How Is Mwo Supposed To Work Als An E-Sport?

General

31 replies to this topic

#21 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:33 AM

View PostLord Lysander, on 30 June 2016 - 04:14 AM, said:

E-Sports, like Sport in general relies on a large crowd of enthusiastic amateurs, who want to watch the Pro-Events. My Question is, how is this supposed to work in MWO, where almost 25% of the overall Population participate in the worldcup?
What popular Esports and real Sports have in common, is that they are easy to learn thus attracting many people who try them out and practice them on various levels of Skill. MWO isnt exactly easy on new players and who should be interested in watching it besides People that play themselves? Shouldnt PGI Focus on getting an audience First before organising a World Cup that Nobody besides the participants watches?

Clearly MWO leads the way in competitions that have more competitors than audience

#22 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:14 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 30 June 2016 - 10:47 AM, said:

Yup, I know, I was there about a month ago with both my kids... Just pointing out that being on Vancover Island, it can get really expensive, really fast going to Vancouver... And don't even get me started on going to see a Hockey game...

To save costs, we walk on the Ferry, take the Canada Line into the City. Still a decent hotel room in Vancouver is going to cost ya, so the only way you can avoid that is air B&B or be sure you can make it back before the last ferry to the Island.

#23 Baulven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 984 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:13 PM

The answer to that is there are mech packs to buy.

Edited by Baulven, 30 June 2016 - 05:58 PM.

#24 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:04 PM

View PostLord Lysander, on 30 June 2016 - 04:14 AM, said:

E-Sports, like Sport in general relies on a large crowd of enthusiastic amateurs, who want to watch the Pro-Events. My Question is, how is this supposed to work in MWO, where almost 25% of the overall Population participate in the worldcup?
What popular Esports and real Sports have in common, is that they are easy to learn thus attracting many people who try them out and practice them on various levels of Skill. MWO isnt exactly easy on new players and who should be interested in watching it besides People that play themselves? Shouldnt PGI Focus on getting an audience First before organizing a World Cup that nobody besides the participants watches?

When the “X-Games” came out I laughed and made fun of them

When car "drifting” came out I laughed and made fun

Two weeks ago I watched some world champion ship CS--go (I think) first person shooter game on cable
(I just got cable)
The whole time I was thinking MWO spectates better than that FPS

I been very wrong in the past so this time around I think I won’t be making fun of some stupid
Video game E-Sport

#25 Ted Wayz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:15 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 30 June 2016 - 10:15 AM, said:

Just like many mechanics new to this game, this tournament is like a prototype. They will get experience in doing such things and go from there. No big deal and some people have some fun. Sounds good.

If they could have done it without draining $100k from development I would agree.

#26 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:39 PM

People do not need to be active players to enjoy a tournament
Millions of people watch and enjoy starcraft tournaments who have never even played the game

Just like real sports , I am not required to have played or even know the rules of volleyball for me to enjoy watching a game of it on TV
I have never ridden a horse , yet I was completely captivated by full metal jousting

A public facing competitive scene draws new players and new money over time

We already have the ultra competitive players who run their own ladders and events
Why not give it a public face

I really don't understand why people get a bee in their bonnet over this
They are building the strength of the game

That means you get to enjoy it for longer and you get more features over time
It's not like they are choosing this over other things
They are just doing this first to do other stuff better later

#27 Mad Strike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:52 PM

mehhh everytime i hear "e-sport" sounds like make games small and practical instead of the masterpieces we used to have , personally , i hate esports and those who support them for that reason specially when people starts taking the competitive chunk , as a representative of the whole comunity , that end up scratching exelent ideas and suggestions because.....BALANCE.

Hell...... the only reason i purchase the "tournament supporter" pack was the goodies.

Edited by Mad Strike, 30 June 2016 - 05:59 PM.

#28 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:13 PM

View PostNaduk, on 30 June 2016 - 05:39 PM, said:

People do not need to be active players to enjoy a tournament
Millions of people watch and enjoy starcraft tournaments who have never even played the game

Just like real sports , I am not required to have played or even know the rules of volleyball for me to enjoy watching a game of it on TV
I have never ridden a horse , yet I was completely captivated by full metal jousting

A public facing competitive scene draws new players and new money over time

We already have the ultra competitive players who run their own ladders and events
Why not give it a public face

I really don't understand why people get a bee in their bonnet over this
They are building the strength of the game

That means you get to enjoy it for longer and you get more features over time
It's not like they are choosing this over other things
They are just doing this first to do other stuff better later

If I thought they were choosing this over making a full featured game I wouldn't be happy about it either. As it is, why not have some competition.

View PostTed Wayz, on 30 June 2016 - 04:15 PM, said:

If they could have done it without draining $100k from development I would agree.

Game development is going into the 100's of millions these days. Can barely get a decent car for 100k these days. This is a lot of fun for a lot of peeps and everything so its most likely money well spent.

One of the high rises I was working on, on Vancouver waterfront, has a waterfall in the entrance way. The builder had a thanks thing at the restaurant neareby right on the water for some of the guys. The bill was 15k. He had a few of those for the different trades.

Was funny I drank way to much and one of the girls kept telling me to order another drink, and the waitress kept saying, "This isn't a bar" and refused to bring me another. :) Then the chic would tell me to order another again and I would try again and get the same answer. :) Its funny now. :) I was personal friends with the builders brother so I didn't mind running the tab. :) Contrary to how this sounds I was just skilled labour doing back breaking work though.

One time I was at work doing a warehouse with like 50 foot walls... tons of work. Got pulled off the job into a board room with like 8 execs, for one of the makers of the materials we were using and asked how good it was and how it could be improved along with 3 other guys from around the city. Just lucky that way.

I told some of the apprentices. Some people pay to work out. We get paid to work out. With that in mind hard labour isn't so bad.

Edited by Johnny Z, 30 June 2016 - 07:41 PM.

#29 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:01 PM

Mechwarrior and Batteltech is not StompyRobots like HAWKEN , Its combined Warfare, and Mechs the smallest Part in this Great Universe =nothing for E-sport

#30 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:29 AM

perfect for Esport is a Solaris Mod , its a very little Element of BT Universe ,for Esport its perfect , not make the complete MWO to a Big Stompy Only Robots Epeen Game .. we will a only Arenafighting Star wars game ?

#31 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,767 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:51 AM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 30 June 2016 - 08:01 PM, said:

Mechwarrior and Batteltech is not StompyRobots like HAWKEN , Its combined Warfare, and Mechs the smallest Part in this Great Universe =nothing for E-sport

Ummmm, Mechwarrior has been only about Stompy Robots, the only game to have combined arms was the unofficial title in the series and that was Living Legends. Mechwarrior is about mechs, it's in the name for a reason, that's its selling point or at least that's what pulled me in when I found out about MW4.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 01 July 2016 - 06:58 AM.

#32 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:11 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 01 July 2016 - 06:51 AM, said:

Ummmm, Mechwarrior has been only about Stompy Robots, the only game to have combined arms was the unofficial title in the series and that was Living Legends. Mechwarrior is about mechs, it's in the name for a reason, that's its selling point or at least that's what pulled me in when I found out about MW4.

In all mechwarrior Titles you have Combined Warfare with KI Units , you have Combined warfare in the Machcommender series.Self driving others as mechs only in MW2 (or MWLL) you can drive in a mission a Pegasus Hovercraft

the BT Universe perfect for PvE ,campaigns ,all this ,was missing in Games before ,a nd what make PGI ...? a simple Arcade Shooter

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 02 July 2016 - 08:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users