Yes, We Have A Brexit.

100 replies to this topic

#21 Unit47

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:02 AM

View PostBurke IV, on 24 June 2016 - 04:49 AM, said:

Guys just be happy for us.

Actually most people are perfectly happy Britain and its "I am a super special snowflake"-attitude are gone. You'll be part of the EU for the next two years anyway, enough time to settle things if you have to.

#22 Cerulean Knight

• PipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 89 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:30 AM

From an outsider's (well, central US) standpoint, this seems a foolish move on the UK's part. I've been able to glean some information on what lead up to this through media outlets and the like, but I am interested in direct word of mouth from the citizens of the UK.

I have seen some of the threads on reddit (blech@reddit), but I like to have multiple sources. Would the stayers and leavers care to inform me (and perhaps others) of the pros and cons on their positions?

#23 AmazingOnionMan

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:56 AM

Congrats and welcome to the funky part of town, UK. Just be careful to read over any EEA-documents twice.

#24 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:58 AM

As an outsider reading all these news articles today, my take on it is simple.
Because only 72% of eligible voters turned out...
Roughly 1 in 4 people have no reason to complain since they didn't vote.

Also politicians must learn to set a hard % limit to avoid hassles/outcry from potentially close public votes.
ie: https://en.wikipedia...eferendum,_1995

#25 Burke IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:09 AM

Unit47 there has just been a frenchman on my tv telling us to gtfo and it needs to happen soon. Max that was an interesting read.

#26 EvilCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:31 AM

View PostBurke IV, on 24 June 2016 - 07:09 AM, said:

Unit47 there has just been a frenchman on my tv telling us to gtfo and it needs to happen soon. Max that was an interesting read.

Would you rather like to gtfo later?

#27 Arend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:51 AM

So the old and bitter messed up the Future of the young, really depressing that populism and stupidity excels over rational politics and facts!

Posted Image

Edited by Arend, 24 June 2016 - 08:07 AM.

#28 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

View PostArend, on 24 June 2016 - 07:51 AM, said:

So the old and bitter messed up

The last referendum was somewhere around the time i was born. I have never been given a choice i simply had to put up with it. Young people often forget that the world existed before they were born. I hope that you get your voice sooner than i got mine, but please dont complain too loudly cause nobody wants to hear somebody whining.

View PostEvilCow, on 24 June 2016 - 07:31 AM, said:

Would you rather like to gtfo later?

Well i was responding to the 2 years comment that boris seems to be peddling. And to respond to your previous comment, i do think there is a certain amount of bitterness around. No need for it. For all anybody knows this might all turn out great for us, but the sheer negativity in the air wont even accept that as possible

Edited by Burke IV, 24 June 2016 - 08:32 AM.

#29 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:46 AM

View PostBurke IV, on 24 June 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

For all anybody knows this might all turn out great for us, but the sheer negativity in the air wont even accept that as possible

I can list a million reasons why it will go badly.

Its not negativity, its based on facts and basic knowledge of business/economics.

Believing brexit will bring positive change is like believing in invisible unicorns in your backyard.

Its not something based on facts or science. Its a blind faith emotional appeal based on dogma.

Every scientist, economist and business expert was calling for the UK to stay in the EU.

From what I saw the only ones that supported leaving the EU were politicians or pundits with their own agendas.

Europeans should petition to reverse the vote.

edit -

Actually, I take that back. There could be some positives.

I hope it works out for you.

Edited by I Zeratul I, 24 June 2016 - 09:12 AM.

#30 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:55 AM

View PostBurke IV, on 24 June 2016 - 08:29 AM, said:

Well i was responding to the 2 years comment that boris seems to be peddling. And to respond to your previous comment, i do think there is a certain amount of bitterness around. No need for it. For all anybody knows this might all turn out great for us, but the sheer negativity in the air wont even accept that as possible

It was a joke attempt... anyway, wish you the best.

#31 maxmarechal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 551 posts
  • Locationnext to you...Bro...

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:06 AM

Posted Image

#32 maxmarechal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 551 posts
  • Locationnext to you...Bro...

