Might Not Stick Around

21 replies to this topic

#1 NTrippy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:00 PM

For the past week, I've been getting railed; constantly stuck on teams that can't even manage to focus fire. With just under half a match to go, I'm the last one left, and they have more than half of their team still standing. Honestly, I don't know why this stacking is happening, and I can't take a whole team on my own in just a Locust. It's just not gonna happen. Not to mention the new minimap is just god-awful. I mean, what was wrong with it anyway? It's useless to me now, since it's zoomed out to far to provide detail. But the map is simply misfortune. Getting stacked with a bunch of monkeys versus a team of professionals is making this unplayable. So unless the pattern changes back, I'm not going to waste my time.

For clarification, I'm referring to Quickplay. I don't really know how the Faction system works yet, so I haven't touched it. Also, I'm not having trouble playing. I usually deal 300-600 points of damage per match (provided I don't do something stupid). The trouble is the teams I'm matched with. No focus fire, no locking, no use of cover, terrible aim, constant disregard for heat... just overall shoddy play. Now I don't expect anything complex, but just doing those few things (well, aim takes practice so omit that) does wonders. I'm new and I understand those concepts, and up until now most of the team did (or at least enough to lead by example). But now I only see one or two other people who are not playing with their head planted firmly up their posterior. But the other team gets it. I don't mind losing, I just can stand 9/10 matches being a 1 vs 8 wipe. That's not fun.

Edited by Apsyc, 22 June 2016 - 01:42 PM.

#2 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 21 June 2016 - 05:25 PM

Min map is getting a hot fix man. russ posted about it it on twitter. No time line, just soon. Will be zoomed in more.

Find a team to drop with it does help alot.

Locusts are a tough mech to swing a game in. Just not alot of raw firepower there to exploit. Switch to a larger chassis if you can.

Try taking a break, maybe? I only play about 2 out of 4 weeks, especially if I start to feel frustrated. Or sometimes when I feel I am getting really mismatched teams I fool around in the mechlab for 10 mins or so and then Q up again. Seems to help.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:01 PM

Truth be told, even though I'm on the forum pretty much daily,I might play 2 out of every 7 days. Part of it is just being busy. It can really start to get to you if you play it too often.

Wonder if PGI would put this into the game? Probably not.

But in essence, don't play "too much." Knock out an hour or two, or in some cases maybe 10-12 matches.

----------

Far as the map, truth be told I don't rely on it so I don't have much problem with it. I did give suggestions to zoom in and have a toggle for 'rotate with you' and 'static'.

Popping the battlegrid open with B and zooming is handy if you need to use it.

#4 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:08 PM

I find that if I switch mechs sometimes I do better in them and/or get matched with a better team. I guess maybe some days I'm in a light mood and other days I'm in an assault mood.

Generally the way I work it is that if I am getting frustrated because, for example, our assaults aren't staying together or aren't pushing when I think they should I'll drive an assault so that I can help fix the problem. I think you get the idea.

#5 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,950 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 21 June 2016 - 08:27 PM

Back in the Day, I loved Everquest. It was a ton of fun, and despite the flaws that eventually drove me from the game for greener pastures, I have tons of great memories of my time there. Yet at the height of my stay there, I'd get periods of apathy; times that it just felt like work to try and get another group together - and never mind trying to convince people that a tank, a shaman, and 4 melee dps was a great group for the plane of Justice...

My solution to this was to just step away. I didn't have any raiding commitments, so I'd just go play Half-Life, or Starcraft, or whatever else happened to strike my fancy - until I started to miss EQ again. That's what you should do. You're getting burned out, feeling like all your team every day is comprised of crash-helmeted monkey children hell-bent on being stupid, and you're trying to gut it out and be a game-changer in a Locust, of all things! You need a break; step off, smell the roses, mess around with other games, and come back when you feel like you miss your Battlemechs.

#6 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:10 PM

Shoot me a Pm if you want to drop with a more organized bunch.

#7 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:17 PM

Hotfix is coming soon for minimap issue, but in the meantime remember everyone else is just as handicapped as you are when it comes to the minimap so no one is getting an unfair advantage here.

Sometimes you just have bad luck with the match maker, I've had win streaks and lose streaks plenty of times before. Playing a light mech makes it feel even worse though because you can get one shotted and not do a lot of damage (sometimes you're really effective, but if you get shutdown early because of bad positioning or rotten luck it sucks). Playing a heavier mech will make this seem less severe since you might get a few kills before you go down (won't change your win rate though), and you don't get instakilled (unless some damn gauss rifle sniper is blowing your head off every match).

TLDR: try out a heavier mech class.

#8 Evilwallofdeath

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:34 PM

LOCUST LCT-1V: KD 1.39
LOCUST LCT-3M: KD 1.28
LOCUST LCT-3S: KD 1.17

These are my Locust Stats, I seem to do alright. And you can too!

Edited by Evilwallofdeath, 21 June 2016 - 10:37 PM.

