98 replies to this topic

#21 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:35 PM

They seem to keep heading South. I would prefer any of the other three cardinal directions.

#22 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:50 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 26 June 2016 - 05:27 PM, said:

Really, I hate it when people talk "direction", because everyone (gross over generalisation not pointed at anyone in particular here) seems to always use it like all their imagined directions are one and the same.

They're all different. Everybody'spreferred direction is different. As Alister said above, that's been PGI's problem. They pick a direction, meet tons of resistance, then choose another.

Its easy to say PGI should just pick a direction and go, but there's a very real chance that their player base is small enough as it stands that they just can't afford to chase a lot of users away, and that often looks like it's a very real danger with any "direction".

I feel bad for them, honestly.

And that's the problem, they are not willing to take the risk of making something for long time fans of BT, yet risk alienating new players, or do something to make it more approachable for new people yet risk alienating long time fans of BT. They are in a tough spot, and they get a little sympathy from me for it, but at the end of the day, they have to pull the trigger on going in one of those directions and stick with it. Yes they will risk face a big risk but the reward maybe worth it in the end.

The current game has driven my MWO time into the dirt lately, but that's more to due with I'm not a fan of PvP. I'm sorry, but I did enough of real world PvP fighting insurgents overseas, I don't feel like doing it in what little spare time I've got. That being said, every time PGI does something I like, I give them a drop in the bucket ($50-$200).

#23 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 26 June 2016 - 05:54 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 26 June 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

MWO has no clear direction because there aren't enough Mechwarrior fans or MWO players to pick a clear direction.

Every time PGI surprises me and does exactly what I want them to do, I am flabbergasted as half the community screams with outrage.
  • I ask for big maps with many options for maneuvers. The community complains that MWO is a walking simulator.
  • I ask for a few maps where sniping is a viable tactic. The community complains that there's hardly any brawling in MWO.
  • I ask for information warfare. The community complains that PGI is robbing them of doritos and taking away features.
  • I ask for role warfare, synergy and equality among weight classes. The community complains that light mechs are too OP and assault mechs should cut through light mechs like paper.
  • I ask for Solaris. The community complains that esports deathmatch is boring and a waste of resources.
PGI doesn't know what the community wants, and I don't blame them. Every time PGI does something I agree with, the forums explode with outrage. I'm feeling more and more alienated by the community, and I wonder if it's partially because a lot of the people who wanted the same things as me have already moved on to other games. I don't want to over-simplify the situation though. Taste is a really complex thing when it comes to reviving old computer game series and adapting them to a new format (MMO PVP)

TL;DR - It would probably have been much easier for PGI if they just took a game like MW2:Mercs and decided to make a 2013-version of that game. Then people would have had very simple and predictable expectations. On the other hand, the game would never have been even 1/10th as popular, probably.

Well said.

I think they are trying to make a modern MechWarrior 2 mercs, but for persistent online.

Really, I hate it when people talk "direction", because everyone (gross over generalisation not pointed at anyone in particular here) seems to always use it like all their imagined directions are one and the same.

They're all different. Everybody'spreferred direction is different. As Alister said above, that's been PGI's problem. They pick a direction, meet tons of resistance, then choose another.

Its easy to say PGI should just pick a direction and go, but there's a very real chance that their player base is small enough as it stands that they just can't afford to chase a lot of users away, and that often looks like it's a very real danger with any "direction".

Player numbers today were as high as they have ever been except record highs. But pretty close to records really, looking at the Steam numbers.

Edited by Johnny Z, 26 June 2016 - 05:56 PM.

#24 Choppah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 174 posts
  • LocationIn transit, ETA unknown.

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:01 PM

Truncated an earlier post of mine for relevance:

View PostChoppah, on 31 May 2016 - 07:30 PM, said:

PGI has continually shot themselves in the foot by trying to cater to everyone and ending up with no one as a consumer base, except for BT/MW fans who were already going to play regardless. MWO isn’t anything particular special in any category that would attract more players; it’s not noob friendly enough to attract casuals, not deep enough to attract gamers, and not sim-like enough to attract the dedicated sim crowd. PGI doesn’t understand their current audience and they don’t know how to attract other groups either.

I keep seeing endlessly repeated posts that a MW is niche genre. Mechs really aren't that disliked among gamers. Mechs are cool, do something really cool with them and watch the money flow. I barely have any memories of MW2 and still got into MWO because I like mechs. MWO simply needs more content and depth to attract different audiences. "What about the casuals?" I hear over and over again. Let's face it, casuals aren't biting, but I'm sure the more hardcore crowds will bite if they see something worth their time. Just rip out the dumb inexplicable stuff like ghost heat, which is already on the chopping block anyway, and have a complete wiki/manual/guide (smurfy can't do all the work).

Quote from same post as above:

I continue to play MWO not because it is great game that just happened to get lost in a sea of games, but it is an OK mech game that does something different but never really goes anywhere due to lack of content and the outright refusal from the dev team to reevaluate and expand base game mechanics.

The reason I keep hoping for an engine port, as was hinted at, was it will finally allow PGI to make some fundamental changes to the game and they can totally play it off as needed changes because legacy code/engine/unicorn/whatever. I don't care what reasons they come up with, just make the game mechanics deeper to allow a continual expansion of content that doesn't end up in massive balance swings. Set things up properly this time and make most every mech, weapon, and equipment viable and with some semblance of balance (no more eternally bad flamers, vindicators, command console, etc). If PGI want money they have to be willing to attract an audience that has it. Relying on BT/MW whales won't last forever.

Edited by Choppah, 26 June 2016 - 06:01 PM.

#25 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:03 PM

they are almost certainly chasing away more by chasing their tail than by picking a direction, unless it's a realyl stupid direction... like Mechassault. (supply drops, anyone?)

