Battletech-Mechwarrior favorite books

41 replies to this topic

#21 Alexander Fury

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 174 posts
  • LocationCanada, So expect permanent winter camo.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

View PostDysentery, on 26 July 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

Gentlemen,

I have no favorite as I have never read a book from the Battletech universe. Would you guys have a book or book series that you would recommend I start with? I have read the wikki and while I have a shakey understanding of the historical order, I would prefer to lobby for personal preference before beginning...

Yes. The first series was the Grey Death Legion Trilogy. Its pre-invasion story line and it will help you familiarize yourself with the cheif concepts of the B-Tech universe.

#22 SHtabeL

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

Sorry for bad English.
Now I with pleasure re-read books Christopher Kubasik's "Ideal War" and Jim Long's "Main Event". Story about mechwarriors from Solaris VII is very interesting. Of course, after this books I wanna be Marik's khight.
And, course, Battletech change our country (Russia) is very strong in 90-x years. And, it's good, i think.
----------
Простите за плохой Английский.
Сейчас я с удовольствием перечитываю книги Кристофера Кубасика "Идеальная война" и Джима Лонга "Основное событие". История о водителях с Соляриса 7 очень интересно. Конечно, после эти книг хочется стать рыцарем Марика.
И, естественно, Battletech изменил нашу страну (Россия) очень сильно в девяностых. И, я считаю, это хорошо.

#23 stric8

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

More importantly where can I find them I used to have up to Star Lord I think till my rotten family gave them to Hailey Joel Osmond. I have only been able to find one of the new ones and it was about everyones kids I miss my Kai Allard Liao

#24 LaKaT

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:15 PM

View PostLaKaT, on 27 July 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

I'm a big fan also but not much of a reader, So who could help me find the series of books/ The plot goes like this mech warrior shot down by clan as a slave rises up in rank as a clan member. At a parralel time all the houses gather to clan space and ends up destroying the clans while sister at home causing unrest while brothers away.???

I found the answer to My question the Name of the Novel is Freebirth the best battleteck book. Can someone tell me if this was part of a series?

#25 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

Far Country :).

#26 Keifleaf

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:34 PM

Freebirth is Twilight of the Clans IV and one of my favorite books, since it is centered on Horse.
I loved Way of the Clans growing up, never got to finish that trilogy until after reading all of Thurston's books that came after it. So finally finding out how Aidan went down after years of seeing how famous he was was a werid way to read the series.
I read some of Stackpole, but lived off of anything by Robert Thurston.

#27 TANTE EMMA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 531 posts
  • LocationTANTE EMMAS LADEN

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

Stackpole all the Way.

- Blood of Kerensky
- Bred of War
- Warrior Triology (En Garde / Riposte / Coupé

#28 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts
  • LocationDr Dude, Dr Mom.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

Main Event by far was my favorite of the novels. Solaris VII arena matches? Check., Comstars struggle against the clans on Tukayyid? Check. A fight against the Dragoons on outreach that proves that the Dragoons are dirty cheats? Check. A clan scout mech being punched to death by my favorite assault mech? Double Check.

Its like a Bacon-mint icecream beer! So many flavors thrown together and they're all soo yummy.

#29 Draco Argentus

• PipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 38 posts
  • LocationLast seen near the Periphery. . .

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:54 PM

I like the Archer Cristifori story arc, and the Caballeros arc as well. . .

The GDL will always be my favorite Merc unit - mainly because Grayson Carlysle seems like a Real Person (plus, he drives a Marauder).

#30 tekka

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationAUSTRALIA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

Ok now i like the sound fo this thread

1) main event ( just finished reading) was well and truely drawn into the books loved alot of aspects to the book
2) natural selection another great read

i did have a massive collection but when you spilt from you partner that takes everythign, well i am re-starting my collection again

#31 G is for Gamma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 418 posts
  • LocationDr Dude, Dr Mom.

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:37 PM

View Posttekka, on 15 August 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

1) main event ( just finished reading) was well and truely drawn into the books loved alot of aspects to the book

i did have a massive collection but when you spilt from you partner that takes everythign, well i am re-starting my collection again

If you liked main event Tek, you should look into DRT. It follows the story of the Black Roses as they strike out against the clans. Its pretty rad.

#32 tekka

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationAUSTRALIA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

View Posttekka, on 15 August 2012 - 10:28 PM, said:

don't you black thorn's, and ty was just looking at that one at a second hand book store on the way home from work last night, might grab it on the way home tonight,

i will say i am not liking the mechwarrior dark age saga red the first book the other day was not that impressed by it oh well hope the rest of that seris is good

#33 Nuisance

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

I liked the Grey Death Saga, Black Thorns Saga, and the books written by Stackpole. Of the Grey Death Saga I prefered the first three. Michael A. Stakpole is just flat out a good writer. I just wish they would come out with the e-book formats so that I can buy them again instead of having to try and locate my old paperback copies.

#34 tekka

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationAUSTRALIA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

View PostNuisance, on 16 August 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

I liked the Grey Death Saga, Black Thorns Saga, and the books written by Stackpole. Of the Grey Death Saga I prefered the first three. Michael A. Stakpole is just flat out a good writer. I just wish they would come out with the e-book formats so that I can buy them again instead of having to try and locate my old paperback copies.

theres a place on the web called amazaon.com they ebooks there esp the battltech series for the kindle ipad and what have u fyi

#35 Brian the Bold

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMissouri, USA

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

I have all the books up to the start of dark age. my Favorite is Main Event and D.R.T. I was websurfing erlier tonight and ran across a reference and i have looked everywhere i can metaserch. Their is sopposedly a 3rd black thorn novel. Black Thorn Blues. I can not find it anywhere though, anybody else ran across this?

#36 Maniac Paul

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:51 PM

View PostSephlock, on 13 August 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

Far Country :).

Someone had to say that. ICK! (and that's being PC - I didn't like when they were thinking the clans were a different species - this book was worthy of burning)

As for all the others, anything that was published originally by FASA (3 Grey Death, 3 Warrior, Heir to the Dragon and Wolves on the Border) are the perfect starting point. Then the last 3 FASA novels with the clan invasion would bring you totally up to speed where we are LORE wise in this universe.

#37 Jonathan Strange

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNE Ohio

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:41 AM

The only book I have is The Scorpion Jar, but never read it... The Amazon reviews seem positive on it, so I might give it a go... anyone want to chime in on that one before I set down to read it... the Warrior Trilogy everyone seems to rant about seems hard to get (at least the first book).

#38 Jonas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHot Springs Ar.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

The first Battle Tech Novel in fact the first novel I ever read was the last book in the Grey Death Legion. I quickly back tracked the other to in the series then just finding what ever I could in the book stores. I would love to find all those books again.

#39 Thomas Covenant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOn an adventure.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Is there any book that is pretty much happening right now?

Edited by Thomas Covenant, 26 November 2012 - 04:08 PM.

#40 Krolabar

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

Hi all, new here, but avid Battletech player and reader.
I have every novel and I agree that Michael Stackpole is a fantastic author, however, The Sword and the Dagger is an OUTSTANDING novel and if you get the chance, I suggest you read it.

It is ultra rare though.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users