View PostI Zeratul I, on 27 June 2016 - 10:19 PM, said:

Posted Image

Sunken Forest, Kaindy Lake, Kazakhstan

Posted Image

Birch forests, Russia

Posted Image

Zhangjiajie National Forest, China

Posted Image

Yili Apricot Valley, China(trees remind me of the FW map with lavender trees)

All of these images came from:

http://www.treehugge...fit-fairytales/

I'm sure there are far better images out there map designers might look towards for inspiration.

Apricot valley could make for an interesting map design as the ground is so contoured and uneven.

Any1 have images of terrain they wouldn't mind seeing made into a map?

+1 for desert map. With a Sarlaac pit or Giant Worms to make it interesting. :)

#22 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:10 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 28 June 2016 - 06:50 AM, said:

I think it's been done...

Posted Image

I think Maaxxx meant have around a 90 km2 area. Posted Image

#23 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

I want maps that are set in and around critical places in Lore instead of abandoned backwaters. I want maps based around a few of the Battle of Tukayyid, the Battle of Luthien, a battle around (and in!) a mech factory.

I want a proper desert map instead of Canyon Network and Tourmaline Desert, but, I think that is my time living in Prescott, Arizona talking to me and fond memories of MW4:Mercs. Some more varied maps like the snowy facility that you help defend in MW4:Mercs. Some more maps like Crimson Strait with varied levels where battles can happen and which direction the fight can come in from.

I would also enjoy in general more dense urban maps to roughly the density that you see in River City behind the Citadel where you can get one or two mechs side by side on a road, would make radar derp rather interesting and stressful, have a few parks and squares where people would probably prefer to stick to and places where objectives would be.

Could also be fun to have a map that is a valley with some good sized hills, some ravines, few reservoirs (and an actual lake) that cuts from rolling farmland to forested hillsides with small towns here and there, this is more of where 3rd and 4th succession war battles happened as to not destroy precious tech, resources and whatnot. Plus giving a large variation of land features makes it easier to call out where you spotted something, like "Locust running up the ravine in Delta five" or "spotted three heavies in the wheat fields going towards the forest at gamma eight". Plus having hills as well as steep hills and ravines you would have LRM cover, as well as with thick forests (no need to go crazy with 180m tall trees, you can have them at more reasonable 20m) that block line of sight and locking (unless you feel like clearing a path through said trees with ballistics or running through them) would help alleviate over saturation of information and create more dynamic battles based on where teams and players go.This would be due to that there would be multiple viable locations without the issues that Polar has with it's lack of LRM cover making radar derp, ecm, and constant watch for spotters and UAV's a quick way to develop paranoia and an immense love of AMS (though we still need to encourage AMS more).

Oh that last one went a bit further in depth than intended, lol. Maybe PGI needs to go download Megamek and set it to random with 4x4, 4x5, 4x6, 5x5, 5x6, and 6x6 map sheets (each map sheet being 16x17 hexes of course and a 2x2 map sheet board being about 1kmx1km area), it does give some interesting results on random.

#24 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:39 AM

Any thing that doesn't have a defining feature or geography. No moba choke points,ring of dumb ***, h ten alpine etc.

#25 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

View PostYellonet, on 28 June 2016 - 07:36 AM, said:

Popularity for this map would be through the roof in pug queue.
Posted Image

It already is that is basicaly HPG Manifold without the array in the middle.

#26 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:05 PM

Posted Image

I lold.

The map pugs need but don't deserve.

The chariot race course from ben hur.

Posted Image

#27 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:11 PM

View PostI Zeratul I, on 28 June 2016 - 05:05 PM, said:

I lold.

The map pugs need but don't deserve.

The chariot race course from ben hur.

Posted Image

We had that in MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries, it is the Steiner Arena in Solaris
Posted Image
So sure, why not, apparently we want more mindless death match gameplay why not give just as equally mindless of a map :P

#28 Brandarr Gunnarson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 847 posts

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:00 PM

"Call it Archipelago:
A series of tropical, volcanic islands with chest-high and deeper water between them!
I envision stealthy underwater movements, storming beaches from a blue-green ocean, a mild ambient temperature (34 C) with some craters and lava flow canyons and densely forested mountain slopes.

It'd be a mix of temperatures, because you'd get the cooling effect when in the water, moderate air temperature and hot lava at the high spots and trenches.

Would blend ranged and brawling because you could shoot across from one island to another but would have plenty of hidden spaces and cover to move up close."

From a thread I made a while back: http://mwomercs.com/...rchipelago-map/

#29 Mechwarrior1441491

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:54 AM

A map for Terra. Fighting around the Pyramids and the Sphinx on the outskirts of Cairo, just like the book when Word of Blake invaded and kicked ComStar off of Terra.

View PostMoonlight Grimoire, on 28 June 2016 - 05:11 PM, said:

We had that in MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries, it is the Steiner Arena in Solaris
Posted Image
So sure, why not, apparently we want more mindless death match gameplay why not give just as equally mindless of a map Posted Image

Make the Solaris map dynamic with random elements placed for each map. Random hills, buildings and choke points so no one ever masters the map for leverage.

#30 XxXAbsolutZeroXxX

• The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:31 PM

Posted Image

BTW.

That could be a brilliant idea.

On every map people normally run towards the center.

To break up the repetitive factor the answer could be -- a map that doesn't have a center.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users