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 26 June 2016 - 06:03 PM.

#26 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:08 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 26 June 2016 - 05:54 PM, said:

Well said.

I think they are trying to make a modern MechWarrior 2 mercs, but for persistent online.

Player numbers today were as high as they have ever been except record highs. But pretty close to records really, looking at the Steam numbers.
I wasn't making a "The game is dying" comment; merely that the total player count isn't high enough to support alienating many by upsetting the status wuo in a significant way.

#27 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:14 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 June 2016 - 06:03 PM, said:

they are almost certainly chasing away more by chasing their tail than by picking a direction, unless it's a realyl stupid direction... like Mechassault. (supply drops, anyone?)

I dunno. Maybe they're in a good midpoint? It's all guesswork till it happens.

I know personally I can't give up more mechsimishness myself. Any direction other than more battletech would mean I'd likely stop playing entirely. I imagine the same applies to many.

Note that I agree, and a more focused direction would probably be a better game, but it may not be a more commercially successful one.

#28 GenghisJr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 278 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:18 PM

MWO is a customiseable Simulator/First Person Shooter, first and foremost.-From someone who had no idea of the lore until they started playing. I find this aspect of the game the most appealing.

#29 FalconerGray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 362 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:29 PM

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10000 times."

#30 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:44 PM

The direction MWO should take is to recognize the traits that made previoius MW/BT/MC games great.

And take those characteristics to the next level.

Posted Image

#31 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,012 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:49 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 26 June 2016 - 04:10 PM, said:

Bishop Steiner commented that PGI seems to not know what they really want MWO to be or they're not sticking to their decision.

So that presents the question, where should PGI take MWO?

The answer is MWO tactical combat simulator

I picture 3 aspects

1) Quick play and you get all we have now in quick play

2) Grand adventure of CW but changed from what we have now, you enter this door and your dropped into in the team/unit (if not in a unit you will be assigned to a unit) this a faction warfare simulator and you’re in a fight for the Inner sphere

3) Single player campaign: you move through the MWO universe on your personal quest
You might drop in PVE, CW, “quick play" or be involved in CW but you have to manage your life and Mechs.
You can be Clan, Merc, or IS all have their risks and rewards

#32 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:38 PM

View PostSuomiWarder, on 26 June 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

They seem to keep heading South. I would prefer any of the other three cardinal directions.

I wish it was more south. Would be great to have an Oceanic Server. Perhaps have a Winter sale right now while I try to warm up to a hot chocolate.

#33 VorpalAnvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 724 posts
  • LocationThe Cantillon Brewery

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:41 PM

What direction? Clockwise, around the toilet drain.

Also, all these people begging for PvE, aka T5 safe space; that's never gonna happen. PGI can barely program a turret, let alone NPC mechs. It's about as likely to happen as the game becoming 3025 stock mode only ( thank god).

Edited by VorpalAnvil, 26 June 2016 - 11:48 PM.

#34 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:51 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 26 June 2016 - 04:26 PM, said:

MWO has no clear direction because there aren't enough Mechwarrior fans or MWO players to pick a clear direction.

Every time PGI surprises me and does exactly what I want them to do, I am flabbergasted as half the community screams with outrage.
  • I ask for big maps with many options for maneuvers. The community complains that MWO is a walking simulator.
  • I ask for a few maps where sniping is a viable tactic. The community complains that there's hardly any brawling in MWO.
  • I ask for information warfare. The community complains that PGI is robbing them of doritos and taking away features.
  • I ask for role warfare, synergy and equality among weight classes. The community complains that light mechs are too OP and assault mechs should cut through light mechs like paper.
  • I ask for Solaris. The community complains that esports deathmatch is boring and a waste of resources.
PGI doesn't know what the community wants, and I don't blame them. Every time PGI does something I agree with, the forums explode with outrage. I'm feeling more and more alienated by the community, and I wonder if it's partially because a lot of the people who wanted the same things as me have already moved on to other games. I don't want to over-simplify the situation though. Taste is a really complex thing when it comes to reviving old computer game series and adapting them to a new format (MMO PVP)

TL;DR - It would probably have been much easier for PGI if they just took a game like MW2:Mercs and decided to make a 2013-version of that game. Then people would have had very simple and predictable expectations. On the other hand, the game would never have been even 1/10th as popular, probably.

Give the Mechwarrrior simulator guys a real CW and let the CoD/e-sports crowd have quickplay. Bam, literally everyone is happy.

#35 Ex Atlas Overlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 12:27 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 26 June 2016 - 04:10 PM, said:

Bishop Steiner commented that PGI seems to not know what they really want MWO to be or they're not sticking to their decision.

So that presents the question, where should PGI take MWO?

Whatever direction it takes to weed out the crap team mates I've been getting all event.

#36 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:42 AM

View Postadamts01, on 26 June 2016 - 11:51 PM, said:

Give the Mechwarrrior simulator guys a real CW and let the CoD/e-sports crowd have quickplay. Bam, literally everyone is happy.

That's a good idea actually.

#37 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:55 AM

North. MWO should definately head north.

#38 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 27 June 2016 - 01:57 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 27 June 2016 - 01:42 AM, said:

That's a good idea actually.

You shouldn't agree with me, you'll get a bad reputation.

#39 EvilCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:16 AM

It is simple, stop thinking "viable", start thinking "epic".

done

#40 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 June 2016 - 02:17 AM

View Postadamts01, on 26 June 2016 - 11:51 PM, said:

I like it
I also thought it's supposed to be like that
Only that how to get there is the question for PGI

Hell you can add a Solaris add on for eSport lovers

44 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 44 guests, 0 anonymous users