Streakcrow Vs Smpl Nova In Scouting

42 replies to this topic

#1 beerandasmoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:41 AM

Which is better? I prefer the Nova myself but would like others thoughts and opinions.

#2 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 561 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:39 AM

Small pulse crow.

10 to 12 lasers as you prefer and stormcrow speed.

I have been trying 11 lately.

#3 beerandasmoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:27 AM

View PostRemover of Obstacles, on 03 July 2016 - 06:39 AM, said:

Small pulse crow.

10 to 12 lasers as you prefer and stormcrow speed.

I have been trying 11 lately.

I havent tried a pulse crow yet. A lot of the pilots im dropping with are getting pulverized in crows. They seem to wilt pretty easily to heavy AC and SRMs. Most of them are running streaks though and tend to stare. I got five victories to go so I will give a pulse crow a shot and see how it goes.

#4 Straker XL

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 51 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:34 AM

You only need 1 streakcrow in the lance. I run a ersl Nova exclusively in scouting. It has the heat efficiency to run through the whole team fairly easily if you place your shots well and pump both coolshots into it. Nova is slower than the crow, but I think you will find it's a great deal better at handling aggro with it's smaller profile, jump jets, and structure quirks. It's great at keeping it's lasers up and dps flowing as long as you're not getting flamed.

Also, the arm mounts, while low, are great for brawling and tracking orbiting lights. The convergence on the hardpoints is quite tasty giving you the ability to focus components at close range if you have the steady trigger hand.

#5 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:57 AM

Kinda prefer the ER Small Nova myself. Small Pulse Nova is good too, not as good at sustained fire but that damage isn't going to spread much.

Storm crows with SRMs (not streaks) and a few lasers is also good, and I believe harder to lock down with flamers.

#6 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:08 AM

5MPL Crow ;)

#7 Fiona Marshe Pureborn

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:04 AM

Depends on your ping and framerate.

Definately Streaks for me, as when the target jitters across the screen at 150kph, the lasers don't pinpoint very well.

#8 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:23 AM

Don't use more than 1 streakcrow in your lance, ever. Rest SPL or ASRM.

One is enough to hardcounter lights, everything more just hurts your ability to win. If you are dropping against 4 Griffins, every single streakcrow is a streakcrow too much. Streaks are absolutely terrible against 55t IS mechs with structure quirks.

#9 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 561 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 04:37 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 04 July 2016 - 03:23 AM, said:

Don't use more than 1 streakcrow in your lance, ever. Rest SPL or ASRM.

One is enough to hardcounter lights, everything more just hurts your ability to win. If you are dropping against 4 Griffins, every single streakcrow is a streakcrow too much. Streaks are absolutely terrible against 55t IS mechs with structure quirks.

Some one else put it a bit rougher in another post, but at lower tier play streaks help people that are aim challenged.

At higher tier play, not controlling the damage is a disadvantage.

#10 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:25 PM

either way it's ezmode, so it's moot.

#11 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 561 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:11 PM

I tried out the Nova with 12x ERSL. I stand corrected.

It is pretty nice.

I miss the speed, but the damage/heat and the structure buffs do help make up for it.

I will definitely look at switching out my Stormcrow now.

#12 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 05 July 2016 - 08:31 PM

9 SPL Nova or my fav - the 8 SPL/4MG Nova (watch how fast it'll tear legs, way faster than 10SPL) - use the quirks from the omnipods for each as well.

Less outright damage but much longer/improved DPS = faster leggings in a hot/fast brawl.

#13 Albino Boo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 02:05 AM

The Nova has one downside is its lack of speed. You can't chase down a light.
IS is finally learning and running a lot of Griffin-2Ns with ecm as counter to streak crows. These days I run LBX-20 with a bunch of Er Sml on a Crow or streak cat running counter ecm

#14 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 06 July 2016 - 02:24 AM

A SCR isn't going to be able to chase down a 150km/h+ light anyway. Given no-one runs anything but a locust anymore because the others are all to easy to destroy in scouting. You're never going to catch it no matter what mech you bring, SCR/NVA or otherwise unless maybe a Jenner IIC.

