- - - - -

Improving At Specific Maps.

8 replies to this topic

#1 Moric Kazimir

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:27 AM

I'm terrible at The Mining Collective. Like BAD. I have won probably 1 of 10 games there. I know I'm in the terribles tier still but I have a decent (I think) 1.7 K:D ratio with my win rate being about the same. I cringe when I see Mining Collective come up on the screen to vote, and while beating my head against the "Ice" maps that are favored a LOT of the time, I'll take those every time over the mining collective.

It doesn't matter if I'm in a Cheetah, Dire Wolf or Stormcrow. I can not win on that map. I'd like to say it's because of brawling but the missiles are just as annoying. Skirmishes, I'll never win. Domination I can pull off with a light harassing and grabbing points but that is the only time.

I swear it seems like when I get voted into this map I jump up several skill levels in players.

Are there any tactical tips anywhere for specific maps to allow you to improve at them or use the environment that you wouldn't normally see to your advantage?

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 08:42 AM

Mining Collective.

First and foremost, never go into the middle and if you can, dilly-dally a little while but do keep up with at least someone. If possible try to get at least one other player to join you in patrolling the outer rims. You want to be able to shoot toward the middle but not be in the middle. If you find high ground, use it until you're shot at and then relocate. Never stay in one place for too long. The map is a maze and the best thing about a maze is getting lost; you want them to lose you. Meanwhile you will always know that there will be some moron in the center who needs to die. As player numbers dwindle you can become more adventurous. Keep your wingman near you as much as you can and remember to never engage more than two enemies at once; if possible try to keep engagements two-versus-one and remember to switch off who plays 'tank' as much as possible. "I'll tank this one, you tank the next."

Posted Image

Beware the center, for it is dark and full of terrors. (Game of Thrones reference).

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:02 AM

Koniving gave an excellent summery of what to so on Mining, while on all maps stopping in one place is bad Mining is one of the least safe to do that, there are so many passage ways and relatively low obstacles that your enemy can quickly relocate the bulk of their team, leaving just a few Mechs to hold your attention while the others swing around and flank you.

Try to move in cover (and there is A LOT of cover on that map) and try to ambush your enemies, avoid letting them ambush or flank you.

Mining seems to favor short range and mobility

#4 Warspawn

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 86 posts
  • LocationBack Home Again...In Indiana...

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:18 AM

View PostKoniving, on 07 July 2016 - 08:42 AM, said:

Beware the center, for it is dark and full of terrors. (Game of Thrones reference).

HA! Sorry...now to clean the soda off my mic ... good one! Posted Image

#5 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 10:00 AM

death ball all maps!

You dont need to know where to go, just follow the blob!

You dont need no stinking tactics! Death blob wins all maps!

#6 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:37 PM

View PostMoric Kazimir, on 07 July 2016 - 06:27 AM, said:

I'm terrible at The Mining Collective. Like BAD. I have won probably 1 of 10 games there. I know I'm in the terribles tier still but I have a decent (I think) 1.7 K:D ratio with my win rate being about the same. I cringe when I see Mining Collective come up on the screen to vote, and while beating my head against the "Ice" maps that are favored a LOT of the time, I'll take those every time over the mining collective.

It doesn't matter if I'm in a Cheetah, Dire Wolf or Stormcrow. I can not win on that map. I'd like to say it's because of brawling but the missiles are just as annoying. Skirmishes, I'll never win. Domination I can pull off with a light harassing and grabbing points but that is the only time.

I swear it seems like when I get voted into this map I jump up several skill levels in players.

Are there any tactical tips anywhere for specific maps to allow you to improve at them or use the environment that you wouldn't normally see to your advantage?

If you are outfitting your mech for a specific type of terrain, you will always have this problem. I tend to favor energy weapons for example, so Caustic and Terra Therma are a huge chore for me.

It is not the Chassis that is the problem...it's your loadout.

Tactical tips will be largely useless without knowing your preferred playstyle. What kind of combat do you like the most? Brawling? Scouting? Striking? Support? Sniping?

And yeah, Mining collective is one of the more popular maps (This one and Canyon Network will almost always win when they come up, because everyone likes them).

#7 Gibson Ibanez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:51 PM

Koniving hit the nail on the head. It is like the hypermodern school of chess thinking. You can still fight for the center, just use pieces and attack from the periphery, instead of occupying the center directly.

I had the same problem with mining collective. I have had success when packing close range weapons, (AS7-D-DC, KDK-SB, BJ-1X) using cover, and stalking the outer edged with teammates. I suck at this game but if I can do it, you can too!

Staying with the blob herd is usually the right thing to do, (except when the herd starts grazing in the center pasture at the mining collective and gets picked off and chewed up by cunning wolves.)

#8 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 07 July 2016 - 05:16 PM

See I'm gonna go against Koniving, of course not to say Koniving is wrong as I know he knows what is what.

What I love doing when I can is
Stage 1: taking the mid platform hard/early. Usually there is 1-2 lone-rangers up there, kill them off with a big/fast/agressive push (majority of the team style)

Stage 2: Then work out where the next split group between betwen E3/4 or C3/4. There is almost always something like a big fat DWF or similarly slow mech or a bunch of Meds who've pushed too far. Once you find them, just charge at them. Some go down the ramp from the middle and either left/right while other mechs drop off the edges from top at the buildings on the same side and just swarm them. Some mechs can stay up high shooting down etc as well.

Aggressive play wins Mining IMO as people often are not in the proper positing and it's hard to get it in most places on that map. Sitting back and wanting to snipe usually ends in a loss unless you're in a really light team that is very manoeuvrable

All the above said there is a much more important factor.

Adv Seismic Sensor. On Mining in particular, seismic is absolute KING. As it's a maze, lots of corners, lots of immediate elevation. Just because you can't see something does not mean there isn't something there below or above you. Hence seismic will give you advanced warning of something around a corner or perhaps a corner you should not go around meaning to pull back or not. So get used to side-stepping/stopping briefly to check for any movement, you'll find that over most other things makes the most difference as UAVs - not everyone has one, and they can be shot down.

Edited by R31Nismoid, 07 July 2016 - 05:18 PM.

#9 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 July 2016 - 05:45 AM

Mining is a challenging map. Koniving's suggestions work for sniper builds and fats lights. For brawlers, stay with the group. You do not want to be left at the back of your pack on this map because the enemy will be trying to pick you off. Also, if you can load a UAV. If you have several enemies that appear on seismic but your team mates seem pretty oblivious, pop the UAV. It may not last long, but at least it can give your friendlies a heads up.

On this map, like most maps in this game, do not stop moving. This does *not* mean move at mazimum speed. It does mean, keep moving slowly forward (I like to refer to this as nascar at the speed of assaults). Keep moving forward and some enemies will retreat when confronted with large nubmers of opposing forces. Others, however will stay to try to cover the retreat. Take out the rear guard and keep moving forward.

When you stop moving in this game, eventually the enemy will flank you or hit your rear. The longer you stop, the more likely this is to happen. This is not a position you want to be in. Be aggressive, but also be smart.

Note that a lot of these suggestions work equally well on other maps such as Caustic Valley.

Edited by mailin, 09 July 2016 - 12:29 PM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users