How Is Mwo Supposed To Work Als An E-Sport?

General

31 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Lysander

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:14 AM

E-Sports, like Sport in general relies on a large crowd of enthusiastic amateurs, who want to watch the Pro-Events. My Question is, how is this supposed to work in MWO, where almost 25% of the overall Population participate in the worldcup?
What popular Esports and real Sports have in common, is that they are easy to learn thus attracting many people who try them out and practice them on various levels of Skill. MWO isnt exactly easy on new players and who should be interested in watching it besides People that play themselves? Shouldnt PGI Focus on getting an audience First before organising a World Cup that Nobody besides the participants watches?

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:19 AM

View PostLord Lysander, on 30 June 2016 - 04:14 AM, said:

E-Sports, like Sport in general relies on a large crowd of enthusiastic amateurs, who want to watch the Pro-Events. My Question is, how is this supposed to work in MWO, where almost 25% of the overall Population participate in the worldcup?
What popular Esports and real Sports have in common, is that they are easy to learn thus attracting many people who try them out and practice them on various levels of Skill. MWO isnt exactly easy on new players and who should be interested in watching it besides People that play themselves? Shouldnt PGI Focus on getting an audience First before organising a World Cup that Nobody besides the participants watches?

Where did you get this 25% of the population participating in the tourney stats? In just one week there were over 35000 unique profiles fought in the public queue. Are you saying that almost 9000 pilots are participating in the tourney?

And Mechwarrior has always been harder to learn than the average FPS due to its unique mechanics. Are you saying that PGI should dumb it down even more than it currently is just to satisfy the average gamer? Sorta like Mech Assault?

Either way PGI will have data on just how successful/unsuccessful the whole e-sports venture is, at the end of the year. They will change their strategy accordingly.

Edited by El Bandito, 30 June 2016 - 04:21 AM.

#3 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:25 AM

I honestly don't understand all this e-sports "hype" coming from some people on the forum.

What we have now is a Minimally Viable TournamentTM.
People taking part in it understand that perfectly, I think its about time every else did as well.

To make an e-sport out of a game you need millions to play said game. Judging by the leaderboard MWO currently has under 50k players. But if somebody wants to stroke their e-peens and call themselves an e-sport, by all means ...

So, who is on the IslandTM again?

#4 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:44 AM

As you wrote PhoenixFire55,

to top it all, instead of fixing the game we get a tournament, mech-con plus monthly mech packs... still no actual fixes for FP or PvE for the casuals.

#5 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:15 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 30 June 2016 - 04:54 AM, said:

Bull$h1t!

You DO like esport, dear Black Spits Spikes member: https://mwomercs.com...25-black-spikes
And you ARE having fun with the 'Tardment, otherwise you wouldn't do it.

We don't have e-sport in MWO. We have player run leagues and we have this Minimally Viable TourmanentTM by PGI. The fact that I understand that this is a Minimally Viable TournamentTM doesn't mean I don't like it, won't play it or whatever else. Even if I didn't want to play I am a member of a team and unlike you can't abandon them just because I'm a special snowflake.

Try harder, troll....but YOU are in an island.

Grammar OP. You are ON an island.

(also, as you are so interest in my stats, I can inform you that after mastering 7 PXH, I decide to enhance my stats by mastering the OP CDA-3C, with erppc and 1uac5.....so much I care about stats, troll)

I couldn't care less about your stats, much less leaderboard position you are referring to due to the discussion we had in a different thread. I was making a joke about how meanigless such leaderboard is. If you didn't care about your stats you wouldn't be making silly excuses and/or replying in the first place. If you fail to comprehend even that then please go to school and study before joining an adult conversation on the forum.

#6 ColdPsyker1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:21 AM

I am thinking we should have a "Tier 5 Heroes"; like HTS Husky does for all his Starcraft 2 "Bronze League Heroes"

Casting the very best of the very worst!

#7 Snowbluff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:13 AM

View PostColdPsyker1, on 30 June 2016 - 05:21 AM, said:

I am thinking we should have a "Tier 5 Heroes"; like HTS Husky does for all his Starcraft 2 "Bronze League Heroes"

Casting the very best of the very worst!

Oh yeah! That would be awesome!

#8 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:01 AM

I don't personally believe in the possibility for e-sports with Mechwarrior Online. Effective E-sports requires a couple things:
  • A stable game - you can't build e-sports on top of a constantly moving platform. That's not to say things can't EVER change, but most established e-sports feature gameplay that changes only minutely. For example, the gameplay factors governing CS or Starcraft mechanics barely ever change. You can't have a moving target because that introduces the question of randomness over skill, which kills the e-sport environment. (This is not to say the game can NEVER change. The introduction of new heroes into MOBAs or new cards into card games, for example, isn't necessarily change insomuch as different avenues). MWO's constant shifting of mechanics, quirks, direction, map-design, mech-design, heat, and other factors does not a stable game-base make.
  • Comeback Capability - e-sports requires the ability to stage comebacks. Generally speaking, being down two teammates early in a MWO match spells doom for that team. While comebacks certainly are possible, they are far more rare in Mechwarrior Online and less related to individual skill or ability.
  • Fan-base - Battletech has a fan base. Mechwarrior as a brand has a fan base. I don't believe Mechwarrior Online has a true fan-base that you can absolute call it's core audience. Why? Because of alienation. Over the past 4 years, PGI has become remarkably capable of alienating audiences - especially those that came to this game with a pre-vested interest. Ask the Founders. Ask Battletech enthusiasts. Ask the Island residents. Hell, ask veterans of previous Mechwarrior games... or better yet! Ask a single person that was vested in the Mechwarrior: Living Legends story. I'm not saying it's all PGI's or IGP's fault, but hear this - who is PGI marketing this game to currently? It's not to Battletech fans, or at least, not effectively. HBS is doing that by building lore and evoking absolute nostalgia. No, PGI's target audience is the free-to-play player-base that it needs to convert into paying customers in order to keep this product alive. That's a moving target if ever there was one.