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:13 AM

because my native language is still french thanks to these boys i wish United kingdom a good future outside Europe
because i am now at peace with my german neighbours i wish Europe a good future without UK

i only wish it had been with UK rather than without....i suppose we must have screwed something for their citizens to let us down now when we are fighting a war against extremism and terror

so long boys...i had a great time in ex-yougoslavia with some of you among FORPRONU

Edited by maxmarechal, 24 June 2016 - 10:17 AM.

#33 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:33 AM

Thanks Max. I would like to beleive the days of war in europe are long gone, however sinse the EU seems determined to sport an army and america is building military bases everywhere, its almost as if they are already gearing up for it. Ill sleep sounder in my bed at night knowing that britain is now well out of it. Russia is now touting its "unstoppable" hypersonic missiles, its like... here we go again. The people in charge just cant be trusted, they are too far removed from real life.

#34 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 12:55 PM

View PostAlienized, on 24 June 2016 - 12:45 AM, said:

take a good look who mainly voted for the exit.
old people that have nothing to do with the future anymore.

thats the proper way to screw up your youth.

You'll get another chance someday, maybe when supersition isn't so prominent in our lives.

View PostKarl Streiger, on 24 June 2016 - 02:28 AM, said:

The human race is intrinsically evil.

In absense of irrational behaviours, the human race is inherently good.

View PostUnit47, on 24 June 2016 - 04:00 AM, said:

Once your countriys economy is on the level of the Northern Kongo (you got no exports, no domestic market to speak of, nothing, nada, except your finance industry, which is moving to Frankfurt with all haste as we speak) I am wondering If you will still call the referendum a brilliant move Posted Image

Bah, speculation. GBP lost 9% against the USD today. Totally reasonable and paltry considering the growth days before.

View PostI Zeratul I, on 24 June 2016 - 08:46 AM, said:

I can list a million reasons why it will go badly....

But you don't list even one!

View PostBurke IV, on 24 June 2016 - 10:33 AM, said:

Thanks Max. I would like to beleive the days of war in europe are long gone, however sinse the EU seems determined to sport an army and america is building military bases everywhere, its almost as if they are already gearing up for it. Ill sleep sounder in my bed at night knowing that britain is now well out of it. Russia is now touting its "unstoppable" hypersonic missiles, its like... here we go again. The people in charge just cant be trusted, they are too far removed from real life.

Fortress North Amercia stands ready to assist all European countries. Including Russia, considering their history, scientific contributions and where all their major cities are located, Russians are Europeans too. Nobody wants war and everyone will be fed. Europeans come first!

#35 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:02 PM

After visiting Verdun and Ypres in Belgium, it is nigh impossible for me to accept that anyone dare refute the greates achievement of Europe, peacefull coexistence.

I am a sad European this day. I wish you good luck, but I am rather sure only ill will come from this day.
The Union will cope, but for doing so an example will have to made of Britain. No easy access to the European market. How shall an industry survive which mainly exports financial services? You may end up paying for the market access but without any saying in how it is done.
As always the little man on the street will be the first to suffer...

#36 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:34 PM

View Postlex conway, on 24 June 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

But you don't list even one!

I don't want this thread to devolve into whargarbl gibberish walls of text.

Not unless someone really wants it to.

#37 Malavai Fletcher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 143 posts
  • LocationErrrrr....C3?

Posted 24 June 2016 - 02:43 PM

The 'facts' being thrown around about britain leaving the EU are becoming increasingly insane.Facebook has become a joke,families turning on each other and the bile and hatred being sent from some people is just crazy.

What people need to stop doing is assuming everyone who voted out is a UKIP supporter which then labels them as a racist and a bigot.

Of the people i know who voted out NONE of them would vote for Nigel Farage.....ever.......he has more than questionable morals and i for one share none of his views.

The problem with the UK is it is now a soft touch,some people come here,commit terrible crimes and because of EU legislation can stall the legal system,some times avoiding deportation because it would be a breach of their human rights,where as the human rights of the victim seem to be almost forgotten.

The system seems flawed when people like abu hamza can make such a mockery of things.

