have. The only thing I can think of with that kind of power is a Dire Wolf with quad gauss. But I was in all of their assaults were out of LOS Posted Image
And they were to my left and at least 1000 out still. So even if he could have seen me he would have to land a shot on a target only a few pixels wide. I'm wondering if it's a server glitch because I can't imagine such a shot being within human ability. Unless I was friendly fired...

My rear armor was only 6 points, but we had just started so I wasn't flanked. And the hit indicator showed damage from front. Maybe it was friendly fire!

Edited by Apsyc, 10 June 2016 - 04:01 PM.

#5 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:03 PM

I have more than a couple builds that could do that.
Also, did you have an ammo explosion?

#6 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,668 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:22 PM

Without video or such it is impossible to say. Of course your rear RT could have been taken out. Remember, hitting armor does not generate a crit, it is hitting internal structure (unless something serious has changed Posted Image ). And a light to the rear can do some serious damage on unsuspecting targets. And if you did have ammo in the RT too, all it takes is 1 crit to that ammo then a dice roll on whether or not the ammo explodes.

As noted, it could easily have been a fast light that got the your team's rear and nailed you. Many players front load their armor, leaving 10 or less points on the rear.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 10 June 2016 - 04:26 PM.

#7 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:02 PM

View PostApsyc, on 10 June 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

Well I'm not looking for a statistician's analysis lol. I mean, one shot would have to do 50 pts of damage, plus whatever the UAC/5's have.

Not quite. Critical damage is entirely independent of structure damage - two normal crits from a Gauss Rifle, PPC, or AC/10, or even an AC 5 with a high enough crit multiplier could have destroyed your autocannons, so long as even a fraction of a point of their damage penetrated your armor.

#8 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,668 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:36 PM

And talking about lights, I have been in a few drops where, within the first 1-2 minutes of game, at least one person would pipe off about friendly fire. Both sad and hilarious at the same time, one drop I had noted had anyone seen any lights on the far flanks/rear? I had already torso twisted to look around and glimpsed a locust to our rear as it briefly crested a hump in the terrain, fired at me then skedaddled away, but only after it left its right arm on the ground (terrain blocked the legs).

I wished we had the ability to target our teammates to see more damage detail.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 10 June 2016 - 05:37 PM.

#9 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:44 PM

I remember one story told on the forums, where an ECM Light popped out behind the enemy team, shot the next to last guy in the back, and hid again. The guy turned around, sorta glared at his teammate, and turned back around - at which point the Light popped out and shot him again. This time he turned around and shot his teammate to death - the Light driver said he was laughing so hard, he could hardly pilot his 'mech.

#10 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:49 PM

View PostApsyc, on 10 June 2016 - 03:47 PM, said:

What are the chances of a first hit burning 50 pts or armor and taking out the RT? Within about 60 second of a match starting I took a front hit to my RT (which has the 50 pts of armor) that also took out both of my UAC/5's. I'm pretty peeved because that was game for me since those are my primaries. Especially because all contacts were to my left.

any high alpha laserdrill build can do that. since they are damage ticks. the early ticks burn through the armor while the later ticks crit the internals. more than plausible to blow out a side torso.

I've OHKO a fresh XL Victor before with a 66 point laser alpha to the side torso

depending on the chasis and how you torso twist, your opposite side torso can be more more exposed

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:50 PM

6 er medium lasers can do 42 damage in one go from a single user. Add in another or two at risk of ghost heat and yeah definitely more than 50 is possible. If you did not see the hit then it is more likely you got pelted by numerous autocannons. Was there shake? Even a little? If so AC's and possibly a lag hiccup which would make it seem instant.

Marauder or dire wolf come to mind.
At that range, someone with twin or quad.... hah.

Got it! Quad Gauss Direcow. With a macro you can nail all four within 1.5 seconds or slightly less. That would be 60 damage, so fast you wouldn't even see it except the sparks, and if any of the four did a single crit it would instantly destroy something and they can triple crit

Edited by Koniving, 10 June 2016 - 05:51 PM.

#12 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:18 PM

Could have been as simple as a LLas light sniper build hitting you from a rear flanking position, hitting rear ST armor, punching thru and getting a crit on ammo then it would chain thru any more ammo on that side and the AC5's. Poof no more side.

#13 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:19 PM

Also I cant tell you how many times Ive been getting hit hit but no sound or red hit indicators.
You sure you werent already lit up?

#14 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:33 AM

60ish seconds in it really depends on the map and what you were driving. If in an assault on Polar Highlands I'd say it had to be either an enemy light from your rear or a friendly. On Frozen City however it could have easily been a quad gauss Direwolf.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 01:50 AM

Lot of people just aren't reading the poor guys post. It's only 60 seconds into the match. I know some maps start players way too close but I don't think any start players THAT close.