#9 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:06 AM

I don't know. Ask PGI, they know.

Hahahaha, that was a good one wasn't it? "Ask PGI, they know," hahahaha. Oh man. Where do I come up with such great jokes?

#10 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:15 AM

Just like many mechanics new to this game, this tournament is like a prototype. They will get experience in doing such things and go from there. No big deal and some people have some fun. Sounds good.

For me a concrete, accessible, in game venue like Solaris will make it a lot more attractive. I actually hope its an affordable DLC to. To keep some of the troll at arms length.

Either way its all good and looks like some fun will be had.

Edited by Johnny Z, 30 June 2016 - 10:16 AM.

#11 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:16 AM

They need to hire capcom as consultants or blizzard. Some one that knows how to make a real e-sport and make it fair. Being down 2-3 mechs in the death sentence in competitive play here. Even if you have that super rare come back of a jenner killing seven mechs the last two enemy mechs might as well just spit up the map and power down. Hard to win at ten-eleven score.

#12 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:18 AM

Before they started MWO, Russ saw a movie, "Field of Dreams" where he swears someone said to Kevin Costner, "If you build it THEY will come".

He was wrong. Kevin heard this;

"HE will come". HE. One guy,....and a couple of friends at best. This explains the population of the game. Russ listened to the voices, but heard them wrong.

#13 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:30 AM

View PostTLBFestus, on 30 June 2016 - 10:18 AM, said:

Before they started MWO, Russ saw a movie, "Field of Dreams" where he swears someone said to Kevin Costner, "If you build it THEY will come".

He was wrong. Kevin heard this;

"HE will come". HE. One guy,....and a couple of friends at best. This explains the population of the game. Russ listened to the voices, but heard them wrong.

I have no doubt at all the Commodore Ballroom will be packed for this tournament finale. That's a cool place by the way. To cool for a bunch of computer geeks. :) Some amazing live music has been there.
Easily the coolest venue anywhere is western Canada or NW US. But MechWarrior is cool to so its all good. :) All you couch potatoes going should get into shape because the women are beautiful in Vancouver. I'm sure there will be a few that will blow some minds. :)

Theres all sorts of night clubs nearby to. Its big city stuff, so to the small towns guys, don't go down the wrong alley....

Edited by Johnny Z, 30 June 2016 - 10:40 AM.

#14 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:35 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 30 June 2016 - 10:30 AM, said:

I have no doubt at all the Commodore Ballroom will be packed for this tournament finale. That's a cool place by the way. To cool for a bunch of computer geeks. Posted Image Some amazing live music has been there.
Easily the coolest venue anywhere is western Canada or NW US. But MechWarrior is cool to so its all good. Posted Image All you couch potatoes going should get into shape because the women are beautiful in Vancouver. I'm sure there will be a few that will blow some minds. Posted Image

'Couver is nice and all, but being someone on Vancouver Islander, that $60 ticket is going to quickly become more like $360 for me, once I factor in ferry, food, hotel and parking...

#15 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:43 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 30 June 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

'Couver is nice and all, but being someone on Vancouver Islander, that $60 ticket is going to quickly become more like $360 for me, once I factor in ferry, food, hotel and parking...

It doesn't have to be expensive. But it can become so in a big way really fast... Amazing city though. I think the best tourist attraction is Stanley Park and it doesn't cost a thing, definitely worth going to see, to see the water and things like that.

#16 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:45 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 30 June 2016 - 10:35 AM, said:

Not even factoring in the need for a planeticket in the range of 1300-1700€ ... a bit much for a weekend of nicely dressed lasses and some robots ...

#17 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:47 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 30 June 2016 - 10:43 AM, said:

It doesn't have to be expensive. But it can become so in a big way really fast... Amazing city though. I think the best tourist attraction is Stanley Park and it doesn't cost a thing, definitely worth going to see, to see the water and things like that.

Yup, I know, I was there about a month ago with both my kids... Just pointing out that being on Vancover Island, it can get really expensive, really fast going to Vancouver... And don't even get me started on going to see a Hockey game...

#18 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:51 AM

Complex mechanics?

So Nascar or wait and poke from cover with a 60+ alpha is complicated?

No, Esport games have strategic, and tactical depth, along with a wide, competitive balance. This game has none of these things.

So to answer the question of how does MWO work as an esport? It doesn't.

#19 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,767 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:54 AM

View PostMavairo, on 30 June 2016 - 10:51 AM, said:

So Nascar or wait and poke from cover with a 60+ alpha is complicated?

If you think this is all competitive is then I guess there should be more good teams right since that is one less factor in the equation? The hardest part of this game is positioning which suggests that there is more tactical depth than you hint at. Don't confuse PUG play with coordinated play.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 30 June 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#20 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:29 AM

whoah...where did you get that figure. Fact check please

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users