Russ Will Review The Lt. Voice Your Opinion.

298 replies to this topic

Poll: Long Tom - Nerf or Remove? (375 member(s) have cast votes)

Long Tom - Nerf or Remove?

1. Nerf it (138 votes [36.80%])

Percentage of vote: 36.80%

2. Remove it (237 votes [63.20%])

Percentage of vote: 63.20%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 AnTi90d

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • Locationhttps://voat.co/

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:51 PM

Russ is finally going to take action:

I am asking for the Long Tom to be reviewed - I personally prefer less dmg but just as frequent but I am open to opinions

https://twitter.com/...046429775663104

-----

So, do you want to see the Long Tom nerfed or removed?

Russ votes to nerf it.

I'd say remove it because some people won't come back to FP unless it's 100% gone and others will never again drop Invasion with LT active. I understand that money went into developing and implementing it, but it now has a stigma attached to it. Even in a reduced damage and increased delay form, its existence would still reduce the number of people willing to play.

-----

So, it's time to voice your opinion.

You can Tweet a reply to Russ's Tweet:
https://twitter.com/...046429775663104

You can send PGI an email:
feedback@mwomercs.com

Or, you can do both.

If you don't speak up your voice will never be heard.

Edited by AnTi90d, 04 July 2016 - 12:53 PM.

#2 Duncan Aravain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 416 posts
  • LocationBehind you with a sharp tool...er,mech

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:08 PM

I will do all of the above, although I still don't feel my voice will be heard. Why would PGI change now?

Edited by Duncan Aravain, 04 July 2016 - 01:09 PM.

#3 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:10 PM

I dunno. It doesn't sit right with me that Mechwarriors "won't come back unless it's gone". Maybe next they "won't come back unless there's no big bad Kodiaks" or something. Feels like an outbreak of namby pambyness.

Reduce LongTom frequency I suppose But I believe there needs to be a compelling reason to Scout, and if teams can't be bothered stopping it blowing out to 90% there should be a consequence beyond a benign satellite sweep.

Edited by Appogee, 04 July 2016 - 01:11 PM.

#4 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:11 PM

I don't care either way.

If it's removed, I would be in favor of denying/limiting airstrike/arties as a compensation.

If it's nerfed, both time to the next detonation and damage has to occur. If it has to be as effective as an airstrike/arty, I'm fine with that. It cannot be an insta-gib tool that it is as currently constituted.

Edited by Deathlike, 04 July 2016 - 06:00 PM.

#5 Tanil Kane

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:31 PM

I don't have a Twitter, but for anyone that does.

Can you ask Russ why the Long Tom was already reviewed and tuned to 300 damage, and then reverted in a later hot fix to 1650?

He may not be aware of the damage being reverted back to pre reviewed state. I have little faith in PGI's version control or QA, so it's quite possible they still believe it's doing the tuned down damage

#6 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:31 PM

I think the whole mechanic of it is wrong

The thing is a goddamn tactical nuke, which I didn't think was used until the jihad broke the Ares convention in 3070, and you don't launch them randomly at intervals, in a battle your winning.

If it had been of a sensible radius, at sensible frequency, doing a sensible amount of damage, that just needed tweaking, i'd be in favour of it remaining, but it's done so much damage to FW and P.G.I's shaky credibility, it's got to go.

I'd suggest it's replaced with free consumables for each player of the team with the long tom lit, it's sensible it's not crazy damage, and its practical.

P.G.I should be able to code this without to much time and trouble, because you can use them for free in the testing grounds now.

#7 AnTi90d

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:42 PM

View PostTanil Kane, on 04 July 2016 - 01:31 PM, said:

Can you ask Russ why the Long Tom was already reviewed and tuned to 300 damage, and then reverted in a later hot fix to 1650?

You have to be either very lucky or have a nose covered in brown to get a reply from Russ.

View PostCathy, on 04 July 2016 - 01:31 PM, said:

(consumables) you can use them for free in the testing grounds now.

I did not know that.

Edited by AnTi90d, 04 July 2016 - 01:42 PM.

#8 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:18 PM

Don't allow emotion to cloud your judgement. Losing the Long Tom would be losing an important piece of TT. The only thing worse than losing that would be to lose the Urbanmech. Always nerf if it's OP, never remove.

