Phoenix Hawk Builds

43 replies to this topic

#1 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:48 AM

Now that the Phoenix Hawks have been released I wanted to start a true build discussion thread.

While I have only played 1-2 matches in each variant, I do have a few builds that I am liking so far. I will tweak them a bit, but right now I am very pleased with them. I found it quite fun to come up with them because I had to decide if I wanted to make a medium that acted like a light or a medium that acted like a fast medium. I based most of my builds on Enforcer, Crab, and Cicada builds I used in the past, as well as some light mech builds.

Here is what I have so far, hope they are useful and that you share any improvements or even completely different builds!

PXH-1
PXH-1B
PXH-1K
PXH-2
PXH-3S
PXH-KK
PXH-ROC

#2 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:00 PM

I'm liking the 1B.
That high ERPPC mount is pretty cool and the velocity quirks make it wicked fast.

Gonna run a similar build to your PXH-1 but with standard lasers instead. Something like this: PXH-1. A little more speed, range and sustainability at the expense of damage and laser duration.

#3 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:27 PM

Try the 1K with 8 small lasers, 8 small pulse lasers. 6 spl + 2ml or 8ml. Depends on how much heat you are willing to have for dmg.
Oh and since it dosent have any JJ capability, go for std engine, for example the above builds fits perfectly with a Standard 280 Posted Image

Edited by Tordin, 22 June 2016 - 12:32 PM.

#4 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:58 PM

View PostN a p e s, on 22 June 2016 - 12:00 PM, said:

I'm liking the 1B.
That high ERPPC mount is pretty cool and the velocity quirks make it wicked fast.

Gonna run a similar build to your PXH-1 but with standard lasers instead. Something like this: PXH-1. A little more speed, range and sustainability at the expense of damage and laser duration.

Nice builds. I entertained that on the 1B, and will most likely do that soon. I wanted to roll with an AC, but I have other builds that do that, and I can get more speed and utilizing the high mount would be smart.

I like your PXH-1 build a lot, mostly because it is faster, but I am really liking the 3LPLs. Yep I pretty much ignored all weapon quirks in my builds. LOL

#5 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:06 PM

View PostPeeWrinkle, on 22 June 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

Nice builds. I entertained that on the 1B, and will most likely do that soon. I wanted to roll with an AC, but I have other builds that do that, and I can get more speed and utilizing the high mount would be smart.

I like your PXH-1 build a lot, mostly because it is faster, but I am really liking the 3LPLs. Yep I pretty much ignored all weapon quirks in my builds. LOL

I already do a 3 LPL build on a Crab and on a Shadowhawk already so I wanted to mix it up a bit but, it's definitely an awesome loadout.

Quirks, shmirks! Play what you want how you want, that's how it should be done.

#6 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:28 PM

This thread has inspired me. Gonna give this one a whirl after the kiddos goto bed:

PXH-1

The single MLAs in the one arm is my sacrificial lamb to the mech gods when the time comes.

#7 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:46 PM

View PostBluefalcon13, on 22 June 2016 - 04:28 PM, said:

This thread has inspired me. Gonna give this one a whirl after the kiddos goto bed:

PXH-1

The single MLAs in the one arm is my sacrificial lamb to the mech gods when the time comes.

Just gave it a whirl, with a slight twist... had to drop the ammo 1/2 ton cause I only had an xl275 laying around. Kinda fun, but only played one map. Ill run it for the rest of the night after the kiddos goto bed.

#8 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPacific North West USA

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:10 PM

Best luck so far with the 1B rocking an UAC5 and 3ML.

#9 Chryckan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:13 AM

I want to have one PXH that can fly and was thinking of just using the PXH-1 with a massive engine and a bare bones loadout.

PXH-1

I'm just a bit apprehensive on buying an expensive XL engine just to learn it is too weakly armed to do much damage forcing an upgrade in weapons and downgrade in engine.

Edited by Chryckan, 23 June 2016 - 04:13 AM.

#10 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:17 AM

View PostRock Roller, on 22 June 2016 - 08:10 PM, said:

Best luck so far with the 1B rocking an UAC5 and 3ML.

I think the 1b is better off with 3 med pulses, and an erppc in the shoulder. You can run my uac5 build I posted for the -1. One minor change though: I swapped the uac5 to the arm with on laser. It looks pretty sick!

#11 Nullmancer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:52 AM

i've adopted my VND-1AA build to the PXH-1B, the only difference is the deletion of a heatsink and jumpjet for the ECM.

works well enough compared to the VND, So far I've only ever had the arm shot off when i'm last guy standing against a winning team.

the other PXH's I have all have variations on the build. PXH-1 has 2 LPL's and BAP, i think. PXH-1K has same weapons loadout, with the med laser in the center torso and faster engine and maybe another heatsink.

I fiddled around with them in the mechlab, but the 2 LPL build as a base just seems the most effective for me and my playstyle. That or I'm not being imaginative enough.

Edited by Nullmancer, 23 June 2016 - 04:54 AM.

#12 Rock Roller

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 310 posts
  • LocationPacific North West USA

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:36 AM

View PostBluefalcon13, on 23 June 2016 - 04:17 AM, said:

I think the 1b is better off with 3 med pulses, and an erppc in the shoulder. You can run my uac5 build I posted for the -1. One minor change though: I swapped the uac5 to the arm with on laser. It looks pretty sick!

