32 replies to this topic

#1 xXBagheeraXx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:49 PM

The Dire wolf needs mobility quirks.

THERE. i said it. Since nobody else will. The thing can carry guns....and that's about it. it was fine before when some of the side torsos like the Dire wolf prime ones gave torso twist angle/speed. The pilot tree nerfs where not kind to this mech at all, and it lost all positive quirks it had.

#2 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:52 PM

The thing that hurt the DWF the most was the loss of range on cERML. That neutered its ability to provide fire support from the distances its speed allows it to close relative to the speed at which the front line moves.

Even with mobility quirks, the DWF will be food. See also KGC.

#3 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:02 PM

The only whales ive ever been successful with all use a pair of gauss rifles. I have never once gottend the dakka whale to work consistently, nor do I fear them at all unless its at short range. Getting close in a whale just gets you DEAD.

I mean seriously...look at my garage...such diversity...LOL!
Posted Image

Edited by xXBagheeraXx, 25 June 2016 - 08:05 PM.

#4 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:04 PM

Id rather see it get some Structure Love(Should The Dwf Get Some Structure Buffs?)
Faster Turning isnt gonna save it from going Slow or getting Focused in 3seconds,

#5 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:08 PM

The king crab can at least pull of some reasonable Dakka, and can be run with at LEAST a 325, which is borderline acceptable for a 100 ton mech. The Whale does not have that luxury.

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 25 June 2016 - 08:04 PM, said:

Id rather see it get some Structure Love(Should The Dwf Get Some Structure Buffs?)
Faster Turning isnt gonna save it from going Slow or getting Focused in 3seconds,

True, but if your mech is all about the guns I REALLY wish I could get my guns on target faster. Thats what gets me killed the most. especially in my alpha wolf. 80 points of damage does you no good if you cant swing the dam things around fast enough. Accel Decel and twist range buffs would REALLY make the thing a least competent in a knife fight. As it is right now you can probably get circle killed by an atlas Wouldnt even have to be a 350 engined Atlas. Ive certainly done it in Victors, and that was pre buff.

Edited by xXBagheeraXx, 25 June 2016 - 08:09 PM.

#6 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:18 PM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 25 June 2016 - 08:08 PM, said:

The king crab can at least pull of some reasonable Dakka, and can be run with at LEAST a 325, which is borderline acceptable for a 100 ton mech. The Whale does not have that luxury.

True, but if your mech is all about the guns I REALLY wish I could get my guns on target faster. Thats what gets me killed the most. especially in my alpha wolf. 80 points of damage does you no good if you cant swing the dam things around fast enough. Accel Decel and twist range buffs would REALLY make the thing a least competent in a knife fight. As it is right now you can probably get circle killed by an atlas Wouldnt even have to be a 350 engined Atlas. Ive certainly done it in Victors, and that was pre buff.

id still Rather see it become like a Clan Atlas's,
as its so Slow it would get the team to wait for it, if it was a Armored Tank,
also whats the Point of an 80Point Alpha when you spend the next 30seconds cooling down,
people always Bring up how much a DWF can Bring(6B 15E) but how much can it use Effectively?

#7 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:25 PM

I doesnt take me that long to cool off my Alpha wolf. See: 22 sinks. I can hit someone twice and still have enough left over to at least fire the ER LL again with a pair of gauss. If anything survives 160+ to one section of a mech, I call hax. I dont want it tougher. I dont mind the glass cannon aspect of it. I had no issues driving the thing before when it had some torso twist mobility quirks and the Pilot tree wasnt nerfed. It was right where it needed to be as far as mobility was concerned. I still coldnt get dakka builds to work but that is due to face time/crappy clan acs/Convergence issues, not due to the mech itself. As it is right now its only good for Medium to long range peekaboom. Every single Dakka whale I see either hides till late game and plays cleanup or gets spotted and promply murdered. I even had a trade with one in my UAC-5 King crab. Clan Uacs are so bad on that mech he missed dam near all his salvoes while i ripped off a side torso in a few hits, and had his CT cherry red before my team noticed him and mauled him. He peeked a corner for all of....3 seconds? ANd was simply too dam slow to twist my damage or get back into cover when he realized he was losing the trade. Speaking of trade...he barely oranged my armor. Testament to the crappy nature of clan AC's at mid to long range. And he had 4 uac10s to my 5's.