#9 S T I N G S

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:21 PM

I would like them to nerf the damage and the time that it should be used per match ex. going from 2 minutes to 7.

#10 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:41 PM

Biased poll is biased.

#11 AnTi90d

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:50 PM

The only other option would be for it to stay as it is, which will not happen.

It will either be nerfed in some fashion or removed.

Russ supports it being nerfed.

I am asking for the Long Tom to be reviewed - I personally prefer less dmg but just as frequent but I am open to opinions

#12 MortZA

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:16 PM

I'd prefer if its firing was conditional.

Maybe if you're down several mechs, or it's been X minutes and you haven't made any headway to completing an objective (e.g. gen kills)

So it's a comeback mechanic for later in the game.

#13 sparkomech66

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:28 PM

For the L.T. nerf, without it there is no need for scouting in the current FW. Keeping it simple and to the point.

#14 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,897 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:56 PM

Willing to bet that LT will NOT be taken out of the game. At best hope for a nerf, but I cannot fathom it being removed.

To remove it they would have to redo scouting. They would have to edit that video they made. They would have to admit that player feedback actually matters and/or that PGI/Russ really doesn't know best.

If they nerf it, then at least Russ can say something along the lines of "Incremental changes and adjustments of game mechanisms were always my intent with this mode from day one. We just needed the additional data that this event provided to determine the extent of the adjustment that was needed to further perfect the Long Tom mechanism." Nerfing it allows him to continue to insist that he knew what was best all along and that players/customers are as always ignorant and on their island.

#15 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:58 PM

I would like to see a nerf to damage and the amount of times it can drop.

Make it drop every 6-10 minutes instead of every 2.

#16 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:12 PM

they should remove it

even if it did radically less damage, it wouldn't add any kind of fun or interesting dimension to gameplay. The other scouting 'rewards' are actually pretty cool in that they have strategic inputs on invasion games; long tom is just damage, and worse, totally automatic damage

get rid of it; either come up with something more interesting as a replacement, or just set the satellite sweep and combat ID as rewards for being 1/3 and 2/3 of the way through the scouting bar.

View PostAppogee, on 04 July 2016 - 01:10 PM, said:

I dunno. It doesn't sit right with me that Mechwarriors "won't come back unless it's gone". Maybe next they "won't come back unless there's no big bad Kodiaks" or something. Feels like an outbreak of namby pambyness.

Reduce LongTom frequency I suppose But I believe there needs to be a compelling reason to Scout, and if teams can't be bothered stopping it blowing out to 90% there should be a consequence beyond a benign satellite sweep.

yeah, the consequence is 'nobody plays invasion on that planet anymore'

does this sound like a good outcome to you?

#17 Karmen Baric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • LocationSarna

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:48 PM

View PostAssaultPig, on 04 July 2016 - 05:12 PM, said:

they should remove it

yeah, the consequence is 'nobody plays invasion on that planet anymore'

does this sound like a good outcome to you?

that is why they should remove it indeed

#18 KODIAK-AU

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 168 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Australia

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:11 PM

Over the weekend we had the long tom on our side, was funny the first few times it went off, but quickly became very boring as the LT did most of the work. We ended up having bets among ourselves as to how many mech's it would kill.

I would rather have it removed with something else put in it's place that is not instant win mode.

#19 McHoshi

• 1,163 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:33 PM

Long Tom nerf would be real fine. A damage nerf and also a time nerf ( down from 2 to every 5 Minute ) Posted Image

... and do not forget to make a real huge announcement about that long tom nerf :P

Edited by McHoshi, 04 July 2016 - 07:35 PM.

#20 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:29 PM

View PostMcHoshi, on 04 July 2016 - 07:33 PM, said:

Long Tom nerf would be real fine. A damage nerf and also a time nerf ( down from 2 to every 5 Minute ) Posted Image

... and do not forget to make a real huge announcement about that long tom nerf Posted Image

Putting it at the 5 min mark would require more coding, more coding than doing it at the 6 min mark, keeping inline with the current way it works in conjunction with Sensor Sweep.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users