I will give it a try. Since launch I have played with a bunch of builds. Lasers spread damage to much and the limited tonnage doesn't allow for enough tonnage for beams with heat sinks to make opponents duck for cover. Pop a stream of UAC5 rounds in their face and people roll. Since going with this build my damage consistency has gone up.

#13 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:11 AM

View PostRock Roller, on 23 June 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

I will give it a try. Since launch I have played with a bunch of builds. Lasers spread damage to much and the limited tonnage doesn't allow for enough tonnage for beams with heat sinks to make opponents duck for cover. Pop a stream of UAC5 rounds in their face and people roll. Since going with this build my damage consistency has gone up.

Best part about the 1b setup is when a guy takes both arms, then gets whacked with an erppc it's like "surprise mofo!"

You get the same effect with the pics. People dive for cover. The difference is that the erppc is in a safer location than the uac5 would be. It's also a pretty high mount for some hill-humping action. I like mplas's in the arms too. Great for locust hunting :P

#14 Aerei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:15 AM

I've been running three Large Lasers on the 1B. Once you get it double basic'd, the heat is pretty bearable, and the great mobility quirks mean that it can poke with near impunity. I haven't tried ERs since the double basic--I really hate the duration on an otherwise lightning fast poker, but I may give it another whirl.

3x LL Phoenix Hawk

The third jumpjet is a personal preference. Can drop it for a more proper armoring.

#15 m2wester

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:27 AM

View PostPeeWrinkle, on 22 June 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

Quirkwise, your PXH-1-Build would be better off on the 3S.

I'm mostly trying larger Engines. It's fun, but it's pretty much impossible to do more than average damage. 6ML PHX-2 is consistently Okay, 3ML+AC10 on the PXH-1 as well, so far I haven't really found anything on the 3S that really worked. PXH-R I basically use the same build as you, which also does average damage. I'm still trying 3LL+3MG on the PXH-1, but so far, it's not great. I think I'll try your 1B Build next.

#16 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:05 PM

I've been trying to get the fast flying ER-LL PHX-1 to work, but so far I feel like I jump too much and get shot in the air...
PXH-1

Also the PHX-1B is not working well either with only one ERPPC in the RT and 3 ML + 2MG.
PXH-1B

#17 theta123

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:10 PM

4 ER LL and 3LPL phoenix hawks, oh god...meta builds :s

Then again i am loving your other builds.

#18 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:46 AM

View PostTordin, on 22 June 2016 - 12:27 PM, said:

Try the 1K with 8 small lasers, 8 small pulse lasers. 6 spl + 2ml or 8ml. Depends on how much heat you are willing to have for dmg.
Oh and since it dosent have any JJ capability, go for std engine, for example the above builds fits perfectly with a Standard 280 Posted Image

I found the PXH to be unsuitable for brawling due to its large profile.
Especially when encountering better armored mechs with high alphas like the Kodiak, the Black Knight, SRM pults or Maddogs the large frontal surface and low armor of the PXHs are fataly prown to be vulnerable for spread damage.
Your high speed won't be of much use against those weapons up close.

Same reason a flying PHX is no good. Its just too large for mobility beeing an effective counter to enemy weaponsfire.

-- The PXH - 1 (despite beeing everything but ideal) can be outfitted with 3 LLas and a jumpjet.
An other approach would be to include ballistics.

-- The PXH - 1B can be used as PPC carrier or just forget the MGs and add additional Heatsinks.
And seriously the other possibilitys all boil down to forget quirks and do meta stuff like just putting 2-3 LPLs and 3-2 MLas. But there are mechs doing this better than poor little birdy.

-- The PXH - 1K well get out of cover fire everything, get lost.

-- Only reason I would drive the PXH - 2 is its ECM. You can either be a fast light mech like creep up on something and blast away then get away or hope enemy attacks more dangerous mechs or you can go the opposite way.
Stay at range and attack targets already under fire, hoping your ECM keeps you hidden long enough to go unnoticed till you did some damage.

--The 3S can be intresting to pilot because of its MASK system.

Edited by The Basilisk, 24 June 2016 - 01:57 AM.

#19 Felix von Buelow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:33 AM

Builds which work for me so far:

PXH-1: 1 LPL, 2 MPLs, 3 MGs, JJ, XL300
PXH-1B: 3 ERLL, ECM, JJs, XL300
PXH-1K: 6 ML, XL350

All three variants have endo steel, ferro fibrous armor and double heat sinks.

Strangely, I could not make the AC10-build for the PXH-1 work, but the one I am running right now is alright.

All in all a fragile, but very agile mech which rather feels like a big light than a medium, as others already stated. I like it so far!

Edited by GhostNemesys, 24 June 2016 - 01:38 AM.

#20 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:19 AM

View PostReno Blade, on 23 June 2016 - 11:05 PM, said:

I've been trying to get the fast flying ER-LL PHX-1 to work, but so far I feel like I jump too much and get shot in the air...
PXH-1

Also the PHX-1B is not working well either with only one ERPPC in the RT and 3 ML + 2MG.
PXH-1B

For the PXH-1B try dropping the MG's and adding DHS or a bigger engine. I have experimented with this build recently on the 1B and really like it. Depending on what you want for speed, jump ability, and heat you can tweak it quite a bit.

If the PXH-1 is getting too much lift, maybe remove a ton or two of JJs and increase your engine size or add DHS. I haven't run this build, but I might try it as it looks close to what you already built.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users