#81 Red Shrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:58 AM

View Postgrievoussmaug, on 01 July 2016 - 12:39 AM, said:

Light mechs are for scouting, not for fighting. lights are supposed to snipe, not to brawl. End of discussion.

Unfortunetly scouting has no value in this game, so yeah. You would never expect a jeep with a 30cal to take on an Abrams MBT. Why would that be different in MWO?

Whereas you can't destroy an Abrams with a .30 cal, you can destroy an Atlas with an MG, all you need is time and ammo.
So a light can indeed take out bigger mechs, they just have to not get hit by return fire.

#82 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:49 AM

View PostDivineEvil, on 29 June 2016 - 07:58 AM, said:

Jumpjets are the most efficient on Lights.

Not true, actually.
CLASS V JUMP JETS generate 37 points of vertical boost while CLASS IV JUMP JETS weight the same and have 75 points of vertical boost. That is why the Cicada-F with 8JJ is the highest jumping mech in the game (better than 12JJ Spider).

Edited by Kmieciu, 01 July 2016 - 01:50 AM.

#83 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:24 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 01 July 2016 - 01:49 AM, said:

Not true, actually.
CLASS V JUMP JETS generate 37 points of vertical boost while CLASS IV JUMP JETS weight the same and have 75 points of vertical boost. That is why the Cicada-F with 8JJ is the highest jumping mech in the game (better than 12JJ Spider).

soon Viper.

#84 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:59 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 01 July 2016 - 01:49 AM, said:

Not true, actually.

And unless something has changed medium mechs also take a lower percentage of damage when taking fall damage. As in it takes more minimum fall damage drops to leg a medium than a light.

#85 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:38 AM

View Postgrievoussmaug, on 01 July 2016 - 12:39 AM, said:

Light mechs are for scouting, not for fighting. lights are supposed to snipe, not to brawl. End of discussion.

Unfortunetly scouting has no value in this game, so yeah. You would never expect a jeep with a 30cal to take on an Abrams MBT. Why would that be different in MWO?

Not a good comparison. Most of the weapons you find on Heavy and Assault 'Mechs you also find on Light 'Mechs.

So, really, the Light is a Humvee with a 120 mm gun.

#86 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:34 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 01 July 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:

Not a good comparison. Most of the weapons you find on Heavy and Assault 'Mechs you also find on Light 'Mechs.

So, really, the Light is a Humvee with a 120 mm gun.

Probably not a 120mm main gun. That's a guaranteed kill if a hit is achieved within more than a mile.

More like a 25mm.

#87 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:42 PM

View PostScarecrowES, on 01 July 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

Probably not a 120mm main gun. That's a guaranteed kill if a hit is achieved within more than a mile.

More like a 25mm.

40 mm, more like.

Still, the jist of it is that the two have access to more or less the same weapons, but one doesn't have to sacrifice armor and ammo to do it. Also, tanks are pretty fast, too...they are electronically governed to keep the people inside alive.

#88 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:37 PM

View PostRed Shrike, on 29 June 2016 - 12:35 PM, said:

My Wolfhound is doing just fine.

Silly comments like this just add nothing to the discussion. No matter how bad, or good, a mech/weapon is there is always someone who claims it's "fine". What does that even mean? What are your expectations of performance you are rating it on?

View PostJackalBeast, on 29 June 2016 - 06:47 PM, said:

"You know how hard it is to pilot a light mech?"

So hard, brah. Jesus **** whine harder. Seriously I don't think whining could reach this level in text form.

Look at it this way, just once imagine there is a world where mechs that weigh ten's of tons exist. Whether nerfed or altered or whatever you want to think in tryhard world, a light mech should not be Spasmastic Johnson. There are other weights you should try out if your pet mech is no longer as viable as it once was. Just saying, it's better than the alternative.

The alternative being 4 equally useful weight classes?

#89 Random Carnage

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:00 PM

I can't help feel a certain satisfaction about this situation. For a LONG time, when I raised the point of my Dire being so slow and un-maneuverable, the light fanboi's gleefully suggested that it was my fault for not taking a faster mech, rather than acknowledging that every mech should have it's place in the game.

Oh how the worm has turned.

Still, I expect a "correction" will be in the works at some point - unlike for the Dire.

Edited by Random Carnage, 01 July 2016 - 04:00 PM.

#90 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:09 PM

View PostRandom Carnage, on 01 July 2016 - 04:00 PM, said:

I can't help feel a certain satisfaction about this situation. For a LONG time, when I raised the point of my Dire being so slow and un-maneuverable, the light fanboi's gleefully suggested that it was my fault for not taking a faster mech, rather than acknowledging that every mech should have it's place in the game.

Still, I expect a "correction" will be in the works at some point - unlike for the Dire.

Actually I have always stated that the direwhale and the stalker were the easiest assaults to solo if caught alone. Has little to do with agility and more to do with your torso twist being so limited.

#91 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:14 PM

View PostRandom Carnage, on 01 July 2016 - 04:00 PM, said:

The Dire is supposed to be a slow hulk though, able to pack an absurd amount of firepower because of that fact.

The problem is, because of how poorly designed the game has been from Day 1, light mechs have gotten routinely screwed over in just about everyway, shape and form, and this increase is size just happens to be the most glaring piece of visual evidence of that fact.

Because of how heavily weighted this game is towards damage output, light mechs can't complete with their medium/heavy/assault brethren when it comes to C-Bills/XP, this is made doubly worse by not having proper rewards for scouting/narcing/tagging/holding locks on enemy mechs, you know, scouting.

Then we come to the third point, being the maps themselves. The maps are simply too god damned small for lights to be able to scout properly, even huge maps like Alpine Peaks since you can see the enemy mechs pretty much as soon as you spawn in some spots. Don't need scouts when you don't have atmospheric affects to cloud your vision.

Until these issues are addressed, light mechs will continue to just be a sort of "hard mode" for people who want to challenge themselves, or people like Darian there who manage to adapt light mechs to the BS game mechanics MWO has suffered with since inception.

To Darian DelFord and the few people like him, major props.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users