Linebacker Preorder Is Up

118 replies to this topic

#81 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:44 PM

View PostBigBenn, on 07 July 2016 - 12:07 PM, said:

*sigh*

There is more to MWO than a mech's ability to alpha. Sometimes a mech was designed for a specific role and there are more roles than apha strike sluggers. If some of you cry babies would read up on what role the Linebacker was designed for you just might think differently.

Likewise... the mech hasnt even launched yet and it has already been branded. Sad.

Check yo tears, bros!

I'm no alpha warrior, certainly not a meta tryhard, but I've been around long enough to know a lemon when I see one. I'm certainly not crying. I'm actually cracking myself up laughing about the Linebadder, the Clan's new worst heavy-to-be.

One less thing I'm tempted to spend money on does not make me sad one bit. But hey, enjoy your potato if that's your thing.

#82 RedDevil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 702 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 01:53 PM

This mech would be fine if it was valued by some other metric than "tonnage".
Balancing by tonnage has always been silly. Imagine if this thing only took up a medium slot, or only costed you 55pts of your drop limit?

#83 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:06 PM

View Post0bsidion, on 07 July 2016 - 01:44 PM, said:

I'm no alpha warrior, certainly not a meta tryhard, but I've been around long enough to know a lemon when I see one. I'm certainly not crying. I'm actually cracking myself up laughing about the Linebadder, the Clan's new worst heavy-to-be.

One less thing I'm tempted to spend money on does not make me sad one bit. But hey, enjoy your potato if that's your thing.

I gotta say this to your argument and everyone else's at saying it's the worst heavy now:

LOL

why? (I'm not trying to be rude or anything about the lol but it cracks me up everytime someone says that Linebacker may contend as the worst heavy, the Summoner)

1) 1st day of Preorder sales day

2) Concept art to only go off of

3) Faster than a Summoner (and torso twisting at 5 tons less*)

4) more options than a Summoner

5) 5 tons lighter than a Summoner*

I mean c'mon, they aren't even the same tonnage!!! if they were the same I would possibly agree, but no, they aren't the same Tonnage. It may be bad, but not as bad as a Summoner.

Oh wait, there's more, would you rather prefer the Charger, perhaps?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Charger

yeah. didn't think so.

#84 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:09 PM

View PostProcurator Derek, on 07 July 2016 - 02:06 PM, said:

It may be bad, but not as bad as a Summoner.
Hey... I like my Summoner...

#85 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:14 PM

View PostMole, on 07 July 2016 - 02:09 PM, said:

Hey... I like my Summoner...

I used to as well, but after something more agile caught my eye and was less tonnage ( a hellbringer), then it was over.

I did score #5 on the leaderboard event for that thing, back when there wasn't a mix of mechs to choose from and the lines were more clear and sub-par mechs were easier to play in.

This is stupid, people calling it garbage, because of pod space alone.

What, you want it to pew pew like your ebon? like your hellbringer?

I dunno what you wanted this mech to be, but if I catch a few of you trying them out or have bought them after saying what you said, I'll just mention to you on chat;

"hey I thought you said it was garbage? what happened?"

I'll stop adding the salt to my drink now. I'm just going to see how well it can run builds via theorycrafting.

#86 ICANHASCHZBURGER

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts
  • LocationVermont, USA

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:15 PM

It is sporting the brushguard of a pickup truck in front of the cockpit.

Preorder comes with winch module.

Posted Image

Edited by ICANHASCHZBURGER, 07 July 2016 - 02:29 PM.

#87 Funkin Disher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 590 posts
  • LocationPPC Apocalypse Bunker, Sydney

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:41 PM

Looks mighty impressive, but I won't be buying it until C-bills. There's just nothing special it can do compared to what we already have.

#88 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:00 PM

View PostWill9761, on 07 July 2016 - 10:32 AM, said:

All I know is that the Linebacker better have a Football related Warhorn, like a person yelling "Touchdown!" or a theme similiar to this:

Is English used in the game? I thought all we got were unintelligible grunts due to all the brain damage going round there.

#89 Cybrid 0x0t2md2w

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 97 posts
  • Locationthe chewy cookie behind you

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:05 PM

no! it can't be a heavy shadowcat! if it had jumpjets at least and/or ecm, maybe.

that's why I got the shadowcat, it's fast, jumpjets ecm possible and.....well....the masc isn't needed. Usually I wanna take locke equipment off for more ammo....

#90 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:07 PM

Linebacker will NOT be Catapult size, kill that dream right now. It doesn't have boom boxes as ears, to eat up that volume.

#91 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:09 PM

View PostRedDevil, on 07 July 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

Balancing by tonnage has always been silly. Imagine if this thing only took up a medium slot, or only costed you 55pts of your drop limit?

By what exactly??

At 55 tons i would still prefer crow over this but hell i can imagine ppl wanting faster mech, but then you also cant nascar forward and your speed wont mean much in 12v12 brawl that is commonplace in cw and it will only slight help in long range laser sniping which happens way too much in qp, in both of those cases ill rather take slower but better armed crow.

Edited by davoodoo, 07 July 2016 - 03:10 PM.

#92 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:15 PM

I never liked the mech in TT, I can't see MWO being much different.....

#93 ScarecrowES

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,812 posts
  • LocationDefending the Cordon, Arc-Royal

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:19 PM

View PostRedDevil, on 07 July 2016 - 01:53 PM, said:

BV?

