32 replies to this topic

#21 adamts01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:52 PM

View Postadamts01, on 25 June 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

No. Assaults should tank, bring the pain and kill anything IN FRONT OF THEM, but need support to do that. I'd rather see the STs get massive internals and maybe some offensive quirks but assaults should need support. Right now a lone Kodiak has absolutely no other mech to fear, it shouldn't be that way.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

View PostKBurn85, on 25 June 2016 - 10:33 PM, said:

DWF is too slow to tank. The most tanking it does is getitng caught out on NASCAR and dying. Its not scary at all. If I see a DWF in a light, I know I've got a free meal. If I see a DWF, and I have another friendly with me, its a free meal. The thing can barely twist to keep up with a single heavy, much less tank and fight off 2 or more mechs. Piloting a DWF, I feel scared more often than I think I scare the opponent.

Read what I said again. I think assaults should lean towards being tanking assault mechs, not solo warriors like the Kodiak, I never said the Dire was in either of those positions. You want to be able to tank and fight off 2+ mechs? Keep dreaming about your easy button. Every mech needs a downside, and I believe the downside of 100 tonners should be mobility. BUT they should be able to tank like crazy and really pump out the hurt.

#22 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:54 PM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 25 June 2016 - 07:49 PM, said:

Unpopular Opinion
I thought you were going to say "Anything you think PGI did good".

#23 IdolElite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 175 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA, Terra

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:06 AM

So what about the Dire Wolf vs other 95 to 100 ton mechs, other than the Kodiak? I'm trying to find out if it is actually weak now compared to where it was vs other mechs and not just made obsolete by the best mech in the game. If we're trying to balance the Dire Wolf up to the standard of the Kodiak vs balancing the Kodiak to the standard of other mechs we're going in the wrong direction.

#24 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 26 June 2016 - 12:31 AM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 25 June 2016 - 07:49 PM, said:

The Dire wolf needs mobility quirks.

THERE. i said it. Since nobody else will. The thing can carry guns....and that's about it. it was fine before when some of the side torsos like the Dire wolf prime ones gave torso twist angle/speed. The pilot tree nerfs where not kind to this mech at all, and it lost all positive quirks it had.

Actually most heavies and assaults are too mobile/agile. It got apparent after the double nerf to lights (size & archtype movement). My Centurion D with a 300 engine is more responsive than my 35t mechs with the same engine rating. Heck, even Catapults feel less spongy with a 300 rating.

These mobility quirks on heavies are totally bloated. Agility should belong to lights and meds - then there would be reason to play them. The mobility of heavies and assaults should be much closer and in general less than now. I know, that is an unpoular opinion

Edited by Bush Hopper, 26 June 2016 - 12:41 AM.

#25 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:59 AM

Basically, everyone crying for Dire wolf quirks are assault pilots I don't want on my team,or worse, not assault pilots at all. Of all the mechs in game, the Dire wolf is one of the most balanced and most powerful. If you want speed and mobility, use something else. If you want to have the most firepower in game, the dire wolf is your mech. It's the only mech capable of mounting 15 lasers. It's the only mech that can mount 6 uac5. It's the only assault mech that can down an atlas in 2 shots. Those that say a kodiak can replicate every good dire wolf build? Bull. Not a single kodiak can carry 4 uac5, 6 er small lasers and 2 srm 6 (or 2 lrm 10) depending on my mood. The best a kodiak can do is 4 uac5 and 4 er medium lasers which is about 30 percent less firepower and greater heat. Kodiak simply doesn't have the hardpoints to compete with the dire wolf.

No, the dire wolf doesn't need buffed, the people using it need to let go their crutches and learn how to play it. Very rarely do I have a match with my dire wolf where I do less than 500 damage (usually 750 to 1400) less than 2 to 3 kills and similar numbers of kmdd. Most of my poor performances are in lighter, faster mechs. I'm determined to learn how to use mediums but end up dying without contributing much usually lol.

Here is something else, nearly every quick play match I do, there are 1 to 2 dire wolves not counting mine. I hardly ever see that many kodiaks now that they aren't new and shiny. If the dire wolf sucked as bad as the people on the forums say, they would be as rare as a mist lynx.

Edit: I just hopped in game my first match was 1096 damage, 6kmdd, 5 kills. 3 of those kills were kodiaks. I ended the match with 76 percent health left. The dire is fine as is, the pilots are lacking.

Edited by Malachy Karrde, 26 June 2016 - 05:29 AM.

