Improved Damage Readouts

5 replies to this topic

Poll: Damage Readout Improvement. (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see the damage indicator provide more detail about the Player's mech state?

1. No, the current readout is fine. (6 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

2. The current readout is fine, but the color's are confusing sometimes. (5 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. The filling in idea is cool, but leave the colors they way they are (6 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

4. I like the proposed readout better than the current readout. (8 votes [32.00%])

Percentage of vote: 32.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LiquidDivide

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:03 PM

I like the look and simplicity of the Paper Doll damage readout, but I think there should be some minor adjustments to improvement the paper doll readout.

PROBLEMS:

First, I found the yellow 'light damage' color to be too similar to the orange 'moderate damage' color. It is difficult to see what the difference is at times (compare CT to Arms in image below). The difference in color is difficult to distinguish quickly.

Second, I think the display does not provide enough damage information for your own mech. I personally kind of like the vague readout for enemy mechs. I don't think sensors should be very precise unless they are installed in your own mech. In your own mech though, you should have a very accurate understanding of the damage your mech has taken, more-so than 3 different color levels (each varying by 33%).

SOLUTION:

First, change the yellow to be more distinguishable from the orange. This is pretty minor, but I think it can make a big difference.

Second, Instead of just changing the color of the component that is damaged, slowly fill in the component with color as damage is received. This way, you get a color for a quick indicator (like we have today) and a percentage of damage to the component.

Posted Image

Let me clarify that this would only be done for indicator in the lower-left for the player's OWN mech. Aside from the color change, I think the upper-right indicator should remain unchanged.

There was a similar suggestion made by Lunoe that I got this idea from. I posted my idea in that topic, but the more I thought about it the more I liked it and decided to create it's own poll. Full credit to Lunoe for inspiring me though. His thread can be found here:

http://mwomercs.com/...damage-readout/

#2 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:08 PM

This may keep new players from turtling after they get splashed with ER fire that does minimal damage but turns their entire mech yellow, and they forget or don't know to look at their health % value.

Edited by Ryokens leap, 20 October 2014 - 02:27 PM.

#3 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 12:15 PM

Something like this would be good to have. I know several people who are color blind and more or less cannot distinguish between between damage values more than armored/unarmored. While I personally don't need it, it would definitely be good for players who do.

#4 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:11 AM

We need an option for HTAL display, for one. I think that's paramount.

Secondly, there shouldn't be a stark difference between 100% and 99%. It shouldn't jump from nothing to suddenly yellow, it should be a subtle gradient. It would give more headroom so that the oranges and reds are more distinct. Having a darker red at the end of the spectrum would be nice as well.

#5 Mark of Caine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 496 posts
  • LocationWazan War Veteran

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:41 AM

I really like this idea, and could take it a step further when it comes to enemy paper doll information:

Make the Target Info Gathering module, the Command Console as well as Clan Targeting Computers (3 tons or higher) provide the same damage information as it would on your own mech. For those who don't want to invest in the module, or have limited slots, they can spend the 3 tons (or more) for either the IS CC or Clan TC.

#6 Elendil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:00 PM

I agree with having more ambiguous enemy damage readouts, even moreso than we currently have.
You shouldn't be able to tell exactly which parts are damaged on a mech that is 1000m away, and be able to target them with your pinpoint accurate weapons. That's just freaky.
I think that without added modules, all you should see is a general damage indicator (although no actual percentage).

Maybe have it so that the enemy readout is green if it has no damage, yellow if it has damage to armor on more than 2 components, orange if any single component is totally missing armor, and red if multiple components are missing armor or if any have been destroyed.
Then if you have a targeting computer, or if anyone on your team with a targeting computer is targeting them at the same time, you can get the exact component info after a few seconds (boosted by better computers).

And across the board the colors should fade into each other.

At closer ranges you could visually see the damage on the mech and target components the old-fashioned way.

Edited by Elendil, 18 May 2016 - 12:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users