If you're facing 4 locusts, you're basically gonna lose unless you get lucky and kill two off. That is probably the only scenario where bringing 4 streakcrows will work effectively, maybe. I would still bet you can't kill anymore than 1 and if they divebomb the DZ 3 at once, you're cooked.

Edited by R31Nismoid, 06 July 2016 - 02:24 AM.

#15 Albino Boo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:52 AM

View PostR31Nismoid, on 06 July 2016 - 02:24 AM, said:

A SCR isn't going to be able to chase down a 150km/h+ light anyway. Given no-one runs anything but a locust anymore because the others are all to easy to destroy in scouting. You're never going to catch it no matter what mech you bring, SCR/NVA or otherwise unless maybe a Jenner IIC.

If you're facing 4 locusts, you're basically gonna lose unless you get lucky and kill two off. That is probably the only scenario where bringing 4 streakcrows will work effectively, maybe. I would still bet you can't kill anymore than 1 and if they divebomb the DZ 3 at once, you're cooked.

You can get close enough in streak cat using masc

#16 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:00 AM

And this thread sums up why the IS PUG groups are raging against scouting.

#17 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:18 AM

None, NVA is too slow unless you play River city.

streacrow is, well streaks, works only vs noobs. Speed is also just semi ok.

when yoru speed is too low, you will end up only havign reactive options towards any team with full speed lights because they will be deciding if any contact happens or not.

You guys should igve the ice fugly a try it's doing a pretty job in both, speed and nice firepower. Or IIC jenner.

View Postnehebkau, on 06 July 2016 - 06:00 AM, said:

And this thread sums up why the IS PUG groups are raging against scouting.

because they are unable to dela with streaks or slow mechs? yeah they should lern to scout, pugs are pugs and they lose becaue they pug hard and don't play smart. Why can't those lern form the good palyers how its done and copy that? it's not THAT hard to copy this behavior. Bt pugs fight vs streaks in the open, where they can't lose locks, and with lights, So of course it will fail.

I played my srm adder for a a while, and it was indeed fun, but vs the good teams the speed is the key and even the adder lacks it. so scr and nva are to slow and streaks are lol yes, winbuttons vs noobs.

Edited by Lily from animove, 06 July 2016 - 07:02 AM.

#18 Baulven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 984 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:45 AM

I am trying a 6 ERSL 6 ERML build right now and it's a bit weird but versatile. I need to spend more time in it to give it a real rating though.

#19 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:02 AM

View PostBaulven, on 06 July 2016 - 06:45 AM, said:

I am trying a 6 ERSL 6 ERML build right now and it's a bit weird but versatile. I need to spend more time in it to give it a real rating though.

I play this as my main pug and Invasion build, it's nicely versitile, yet for scouting you need quick damage with a good sustained damage. the 6CERML are screwing this a bit because they are horribly hot and have a horrible lng burn time compared to the smalls (with or without er). But in scouting most stuff does happen in extremely close combats so the extra range you pay a lot heat for is most times just not worth it.

#20 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:21 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 06 July 2016 - 06:18 AM, said:

because they are unable to dela with streaks or slow mechs?

Lily, being a {Richard Cameron} helps no one. The problem is a 70+ alpha nova (small laser/small pulse laser 2-shot alpha) and a 65+ alpha crow (small laser/small pulse laser 2-shot alpha) mech running in scouting mode that has no counterpart on the other side. Those damage values are, currently, in assault mech range and given that scouting happens at close range at some point in the match only an idiot would not realize how this could piss off IS pilots.

How would clanners feel if PGI gave IS a griffon variant that had 14 energy hardpoints on it? I now exactly what would happen, rivers of tears would endlessly flow and the cries of "IS OP IS OP!" would ring out across the land.

Lets not kid ourselves with bovine scat -- in the hands of a pilot who can even marginally aim and control their heat those two clan mechs eat up IS mechs.

@ the OP -- the nova, though slow, is a BRUTE (Unless you have focus-fire IS pilots who are taking out your legs you will take a ton of abuse before going down). The structure on it and the massive alpha make them nasty.... but consider the equally good smpl crow for its speed. You can't go wrong with either. And ignore the streak-crow they spread damage out too much and you will lose against an IS smpl 45 tonner.

Edited by nehebkau, 06 July 2016 - 07:26 AM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users