Your Thoughts About Mwo As It Is At This Moment

146 replies to this topic

#1 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:26 AM

Just want to know the thoughts of the community about the game in the current form,

here is what i think so far,

basic combat is great, fairly balanced compared to all other MW games that been out, MW 2 till MW4 was pretty much get an assault Mech ASAP but in MWO even lights have value, any weight class can contribute in a meaningful way. As a free to play title, I think its okay and as a Mechwarrior game it has miles to go to actually deserve the MW name that it has in the title. I consider it as big stompy online with a MW skin. That Skin it is really the only reason i stick around.

Quick play just doesn't cut it anymore, skirmish, assault, conquest and domination are just skirmish in the end. FP is pretty much dead, after 5 years still no real missions, no PvE, no Coop, no AI to fill in the gaps in FP for shorter wait times, a silly command wheel that no one asked for that is just an other key to stumble over which in matches was very obvious due to the kind of involuntary spam. A tournament that was way too soon and managed poorly from what I could hear form some participants.

Gundam capsule fighters has missions, at a very basic level and manage to be fun just for the fact its coop, Titanfall has AI to fill the gaps when there is not enough players around, a small campaign for 2 up to 12 players shouldn't that hard to do after the academy is completed.

For FP, why not do solo missions, coop missions and PVP with added AI for faction play ? like solo could be like solo scouting, assassination or sabotage and could influence the planet the player is participating on up to 5%, missions in coop 2 to 12 players should influence the planet 5% up to 30%, so current lance scouting could still count as 25% and invasion count as 40%

keeping the game only PVP hurts it and wont keep players around, PVP only players are far from the mass and even less when its big stompy robots.

#2 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:32 AM

Honestly? I'm not playing much anymore. It's been years and PGI still hasn't made any engaging complex game modes. FW is dull at best and feels like having your balls sandpapered raw at worst.

Ultimately... PGI ****** themselves by choosing cryengine. Yes it was the onyl one they could afford, but that one choice basically killed mwo's chances of being anything more than arena deathmatch.

I'll be around still. Do a few drops a week... but the joy and excitement is gone and honestly... if PGI doesn't do somehting to make FW interesting mwo is dead because it's never gonna be an esport. Still it's the only battletech game around... for now. Once HBS game comes out... I might be done for good.

Edited by Narcissistic Martyr, 29 June 2016 - 05:35 AM.

#3 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:33 AM

Content is a joke. The game has three public queue modes with no variety. Community Faction Warfare is underwhelming. The addition of the four-vs-four mode is a step in the right direction, but is hardly enough. Maps and mechs are not content. We could have a thousand maps and ten thousand mechs, but due to the lack of gameplay options, the game would still feel tired.

Gameplay-wise, the game is stagnant. The game functionally behaves exactly the same as it did when the clans initially launched. Tactics have changed only on a per-map basis, with some variety only from chasing the current meta.

Artistically, the game is moving in the right direction. Art has always been its strong suit.

If I had to pick a single word, I would pick "stagnant". It's not really moving in any solid direction whatsoever.

#4 process

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:38 AM

The artwork and mechs are beautiful, and the game plays pretty well, but the balance is still off and there isn't any meaningful depth. Despite the great improvement that PGI has made in response to player feedback, the game still feels like a beta. The only thing really keeping me here is the nostalgia factor.

#5 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:40 AM

It keeps getting better, slowly and steadily and occasionally in jumps. It still has a long way to go to a AAA game but that is understandable. I keep playing because it still feels compelling in a way that other FPS's just don't.

#6 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:45 AM

It is almost flawless.
The only thing missing is BACON COCKPIT ITEMS.

#7 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:52 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 29 June 2016 - 05:32 AM, said:

Honestly? I'm not playing much anymore. It's been years and PGI still hasn't made any engaging complex game modes. FW is dull at best and feels like having your balls sandpapered raw at worst.

