• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:47 PM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 24 August 2016 - 10:25 AM, said:

Posted Image

All right folks, the big update has arrived. Almost all of the clan mechs currently in-game, plus the Cougar, Huntsman and Marauder IIC.

Executioner continues to defeat me, I think I need to start it over and see if I can make the torso/head work. The Origins IIC will join when I get a chance to redo the Exe, but I don't want to hold up this update any more Posted Image

Wow! Those are amazing!!
Looking forward for the Night Gyr and the IIC guys!

#42 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:18 PM

The newer mechs are proving hard, different style of lines. Huntsman was ... Posted Image .... challenging!

#43 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:32 AM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 24 August 2016 - 02:18 PM, said:

The newer mechs are proving hard, different style of lines. Huntsman was ... Posted Image .... challenging!

You pulled it off though, the Huntsman looks good!

#44 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:52 AM

Glad you like it :) I'm quite happy with the final result, too.

#45 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 31 August 2016 - 11:47 AM

Next update (when I finish a couple more mechs to make it worth while) will have an updated Mad Dog, Ebon Jaguar, and a Linebacker. Like the Marauder IIC and Huntsman, there was a lot of guesswork and extrapolation but I think I'm pretty confident in how it looks.

I'd like to get the IIC mechs and EXE done for the next update, maybe in a couple days depending on how things go. I'm eager to finish up the work on Clan mechs so I can revisit the Alpha Lance IS heavies, and move on to some other personal favorites. Black Knight might be fun, I didn't want to do one at first but I think the Huntsman's torso gave me some ideas for the Black Knight.

Oh yeah! Cyclops is done, too. IS will get a unified mech grid like I did for the Clans. So moving forward I'll only have to keep 2 images up to date, instead of updating a bunch of smaller ones.

Edited by Luscious Dan, 31 August 2016 - 11:49 AM.

#46 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:26 PM

Posted Image

Probably going to see some more revisions along the way, but almost done the Bushwacker. Done ahead of schedule due to the art contest Tina posted Posted Image Once finalized I'll enter it in the other thread.

Edited by Luscious Dan, 14 September 2016 - 07:49 AM.

#47 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:50 AM

Image updated above with some slight tweaks :)

#48 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:22 AM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 13 September 2016 - 02:26 PM, said:

Posted Image

Probably going to see some more revisions along the way, but almost done the Bushwacker. Done ahead of schedule due to the art contest Tina posted Posted Image Once finalized I'll enter it in the other thread.

this is very good!

BTW, how do you enlarge the image without "loosing" the pixels?

#49 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:16 AM

Most software blurs everything out when you increase the image size. I think with Photoshop you can turn off resampling when you blow up the image, but I'm not currently using Photoshop. On Windows I'm generally using good old MS Paint, and on the Mac side Pixelmator.

One of the sneaky ways to blow up a pixel art image is to zoom in, and then take a screenshot using your system's snipping tool. Occasionally you have issues like a cursor appearing over the image, so you have to be careful about that sort of thing, but I often take the screen shot and crop down to make the larger versions. Depending on your monitor size and preferred resolution, 600% is often a nice size to view them at IMO.

#50 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:27 PM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 14 September 2016 - 09:16 AM, said:

Most software blurs everything out when you increase the image size. I think with Photoshop you can turn off resampling when you blow up the image, but I'm not currently using Photoshop. On Windows I'm generally using good old MS Paint, and on the Mac side Pixelmator.

One of the sneaky ways to blow up a pixel art image is to zoom in, and then take a screenshot using your system's snipping tool. Occasionally you have issues like a cursor appearing over the image, so you have to be careful about that sort of thing, but I often take the screen shot and crop down to make the larger versions. Depending on your monitor size and preferred resolution, 600% is often a nice size to view them at IMO.

I think if you scale in 100% multiples and don't use any kind of algorithm scaling, then the software doesn't have to do really any figuring out of where to put pixels since it just ends up making each "pixel" double in width and height per 100%.

For example, I use the GIMP and when you scale an image you can select the Quality "Interpolation", which defaults to Linear (which probably also works) but you can also set it to None.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 14 September 2016 - 12:30 PM.