#26 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:57 AM

View PostxXBagheeraXx, on 25 June 2016 - 08:08 PM, said:

The king crab can at least pull of some reasonable Dakka, and can be run with at LEAST a 325, which is borderline acceptable for a 100 ton mech. The Whale does not have that luxury.

That's my point, though. Even being far more agile, the KGC gets torn to pieces by everything under the sun, including Lights. By nature of what they are, 100 ton 'Mechs attract a lot of fire because they are dangerous, slow, and big. Giving the DWF the ability to turn at a rate more closely resembling a Warhawk or even a Gargoyle would do nothing to change how it plays because it is still a 100 ton 'Mech with all the baggage that implies.

#27 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:59 AM

Heck, IIRC the Dire Wolf actually was a touch more agile and able to twist easier before people started screaming about it being OP.

Of course, it's always easier to nerf than un-nerf here.

#28 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:10 AM

DireWolf is fine. Its all the other mechs that need to have their mobility quirks removed.

#29 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:36 AM

Direwolf is fine.
Imagine a Direwolf fighting against a Victor or a Highlander.
I cannot imagine a scenario where those 2 IS mechs would have an upper hand.

Direwolf gets left behind in solo queue, but on numerous occasions I was able to take out 1-2 mechs and deal 500+damage before I got taken down. 4xUAC10 on a Kodiak are super effective, but will they be able to take down a Dire before overheating? A Dire can have 6xUAC5 for superior sustained DPS or 5xUAC5 with a fistfull of lasers for both DPS and alpha.

PS. Lately I witnessed a duel between a DWF (4xUAC10, a poor build imho) and a Spider. The Direwolf was the last mech on our team vs 5 enemies. It was unmastered, lacking seismic sensor, but it made the right call an bunkered himself inside the Crimson's tunnel. The enemies were heavily damaged, and came for him 2 as a time,hoping to end the game quickly. He chewed through 2 of them and was agile enough to turn around and kill another 2 that came from the other tunnel exit.
Then he left the tunnel and moved into the city, where he fought the 3xMPL Spider. The Spider used all it's tricks: dodged between buildings, on the rooftops, constantly trying to flank the him. He must have hit the Dire with at least 10 good laser alphas, but finally made a mistake of running directly away from the Dire and ate 4xUAC10 in the back.

Edited by Kmieciu, 27 June 2016 - 01:54 AM.

#30 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:10 PM

View PostKmieciu, on 27 June 2016 - 01:36 AM, said:

Direwolf is fine.
Imagine a Direwolf fighting against a Victor or a Highlander.
I cannot imagine a scenario where those 2 IS mechs would have an upper hand.

Direwolf gets left behind in solo queue, but on numerous occasions I was able to take out 1-2 mechs and deal 500+damage before I got taken down. 4xUAC10 on a Kodiak are super effective, but will they be able to take down a Dire before overheating? A Dire can have 6xUAC5 for superior sustained DPS or 5xUAC5 with a fistfull of lasers for both DPS and alpha.

PS. Lately I witnessed a duel between a DWF (4xUAC10, a poor build imho) and a Spider. The Direwolf was the last mech on our team vs 5 enemies. It was unmastered, lacking seismic sensor, but it made the right call an bunkered himself inside the Crimson's tunnel. The enemies were heavily damaged, and came for him 2 as a time,hoping to end the game quickly. He chewed through 2 of them and was agile enough to turn around and kill another 2 that came from the other tunnel exit.
Then he left the tunnel and moved into the city, where he fought the 3xMPL Spider. The Spider used all it's tricks: dodged between buildings, on the rooftops, constantly trying to flank the him. He must have hit the Dire with at least 10 good laser alphas, but finally made a mistake of running directly away from the Dire and ate 4xUAC10 in the back.
this is a normal match in my Dire wolf, except mine has been mastered a long time (I'm thinking of actually buying an S or W). I have lost track of how many times I've saved the day exactly this way. And kodiaks can't go toe to toe with a Dire wolf that has a halfway decent pilot with a good build and survive. Only kodiak that's ever killed me toe to toe is scout dereks.

#31 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:23 PM

Direwolf needs acceleration quirks and a wider degree of torso twist minimum.

#32 Dingo Battler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:07 PM

View PostMalachy Karrde, on 27 June 2016 - 05:10 PM, said:

this is a normal match in my Dire wolf, except mine has been mastered a long time (I'm thinking of actually buying an S or W). I have lost track of how many times I've saved the day exactly this way. And kodiaks can't go toe to toe with a Dire wolf that has a halfway decent pilot with a good build and survive. Only kodiak that's ever killed me toe to toe is scout dereks.