#8 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:42 PM

Posted Image

Your hanger looks like it was beaten with a fugly stick. Good grief! Invest in some better colors.........ugh!

On topic though, the mobility is really bad on the direwolf. If anything is shooting you from over 45 degrees left or right...or even behind. You just need to bend over, put your head between your legs and kiss your a$$ goodbye. Impossible to turn around or spread damage efficiently.

Who am I kidding it's never gonna happen. It's probably gonna get nerfed more since it's a clan mech.

#9 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:42 PM

I'm a huge fan of the DWF, my garage looks similar to yours except I put the Phraken camo on all 5 of mine

Posted Image

I think the DWF could badly use some mobility and structure

If the KDK gets 10 structure the DWF should too

#10 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:56 PM

View PostW A R K H A N, on 25 June 2016 - 08:42 PM, said:

Posted Image

Your hanger looks like it was beaten with a fugly stick. Good grief! Invest in some better colors.........ugh!

On topic though, the mobility is really bad on the direwolf. If anything is shooting you from over 45 degrees left or right...or even behind. You just need to bend over, put your head between your legs and kiss your a$$ goodbye. Impossible to turn around or spread damage efficiently.

Who am I kidding it's never gonna happen. It's probably gonna get nerfed more since it's a clan mech.

Send me some MC and I'll be glad to repaint my noble steeds :P Till then Bite my shiney metal....gauss rifles...

#11 smokytehbear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationThe Heat Lab

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:56 PM

Personally what I think sucks is how much free tonnage it has. It doesn't have FF or Endo, giving it far less than what a KDK could potentially carry even if you choose to run a 300XL in the bear. Pretty much the only reason to use a DWF would be quirks (which imho are worse than the bear's) or hardpoints.

#12 xXBagheeraXx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:59 PM

View Postsmokytehbear, on 25 June 2016 - 08:56 PM, said:

Personally what I think sucks is how much free tonnage it has. It doesn't have FF or Endo, giving it far less than what a KDK could potentially carry even if you choose to run a 300XL in the bear. Pretty much the only reason to use a DWF would be quirks (which imho are worse than the bear's) or hardpoints.

It still has some of the best available free tonnage in game. and still has more hardpoints than the best Kodiak. Free tonnage is certainly not the issue.

#13 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:02 PM

My opinion is even less popular -

With the release of the KDK all pretext of trying to " tone down" high firepower assaults is gone.

Give it 90 degrees torso twist and regular mobility. The KDK does everything it does only better. Keeping it gimped because a couple years ago PGI was at least making a pretext of trying to limit ppower creep is pointless.

Edited by MischiefSC, 25 June 2016 - 09:03 PM.

#14 smokytehbear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • LocationThe Heat Lab

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:09 PM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 25 June 2016 - 08:59 PM, said:

It still has some of the best available free tonnage in game. and still has more hardpoints than the best Kodiak. Free tonnage is certainly not the issue.

If you can afford the slots to do both FF and Endo, a KDK with an XL 300 has 63.5 free tons with maximum armor. Even if you give the DWF those heat sinks back and count that as part of the free tonnage, it only gets 55.3. If you didn't want to use 5 tons on heat sinks for whatever reason, you only get 50.3.

8 tons seems like a lot to me.

I'll give you the hardpoints though, hands down if we're talking total number. I'd probably disagree on location though, particularly comparing the KDK-3. Just saying that the bear's arguably better quirks and strictly better free tonnage (in builds that can take advantage of it) are quite strong, and that's irrespective of its versatility for different builds the DWF can't even do.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'd like to see quirks help it somehow.