Ultimately... PGI ****** themselves by choosing cryengine. Yes it was the onyl one they could afford, but that one choice basically killed mwo's chances of being anything more than arena deathmatch.

I'll be around still. Do a few drops a week... but the joy and excitement is gone and honestly... if PGI doesn't do somehting to make FW interesting mwo is dead because it's never gonna be an esport. Still it's the only battletech game around... for now. Once HBS game comes out... I might be done for good.
I hear ya. Recently I myself am not playing MWO. Im over the QP game modes we have after playing them for over 3 years. I wish FP was more than it is (which was the mode i spent most of my time these past 18 months or so) but PGI honestly dont seem to care after their Phase 3 flop and i dont believe they know how to make it any better. Totally agree with " but the joy and excitement is gone and honestly... if PGI doesn't do something to make FW interesting mwo is dead because it's never gonna be an esport." As for being the only battletech game around, that may be true for now but i have other interests too and thats where my attention is going. I may still post on the forums from time to time and ill keep an eye out to see if the game changes markedly in a positive way to make it worth coming back but im not holding my breath.

#8 Blakkstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 249 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:55 AM

I've come back to playing after about a 6 month hiatus and appreciate the recent improvements, but the way the game is constructed I don't see it as anything more than an occasional diversion. FW just doesn't cut it as competitive/endgame content, and Quick Play is fairly well done for what it is, but there's no real reason to keep grinding for new mechs. Honestly without the Battletech license I would have uninstalled for good long ago.

The half-baked FW mode is too slow, clunky, and feels completely artificial rather than anything resembling planetary conquest. This game really needs Solaris arena combat as more accessible and varied competitive play.

#9 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:59 AM

Fun core gameplay is worth a lot. And mwo is a lot of fun. Ive been playing it for years. Since you play against other ppl it never really gets stale. Id rather they invest more into more weapons and more maps and 2 - 3 other fun game modes. But as it is mwo is an enjoyable game.

#10 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:01 AM

MWO in general?

QP queue is still painfully boring. Every time there is a game mode where the objective isn't "Kill everything", the community complains until it's neutered to become little more than deathmatch with basil instead of oregano.

CW I actually enjoy, but it's only enjoyable if there's a player with a good clear voice acting as drop commander, and likewise, only really enjoyable if you can get your matches quickly.

CW scouting missions just don't feel like it's really scouting. It feels like it would have worked that much better if it were simply a 4V4 matchup, and maybe pulling players from the QP cue if there are enough players for one faction.

But really, as a single player gamer, unless there's a good narrative worked into a multiplayer game, it loses my interest quickly. PGI shouldn't be surprised by this, considering that literally every Mechwarrior title up until now has been first and foremost a story-driven single player title, if not purely single-player. Hell, even the name "MechWarrior" was pulled from the Battletech tabletop RPG expansion. If you take a Single player game, set in a universe that is full of lore and has a rich narrative, and suddenly make it into a multiplayer arena shooter with four to six flavors of deathmatch, you're going to alienate a lot of the original fan base

#11 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:02 AM

As a "veteran" player its a very fun game with excellent game play. Action packed and challenging in the right ways. With the reliable fairly large updates constantly on the way theres lots to look forward to. But still missing the "magic" that Battletech can offer with the npc's and back story and galactic war and aerotech and more.

As a guess for new players, the introduction to the universe couldn't be hurtin more. The introduction to the mechanics in the mechbay couldn't be hurtin more. I also think the tutorial needs a lot of work mostly in presentation.

The off the field game play is lacking way to much since the mechbay really is nothing more than an inventory screen with tabs.

The faction play is starting to offer a fair amount of game play, but also needs quite a bit of finishing. 1 year or more with 3 half done maps does not a faction play make, which is what players had for to long. The scouting is excellent but is on maps players have had for years in a half done part of game play.

The amount of various kinds of music is miniscule which says a lot about the state of the game really. A fair ways to go for a full game of top quality but no mistakes made yet.