#51 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:07 PM

I've used GIMP but I don't anymore. I couldn't find a way to scale in Pixelmator without the resampling/anti-aliasing. There have been custom plugins to allow for it, but the ones I found don't work with the current version of the application.

I started way back using Photoshop so I have a hard time not comparing everything to that standard. Pixelmator does a good job for the cost (including a vector mode now), but it certainly can't do a lot of the things Photoshop does. Format support (lack of compatibility with Illustrator) is the crappy part :(

#52 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:51 PM

Great stuff!

#53 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:49 AM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 13 September 2016 - 02:26 PM, said:

Posted Image

Can you provide this in the same scale as your other mechs in your first post of this thread? That way it can make its way into PixelMek :)

#54 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:44 AM

Sure, I can do an update of the main images later today. Linebacker, Night Gyr and Highlander IIC are included in the most recent versions I have on my thumb drive. I'll move the Alpha Lance heavies over to the IS one so it doesn't look so barren and post it up. That one includes the Cyclops.

#55 Mark Nicholson

3D Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 03:44 PM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 24 August 2016 - 10:25 AM, said:

Posted Image All right folks, the big update has arrived. Almost all of the clan mechs currently in-game, plus the Cougar, Huntsman and Marauder IIC. Executioner continues to defeat me, I think I need to start it over and see if I can make the torso/head work. The Origins IIC will join when I get a chance to redo the Exe, but I don't want to hold up this update any more :)

The Huntsman needs the second left torso energy pixel (it has a flamer and TAG there).
Otherwise I am incredibly pleased to see it and the Viper join the lineup.
Keep up the good work.

#56 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 15 September 2016 - 04:01 PM

View PostMark Nicholson, on 15 September 2016 - 03:44 PM, said:

The Huntsman needs the second left torso energy pixel (it has a flamer and TAG there).
Otherwise I am incredibly pleased to see it and the Viper join the lineup.
Keep up the good work.

I don't suppose it is roughly in scale? :P

#57 Mark Nicholson

3D Artist

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:20 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 15 September 2016 - 04:01 PM, said:

I don't suppose it is roughly in scale? Posted Image

Not sure, I'll have to go check.
(but obviously I won't be able to share that with you till later. >_< )

#58 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:42 PM

View PostMark Nicholson, on 15 September 2016 - 08:20 PM, said:

Not sure, I'll have to go check.
(but obviously I won't be able to share that with you till later. >_< )

Still, appreciate the hard work. It looks fantastic! Only been wanting this mech in the game for two years now. :D

#59 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 15 September 2016 - 09:16 PM

Hey Mark! Glad you're liking the progress :D

Funny you should mention the Huntsman E hard points, that was actually something I noticed the other day and spent some time at the end of the day today playing around with various options. Just one of those things where each different way I tried to do it, I wasn't quite happy with the result. Just not enough pixels to go around sometimes lol Posted Image

Anyway, I did update the images in the main post, and the revised Huntsman is among them. Here it is again to save yall some clicks!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still a long way to go on the Inner Sphere set obviously, most of the ones in there I no longer consider finished. I need to revisit the heavies, some of the first pixel mechs I ever did. I almost never stop revisiting the old mechs and moving a pixel or two, but I know the Alpha Lance ones need a lot more than that since I've figured many things out since then.

#60 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 16 September 2016 - 04:07 AM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 15 September 2016 - 09:16 PM, said:

Hey Mark! Glad you're liking the progress Posted Image

Funny you should mention the Huntsman E hard points, that was actually something I noticed the other day and spent some time at the end of the day today playing around with various options. Just one of those things where each different way I tried to do it, I wasn't quite happy with the result. Just not enough pixels to go around sometimes lol Posted Image

Anyway, I did update the images in the main post, and the revised Huntsman is among them. Here it is again to save yall some clicks!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still a long way to go on the Inner Sphere set obviously, most of the ones in there I no longer consider finished. I need to revisit the heavies, some of the first pixel mechs I ever did. I almost never stop revisiting the old mechs and moving a pixel or two, but I know the Alpha Lance ones need a lot more than that since I've figured many things out since then.

Lookin good!

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 16 September 2016 - 04:08 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users