#15 adamts01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:09 PM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 25 June 2016 - 07:49 PM, said:

The Dire wolf needs mobility quirks.

THERE. i said it. Since nobody else will. The thing can carry guns....and that's about it. it was fine before when some of the side torsos like the Dire wolf prime ones gave torso twist angle/speed. The pilot tree nerfs where not kind to this mech at all, and it lost all positive quirks it had.

No. Assaults should tank, bring the pain and kill anything IN FRONT OF THEM, but need support to do that. I'd rather see the STs get massive internals and maybe some offensive quirks but assaults should need support. Right now a lone Kodiak has absolutely no other mech to fear, it shouldn't be that way.

#16 SeaLabCaptn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 273 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:13 PM

I say drop all >80 ton assault mobility to dire whale levels so the lights are able to harass assaults the way they should.

Assuming a decent pilot, there are only a handful of assaults that need support to keep lights off their tail. This is wrong.

#17 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:23 PM

same replay than other thread.

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 25 June 2016 - 09:37 PM, said:

Quirks are the devil incarnate, and should be used only for unlucky mechs.

Dire has been top tier, king of assault meta.

Still it's not an unlucky mech.....
BUT those pilots who ask to buff it are unlucky and need to get gud: you want to buff a mech with monster firepower because you are not getting results??? Really?

Apparently the QQ "Light OP" crowd still is underwhelming despite using a top assault mech like the dire.... and despite they managed to nerf lights!!! LOL

There is no limit to shame. Posted Image

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 25 June 2016 - 10:24 PM.

#18 IdolElite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 175 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA, Terra

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:32 PM

I haven't played in a few months, did the Kodiak completely usurp the Direwolf? Is it actually bad now or just bad in comparison?

#19 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:33 PM

View Postadamts01, on 25 June 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

No. Assaults should tank, bring the pain and kill anything IN FRONT OF THEM, but need support to do that. I'd rather see the STs get massive internals and maybe some offensive quirks but assaults should need support. Right now a lone Kodiak has absolutely no other mech to fear, it shouldn't be that way.

DWF is too slow to tank. The most tanking it does is getitng caught out on NASCAR and dying. Its not scary at all. If I see a DWF in a light, I know I've got a free meal. If I see a DWF, and I have another friendly with me, its a free meal. The thing can barely twist to keep up with a single heavy, much less tank and fight off 2 or more mechs. Piloting a DWF, I feel scared more often than I think I scare the opponent.

You're right about the KDK. When piloting one, I know I drive fear into everyone I fight, even DWFs. When I fight against a KDK, I only fight if I'm a KDK myself, or my side has more people. I feel like its a gaint death machine, commanding fear and respect against everyone it goes against. It'll at the very least, very badly maul a single mech before it goes down. NASCAR doesn't affect KDKs, because they're so fast, they usually the ones NASCARing if anything.

The KDK is what the DWF should have been, and the gulf between them is immense. DWF is just pathetic now, its more of a free kill than anything.

View PostIdolElite, on 25 June 2016 - 10:32 PM, said:

I haven't played in a few months, did the Kodiak completely usurp the Direwolf? Is it actually bad now or just bad in comparison?

The KDK has ursurped the DWF in every single way. There is nothing the DWF can do that, the KDK cannot do much better. It is much faster, far more survivable (thanks to its speed), far more fearsome, can bring any viable DWF builds, except it doesn't, because the KDK builds are so much better, the KDK is far more versatile in build thanks to being able to change engine, much higher weapon mounts. There is absolutely no reason at all to even touch the DWF if you own the KDK.

Edited by KBurn85, 25 June 2016 - 10:38 PM.

#20 ChewBaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:41 PM

Anyone seen a DWF being used in the championship matches so far? Why not, eh?

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users