Edited by Johnny Z, 29 June 2016 - 06:13 AM.

#12 LowSubmarino

• Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:03 AM

Fun core gameplay is worth a lot. And mwo is a lot of fun. Ive been playing it for years. Since you play against other ppl it never really gets stale. Id rather they invest more into more weapons and more maps and 2 - 3 other fun game modes. But as it is mwo is an enjoyable game.

#13 M3 SABLE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:03 AM

The game just doesnt pass the standard expectations I have from a game this late in 2000s.

I am still waiting for a moment when I will truly feel like I am in a giant robot.

The barren, mute map environment just bores me and gives no indicator of the impact your presence makes. There is not enough destruction visually and gameplay vise.

Moreover, PGI has so many issues to solve that I dont even hope for new stuff I want to be in this game, to least be on par with previous Mechwarrior games.

I still love this game merely because it has the component based destruction. The only alive game like that atm.

However, I dont need to pay to play, so it is bearable.

Oh, and the cryengine edition they are using is a ******* piece of ****.

#14 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:05 AM

View Postice trey, on 29 June 2016 - 06:01 AM, said:

But really, as a single player gamer, unless there's a good narrative worked into a multiplayer game, it loses my interest quickly. PGI shouldn't be surprised by this, considering that literally every Mechwarrior title up until now has been first and foremost a story-driven single player title, if not purely single-player. Hell, even the name "MechWarrior" was pulled from the Battletech tabletop RPG expansion. If you take a Single player game, set in a universe that is full of lore and has a rich narrative, and suddenly make it into a multiplayer arena shooter with four to six flavors of deathmatch, you're going to alienate a lot of the original fan base

when they would at least provide some APIs (rather than the json files for weapons or omni pods) or ability to use mods/tools for the lobby the community could create real BT feeling.
To create PvE content shouldn't be a main concern for the developing team in a PvP game.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 29 June 2016 - 06:06 AM.

#15 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:07 AM

AI shouldn't be part of Faction Play anyway, AI should only be for PvE and Co-op.

#16 Baulven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 984 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:09 AM

Honestly I would like to see a lot of faction play to towards max tonnage instead of classes kind of like invasion mode. If it really suits your fancy to run ultra light mechs and a heavy as a wrecking ball to for it. But that should be up to the players, not arbitrarily decided, especially since some heavies can keep up with mediums.

#17 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:09 AM

Weapon balance is better than ever, but that's mostly because it was never decent before.

#18 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:10 AM

Went back playing other shooters again because me and most of my teammates just dont play anymore. Too stale for too long. Most of us beeing BT fans but still. Guess we would have been gone much earlier if there would be just one solid alternative. If they keep updating at that pace i hope there will be players left when this game finally gives what its great mechfeeling promises.

#19 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:12 AM

The game is on even terms and often exceeds in options available in other F2P shooters I know of.

Three gamemodes, a community warfare system, easy access to all equipment AND full and free customisation of the mechs and equipment (of course not vanity items).

If you feel MWO is limited, try the world of series, armored warfare, fractured space and the likes.
This game offers more variety than any of those,...

And please stop asking for bots. If I want to play PVE I'll buy a PVE game,...

#20 Blakkstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 249 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:13 AM

View Postice trey, on 29 June 2016 - 06:01 AM, said:

I totally agree with your premise here. Heck I still pull out the original Mechwarrior game every now and then because it has RPG elements and the feel of running a small unit built around the combat. I don't think that's ever going to get built into this game in any meaningful way though. MMOs just don't do PVE content well. If somebody crowdfunds MW5 I'm signing up instantly, but a slow stream of (what would doubtlessly be) clunky PVE missions isn't really going to transform this game.

I also disagree that arena combat (Solaris) would turn off veteran players. It's a significant part of the lore and fits perfectly into the F2P MMO game model.

Edited by Blakkstar, 29 June 2016 - 06:14 AM.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users