#9 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:57 AM

View PostApsyc, on 21 June 2016 - 05:00 PM, said:

For the past week, I've been getting railed; constantly stuck on teams that can't even manage to focus fire. With just under half a match to go, I'm the last one left, and they have more than half of their team still standing. Honestly, I don't know why this stacking is happening, and I can't take a whole team on my own in just a Locust. It's just not gonna happen. Not to mention the new minimap is just god-awful. I mean, what was wrong with it anyway? It's useless to me now, since it's zoomed out to far to provide detail. But the map is simply misfortune. Getting stacked with a bunch of monkeys versus a team of professionals is making this unplayable. So unless the pattern changes back, I'm not going to waste my time.

The PSR matchmaking system is falling apart as more and more people progress. It worked well at the start when the good players progressed quickly. But since the system trends upwards, more and more players are bunched up in the upper Tiers even though they may have very different skill levels.

The Tiers need a reset or we need a true MMR system to help matchmaking, cause eventually everyone will be Tier 1

#10 Mechwarrior7226071

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:51 AM

View PostEvilwallofdeath, on 21 June 2016 - 10:34 PM, said:

LOCUST LCT-1V: KD 1.39
LOCUST LCT-3M: KD 1.28
LOCUST LCT-3S: KD 1.17

These are my Locust Stats, I seem to do alright. And you can too!

you are not new. OP is.

#11 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:14 AM

View Postknightsljx, on 22 June 2016 - 12:57 AM, said:

The PSR matchmaking system is falling apart as more and more people progress. It worked well at the start when the good players progressed quickly. But since the system trends upwards, more and more players are bunched up in the upper Tiers even though they may have very different skill levels.

The Tiers need a reset or we need a true MMR system to help matchmaking, cause eventually everyone will be Tier 1

I dunno.
To me it feels like more T4's are becoming T3's and playing against T1 for the first time.
Going to T1 isn't automatic for all, I know pilots who hit their equilibrium at a certain tier.

I think I know what the op means
Like wen you and 3 team mates round a corner and see a lone mech at close range.
You start shooting.
two of your three buddies have fled, type of thing

Can be frustrating when your accustomed to that target being vapourized in 3 seconds playing with your own tier dudes you know.

So you have to adjust

What I do is stop taking the initiative, stop being the hero, stop taking risks and I start using my team mates as shields

The streets made me do it. THE STREETS DAW

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 22 June 2016 - 03:18 AM.

#12 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:40 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 22 June 2016 - 03:14 AM, said:

I dunno.
To me it feels like more T4's are becoming T3's and playing against T1 for the first time.
Going to T1 isn't automatic for all, I know pilots who hit their equilibrium at a certain tier.

I think I know what the op means
Like wen you and 3 team mates round a corner and see a lone mech at close range.
You start shooting.
two of your three buddies have fled, type of thing

Can be frustrating when your accustomed to that target being vapourized in 3 seconds playing with your own tier dudes you know.

So you have to adjust

What I do is stop taking the initiative, stop being the hero, stop taking risks and I start using my team mates as shields

The streets made me do it. THE STREETS DAW

Yeah, I've noticed that I do better when I don't try to play smart by being tactical or going after objectives. Instead if I just stick in the middle of my team and shoot at targets of opportunity I have better matches. The team is still gonna be stupid and it doesn't help my win ratio but I tend to get both decent damage and match scores.

Still, not sure that will help you in a locust. But for mediums and up it is a valid tactic.

Edited by Chryckan, 22 June 2016 - 03:41 AM.

#13 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:05 AM

pretty much it
lemonade from lemon match
Helps with the blood pressure

#14 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:08 AM

find a unit and people willingly to train you and play with. Team PvP games are bets played in such

#15 kyfire

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:25 AM

What I', seeing is the, "Every man for himself mentality" right now because of the Summer Solstice tourney. Things should get better once it's over.

#16 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:40 AM

View Postkyfire, on 22 June 2016 - 06:25 AM, said:

What I', seeing is the, "Every man for himself mentality" right now because of the Summer Solstice tourney. Things should get better once it's over.

Sad but true. The thing is people seem to forget sometimes that the team doing well usually means better individual scores as well.

#17 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:21 AM

Come try out with MercStar, man. Give us a shot.

#18 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:29 AM

Yeah, the event - well all events really - tends to drive people into their best mech, solo running.
I confess I'm guilty of it as is the rest of my lance (sorry Lady D for not grouping last night! We'll get back to it soon :) )

I will say, even though I tend to play solo during an event I still do my damnedest to support the team and win and don't play selfishly. It's more avoiding the premades and hanging in my Tier kinda thing. ;)

#19 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:35 AM

Are you talking Quick Play or Faction Warfare?

#20 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:31 AM

Group drops are way different then PUG drops. Is there a skill difference or is it how you work together? The team work part is the most important in this game. Some times in PUG drops I see a player that I have drop many times with in groups, so we just team up and we play off each other. Just two players in a PUG match working together like that can turn the match. Plus playing in groups gives you more to talk about while waiting for drops or razzing the guy that did one damage finding the entire other team at the same time.

Now taking breaks. They are needed if you are playing every night for a few hours and hours on the weekend. Me, due to an ever changing work schedule I might not get a chance to play for 2 weeks or play every night when I want.

One hint. Call out some directions if you are confident enough. Sure you will lead teams into ROFL stomps, but if they are working together, that is what you want. This morning I had a team that made contact and just disappeared. As to what happened, better shot placement and the other team was all over the the map in 3 groups and we were balled up.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users