Tonnage is largely irrelevant for Quick Play. Don't have to worry about wasting a "heavy" slot on your team by bringing a "glorified medium" any more than you have to worry about wasting a "medium" slot if you bring a Cicada or Viper. You just need to bring an effective mech... every indication being that the Linebacker has what mechs in MWO need to be effective.

For FP, you need mechs that fill a needed role in your roster. If you're playing on the Clan side, you already recognize the value in fast striker mechs that can tank a bit of damage. Right now, there's a glaring hole in our available mech selection to fill that role. The IS has several that do the job. The best we can put forth are compromise mechs. Good mechs, yes, but compromise. The Linebacker will be our first fast striker that can actually soak some damage.

View PostFunkin Disher, on 07 July 2016 - 02:41 PM, said:

Looks mighty impressive, but I won't be buying it until C-bills. There's just nothing special it can do compared to what we already have.

It's the first native 100kph heavy. I'd say that's reasonably special.

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 07 July 2016 - 03:07 PM, said:

Linebacker will NOT be Catapult size, kill that dream right now. It doesn't have boom boxes as ears, to eat up that volume.

Doesn't need the boom boxes. It's got more mass in its torso than the Catapult.

View Postdavoodoo, on 07 July 2016 - 03:09 PM, said:

.. in both of those cases ill rather take slower but better armed crow.

Equally armed. There's a mere 1.5 tons difference between the effective equipment tonnage between the two. Less if you go zombie and strip the arms.

#94 Belacose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 539 posts
  • LocationArlington Texas

Posted 07 July 2016 - 03:26 PM

I have a new strategy now - just purchase the $20 standard packs before the 'Early Adopter Awards' expires and only upgrade later if the mech turns out nice.

Early Adopter Rewards alone seems like one of the best deals the game ever offers. If the mech ends up sucking then just sell all three variants for even more c-bills.

#95 Kadreal

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:27 PM

Am I the only one that thinks a fast hero mech called 'Redline' really should be MASC capable?

How are we going to hit the redline without MASC?

#96 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:31 PM

View PostKadreal, on 07 July 2016 - 04:27 PM, said:

Am I the only one that thinks a fast hero mech called 'Redline' really should be MASC capable?

V-Tec

#97 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 04:41 PM

View PostKadreal, on 07 July 2016 - 04:27 PM, said:

Doesnt need masc, red unz go fasta by the power of warp.

#98 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:10 PM

View PostProcurator Derek, on 07 July 2016 - 02:06 PM, said:

I gotta say this to your argument and everyone else's at saying it's the worst heavy now:

LOL

why? (I'm not trying to be rude or anything about the lol but it cracks me up everytime someone says that Linebacker may contend as the worst heavy, the Summoner)

1) 1st day of Preorder sales day

2) Concept art to only go off of

3) Faster than a Summoner (and torso twisting at 5 tons less*)

4) more options than a Summoner

5) 5 tons lighter than a Summoner*

I mean c'mon, they aren't even the same tonnage!!! if they were the same I would possibly agree, but no, they aren't the same Tonnage. It may be bad, but not as bad as a Summoner.

Oh wait, there's more, would you rather prefer the Charger, perhaps?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Charger

yeah. didn't think so.

Allow me to retort:

1) 1st day of Preorder sales day <- What's that got to do with anything?

2) Concept art to only go off of <- Wrong. They've posted the specs. We know what hard points there are, the type, how many, and where they are located. We also know that unless you get the Reinforcement pack the hard points are pretty anemic. We know it has a whopping 16.5 tons of pod space. We've also got previous experience to go off of.

What does anemic hard points and lack of pod space make? A bad mech.

3) Faster than a Summoner (and torso twisting at 5 tons less*) <- So you can out run a Summoner. Slightly. Great if you're trying to win a ribbon at a track meet. Not so good if you're in a heavy mech that's being outperformed by mediums.

4) more options than a Summoner < Stumped me here. What options exactly? Sucking more? No ECM, no MASC, not even jump jets, and less pod space. I suppose if having less everything qualifies as more options, the Linebadder wins.

5) 5 tons lighter than a Summoner* < lol OK. But the two 65 ton Clan mechs we already have can wipe the floor with it, so how's that help? Unless you think contrasting it against the EBJ or the HBR somehow makes the Linebadder look better?

And as far as the Charger goes, yes, the main variant is a bad joke, but take a good look at the others. It stops being quite so funny after that.

But hey, to each their own. Buy one, maybe you'll get lucky and win the quirk lottery.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy running the occasional bad mech myself. I like my Shadowcat after all. So who knows, despite all its issues maybe it'll still be fun for people to play. I just don't see much appeal in playing Gargles kid brother personally.

#99 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:43 PM

Art work looks great.

The 20$ pack doesn't really appeal to me. - they would have needed to swap one of the three for one of the reinforcements.

And The chassis doesnt offer enough variety from what I have to have me wanting to spend more than $20.

This is looking like a cbill mech for me at this stage

#100 Garfuncle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 276 posts

Posted 07 July 2016 - 06:52 PM

All arguments based on the current meta of high alphas will be moot when power draw is introduced.

For all we know with its speed and armor it could be an amazing clan heavy when one can't alpha past 30 damage without incurring the wrath of global ghost heat.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users