Opinions On Build Adjustment

16 replies to this topic

#1 Seraphinx

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:41 PM

OK, so I've been saving my pennies... I have a KDK-3 w/ basically (4) AC10s (two ultra, two vanilla), and I've really been loving it. I squeezed in AMS and a VII Targeting Computer, at the expense of horsepower... It's mastered, and I sprint at 54/kph... BOOOOO. If I dump the targeting computer, I can take Ferro-Fibrous, and fit a 375XL, which will be a big step up. Thoughts? Maps like Alpine Peaks really really suck for me, but I'm not really a "veteran", so I'm unsure how much the TC is doing for me. I'd have to blow my C-Bills to do this, so I was hoping for some pro-tips. I love this 'Mech, but I'm also looking at trying out an Arctic Cheetah, and I can't do both... at least not yet.

While I'm at it, I just had a personal best... I'm sure many of you may do this all the time, but this was my first time breaking 1k, w/ a match score of 666 no less, so I'm posting it. Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:04 PM

Dump TC, get the bigger engine of at least a XL 350 or 360, dump rest into ferro and ammo.

Also, not to be harping or anything, but have the same weapons. Having two different autocannons can really hurt you in the long run if Ammo A to Gun A is destroyed, and it's the last of it, as opposed to having all the same ammo and weapon.

Just my bit on what could improve.

Edited by Procurator Derek, 27 June 2016 - 08:19 PM.

#3 Carl Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:07 PM

The Kodiak 3 is one of the few Clan mechs I have with no targeting computer.

My Kodiak 3 has an XL 380, 4 uac 10s, 9.5 tons of ammo. Has Double HS, Endo and Ferro. This is one assault where using ferro is an advantage, more tons for ammo.

#4 IdolElite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 175 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA, Terra

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:26 PM

Endo Steel is always a better choice over Ferro Fibrous.

I think that targeting computer is just taking up too much space and weight, that's a lot of xl engine you could add if you drop it.

Edited by IdolElite, 27 June 2016 - 08:36 PM.

#5 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:29 PM

I do have Endo and know it is better. This is one of the rare cases where you can ALSO have Ferro due to not using the extra crit slots by a long shot so using ferro for the extra tonnage to allow for more ammo and even then you are not even close to using all the crit slots.

#6 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:35 PM

The Clan's 7 crits Ferro and Endo which the IS can only dream about is really awesome.

#7 IdolElite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 175 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA, Terra

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:37 PM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 27 June 2016 - 08:29 PM, said:

I do have Endo and know it is better.

I'm not sure if this referred to my post or not, I was only referring to the OP. He mentioned getting ferro but said nothing of endo.

Edited by IdolElite, 27 June 2016 - 08:38 PM.

#8 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:43 PM

View PostIdolElite, on 27 June 2016 - 08:37 PM, said:

I'm not sure if this referred to my post or not, I was only referring to the OP. He mentioned getting ferro but said nothing of endo.

Fair enough, I just assumed he had doubles and endo as that is the standard.

View PostHit the Deck, on 27 June 2016 - 08:35 PM, said:

The Clan's 7 crits Ferro and Endo which the IS can only dream about is really awesome.

There is always one.

#9 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:52 PM

Couple of builds I use:

XL375 4xUAC10 660 bullets Runs really hot but can core anything out in a few shots.

XL 375 2xUAC10 2xUAC5 and 4SPL
Doesn't run as hot as 4 UAC10s but doesn't quite core something out as fast either. The lasers are mainly for killing lights but when you're out of ammo you'll be glad you brought them.

Don't put AC10s on, either replace when with UAC5s or UAC10s, the whole point is to double tap, it already fires like an AC10 when you hold down the trigger or wait for the cooldown so there is no benefit to bringing an AC10.

Ghost heat eats a lot of the DPS so the combo of UAC5/10 is very effective.

#10 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:55 PM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 27 June 2016 - 08:43 PM, said:

There is always one.

I wanted to say that you should try putting both on Clan 'Mechs when possible, and to rub that inherent Clan vs IS imbalance sometimes Posted Image

#11 Seraphinx

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:58 PM

View PostIdolElite, on 27 June 2016 - 08:37 PM, said:

Sorry, just to clarify, I do have Endo already.

