Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

View PostAdridos, on 17 July 2012 - 08:23 AM, said:

You're a Kuritan... paint it red (who gets the refference?). :P

Da red wunz go fasta!

#42 TizZ

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:57 PM

I want to know whether we get to put our own symbols or idents on our mechs ? anybody know what they are planning for this if anything ?

#43 Rayspace

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 191 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

View PostUri Brauer, on 16 July 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

> there are almost no circumstances where a backwards facing hardpoint would be better.
No? How about, you're in a slowpoke Atlas and there's a bouncy little Jenner behind you. I'd really like a rear-facing hardpoint or two for that situation.

> How do you aim it?
Swap to rear view, fire rear weapons, swap to front view.

> How do we make it clear what does what?
A different colour? The letter "R"? Only have rear weapons available when the rear view is active, and vice versa?

> Does it fire forward or back?
That... is an odd question. I'll venture... back?

[EDIT] Hmm... from comments elsewhere, it seems that Garth's answer is just flim-flam covering the fact that this is a weakness of CryEngine3... and they can't do it. Which would have been a much better answer to the question...

I doubt they are unable to do it. I think more along these lines.

Rear facing weapons give slow mechs their own defense mechanism. The Devs have repeatedly stated that every size mech will be useful in the game. One of the ways to make a light mech more useful is to do away with rear facing weapons loadouts. It is simply a balancing issue. I myself do not think we can complain too much about that since they have already doubled armor to give the battles more length.

The point of the Atlas getting back shot by the Jenner mentioned above is that the Atlas should have team mates to shoot that Jenner off him. If the Atlas is the last mech standing then he will need to get his back up against a wall somwhere to force the Jenner to come out and play. This is all simple stuff guys.

The Devs have stated over and over that they want the little mechs to be useful and to have roles. If we have rear firing weapons that makes one more reason to ignore the smaller mechs in favor of giant weapons platforms. The rear view concept you expressed is perfectly doable it just doesn't provide the balance they are looking for.

#44 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

> there are almost no circumstances where a backwards facing hardpoint would be better.
No? How about, you're in a slowpoke Atlas and there's a bouncy little Jenner behind you. I'd really like a rear-facing hardpoint or two for that situation.

> How do you aim it?
Swap to rear view, fire rear weapons, swap to front view.

> How do we make it clear what does what?
A different colour? The letter "R"? Only have rear weapons available when the rear view is active, and vice versa?

> Does it fire forward or back?
That... is an odd question. I'll venture... back?

[EDIT] Hmm... from comments elsewhere, it seems that Garth's answer is just flim-flam covering the fact that this is a weakness of CryEngine3... and they can't do it. Which would have been a much better answer to the question...

So you use rearview, and turn 'left' - does the laser turn, or does the 'Mech? Does it turn left (from your rear view) or right (from the cockpit of the 'Mech?) Is it a turret, or stationary? If it's stationary, how does that solve the problem of tracking faster 'Mechs?

#45 ThinkTank

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 396 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

yeah, what he said.

*fanboy mode off*

#46 SCAR ed

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

nice objections Garth, though, it would help a slow turning Atlas (or Stalker, ...) to be able to get the little nasty Jenner/Commando into its reticle just twice while the little on circles him.

as for the question turrets/fixed weapon: well, how i it solved for forward firing torso weapons? are they completly fixed and the whole torso has to be moved?

I think, some testing would be good, bt I am convinced, you already HAVE put quite some efforts into this topic. because rear firing weapons are a strong point in tabletop BT.

#47 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:50 AM

View PostAzureHydra, on 16 July 2012 - 09:42 AM, said:

Cars today have a rear view camera. They could just add a rear view camera as one of the cockpit monitors and have a button like...i don't know, hold down left shift to switch to the rear reticle. You will just have to do all the aiming and viewing through that rear view monitor. (The aiming would be the same as the front aiming because the camera can flip the image to make sure your cursor moves the right way.)

rear view cameras are unfortunately Lostech. :lol:

#48 DaveFromAbove

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:52 AM

Appreciate all the input from the Devs so much! This may have been already addressed elsewhere but I cannot find the answer. Does anyone know if they have announced if the game will be playable in windowed mode?

#49 Stringfellow

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 18 July 2012 - 03:50 AM, said:

rear view cameras are unfortunately Lostech. :P

Well, rear mounted weapons would likely be automatic, right? So you'd just paint targets on a minimap and the computer would shoot everything. With that in there, why not have that for all weapons. Suddenly it becomes a spiced up version of Battleship.... I think this one falls under "keep the universe cool and warrior-like" category :P

While it might tickle some peoples fancy, a technical simulation of any warmachine is well, technical. I've played a decent bit of flight sims like IL-2, Lock-On, Falcon and while I sure enjoy that kind of thing, it's all very technical and performance oriented. Precision and patience is the order of the day for that kind of game, and I'm thinking that isn't the direction MWO seems to be taking. Hell, Arma 2 is all about patience and precision too, I guess that's what 'realism' is all about.

/tangentical rant mode off

#50 Hellshiver

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationYuma, AZ

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

View PostWardenWolf, on 16 July 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

... just no capture the flag please (unless you can give me a darn good reason to risk my multi-million-cbill mech on a friking flag).

Solaris 7

On-topic, Love the staying true to TTop.

More so, I love the Admins answering questions. Thanks in advance Admins/Devs for the upcomming fun. ^.^

#51 Arguss10

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 80 posts
  • LocationPerth , Western Australia

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:58 AM

PPC damage in the game seems very soft when damaging a mech. The awesome seems more powerful when you swap out the ppc's for large lasers instead. I thought the ppc were one of the most powerful weapons on the field ?.

#52 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:10 AM

@Arguss10,

This is not the BETA forum; discussing the current state of the game on this public forum violates the NDA...

#53 Banekane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Locationohio usa

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

View PostScouten, on 16 July 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

You Silly! everyone knows that painting it Red makes it go faster it has nothing to do with fire :(

oh god CTF would be brutal tons of light mechs dashing around

and a pair of big assult mech guarding the flags lol

edit: i see a varient of CTF that would work beter is capture the zones team with most zones at end of battle wins

Edited by Banekane, 25 August 2012 - 05:12 PM.

#54 Joe Mugg

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9 posts
  • LocationAtlanta Ga.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:42 AM

Will here ever be a posibility of a Linux client? I run dual boot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users