People can come here,work for three months then claim social benefits,my mum does the books in a care home which hires european carers,in the last 2 months 3 girls have arrived from europe to work there,after 3 months they are suddenly up the duff,quit work,on benefits.

Most people do not have a problem with european workers coming here to WORK,god knows there is enough lazy t**ts in this country,we need these people to help us,the problem is the people who come here and sponge of the system,they offer nothing to this country and take everything they can.And because of the way the EU is set up,they can do this.Of course there is the issue of the lazy british t**ts that do the same thing,but that is a british born problem,one we should be dealing with,but having to deal with EU members comming here doing the same thing is breaking the system.

With the influx from immigration the NHS is pretty much in melt down,the ambulances line up with patients unable to drop them off at hospitals because there is no where to put them,and they are not allowed to be left unattended,if they are lucky enough they can get a spot in a storeroom,if they are lucky enough.

I saw on facebook as well people claiming how leaving the EU would mean we would run roughshod over the EU laws set up for conservation and wildlife........lol.........hello europe,you do realise that when the migrating birds head north from africa every year some EU member countries line up on the hillsides and as they fly in from the med they massacre the birds in the thoasands,to the extent that turtle doves are now considered endangered,and how are those bulls doing in spain?Still being ritually massacred for the amusement of the masses?Then theres the feral dogs and cats that roam some countries cities and towns,half starved animals that noone seems to care for.And people want to question wether we would treat wildlife with respect now we have left?

I am a husband and father of two little girls,i work 5-6 days a week depending on the time of year,i have done since i was 20,i am now 40.Im not a racist or a bigot and i dont hate any european countries,the out vote was not two fingers up at europe,it was simply because my country cannot continue like this.

BTW,obviously stocks crashed this morning,but 2 hours later they were rising,i heard that EU members countries already want to redo trade deals and the pound has seemingly more than recovered.

#38 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 03:10 PM

Good points about wildlife. One of the ways immigration has enriched my town is a certain type of person, who generally can be found in the parks drinking in groups, often in the bushes. This didnt bother me too much unil i started to notice dead decapitated birds around the place. It was a mystery to me for quite a while, until one day i looked up and saw the wreck of a bird dangling from a simple snare. The didnt even bother to come back and it dangled by one leg till it rotted. Beyond unacceptable.

Another happy fact of life in the country now is that we no longer have any kind of brass or bronze plaques. These things used to be dotted everywhere, now days you just see the square mark where they used to be. Once it became obvious that they were all just going to be stolen they got took down anyway.

#39 Baelfire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:54 PM

View PostMalavai Fletcher, on 24 June 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

People can come here,work for three months then claim social benefits,my mum does the books in a care home which hires european carers,in the last 2 months 3 girls have arrived from europe to work there,after 3 months they are suddenly up the duff,quit work,on benefits.

You guys seem to forget, that there are british people outside of the UK who claim benefits in other countries as well. This behavior is not unique to non-british people. The question is:about how many people are we really talking and is it an actual problem?

The last time i read something about social claims in the UK was about one or two years ago. At that time we were talking about 130-140.000 EU claimants, which are a very small percentage of all claimants (about 2.5%).The problem is, the majority of the non-UK claimants came from outside of the EU ( more than 250.000) and the Brexit does not help against them at all. You will get rid of some claimants, but in return you will have to deal with hunderd of thousands of british emmigrants who have to return to the UK without jobs and living space. I don't see how this will save your government any money.

I have read several evaluations and forecasts made by business people who do only care about money (or more precisely the purchasing power of the Uk citizens after the Brexit) and not a single one indicates an improvement for Britain. They all say that the UK will suffer greatly for decades. And that means your daughters will have to pay the bill, nothing more, nothing less. This is one of the few cases where i really hope that im wrong, but i doubt it.

Edited by Baelfire, 24 June 2016 - 08:36 PM.

#40 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:54 PM

View Postlex conway, on 24 June 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:

You'll get another chance someday, maybe when supersition isn't so prominent in our lives.

eh, thank god i live in germany.
dont think we would ever do such a votum that counts for such a important thing because most of us dont have any clue what it would mean in the far end.

just watch what happens if Trump wins against clinton.
then there wont be a fortress nowhere anymore lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users