6 replies to this topic

#1 Syanis

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSE Asia

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:33 PM

First off sorry if this has been asked before. I tried searching but about everything I can find it very dated usually at least a year old if not 2+ years old.

So my questions as a newb looking at faction play.

1. What is the point of factions or rewards?
2. What is the difference between faction, merc, or freelance as far as reward system goes?
3. Is there any difference as far as rewards between factions other than possible cosmetics?
4. How do you pick which faction is right for you or won't be overcrowded or understaffed meaning super long queues or such?
5. How to go about finding a unit to play with that fits your playstyle (maybe your hardcore or maybe casual)?
6. When should a relative newbie be looking to join a faction and get into faction play? Should you already have a decked out mech and/or pilot skills or simply when your fairly confident you understand the basics and do alright to quickplay?

Extras:
7. Is faction play fairly active or dead (the little I can find suggest its mostly dead other then a few groups)? Also with that do many people actually do faction play?
8. Can you faction play w/o spending gobs of money? I have no problem a few bucks now and then but I don't feel like dropping money like $20 every month on this just for a new mech or such.

Thanks to any who may be able to offer some assistance.
Syanis

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:19 PM

1: Factions for fun and lore. Rewards for Mechbays

2: Faction players can vote on attack lanes and get faction loyalty points, (check the achievement section for that.) Mercenaries can take contracts an thus fight for whomever without having to take a ten match waiting period or a leaving faction penalty. Freelancers can hop inna matches right quick an can move about wherever, but don't really get much say in anything.

3: Only difference between factions is you can nab rank two in one and then leave to grab rank two in another. Oh, and whom you fight.

4:Personally, I'd suggest some freelancing and/or mercing it up to try out the factions, see where you wanna be afore you commit. As for queues, the Falcon/Stiener front has long been the most active.

5: Get on TS an ask to drop with units, or drop solo an chat with units when you get em as teammates.

6: Most folk suggest you have four of your own customer mechs. Personally, I started CW when I had but one. I feel that if your confident in the basics give it a try, but understand your trial mechs if that what you hafta bring and be willing to stick with the team.

7: I play on what is considered some of the least active times, and it's the only reason I play this game. Sure some nights it's dead, but not enough to keep me away. (More often happens during quickplay only events. Also, note I mentioned earlier that the Falcon/Stiener border is more active'n most.)

8: I had some two dozen mechs afore I ran outta mech bays an first chose to spend money on this game. Granted, once I thought about it I felt it was worth it an bought a few of mechpacks after realizing I'd gone six months without spending a dime on video games thanks to MWO, but yeah, it is truely free to play.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 28 June 2016 - 11:27 PM.

#3 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:36 PM

You can test the waters by dropping as a solo player. However, you will need to either join a faction as a Loyalist or create a 1 man unit in order to do so.

I would suggest using a 1 man unit as the mercenary contract only lasts a week and you can then sign up with a different faction if you so choose.

I do not recommend freelancing as your ability to choose whether to join the attack or defend queues is limited as well as which planets to drop on. I do recommend joining attack queues rather than defend queues as you are likelier to team up with a partial group (i.e. less than 12) which tends to give you a better idea of what effective gameplay in FP looks like.

Currently for SEA, choose either Jade Falcons (Clan) or Free Rasalhague Republic / Steiner (IS) to be able to consistently get matches. It is unlikely that you will get as many matches with other factions due to low population other than on weekends.

After dropping with a specific faction for a couple of weeks you will start to familiarize yourself with the various groups / players. At this point, you could try asking for TS3 information so you can join them in their drops on a more regular basis. Generally, the more inclusive groups tend to advertise this information anyway in Team / Faction chat and have minimal issues with taking on a new FP player.

If you are impatient to actually join up with a group to drop, just ask in Faction chat if anyone is grouping up for a drop and for their TS3 info.

Just bear in mind that FP is not QP and follow orders if any. If none, just stick with the group and shoot what they shoot.

There is nothing stopping you from having a full deck of trial mechs for a FP drop as long as you are able to use them effectively.

Hope that helps.

Edited by p4r4g0n, 28 June 2016 - 11:36 PM.

#4 Syanis

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSE Asia

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:42 PM

Thanks. When you say 4 (custom I assume) mechs should they be maxed out or not needed? I'm assuming just your own purchased mechs. I did try and look at dropping in as a freelance but each mech shown was a trial mech and I figured would try another day then deal with trial mechs again.

#5 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:45 PM

View PostSyanis, on 28 June 2016 - 11:42 PM, said:

Thanks. When you say 4 (custom I assume) mechs should they be maxed out or not needed? I'm assuming just your own purchased mechs. I did try and look at dropping in as a freelance but each mech shown was a trial mech and I figured would try another day then deal with trial mechs again.

Before clicking on button to start the drop, edit your deck. You can choose to use your own mechs or different trial mechs. The only limitations are the tonnage restriction and you must bring 4.

#6 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:12 AM

Since you're vry likely be dropping as a solo players in your first few FP matches here are a few tips that might make the experience a little less painfull. The most important thing if you are dropping solo in FP as a new low/average skilled players is to carefully pick your matches.

A few basic rules:

- Never ever click on one of those Call to Arms thingies. Clicking on pop - ups on the net is usually a bad idea, same goes for MWO

- Attacking is easier than defending, you have a much higher chance of playing against pug teams. So if you have the chance to join an attack go for it.

- If you jump in the defense queue do not just select the planet with the biggest numbers and click defend, always check the queue info and what matches are running (defense/counter - attacks)

- Join anytime you see a premade queued up. You'll never know if the group is made of good or bad players of course but it's still better than playing with a full pug team.

- If you're brave enough or drop with a team of 12 single players try to avoid counter attacks. If you know how the mechanic works you can tell if the next game is a def/counter and it would take too long to explain it here in full. But if for example 2 defs and 1 counter are running on a planet the next match will be counter. If you want to know more I'd be happy to help, just contact me.

#7 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:21 PM

I have gotten lazy, and offer, Spike Brave's Tutorial. They're the top ones.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 30 June 2016 - 10:21 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users