View PostProcurator Derek, on 27 June 2016 - 08:04 PM, said:

Dump TC, get the bigger engine of at least a XL 350 or 360, dump rest into ferro and ammo. Also, not to be harping or anything, but have the same weapons. Having two different autocannons can really hurt you in the long run if Ammo A to Gun A is destroyed, and it's the last of it, as opposed to having all the same ammo and weapon. Just my bit on what could improve.

Good point. I could see that happening, and I'll keep an eye on it, but so far it hasn't been a problem. My reasoning was to take advantage of the UAC10 weapon modules, and burst damage of the Ultras, while maintaining the reliability of the regulars, and so far it has worked well for me. I'll definitely bear that in mind, and keep an eye on it. I do appreciate the feedback.

Edit: OK, so I just found out the UACs only jam while double-tapping... I may have to take your advice. Thank you!

Edited by Seraphinx, 27 June 2016 - 09:12 PM.

#12 Seraphinx

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:04 PM

View PostXetelian, on 27 June 2016 - 08:52 PM, said:

Couple of builds I use: XL375 4xUAC10 660 bullets Runs really hot but can core anything out in a few shots. XL 375 2xUAC10 2xUAC5 and 4SPL Doesn't run as hot as 4 UAC10s but doesn't quite core something out as fast either. The lasers are mainly for killing lights but when you're out of ammo you'll be glad you brought them. Don't put AC10s on, either replace when with UAC5s or UAC10s, the whole point is to double tap, it already fires like an AC10 when you hold down the trigger or wait for the cooldown so there is no benefit to bringing an AC10. Ghost heat eats a lot of the DPS so the combo of UAC5/10 is very effective.

Dig the builds. My concern w/ going all Ultras was they seem to lock up so much... but maybe there is something I am missing? Do they only lock up when you double-tap?

I considered throwing on some SPLs, but I have a hard time thinking I'm getting my moneys worth vs. an extra 60 shots of AC10. I have run out, not often, but when I DO run out, it's not without putting a LOT of dmg on the table, and I have to wonder if I'd really throw up as much, compromising on ammo.

#13 Funkin Disher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPPC Apocalypse Bunker, Sydney

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:12 PM

Something like this mayhap?
KDK-3
Changing the AC/10s to UAC10/s saves you 2 slots, which actually becomes pretty important when taking Ferro for the 3 tons you can use for ammo, engine, more heatsinks or backup lasers

#14 Seraphinx

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:14 PM

View PostFunkin Disher, on 27 June 2016 - 09:12 PM, said:

Something like this mayhap?
KDK-3
Changing the AC/10s to UAC10/s saves you 2 slots, which actually becomes pretty important when taking Ferro for the 3 tons you can use for ammo, engine, more heatsinks or backup lasers

Possibly.

Am I wasting my time w/ AMS?

#15 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:17 PM

View PostSeraphinx, on 27 June 2016 - 09:14 PM, said:

Possibly.

Am I wasting my time w/ AMS?

Yes an no, If you can handle having AMS over more ammo or equipment, then you are alright.

Oh how I can count the times I've been in an assault with no AMS support...

And you're welcome for before, if you used multiple different autocannons like the dakka wolf could (aka Dire Wolf), then more power to you on variation of autocannons.

#16 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:20 PM

View PostSeraphinx, on 27 June 2016 - 09:04 PM, said:

Dig the builds. My concern w/ going all Ultras was they seem to lock up so much... but maybe there is something I am missing? Do they only lock up when you double-tap?

I considered throwing on some SPLs, but I have a hard time thinking I'm getting my moneys worth vs. an extra 60 shots of AC10. I have run out, not often, but when I DO run out, it's not without putting a LOT of dmg on the table, and I have to wonder if I'd really throw up as much, compromising on ammo.

Consider the locking up as heat control. It is going to happen and when it does you dont overheat as quickly.

#17 Seraphinx

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 09:21 PM

View PostProcurator Derek, on 27 June 2016 - 09:17 PM, said:

Yes an no, If you can handle having AMS over more ammo or equipment, then you are alright.

Oh how I can count the times I've been in an assault with no AMS support...

And you're welcome for before, if you used multiple different autocannons like the dakka wolf could (aka Dire Wolf), then more power to you on variation of autocannons.

Well, it seems I've been under an incorrect assumption that the UACs jam whether you're double-tapping or not, so it sounds like I probably SHOULD go w/ all Ultras, and just change my approach a bit. Thanks again, I think I'll take it. :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users