How Many Will Go To The New Battletech Game When It Is Out?

70 replies to this topic

#21 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,771 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:14 PM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 05 July 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

That depends if it has quads or not.

It should have quads since there is no technical reason it shouldn't, and then we get to hopefully see what kind of magic Alex can use on the Quads, if he is the person doing concept art for the HBS only content that is.

#22 KHETTI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:16 PM

Turn-based games don't appeal to me, so no.

#23 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:18 PM

I`ll leave, I may return but that`s when the game will be a Mechwarrior game not some arena shooter. In the end probabilities are very low.

#24 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:21 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 05 July 2016 - 12:14 PM, said:

It should have quads since there is no technical reason it shouldn't, and then we get to hopefully see what kind of magic Alex can use on the Quads, if he is the person doing concept art for the HBS only content that is.

Alex + Circus Mechs = ?

;)

#25 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:22 PM

Me, I more hope that we get to see the last two most common mechs in the IS...

Wasp
Stinger

All that being said, I will most likely play it, as my MWO time is in the dirt, the constant team solaris VII death match game play has gotten very tiring for me.

#26 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:27 PM

May give it a look to see what it's like but I'm not and never have really enjoyed turn based video games. Kinda have the view point that's what TT is for. I like the live, fast action of MWO.

That said, I kind of hope the new BT game goes over well.. you *may* see some reverse cross over from BT to MWO. Similar line of reasoning.. seems to be a lot of MWO players that want to also play BT game to complement the Sim with a story line/immersive experience. Likewise, BT players may get interested when they hear "you know you can also play all those mechs in a live Sim game..."

We shall see, but for me the short answer is possibly but very little if any.

#27 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:31 PM

Wat.

This game and the new B-tech game are two completely different type of play styles.

Of course I'm going to play them both, who wouldn't want to take a break from playing a tactical standpoint as to on the front lines? and vice-versa.

#28 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:32 PM

MWO is in greater danger of losing players to a new Battlefield game than it is to a TT based game.
Might lose some of the lore-hards, but they are not a huge segment of the population and frankly dont do much in the way of positive contribution.

#29 Felbombling

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:34 PM

I, like many here, will play both. BattleTech fix from two different sources.

#30 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:34 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 05 July 2016 - 12:32 PM, said:

MWO is in greater danger of losing players to a new Battlefield game than it is to a TT based game.
Might lose some of the lore-hards, but they are not a huge segment of the population and frankly dont do much in the way of positive contribution.

Either way The new BattleTech game by HBS is sharing the concept and models of MWO's mechs and such.... so, PGI is making some money either way.

Edited by Procurator Derek, 05 July 2016 - 12:35 PM.

#31 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,771 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:35 PM

View PostTercieI, on 05 July 2016 - 12:21 PM, said:

Alex + Circus Mechs = Awesome

Completed the equation for you since the Viper was a circus mech in its own right before Alex got his hands on it.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 05 July 2016 - 12:35 PM.

#32 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:38 PM

They have said they are using MWO Models, so from what I understand and what HBS has said, if it is not in MWO, it will not be in HBS Battletech. Now they could do modles just for HBS, but I doubt that is likely.

#33 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:38 PM

I'll be gone to play it on my island.

#34 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:43 PM

Turn-based strategy is no substitute for FPS. I've been playing XCOM2 these past few days, on account of the Steam sale. Great game, I've been an XCOM fan since I was 10 years old, playing UFO: Enemy unknown in my pyjamas.

But it's just a single player turn-based strategy game. You play through it once, maybe twice. Then you leave it for a while, maybe come back to it after a year.

Unless Battletech turns out to be completely revolutionary, which I doubt, it's going to be just like the XCOM games, for me. A short and sweet experience you repeat every now and again. Not a game to play for weeks and weeks, multiple hours per day.

#35 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:00 PM

Either or? Why not both? I love the BT universe so it doesn't matter to me if it's FPS sim like MWO or a turn based RTS TT esk game like the up and coming HBS BT... So... BOTH.

Still want my succession wars or star league era battle tech on HBO.

#36 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:09 PM

More importantly, how many people's MONEY will go to one game vs. the other.

That will come with results. If Harebrained manages a game that meets expectations and provides content, they get my money. PGI's concept of robots = content without the ability to develop things past a certain point is a wall that can only be climbed by getting good in the developmental staff department.

That Paul has been stymied this long indicates he's not gonna manage it any later than he did sooner. And that's a shame.

#37 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:17 PM

View Postwanderer, on 05 July 2016 - 01:09 PM, said:

More importantly, how many people's MONEY will go to one game vs. the other.

That will come with results. If Harebrained manages a game that meets expectations and provides content, they get my money. PGI's concept of robots = content without the ability to develop things past a certain point is a wall that can only be climbed by getting good in the developmental staff department.

That Paul has been stymied this long indicates he's not gonna manage it any later than he did sooner. And that's a shame.

BT is a buy it once kind of game. MWO is a free to play game with monthly mech releases for real money. If anything, PGI might notice a dip in sales for a few months.

I was one of the first 100 backers on Kickstarter for BT, and I'm stupid excited for it. I still play MWO, but I'm finding less and less overall.

In fact, most of my battletech itch/gaming time has gone towards a Megamek HQ campaign against the Bots.

#38 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:19 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 05 July 2016 - 12:35 PM, said:

Completed the equation for you since the Viper was a circus mech in its own right before Alex got his hands on it.

LOL. It's not alone in the "Alex made this '80s piece of junk look cool" club either.

#39 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:33 PM

Sadly even for BT hardcore fans those two games will be too different to make it an either/or choice. If HBS would make another MW game, PGI could finally reap the fruits of the debacle they call MWO, pack their things and get out.
But at least if HBS makes a good and successful game, MWO can finally die without people saying "It's better than nothing and when it fails, no one will touch the license anymore".
The best thing HBS can accomplish is to show that the BT license can be worthwile if you don't suckat making games and/or alienate your customers like PGI does for a few years now.

#40 Baulven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 984 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:35 PM

If it has strong sales I wouldn't be surprised if HBS puts out a few expansions for battletech (see shadowrun another niche market) which will probably include later timelines. What I really want to see in the future is being able to create your own campaign and matchmaker so I can play against my old tabletop buddies online.

But I am getting ahead of the pack quite a bit. Let's see how the initial release goes first.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users