That's interesting, because dires are a free meal for my KDK. Head on, the KDK will lose, I'll give you that. However, if you catch a DWF on the side, even on an 45 degree angle, you can usually blow out a torso before it can even turn to face you. Last night, I saw a DWF from the front, so I went to hide, moved a bit off to its right, then poked twice. In less than 10 seconds, I blew away its side torso. Then I facetimed it and blew its other torso away and killed it. Free and easy meal. All it did was turn my side torso armour orange, still at 88%. The DWF pilot didn't do anything wrong. There were too many targets (on both sides), and it was the slowest turning thing there.

I'm not a "poor" assault pilot. I'm actually a decent DWF pilot. I've got the stats to back it up. It looks decent, but every time I pilot my DWF, it has taken massive concentration, effort, begging the team. I've had many games with 0 dmg as a light just runs around and kills me. Its a very hard to play mech, and very frustrating. In contrast, I barely use any effort with my KDK. I just power up and run around. Sometimes I'm the NASCAR. If I see an atlas, KGC or DWF, I just move around to an angle it'll take some time to turn towards and poke it once or twice, blow a torso, then I descend for my free meal.

Posted Image

The DWF is a joke. I no longer play it. Not worth the stress and effort. I can play much more casually and effortlessly with my KDK, and get a far better result.

Edited by KBurn85, 27 June 2016 - 06:16 PM.

#33 Malachy Karrde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 473 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:38 PM

View PostKBurn85, on 27 June 2016 - 06:07 PM, said:

That's interesting, because dires are a free meal for my KDK. Head on, the KDK will lose, I'll give you that. However, if you catch a DWF on the side, even on an 45 degree angle, you can usually blow out a torso before it can even turn to face you. Last night, I saw a DWF from the front, so I went to hide, moved a bit off to its right, then poked twice. In less than 10 seconds, I blew away its side torso. Then I facetimed it and blew its other torso away and killed it. Free and easy meal. All it did was turn my side torso armour orange, still at 88%. The DWF pilot didn't do anything wrong. There were too many targets (on both sides), and it was the slowest turning thing there.

I'm not a "poor" assault pilot. I'm actually a decent DWF pilot. I've got the stats to back it up. It looks decent, but every time I pilot my DWF, it has taken massive concentration, effort, begging the team. I've had many games with 0 dmg as a light just runs around and kills me. Its a very hard to play mech, and very frustrating. In contrast, I barely use any effort with my KDK. I just power up and run around. Sometimes I'm the NASCAR. If I see an atlas, KGC or DWF, I just move around to an angle it'll take some time to turn towards and poke it once or twice, blow a torso, then I descend for my free meal.

Posted Image

The DWF is a joke. I no longer play it. Not worth the stress and effort. I can play much more casually and effortlessly with my KDK, and get a far better result.
The dire wolf requires more skill to play than any other assault. It takes a long time to master it. 300 matches barely scratches the surface. Haven't looked at my spec sheet in months but I've got over 3000 in the prime alone. I own all the atlases and all the king crabs, and I've mastered them too. I didn't buy the kodiak because I haven't had any trouble taking them out. They take about 1 to 2 alphas to take out on average, about 200 damage max. An atlas takes about 300 damage to put down. They have comparable firepower and neither mounts an alpha like I carry on my Dire wolf. I've never had a 0 damage match. A poor performance for me is 300 damage. I've been taken out by lights, but usually take many with me. Usually takes 3 or more to wolf pack me down and 1 or 2 die with me. 1 shot from my dire wolf will plaster a light. I shot off both legs of a cicada 5 minutes ago with one alpha. The trick is to not let them get into your rear arc and use situational awareness. Don't play it like an atlas and as a pilot you need balls of steel. If you are afraid to wade into a target without blinking and try to roll damage, you will die. If your guns are ever silent, you will die. If you try to boat, you will die. But if you use a low heat loadout that has complementary weapons, and watch where the hell you are going and have a plan to handle lights... you cannot pick a better mech. I'd take my dire wolf against anything and be virtually certain I was going to win.

View PostChewBaka, on 25 June 2016 - 10:41 PM, said:

Anyone seen a DWF being used in the championship matches so far? Why not, eh?
I'd be glad to take one there. But i don't have the money to pay for that trip.

Edited by Malachy Karrde, 27 June 2016 - 06:37 PM.

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users