Destroying front armor and not the side torso, meaning no rear shots and no time for enemies to get behind him.

He said enemies and shots came from his forward (Forward) left (contacts left and seen by allies and himself to be aware of them) and hit his front right (Front), removing all 50 units of front right St armor and critical -hitting his two uac 5s and destroying them without losing the side torso.

On this case a lot of these possible weapon suggestions aren't applicable.
AC spam going unnoticed at first or some laser vomit were very unlikely in this circumstance too. Quad Gauss though even at 1,000 meters could do this like *snaps* that. At 660 or less, it'd probably rip his torso off too.

Edited by Koniving, 11 June 2016 - 01:58 AM.

#16 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 June 2016 - 02:05 AM

View PostApsyc, on 10 June 2016 - 03:47 PM, said:

What map were you on and what weapons caused damage?

A single hit taking you down with 50 points of front armor means it had to be at least a 60 point alpha strike, that could trigger an ammo explosion which would take out your torso and any weapons it contained.

on the majority of maps it is very possible for the 2 teams to have contact within the first minute, if you were in group queue a lance of enemies could all shoot you and it could look like a single shooter, in solo queue that is far less likely.

there are plenty of Heavy and Assault Mechs which can have a 60+ point alpha strike, and there is even a Light Mech able to have a 72 point alpha strike while moving faster than 150 (if it is pilot is willing to have minimal armor or ammo)

#17 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,668 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:08 AM

Without video or screenshots nothing is really clear, though.

He said about 60 seconds but that could be any time at the start of the match, nor has he provided any additional information such as what map nor mech. With about 50pts of front armor and 6pts to the rear it the mech was at least a 60-tonner, but nothing with 2 ballistics for IS until 70-tons w/Blackwidow (warhammer), or an orion or marauder @ 75tons. So he was running light armor in the torso area with a STD engine. Or else he was running Clan mech such as a Hellbringer @65tons or a heavier Clan mech.

My rear armor was only 6 points, but we had just started so I wasn't flanked. And the hit indicator showed damage from front. Maybe it was friendly fire!

He assumed, since it was within a minute or two at the start of the match, he was not flanked. The damage indicator is not enough, as it can be confusing at times on whether it is the armor or internal structure damage, especially if the outline is not noticed.

http://mwo.gamepedia.com/Mech_Manual

Posted Image

Gauss Rifle optimal range w/15dmg is 660m w/o modules/quirks, with damage falling off through max range (unless something seriously has changed). To do full damage at or near 1K the mech would need total 50% Gauss/ballistic range quirk/module. The OP posted that the enemy approx 1000m away to the left, that he saw. If a light to the rear, 6pts of rear armor gone and it is drilling into the internal structure with one alpha and moving on before it is seen.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 11 June 2016 - 06:10 AM.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:22 AM

Gauss and AC/2 have 3x range dropoff instead of 2x. At 1.515 out of 3x range or 1,000 meters is 7.57 damage per Gauss. That's about 30.28 in the exageeration of being able to do it in 1,000 meters. But at 800 it would still be more than enough.

Mechs are detected to the left due to contacts, meaning they must be within 800 meters of someone. He is fairly new so unlikely to have advanced sensors among him and others, BAP is a possibility though.

Edited by Koniving, 11 June 2016 - 07:31 AM.

#19 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:31 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 11 June 2016 - 02:05 AM, said:

What map were you on and what weapons caused damage?

A single hit taking you down with 50 points of front armor means it had to be at least a 60 point alpha strike, that could trigger an ammo explosion which would take out your torso and any weapons it contained.

on the majority of maps it is very possible for the 2 teams to have contact within the first minute, if you were in group queue a lance of enemies could all shoot you and it could look like a single shooter, in solo queue that is far less likely.

there are plenty of Heavy and Assault Mechs which can have a 60+ point alpha strike, and there is even a Light Mech able to have a 72 point alpha strike while moving faster than 150 (if it is pilot is willing to have minimal armor or ammo)

Polar Highlands, and I never caught what weapons did it.

View PostBoogie138, on 10 June 2016 - 04:03 PM, said:

I have more than a couple builds that could do that.
Also, did you have an ammo explosion?

No, all of my ammo is in my CT, Head, and Legs.

View PostBoogie138, on 10 June 2016 - 07:19 PM, said:

Also I cant tell you how many times Ive been getting hit hit but no sound or red hit indicators.
You sure you werent already lit up?

It's possible, but unlikely. I was in a trench with no LoS. Maybe it was delayed chunk damage from lag?

#20 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:37 AM

If it was Polar then here is what is most likely to least likely

- if it was within a minute it more than likely was a team member. Again, sometimes hit registration is odd. Shots coming from one side register on the other etc etc
- you are factually mistaken about something
- hax (very very unlikely)

Edited by Boogie138, 11 June 2016 - 09:38 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users